Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

What’s the recommended 2% cash back card to get? I have like 5 cards to chase rotating categories, but still a lot of my purchases don’t fall into any category so I just get 1% on them.

The only one I’ve seen is the Citi Double Cash one, but I’m open to a better one if it exists.

I know I'm really late to reply to this, but it may be worthwhile for others.

As someone who has a lot of cards that earn 3% - 5% on various categories I find myself rarely using my double cash card so it takes me quite a while to break the threshold for redemption. This is why I would consider the PayPal Cashback Mastercard that earns 2% without a minimum redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That's fair. I'm not vigilant enough to keep checking prices of things I've already bought, aside from running Honey for thing I buy cyclically through Amazon. I get notified when things on my drop-list hit below a threshold and then I generally stock up on things like protein powder, supplements, and cat food, at that point.

I guess using the Double Cash when such a price valley hasn't come on an item I've run out of wouldn't be a bad idea.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like most of the things I buy off Amazon aren't eligible because they are consumable. Still good to know, though.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 16, 2018

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
AMEX Blue Cash - 3% groceries, No AF
Ducks Unlimited - 5% Gas and Sporting Goods, No AF

You can get another 1% back at Chevron, Shell, and Exxon stations with the Spent app, but only worth doing if they are already the cheapest station in the area. For me Shell is so it's a nice bonus.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 31, 2018

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm looking at other cards with no annual fees and spending-based signup bonuses - is there anything better out there right now for that than the AmEx Cash Magnet $150 if you spend $1,000 in your first three months + $100 if you spend an additional $6,500 in your first 12 months?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cash-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses/

Keep in mind that some cards waive the annual fee the first year and allow you to product change to a non annual fee card before the fee will hit. Each card has a full review/thread, do if read them and the comments before opening each.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

I'm not sure how authorized users work, but normally, closed accounts stay on your report for up to 10 years, so the score might not slip for some time.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I normally use my costco card, but I may use this instead since I order a lot of poo poo on Amazon and I can just use the points quicker.

You use the points for statement credit or cashback, though, right? Because otherwise you're cheating yourself from the additional points those Amazon purchases would net you if you're using them to directly purchase things, if I understand how that works correctly.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I can't PM, but if you add

- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (No AF 3% Grocery)
and
- AMEX Everyday (I got it for 0% BT APR/Fee but that seems to be gone now, but still useful for increasing your credit limit and transferring that to another AMEX if you want)

I have links for both of those.

Citi Double Cash doesn't give a direct link but instead asks for the referree's email. So maybe create one that we can put OUR email in and have a user contact us to add them?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, it's working.

Turns out that AMEX allows you to refer for any card in the family. So instead of having a separate entry for every AMEX, you can just have a standard AMEX entry and allow the user to pick which card they want by linking the card selection page. The bonus the referrer gets is dependent on which card they selected when creating the referral link.

If you click on the link you create, there's an option to "View all cards with a referral offer", if we shared the url on that page it would avoid clutter and anyone with any AMEX can get a referral bonus of their choosing regardless of what card is applied for.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
You could also open up a checking account that allows you to fund with a credit card and codes as a purchase (as opposed to cash advance) for the specific card you'll be using.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Isn't it a 24m rule?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Assuming you're not needing to transfer from another AMEX card and you have another AMEX with available credit that you don't need I'd say the AMEX Everyday (Non-Blue*) is the best current offer further assuming you meet the credit score.

- 0% interest for 15 months
- 0% intro transfer fee (*Blue charges 3% with $5 minimum)
- You can transfer part of your credit limit from another AMEX card to this one.

I have no idea what they require for credit, so I'd look into that first. You can check for per-qualified offers here. A positive result isn't a guarantee you'll be approved, but a negative result is highly likely that you wouldn't be.

