Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have a friend who uses Wells Fargo and sent info about the 2% card. They replied that WF made them enroll in text messages, which takes 24 hours to activate, after which time they will be allowed to swap cards.
Is this bank's acronym WF or WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm pretty content with a 2% cash back card, but 100K points on the Sapphire for spending $4,000 in three months is pretty drat tempting. At worst, that's getting a $1,155* rebate on some big spending. I understand the spending offer can include gift cards, so even if my usual expenses don't reach $4,000 I can buy a fat gift card for groceries that will get used later this year anyway. At best, I can convert those points into some fairly lucrative flight and hotel deals.

*$1,250 minus the $95 annual fee

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'd have to check if it was that Citi card, but I remember a popular cash-back card with seemingly good balance-transfer terms having a loophole of "if you transfer a balance in and pay off a new purchase on it, the transferred balance gets added to the fat APR on the spot." Be on the lookout! Googling isn't pulling up the loophole card at the moment, but I heard about it from a credit card youtuber.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Should I just apply for something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or is there a better bang for the buck thing out there?

The sign-up bonus on the CSP is at an all-time high and has flexible redemption options. If you can responsibly hit the spending target in the three months allotted, I say go for it.

Have a flat 2% cash back card for things not really rewarded by either CostCo or Chase card (not restaurants, CostCo, gasoline, travel, some streaming). Honestly, the CSP and CostCo cards are both really solid, and please tell me you're taking advantage of the Executive Membership for an extra 2% off at CostCo. They refund you the added sign-up cost if it doesn't pay for itself after a year!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got an "invitation only" offer in the mail from FNBO for a "generous cash back rewards" card... oh poo poo finally hit the big leagues, let's take a look at the terms...

1% back?!

gently caress outta here

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For me it was their role in the subprime mortgage run-up, complete with "mud people" commentary about their customers, but there are few wrong answers for staying the hell away from Wells Fargo. If they are truly the only physical bank in your town, then fine, enjoy their 2% card I guess, but I would stay away.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thoguh posted:

If I had absolute trust that I would be reimbursed both quickly and with zero risk of anything being denied I would love to put all my work expenses on a personal card and reap all the rewards

What's that, workplace? We need to stock up on some snacks and drinks for something, and the purchase will be reimbursed? I'll run through CostCo, no need to thank me *makes maybe $4 in percent back from executive membership and card bonus*
Heh heh heh... the perfect crime.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

smackfu posted:

Is there any particular reason not to use Pay Yourself Back for Chase Points if you get the 1.5x CSR redemption?

If you want the money, take it. Redeeming points through Chase's partner airlines/hotels can jack up the multiplier several times higher, though. All depends on your plans and whether you can take advantage of the more ludicrous partner deals.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I've already got the Chase Freedom Unlimited as a daily driver for adding points to a Sapphire Preferred, how much more value would I realistically get from adding a Freedom Flex? I know that would complete the Trifecta and all, but it's also one more card to track (all within the Chase app, thankfully). Does anyone here feel properly rewarded for tying and untying a Flex from quarterly categories, or is it an annoying hurdle? It would at least rake in another $200 signup bonus in exchange for the ding to my credit score...

Looking at past categories, I think internet, phone, groceries, and WalMart could net an okay return at 5% back, but the rest wouldn't affect me. Anyone rocking the Trifecta want to complete my conversion?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It all depends on the average age of your line(s) of credit and how it would be affected by closing the Barclays one. If you have other cards that are the same age or older, then don't sweat it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Hello, I was helpfully pointed to this thread from another sub forum where I asked about CC recommendations. Right now, I always use my credit union debit card for expenses but I've been thinking there would be some benefit to a credit card to get cash back and rewards, as I would plan to pay off the bill every month. I have had a "young adult" credit card for about a decade that I never really use and doesn't have any rewards or benefits. I have good credit and want something I don't have to worry about too much or spend too much time/effort on. From about 15 minutes of searching on Nerd Wallet and the OP here, it seems like Chase Freedom Unlimited or Citi Double Cash may be a good fit for me. Does that sound right to the "experts" itt? I have a moderate/low level of monthly expenses between groceries/eating out/drinks/entertainment/etc., often paying with the joint account debit card I have with my partner.

Chase Freedom Unlimited is a good workhorse card. 3% back for restaurants and drugstores can add up quickly alongside the 1.5% regular rate, and redeeming points isn't a hassle.

