Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Citi recently redid their entire rewards structure and converted everything to Thank You points across all of their cards.

Does anyone know if the Citi Premier card redeems Thank You points for full value now? They previously did not, but then they did for a while, and I have no clue if it was a temporary thing or permanent change. Their own website doesn't seem to say specifically and just says that the 80,000k Thank You point bonus can be cashed in for "$800 in gift cards."

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-premier-credit-card

If you have a double cash you can link your rewards accounts and just get cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Space Fish posted:

Glad to see the Custom Cash redeems for cash back at one cent per point.
Not glad, however, at the "almost there!" delays in receiving my card. Not sure who's at fault, the postal service or Citi (or both), but first Citi said my card would arrive by the 16th, then said it was out for delivery today... still nothing.
Been over a week since it shipped, that's all I'm saying!

With city rewards + linked you’ll get an extra 10% so 5.5 cents back per dollar spent (until they devalue thank you points)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I started a thread in C&D to talk specifically about churning since that seems to be at cross purposes to this threads focus on solid all around long-term cards:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017817

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bentai posted:

What happened to them?

Their reviews are heavily biased towards advertisers and companies that give them referral bonus.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Oh cool perfect. Hey look it's the exact same 25 goons I see in all the other threads I frequent

I think a project mapping goons who post to threads to other goons who post to those threads and then running cross referencing would be really interesting. Six degrees of separation from people you'd probably prefer to have sixty.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

The Amazon promos make sense to me because we have that card and never carry it. It’s just a permanent 5% discount at Amazon from our perspective.

It had 10% on gas up until yesterday as a special promo. So, thank you for reminding me, I'm taking it out of my wallet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

On a semi-related note, is there a good app or other process for reminding you which card to use when? I've seen a couple apps that are unnecessarily complicated, require subscriptions, want you to log in to your card accounts... all I'm looking for is a better "given that I have these cards, if I'm making this kind of purchase, I should use this card" solution than my notes app.

Maxrewards is pretty good, though by far you get the best value if you have Amex and and Citi cards since it will auto add the merchant offers for you. It also tracks subs and the offers you can often get to keep a card. It's a pay what you will. You do have to give the app your log in / password to have it interact with your account.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

I generally remember, but occasionally I miss edge cases and rotations and get annoyed at myself.

If it's pay-once and not subscription, I'll give it a look. Thanks!

No it’s subscription but you can choose to pay 1$ as far as I know.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card that I don't use. I opened it as a Savor back in 2020, downgraded to a Savor One after a year, then did a product change.

According to Credit Karma, it will drop my available credit by 13% but my utilization is usually <2% anyway.

I know that it's often recommend to keep your cards open with periodic purchases to help your credit score, but I'm already 800+ and it doesn't seem like this will hurt much. Should I just let it close so that it's one less account to worry about?

The account will remain as a factor on your credit for 10 years after you close it.

Also they may not close it for a really long time.

If you use amazon you can set up an auto-reload of a 5$ gift card once a year and that will probably keep your account active enough, but closing it also probably won't make any real difference.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

Guess if you want to churn, you have to play the "try to get the annual fee waived" game now.

You just wait till the 2nd annual fee posts and then cancel and they refund it. This isn’t really new.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Well, after trying every day to log in and getting "uh-oh, something went wrong, please try again later" every time, I'm unlikely to bother with them. Which is a shame, because I primarily use Citi and Amex.

It can be a bit tricky and sometimes appears to net synch up right. Sometimes I have to get a code from Amex to enter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

If you have the Business Platinum or Business Gold, you can a 25 or 35% rebate on flights (booked thru Amex not transferred to use as an award flight).

Alternatively, the Schwab and Morgan Stanley cards allow cash out at 1cent per point (1.1 I think with Schwab?)

It's 1.1 CPP for Schwab right now, afaik you can cash them out directly into a ROTH IRA, they don't count against your limit for the year and you never pay tax on them, so you could say they are worth 1.1 * Mgtaxrate in that sense.

I think Amex is good if you travel a lot and want to grab the 1x lifetime subs, after that not so sure it's worth paying 700 bucks a year, though I do get compliments on my AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM CARD.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

That is wild, why don't they count against your yearly IRA cap? And how complicated would it be to do that and then empty the Schwab IRA into an existing Vanguard or Fidelity one? :allears:

My understanding is it’s not a contribution of earnings it’s a rebate.

It is also a grey area like back door Roths and other things with no formal IRS guidance.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Baddog posted:

Getting extra into a Roth with credit card points is a pretty cool trick. So you need to accumulate a ton of amex subs, then cap it off with the Schwab plat and rip them the points out before having to pay the 2nd annual fee eh. The regular no-fee Schwab card doesn't let you do it?