*The Blue Cash Everyday will net you $200 after $1000 in spending within 3 months, so if you're going to spend on the card too, that might recover your BT fee if you go that route. That said, the Everyday will net you 250,000 Member Rewards ($250) but requires $3000 in spending within 3 months.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 14, 2018

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you're looking at Chase cards, start with those.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’d prefer [...] I’ll just for for the CSR/CSP double dip and deal with the $8k in minimum spend.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance

Important to read the comments and take into account how old the data may be, also a good idea to set your cash advance limit to $0 if possible. I've used this method to meet minimum spending requirements, though.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I just got the referral bonus last week with $5 in checking and nothing in the brokerage account.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Ducks Unlimited has a 5% gas and sporting goods Visa card issued by First National Bank of Omaha / First Bank card which would be worth getting.

Uber's Visa is nice and versatile, 4% dining (including fast food), 3% hotel and airfare (including Airbnb), 2% online purchases.

Discover IT is currently 5% grocery, gas will be April - June, restaurants July - September, and then the usual Amazon. Cashback Match first year of course. I like Discover because you can call up and ask for promotions every other year or so, I currently have 0% APR and am just sticking what's due in a bank account to grow at 3% until I need to pay it off at the end of the year. I use balance transfer cards periodically to do the same thing.

US Bank's Cash+ card let's you pick two 5% and a 3% category, so look to see if any of those work for you.

If you have Prime and do a lot of shopping on Amazon, their Prime card will net you 5% year round, but if you don't have Prime otherwise it's probably not worth getting just for the card if you won't shop there enough to basically pay for your membership from what you save plus the 2% you'd get from your other card already. Would need to be a little over $1700/yr if you apply no value to 2-day shipping and their other services like video and Twitch.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you just wanted one card, I'd say yes, go with Uber.

BofA cash rewards, now allows you to select a 3% category, one of which is online spending.

Vantage West allows you to select a 5% category, one of which is restaurants, $1500 per quarter only, and I've heard a lot of bad experiences with rewards not posting so I'm avoiding them for now.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Not seeing a referral option.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Should be good as long as you buy it directly from them.

If you've used a credit card to buy them before, you could check your statement to see if it coded 4112 (Passenger Railways) and you should be golden.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Sounds similar to what Amazon does, they give you the choice of where your payments go but 2 months out, everything above the minimum payment goes toward the balance that is accruing interest (not the interest itself).

Say you bought something for 1000 with no interest for 18 months, month 16 you still owe 500 and you have 200 in new charges from that month and a 50 minimum payment. If you paid 200, your new charges would only be dent by 50 and you'll pay the interest on 150 for the month. You'd need to pay everything in full to cover the new charges.

Basically don't put anything on the card in the last few months of the promotional period until you're ready to pay your whole balance.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 28, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Do you pay off the full balance or just the current balance on the bills?

I personally have auto pay set up on my cards to only pay the current balance (minimum balance during promo 0% APR period) until the final week before it's due to keep my utilization up a little (and to keep my cash earning interest for as long as possible).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Long shot, but does your insurance accept PayPal?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread y'all, I'm here more for recommendations than rewards. I had an unexpected expense pop up (6k of car repairs) that I'd like to open a card to cover, and then pay down over 12 months... and you know keep the card open in case I need it probably, but I don't travel tons or have a small business so those sorts of rewards don't do a ton for me.

So basically I need a card with a pretty high limit (eek) and my credit isn't extremely good (goodish tho, 670-680 rn probably, still rebuilding from college lol), rewards aren't super important to me but lower interest is always neat! I just don't really know anything about credit card products offered these days.

AMEX Everyday has 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers and gave me my highest opening credit limit (If you have another AMEX card already you can also transfer additional credit limits to it).

EDIT: Obviously make sure that your mechanic accepts AMEX first (or use an existing non-AMEX card(s) and transfer within 60 days of opening the AMEX. No transfer fee for first 60 days). Be more careful with the transfer method, though. I think you're only allowed to transfer something like 70% of your limit and language suggests they can deny a transfer although I've never had it happen.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 20, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Calling into AMEX for the CLI may have been a better idea than doing it through the website so that you could talk to a human and explain your intended use/need. But we'll see.