If you use Costco, their Citi card is a good, flexible option too. 4% gas, 3% restaurants, extra 2% in store, and it also serves as your membership card. Useful stuff!

If you want one card, no fuss no muss, I might go for the Fidelity or Wells Fargo 2% cash back card. The FNBO Evergreen is also a flat 2% cash back card, but I don't know anyone who uses it so :shrug:

The Citi Double Cash is always explained as "1% when you buy, 1% when you pay," which makes me wonder if that results in slightly less than 2%. If not, then that's a solid option too!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn’t Fidelity make you deposit the 2% in an account with them?

Yes, and that account can be a money market account, which is functionally a checking/savings account. You can transfer the money from there or use it toward a card statement.

Combine that with Fidelity's no-fee ATM card and you've got a great combination. You could get the 2% back in cash from another bank's ATM.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pseudanonymous posted:

Do other people like plan out a credit card for different things?

I went through kind of the 5% categories and stuff and ended up with a spreadsheet saying charge this here and this here to maximize rewards.

Easiest strategy is one 2% or more cash back card. Easy peasy.

A combo strategy can squeeze a little more value. 2% driver plus a rewards card with some 3-6% categories. Not too tricky.

Min-maxers end up with three or more cards, using each one for a different specific purpose. Detailed point redemption/multiplier rules are involved, but the effective reward rate jumps to 3-10%

BabyJebus posted:

One of my friends used a label maker to label all his wife’s cards.
“Groceries”
“Gas”
“Restaurants”
“Frivolous”
Yes, really, and yes they’re still married.

Is your friend Ask Sebby?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chase Sapphire Preferred sign up bonus is back to 80,000 points, which is worth over $800 in cash back and likely also travel rewards. Easily worth at least a churn, would also be a great start into the Chase ecosystem in general.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Girbot posted:

Citi Custom Cash is probably the best grocery card now, right?

Thank you for making that case. I've been leaning towards getting a Citi Custom Cash as a grocery card (spending under $500/month on that category, but 5% is 5%, plus $200 SUB).

Chase trifecta can't touch that reward rate, even with 2x value through travel partners. The Flex already did the grocery category quarter for this year, and I'm ineligible for the Freedom's one-year 5% grocery reward.

Edit: aaaand I was instantly rejected for a Custom Cash. Is Citi wary of low credit utilization or adhering to their own version of 5/24? Because otherwise, I ought to be as close to a safe bet as an applicant can get.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 20, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, I need to stop looking at these credit card websites and /rchurning, doctorofcredit etc.. stuff because it's making me crazy.

My getting rejected from a Citi Custom was a blessing in disguise - my intent was to use it for cash back on groceries, but the cents per point is much lower than sticking with my Chase Trifecta.

In other words, credit card websites have outlived their usefulness now that my current system is about as optimized as I care to make it. Claiming SUBs was fun for a while, though!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

CostCo's return policy is 90 days, try them first.

FWIW, I returned a Galaxy Tab S3 back in the day just because I didn't like the dimensions / how apps felt on it. No fuss, no muss, even got to keep the Google credit it came with.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mightygerm posted:

Depending on what your credit history looks like, don’t cancel the Wells Fargo card. Average length of account can be a big factor in your score.

Seconding this. Keep the old card just in case.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between the universal 2% of the Active Cash and their new "Autograph" card (3% back on travel, restaurants, gas, phone plans, and some streaming services, no annual fee), there's a strong one-two combo for anyone in the Wells Fargo ecosystem.

Japan's opening back up to tourists in October and I'm not looking forward to figuring out the maximum redemption route for my Chase points...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Loan Dusty Road posted:

YMMV - 10% back on gas with Chase Amazon Visa in Q4. Promo applied for me.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16066078-s...ntpage_recombee

Thanks for sharing this! Chase probably let me in as a bribe to get stagnant accounts active again, and my Chase Amazon card is in ancient status.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points multipliers kind of suck across airlines. 1.1x, 1.2x... seems like UR points are most useful for their 2.8x value multiplier when transferred to Hyatt hotels. Everything else, you may as well redeem for cash and take the 1.25x from the Sapphire Preferred / 1.5x from the Reserve.

The Chase trifecta's value still exceeds a flat 2% card's value for my level of spend, but the popular pitch of "the points will transfer to partners for double value!" is really a Hyatt pitch. Valuable, but not quite the broad advantage I imagined.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Residency Evil posted:

What's this now? 2.8x multiplier for hyatt transfers? How does that work?
Sorry for the delay, had to dig through my history and find an example... though this one leads to 3.72 cents per point:

"The Points Guy posted:

For example, let's say you wanted to visit Tampa, FL next year, and you're eyeing the Hyatt House near downtown. For a three-night stay over Easter weekend, you'd spend over $1,300 for a standard room.