The Amex Schwab Platinum is a separate product, so technically you get 3 "one time" sign up bonus for platinum cards, Vanilla, Morgan Stanley, and Schwab. So if you do 1 for a year then sign up for the second then the 3rd that's 3 annual fees for 3 years of platinum benefits (6 years of annual credits possible since a lot of the credits are calendar year).

this is my current "credit card strategy".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

If you do a lot of shopping on Amazon, buying gift cards there can be useful too.

You can set Amazon to buy a gift card on a specific payment card every 6 months or a year.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

There's a way you can remove the scratch off covering the PIN code and put it back to make it seem like nothing happened.

This seems to be getting pretty endemic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are you still using Bilt? Have you had any issues with it? I’m thinking about signing up basically just to use for rent, but I was looking for some reviews of it from actual users, as opposed to a site like TPG. Anyone else using it?

I’ve heard a lot of people having fraud issues with Bilt.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

truavatar posted:

This seems legit. I put my email in to get the coupon and all the links seem real. If I do it I might go to a branch just to make sure...

I got a $600 bonus last year. Chase does this, and it's "churnable" if you open the account then close it and wait 2 years they will do another one.l

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Can a direct deposit be something I initiated myself to my Chase account? For example, a Wise transfer or a transfer from a different bank account.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/

Basically, sometimes, it varies.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Plat has one of the best subs right now, citi prestige and chase sapphire just cut their subs.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

We are going to be traveling and having some higher travel vacation costs (flying to Hawaii).

I haven’t churned and burned a credit since 2020, and that was the only one I’ve done since like, 2017.

What’s a good travel card to get whatever cash back on expenses , then close out after a year of use ?

I think if you've never gotten an Amex plat now is a pretty good time, 125,000 points + 10x on restaurants. Theres IHG card and also the Chase Sapphire Reserve have good subs right now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

In my limited experience (I have checking at Alliant along with a bunch of supplementary savings buckets for annual bills. but have never used Ally) Alliant seems to be basically Ally, credit union edition. All of the things I've heard people say about Ally have been true for Alliant as well, with only a few minor variances in things like ACH transfer times (Alliant is faster) and limits (neither one is low enough to be an issue, but Ally's are higher). Alliant's HYSA is %0.5 lower than Ally's, but in exchange they aren't dealing with rampant account theft right now, so... :shrug:

Funds are tight for me atm, but when it's time to rebuild the emergency fund I'm planning to stick most of it in $SGOV and just leave like two month's worth in Alliant checking to continue using them as my hub bank. They seem to be the least bad option in that regard.

Alliant has one of the only greater than 2% flat cashback cards (2.5%, up to 10k per month) that you can get (must keep 1k on average in checking account). Also they did an "open a checking account, get a $200 avocado toast and latte gift card). Credit unions are less bad than banks.

My one complaint with them is their funds availability policy for checks deposited via mobile, it seems a bit slow. My old CU essentially made the funds available instantly after a while of depositing reimbursement checks that always cleared from the same vendor (i.e. my work).

I've switched to Alliant as my main bank account. they also do promotions that existing customers are eligible, there's one right now: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alliant-credit-union-400-checking-savings-cd-bonus-for-new-or-existing-members-code-fastpass/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I appreciate any and all input, so thanks. I looked at the summary in the OP and the only thing with that one is having to hold a bank account with them too.

I'm averaging about 500-700 in utilities and smaller bills, so this would just switch from paying at the head of the billing cycle to the end with the benefit of increasing my credit score.

(e: My rent is dumb high, so taking this off ACH and eating the cc fee in exchange for higher utilization doesn't sound smart to me. )

I don't really travel anymore for work since 2020, so for now, mileage and travel bonuses aren't a factor in a card. I also don't know that the difference between 1 or 2 percent at the level of spending this would cover is really all that crucial either.

I already bank with chase so I'm thinking of going with the basic card, and maybe upgrading that to the annual fee one with travel bonuses whenever I begin to have to do that again. Does this sound solid, thread?

it sounds like the low effort option, personally I'm a big fan of Alliant, better savings rate, checking with interest, best all around solid flat cash back card and they are a credit union so their purpose is to benefit their members or a cause, not making rich people even richer, but chase isn't literally the worst of the big banks, it's only like... 3rd worst.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I have two Visa credit cards - one from Bank of America and one from a local credit union. Is it possible to transfer some of the credit limit from one card to the other? They are way disproportionate with the BoA being over $15k and the credit union is $6k. Frankly I never plan to use the BoA one again except for a small purchase every 12 months to keep it open.

There is no way to transfer a line of credit from one lender to another. Some banks will let you reallocate credit lines, others won't.