Timing Belt/Water Pump at 100K miles is pretty standard for a lot of cars. I bought my '03 TT at ~95K miles and just had it done right away, but $1800 for just the belt seems pretty steep. You doing this at a dealership or something? What city you in/near?

Timing Belt/Water Pump is a pretty standard deal that most mechanics can do it with their eyes closed, might consider posting in the VW/Audi Thread and getting a recommendation on a cheaper but still reputable mechanic in your area.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776

Girbot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 20, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you're at 820 you already qualify for the lowest rates and I don't see one additional card dropping your score substantially, especially not for the duration until you apply for a mortgage.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Capital One Savor codes amusement parks as entertainment for 3% according to the preapproval mailer they keep sending me.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you're only looking to EARN points with a Norwegian flight and not redeem your points toward one, you could use your Discover IT Miles card to buy a Visa Gift Card.

You'll spend a little on the purchase fee unless you wait around for the no-fee or discounted offers to spring up, but there's usually a limit you can buy and probably won't be enough toward a ticket(s).

https://giftcardmall.officedepot.com/deal/default/visa-gift-card-92

You can buy one here for a custom amount with only a $6 fee, I assume the tickets will cost enough to offset that loss in rewards.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

lgcty5 posted:

2. If you have a pulse and ok stats, Amex is pretty commonly accepted as being one of the easier companies to get approved for. Especially because both the Plat and the Gold are charge cards, not credit cards.

I think they were asking about the acceptance rate among merchants/retailiers given the "domestic and international" bit.

I don't have that answer myself.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Citi Double Cash is a MasterCard, though.

I'd think about what you spend the most on and get a card that would make use of that the most. It's likely that the increased rewards for a specific category will be greater than the 0.5% difference between the general 1% on everything nearly any card gets and the 1.5% from Quicksilver.

I have cards for separate categories, but if I were to only carry one VISA-only card, it'd likely be the Uber card or my NRA gas card which isn't available anymore (but the Ducks Unlimited card may be).

Girbot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 23, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Blue Cash Everday AMEX and Citi Double Cash both offer 0% transfer periods with $0 transfer fee.

Also, keep in mind when daisy chaining that you usually can't transfer balances within the same network (e.g. AMEX -> AMEX, Visa -> Visa, etc.).

EDIT: I guess the Citi DC information was out of date.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 8, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Unlikely the case here, but freeing up credit on a low limit card is a legitimate reason to pay early.

For people who have trouble budgeting or employing self control with cash on hand and using credit cards as if they were debit cards, paying off bills when they have extra cash may be more beneficial than any extra growth on liquidity they could gain during the extra month or so they can hold onto it, if they consider only how much cash they have when making purchasing decisions without accounting for upcoming bills.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 10, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Gift cards are common tactic for maxing rewards for categories you don't have other means of getting 2%+ back on or maxing out rewards right before category cycles end. You can also watch for deals on Visa/Mastercard GCs where the activation fees are basically refunded as a means of manufactured spending. Kroger/Fred Meyer often give you 4x Gas Reward points on GCs, so stacking those with fuel reward cards are a good means of getting some cheap gas.

My NRA 5% Gas/Sporting goods card is one of my favorites (can't get it anymore, but the Ducks Unlimited card is still available, same card basically without the signup bonus).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
US Bank Cash+ has a Furniture Store 5% category you could choose, but you only get that rate on the first $2000 each quarter and the bonus is only $150 for $500 spend.

Could look into AMEX Everyday. $200 bonus on $2000 spend, but also 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers*, so you could float the balance you accrue into a high yield savings/checking account until you need to pay it off (obviously pay at least the minimum each month).

*It's also possible to get an offer which includes a $0 balance transfer fee for 60 days so you could transfer your current balances on other cards and add it to your floating cash account gaining interest. Browse their site in incognito/private mode until the offer pops up, I just confirmed this works and had the offer pop up for me.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 29, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I have the Store card and use it for the same 5% off as a no carry card. I've also used the 12 mo 0% APR promo on large purchases to make more than 5% by floating the cash in the stock market or in a safer high interest checking account and then using a 0% balance transfer APR/fee promotion near the expiration, but there's a very real danger in their deferred-interest method that makes this unattractive should there be a glitch in their auto-pay system, so just using another card's 0% APR period is a better option going forward.