Booking the same room by transferring Ultimate Rewards points to Hyatt would set you back just 36,000 points, giving you a value of 3.72 cents per point.

Separately, I plugged in the last 12 months' expenses into a credit card rewards calculator and am finding that the 1.25x points in my Chase Trifecta categories only generate about $38 in value, meaning that even with the $50 hotel credit, I'm spending an extra $7 on the Sapphire Preferred's annual fee. The 100,000 point sign up bonus was completely worth it that first year, though.

I am thinking the most efficient play from here would be to transfer my existing points to Hyatt or some other high-value partner, use them up for a trip in the coming months, let the Preferred expire, kill the Freedom Unlimited, and just lean on my flat 2% card plus Costco card. Maybe keep the Freedom Flex around for 3% off drugstores and 5% off of quarterly categories and Chase travel portal (which usually price-matches Google Flights / Kayak). Resulting percentage back categories would be:

5% travel
5% groceries (when applicable on Flex)
4% gas (thanks Loan Dusty Road for temporarily making my ancient Amazon card relevant again with their 10% offer!)
3% drugstores
3% restaurants
2% everything else

Does that all make sense? Any gaps/opportunities I'm missing here?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

The Chase trifecta's value still exceeds a flat 2% card's value for my level of spend, but the popular pitch of "the points will transfer to partners for double value!" is really a Hyatt pitch. Valuable, but not quite the broad advantage I imagined.

Chase's "Pay Yourself Back" allows me to redeem points at a 1.25x rate... on quarterly categories. The current categories are charity and Airbnb. That's my annual Harvest Hope donation, at least, but also one more card's rotating categories to track.

Redeeming for cash back offers no multiplier. Chase Sapphire Preferred is lacking incentives to keep me from canceling once it's renewal time. What is a good downgrade path from here? I already have the CFU and CFF, but is the basic Chase Sapphire still an available pivot?

vvv Thanks! vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

runawayturtles posted:

If you also have the Sapphire Reserve, the points redemption multiplier boosts the Freedom Unlimited to 2.25%. The Sapphire Preferred boosts it to 1.875%.

Otherwise, for just basic cash back (so ignoring the possibility of transferring to a travel partner for better value), not really.

Some conditional asterisks to put on Chase Sapphire points:

*Redeeming points for money in the bank is 1 cent per point, no multiplier.
*The Sapphires' multipliers only take effect on either paying for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal (planes, hotels, rental cars available through Chase) or for statement credit in Pay Yourself Back which has quarterly purchase categories.
*Another redemption route is gift cards, most of which are 1 cent per point but some are have a 10% discount or 1.1 cents per point.
*Travel partner mileage may vary. Among airlines, some partner programs have a 1:1 point exchange rate, while others may redeem at better rates if you are flying to a specific country.

There are a lot of factors to consider, at least for unwashed poors like me.

actionjackson posted:

for just basic cash back, is there any reason for me to use chase freedom unlimited over the WF active cash card?

To answer the original question: If those are your only two cards, then use the Freedom Unlimited for restaurants and drugstores for the 3% back and book travel through Chase for 5% back when applicable, and use the Wells Fargo 2% back everything else.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 2, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I never trusted Citi, I still don't, with their bullshit thank you points. Just give people straightforward cash back!

Glad to see the Custom Cash redeems for cash back at one cent per point.
Not glad, however, at the "almost there!" delays in receiving my card. Not sure who's at fault, the postal service or Citi (or both), but first Citi said my card would arrive by the 16th, then said it was out for delivery today... still nothing.
Been over a week since it shipped, that's all I'm saying!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Citi Rewards+ could be interesting in the long run to nab that extra $10-20 of expected value.
Discover It might knock it out of the near-term running as I assemble a redemption automaton made of 5% rewards categories.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ham Equity posted:

I'm sitting on 190,000 Chase Sapphire rewards points. What's the best way to spend those?

Definitely looking to travel in the next couple of years.

Hyatt will net you 2.8x value if you transfer points over to World of Hyatt. Airline-wise the best value really depends on where you're flying and the airline.

Check out the Pay Yourself Back categories each quarter, good way to get 1.25x value from the points.

Gift card offers on Chase's site net you 1.1x, not amazing but still a boost and could help with buying a gift.