If you ask for a credit line increase every 30-90 days, and keep using the card, they should increase it. You want to let some activity post to the statement, then pay it off.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you all balance SUBs vs PCs in terms of managing your number of cards and average account age? I have an Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Delta Skymiles Blue, both of which are 16 years old, and I'm thinking of getting a Blue Cash Everyday. I already have a dozen cards.

Get subs when you can, pc if you can to a no AF card, if you can't cancel it. If you do this consistently for a couple of years you'll have about 8 cards and it wont really matter if you open and close one within a year. In the short term you'll take a credit hit for opening new cards and your avg age of accounts going down, but if you stick with this strategy for at least a year or two then you'll basically have helped your long term credit score go up and be relatively proof against opening new cards or closing cards.

Amazon has a feature where you can set a card to auto-reload a gift card for any amount, so you can schedule a 5$ gift card purchase every 6 months on your delta skymiles blue so it stays open.

You probably won't be able to PC from a Delta Blue to a non-delta card. Banks usualy consider co-branded cards to be a "family".

I have like 12 credit cards now, I've opened like 6 in the last year, and made about 1.5k or 2k on subs (gross, not net).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Hey all, would love some advice on opening some new cards.

I don’t currently have a liquid $10k that I can drop into an alliant account.

It sounds like what you want is a flat cashback card. There's Citi double cash, and if you get that and a citi rewards card you'll get 2.2% cash back, but the .2% on a delay at end of year. You could also grab a Citi custom cash and use it for all your groceries and get up to 5% (and another 0.5% if you get the rewards+ card) on 500$ a month.

There's also the fidelity 2% flat cash back card.

There's also the alliant 2.5% flat cash back card, you need to keep 1k (not 10k) on average in your checking account to qualify for the 2.5% cashback, if your average daily balance for the prior month is below 1k you'll only get 1.5%

I'd learn towards advising you to change your banking to Alliant, and advising for the 2.5% cashback card, a hassle in the short term but credit unions generally offer better fees/interest rates than banks since they don't need to make a profit to give to their shareholders, their shareholders are the depositors.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Just wanted to further plug Alliant and say that they appear to have changed their tier 1/ tier 2 rewards systems for the 2.5% cashback such that you get 3 months of automatic tier 1 rewards while you move your direct deposits and such.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm planning on switching to Alliant for all my banking and credit card needs, but also want to pare down the amount of cards I carry one me. Anyone have any recommendations for wallets to archive cards that are nice to have but don't need on a daily basis? I was thinking of getting some $20 Ridge wallet knockoff.

EDIT: I guess a rubber band would work.

One thing you can do if you want a card to never get cancelled is set up Amazon auto-reload a gift card once every 6 months or a year.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Veskit posted:

If you're exchanging for cash only then I don't see a use for the rewards plus card outside of the intro bonus. The costco does better than it in every way, and then the custom cash can be used for groceries.

It also rounds up, you always get at least 10 points or something so on purchases less than 5$

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

This sounds great, but aw man they apparently had a 80k point sign up bonus for the premier a month ago but now it's down to 60k

It goes up and down, if you're not in a rush wait a few months it'll probably go back up to 80k points.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

literally this big posted:

Do I need to go for the Premier first, then Custom Cash, then downgrade the Premier into a second Custom Cash, all in order to get 2x Custom Cash? Or could I go for the Custom Cash now and still get a second one later?

I wouldn't mind waiting on the Premier, but could use the Custom's 5% right now for all my eating out.

Basically yes, citi won’t give you a second custom cash but they have let people product change their other cards into a custom cash when they already have one.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

dpkg chopra posted:

My third year Amex Plat renewal is coming up, and since there's no retention offer, I don't think I can justify the Annual Fee.

That said, we travel locally about 3-4 times a year, and internationally 1 or 2 times a year. Enough where the perks are nice, but not enough to gain significant status just from miles, so the Plat is great for being able to access the Sky Lounge/Centurion Lounge.

Right now, all I can think of is downgrading myself to a Blue Cash and getting an Amex Plat in my wife's name. It's not ideal because my wife hates dealing with Credit Card poo pootm.

Also, we're in NYC and not Atlanta so maybe the Delta Loyalty is not worth it?

Not really sure what my question is, I guess I'm looking for Opinions on travel cards?

Once the AF posts, go into the chat and tell them you are thinking of cancelling the card, they will tell you about the credits, tell them not worth it, and they may come up with an MR offer for a certain amount of spend.

If you do cancel the vanilla plat:

You could get a schwab brokerage account (if you invest $50 they'll give you $101 in shares of the top 5 companies in the S&P, but you can cancel the trade once it's posted and keep the $101).

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/open-schwab-brokerage-deposit-50-get-50-bonus-schwab-starter-kit-offer/

Then sign up for a Schwab amex Platinum, get 100k MR for 6k spend in the first 3 months. It has all the normal benefits of Amex Platinum (lounge acces, Uber cash, other credits) and still gets 5x MR points for the same categories as the vanilla Plat.