EugeneJ posted:

I keep it as my No Foreign Transaction Fee card for when I travel

Might consider a look into the Uber Visa. No Foreign Transaction Fees, 4% on Dining, 3% on Hotels.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 11, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I assume you mean 3% extra over just using a 2% card like Double Cash.

119 / 0.03 = 3,966.67

You'll have to spend $3966.67 a year to essentially pay for the Amazon Prime membership with the extra 3% cashback.

But considering that the Amazon Visa would get you 3% without prime, the extra 2% would pay off the membership after $5,950 in spending.

Both of these assume you spend enough each time to have qualified for free shipping without Prime. If you regularly purchase small items which would have shipping costs with them, that would lower the threshold.

I'll likely be canceling my Prime membership this year, as I don't think 2-day shipping is worth $119/yr minus what I get back from the extra cashback (which isn't the full bill as I don't spend thousands at Amazon a year). I generally buy enough to qualify for free shipping anyway.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 12, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Dustoph posted:

I assume you read the post and they had amazon prime regardless of any credit card bonus, so yes 3% is more than 2%.

SiGmA_X posted:

I should compute what the Amazon Prime fee costs me vs 3% extra though. Maybe I'll do that this weekend!

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

All cards are 0% APR - don’t carry a loving balance.

Or you could hold on to your money, mark it as spent, but have it continue to earn for you as long as possible . . .

There's plenty of area between, "give your money to credit card companies ASAP" and "spend spend spend, bill's not due for a year!"

0% APR and no-fee BT offers are valuable and no risk method of making some extra cash if you're responsible.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 14, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

How has your experience been with Orion FCU? Reviews are mixed - bank reviews are always mixed though. 4% is better than 1.6~2.1% that my cash earns.

I haven't opened one yet since I have an LMCU account that earns 3% that isn't maxed out and I don't want the hard pull from Orion just yet. But I'll be opening one some day in the future.

Some people were reporting online access takes a couple days to set up and a few people were asked to email in documents, but aside from a few small standard hurdles for setting up the account people seem happy with it.

The huge $30,000 cap and easy monthly triggers for the APY/fee exemption are very nice though (bank-to-bank ACH counting as direct deposit, 8 card transactions such as Amazon reloads or hopefully Square which I use for LMCU without actually spending ANY money).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Part of your credit score is utilization, the percentage of used credit of total credit. If a credit card is closed for inactivity your total credit goes down and your utilization goes up (assuming consistent spending), possibly resulting in a drop of score if your utilization goes up a tier (0-9, 10-29, 30-49, 50-74, 75+ according to credit karma). The advice to charge your cards periodically is to prevent them from being closed, although every cycle is extreme, I haven't heard of any card which will close for a single month of inactivity. Another, much smaller, factor of your score is number of accounts, which a closure could impact, although supposedly that could take years or even up to a decade if the closed cards continue to show up on your report for that long as some say.

I have heard of cards which will lower your available credit if it's constantly in the low single digits of utilization, but which cards that is, how high of a credit limit you had to what they'll drop it to, and how long it takes to trigger this response is unknown to me however.

Either way, putting a subscription service on a seldom used card and setting up autopay (which you should do anyway) is a solid choice.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I've always heard that anything 750 and above gets the best rates and higher scores only serve as a buffer for small fluctuations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Vantage West has a 5% Restaurants category (for $1500/quarter spend) but I've read enough horror stories about having to get them to honor the credits that I've avoided that card completely as an extra 1% isn't worth micro-managing a card.

If the restaurants you go to have gift cards available at Amazon or a grocery store then getting them with your Visa or AMEX Blue Preferred (assuming the $95 AF is worth the extra 3% vs the regular Blue Cash for you) then those may be an option for you.

Uber card is solid, though. Currently getting 5% with my Discover for the quarter, but I love the Uber card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Create a twitch account and stream your desktop while afk for 30 minutes.