Right now on Amazon there are a number of items offering massive value on Chase point redemption, essentially "use Chase points in this purchase and get 50% off." It's limited to the first 80,000 customers who use the offer, so it could go away at any time. I only know about this one because Amazon had me sweating 50% off a Switch game a couple nights ago.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Three more no-fee 2% cash back cards:

Wells Fargo Active Cash - nice SUB and perks, including option to redeem cash back in $20 increments at a Wells Fargo ATM.
FNBO Evergreen - Straightforward choice from First National Bank of Omaha.
Synchrony Premier - Also straightforward, plus some Lyft, DoorDash, and Hello Fresh perks.

If someone wants to stick with the Wells Fargo ecosystem, then pairing an Active Cash with WF's Autograph card is a great one-two combo:

3% back on travel, gas, restaurants, streaming, and phone plans with the Autograph, then 2% back on everything else with the Active Cash.
(I avoid Wells Fargo like the plague, but I know enough people who passively stick by them that I have this spiel down pat.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unsinkabear posted:

Do either of the other two you mentioned have zero minimum on redemptions?

FNBO Evergreen redeems in increments of $25 for cash back or minimum of $10 for gift cards.

Synchrony Premier has monthly auto-redemption.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the recent chat is extremely relevant to me right now as someone with one side hustle looking to start a second in the new year and pondering an Ink Business Cash for the 5% back on phone bill, internet, and office supplies - glad to see that includes everything at Staples, OfficeMax, etc. so I can get the 5% for copies and printing (or get my own printer and load up on paper and ink).

Both gigs are small-time enough that I will stick with operating under my legal name, but this is all good info nonetheless.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hmmm, CSP pay yourself back categories through the end of 2023 are still AirBnB and select charities. I guess next time I travel I'll cash out my points and then downgrade to a plain Sapphire. I have the CFU and CFF, so restaurant/drugstore/Chase portal perks will all survive.

Tempted to apply for a Discover It, but it and the CFF have grocery stores covered for Jan-Mar, so I'll wait til at least April to dive in.

As of May, I'll be under Chase's 5/24 rule and can apply for an Ink Business Cash. SUBs plus more 5% back categories plus no annual fees.

Happy New Year y'all, let's stretch our narrow credit benefits further than ever in 2023!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

smackfu posted:

Did CSR keep restaurants for 2023 for pay-yourself-back or get rid of it? I closed mine so just curious.

I take back my earlier comment, Pay Yourself Back got even worse, and for both Sapphires:

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/credit-card/chase-pay-yourself-back-devaluation/

Preferred:
-Points can be redeemed at 1:1 value for purchases at gas stations and at grocery stores through March 31, 2023
-Points can be redeemed at 25% more for qualifying charities through Dec. 31, 2023

Reserve:
-Points can be redeemed at 25% more value for purchases at gas stations, and grocery stores, as well as towards the card’s $550 annual fee through March 31, 2023. That means you can cover a $500 grocery bill with 40,000 points – or wipe out the entire annual fee with 44,000 points.
-Points can be redeemed at 50% more for qualifying charities through Dec. 31, 2023

Also, just for an easy Airbnb dunk:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unsinkabear posted:

Worth quoting this old point SWD made to me, that during quarters with high spend categories like PayPal or groceries it can be worth it to have both Freedom versions, or a Freedom and a Discover It, even when they overlap.

That said, I can definitely relate. I've never gotten around to getting the Discover or new Freedom either. 5/24 is a harsh mistress and there's always something more profitable up first.

Out of curiosity, why product change down to a plain Sapphire (I didn't even know you could still do this) instead of the older Freedom version you don't already have? Is there any benefit to keeping travel portal access even when you no longer get a 25%/50% bonus for using it?

Thanks for reminding me about the basic Freedom option, I will probably choose that instead of the basic Sapphire when the time comes. Having a backup card in the same categories as the Flex could be useful someday (not currently batting over $1,500 per quarter in groceries or Paypal but you never know...).

Travel portal access in general is still good for my level of spend, since the CFU and CFF get 5% through it. Sometimes a different site or airline will represent a better travel deal, and other times Chase comes out even, in which case I gladly take the 5% rebate.