In a year if they won't give you a retention offer then cancel it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

I'm in the same boat, the Amex is coming up again, and I'm not exactly sure 650/yr is worth it these days. Need to figure out what to do with 300k Amex points. I used to cash them into Delta to fly others, but haven't had the need in a while.

If you get the Schwab plat you can cash out points at 1.1 cents per MR to your Schwab accounts

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

literally this big posted:

But do I need to go for the Premier first?

Could I go for the Custom first, then the Premier, and then later downgrade the Premier into a second Custom?

I believe that will work. If they say no id hang up and try again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

Amex annual fee came up again, so now its time to do the "is it worth it" dance on this card. If I wanted to cash out my MR points, do I have to open a Scwab account, then get the "schwab" version of the plat card, then cash them out?

Or does it make sense to open a little Amex MR account, close this Plat, then do the Scwab + Plat thing next?

I've got 300k MR points, so its worth the hassle to do once, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle to keep this expense card ALONG with the expensive AA card I have. Gotta do the math on the rewards value of all these things.

As long as you have some card that can earn MR points you keep your banked points.

So you've got some options:

Open an Amex card with no annual fee that earns MR points, like the Amex Everyday Credit Card (no AF, 10k MR for 2k spend is currently showing)

Tell the chat (wait till the AF posts) and tell them you are thinking of closing the card. People frequently get loyalty offers, like some MR for some spend.

Open the Schwab Amex now, before your AF posts, then they'll just transfer.

Or some combination of the above. If you're willing to manage it grabbing the Amex Everyday card can be nice because they will periodically give you an offer of like 30k MR to upgrade it to preferred, then you can downgrade once the 2nd AF posts, and 30k MR for 95$ is a net profit of $235. Many users report being able to do this every year or two, though this valuation of points requires you to have the Schwab Plat to cash out at 1.1 cents per point.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

Any idea if I'm going to have to pony up the AF on the Schwab Plat when issued?

You will.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

drk posted:

Just got my first new credit card in a while. Among other benefits, they are giving me 0% interest for a year. I'm usually a pay off in full person, but given that it is easy to earn 5% or so on cash at the moment, any reason to not carry a balance at 0%?

I realize there may be a small hit to my credit if my utilization increases, but my credit is excellent, and my total credit limit is high enough that I cant imagine utilization getting over 10% or so.

Not it's essentially "free money" if you are going to just tuck the payments into a HYSA and earn a few hundred basis points on them. Your credit score might take a few points of hit but as soon as you pay it all off it will go back up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

Which cards don't backdate interest if you fail to pay them off in the period?

Some charge regular interest - i.e. you don't pay off during the period, end of period interest starts accruing interest. Some if you don't pay off the balance before the end of the promotional period, they go back to the beginning of the period and charge you all the interest. The fine print is nuts sometimes, and synchrony seems to be the one most likely to have offers with really brutal hidden caveats.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

drainpipe posted:

Quick question. I just signed up for the 90K Chase Sapphire Preferred. Is topping up Amazon balances ok to meet the spend for the signup bonus or will Chase not credit you for that?

Technically it may not be (if you did into the fine print), I would just make sure you aren't buying lots of even amounts, if you can at all add some kind of 1.79 purchase to your $250 gift card order or whatever. They really have no way of knowing what you bought but if it's a totally even number that could potentially get you flagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Cross-posting this in case any non-churners know the answer

I think they've been pretty stable, however a lot of people think the shift to Thank You points is a presage to devaluing those points or their gain for certain cards at some point.

Nobody can really predict to well, they have these big models and they run them, and then they update with the latest quarterly data. They're looking to maximize profit, so if they believe devaluing the points will help them, they will.

The other reality is the more points banked the more likely they will rebalance, because essentially 1 million points worth 100k is a liability of 100k for them. So if that banked point number grows to 10 million, it's a 1 million liability, so a 20% devaluation goes from reducing a liability by 20k to 200k.

To me it generally seems like the points most often devalued are straight hotel/miles points. Other point systems like Chase/Amex/Citi seem to get devalued less often, though some of their transfer partners may become less valuable.

Personally I feel pretty safe with Citi points, they can be redeemed for cash at virtually any time, so your floor is that. I don't think any of the big cards have done instant devaluations, there's usually some warning.

Generally you don't want a to bank a huge amount of points anywhere, and over time you probably want to build up access to a couple of points eco systems, it's the safest, especially if you're at all willing to chase the (sometimes 1x per lifetime or 4 years) big SUBs.

If you're just a 1-2 solid credit cards person, I wouldn't bank a lot of points.

I guess I'll put this in both threads lol.