On top of all this Sapphire/Freedom/Discover It chat is how Fidelity Rewards and the Chase Amazon card have been bribing customers to use them more often with their own rotating categories. Fidelity's got a promotion going on that enhances their 2% Visa Rewards card with an additional 2% restaurant/theaters benefit through the end of January. Amazon's card recently had promotions for 5% at restaurants (fall 2022) and 10% at gas stations (just ended), looking forward to see which deal is next.

smackfu posted:

I thought you could always redeem points 1:1 for cash which makes this part meaningless.

"Our premium card benefits are bleeding us dry, someone get these nerds to either cash out at a lower rate or continue propping up the travel industry!"
-some Chase suit

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 1, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VorpalBunny posted:

We are going to make a big purchase (about $7000) in about a month, so I am looking for a decent sign-up bonus to take advantage. My friend is trying to get me to do the Amex Gold for 90k and he'd get 30k for a referral. I already have the Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back on groceries, but I'm ok to sign up for the bonus and to see if we can take advantage of the little extras with the card.

Are there any better sign-up bonuses floating around? Or is 90k Amex points worth the annual fee?

Chase Ink Business Cash has an offer of $900 cash back when you spend $6,000 in the first three months of opening the account. That's a 15% return, plus the established 5% back on phone bill, internet, and office supply stores.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Medullah posted:

Guys I need some emotional support. I just spent $300 at Costco and I couldn't remember which card had 5% at wholesale so I panicked and used my 2% Wells Fargo.

I treated someone to lunch over the weekend at a downtown Subway where the prices are higher than usual and I forgot Chase's 10% offer!

:rip: to my $2 and some change back

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pseudanonymous posted:

I think Amex is good if you travel a lot and want to grab the 1x lifetime subs, after that not so sure it's worth paying 700 bucks a year, though I do get compliments on my AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM CARD.

At the airport earlier this week there was a Clear representative asking if we had Clear or an Amex Platinum, and explained Clear was free for Amex Plat members. I can only imagine how hard some members must huff their own farts when they get that question. "Why YES, I AM an EXCLUSIVE member, tell me MORE about these AMAZING benefits!"

(just ribbing the Amex folks, most of y'all anyway)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

New Amazon Rewards Visa opt-in bonus arrived:

"Activate this special offer by March 31, 2023 and you’ll earn a total of:

5% back at gas stations
5% back on internet, cable and phone services
3% back at grocery stores

This offer is valid for every $1 you spend on up to $1,500 in combined purchases made with your Amazon Rewards Visa Card."

This card has really woken the gently caress up lately after years of slumber.

Edit: Huh, "this promotion is not available for the account you entered," okay. Prime only? Not for my zip code, perhaps?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 10, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have fallen for a gift card scam at my local WalMart. I used a Chase Freedom Flex to buy a gift card for a friend in need to help with their groceries. When they went to spend it, they were told the card had a $0 balance and was already spent in another state. The friend scratched off the PIN label, so there's no visual evidence left of if/how it was replaced. The scammer would have recorded the barcode and PIN in advance and tested the numbers each day online to see if any money landed in the account.

I have the gift card and my receipt showing I purchased and activated the card roughly a week ago. Is there any chance of:
1) WalMart spotting me a new gift card or refunding me? (haha no)
2) Chase letting me reverse the charge?

Either way, be cautious about physical gift cards, y'all.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Following up on the WalMart gift card fraud:

At the physical store: Customer service rep asked if I had the card and receipt for it. I said yes. She said she couldn't do anything and that I would have to call the phone number on the card.

Over the phone: Pre-recorded message about how WalMart doesn't do poo poo about gift cards, with reference to gift card policy on website.

Policy on website: Text version of "gently caress you got ours"

Chase over the phone: was familiar with this problem and initiated a chargeback.

At the very least, while waiting in line at WalMart I was able to dissuade someone from buying a gift card from the same rack I'd picked from.

+1 credibility to Chase for recognizing the problem, allowing a human being to speak to me, and doing something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Strong Sauce posted:

still curious where the point of attack is for this fraud... someone said they scratch it off and reapply the silvery scratch off thing... is that even possible? is there card info is already available without opening the card? maybe i haven't seen a gift card in a long time

The gift cards are not sealed in any way except for the sticker covering the end of the barcode and the PIN.
The crook scratches off that sticker to record both numbers and replaces it with their own sticker. This is very possible.
The crook then checks the gift card balance every so often on WalMart's website and spends it as soon as someone naively loads it up.
WalMart does nothing about this because they put all the liability on the customer. I guess too few people use credit card companies to claw back the charges for WalMart to do anything about it.
The guy I warned in person about this scam said his store keeps certain gift cards behind the counter because they tend to get targeted this way.