Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder if Chase is either already seeing or expecting to see a lot of cancellations of the CSR, because right now they're essentially giving 7.5% back in groceries that you can cash out immediately and there's no way that isn't costing them money. Though honestly this might end up making me more likely to cancel once my renewal comes due since I'm cashing out all of my points right now for said grocery refunds so there's no reason to keep it around for the 1.5% redemption. I already was on the fence when the effective fee went up to $250 and this might push me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Elysium posted:

It depends on how you use your points, because certain transfers are worth a lot more then 1.5c. I’ve gotten as high as 3c for hotel redemption and 2.5c for flights. Given covid, it may not be worth it to hold points for travel you never go on.

Buying Groceries at 5x points and then redeeming points against your statement at 1.5c is pretty good though.

Yeah, the only situation where it doesn't make sense to cash out everything you can right now is if you think you'll be able to transfer to a hotel or airline that'll net you more than 1.5 cents/point since the grocery and restaurant cash out is currently just as good as what you could get for travel but you're converting it to straight up cash.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, I had points all stockpiled for my Olympics trip (no cash was being spent on housing or travel) but here we are. Since it's still just postponed, I'm hesitant to cash out just yet but it's really tempting. :(

Are you planning on using the points to transfer to a hotel or airline partner or just for the 1.5 cent/point cash out? Because if it's the latter it's always better to have the cash, you can always just use it to book stuff later.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

saintonan posted:

The Amazon Prime card is also a Chase card.

Yeah but all it does is incentivize you to move your spend from one Chase card to a different Chase card for an additional 2.5% off. You can tell everyone has stopped doing lots of things because so many cards are offering bonus to grocery and restaurant spending just to get you to use them. I even got an offer the other day for a no fee Verizon branded card that gives 4% back on groceries.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

CSR isn't 5x on groceries anymore (though it is 5x on Instacart) but you can still pay yourself back @ 1.5cents per point through September. I'd recommend continuing to take advantage of that over the BCP as long as you (a) still have points to burn and (b) aren't planning on using those UR for travel in the short to medium term.

There was also a targeted Citi ThankYou point offer for 10x on groceries through september (up to 2500 points, so not particularly amazing).

You can also do the pay yourself back at restaurants (including orders from doordash or grubhub, not sure about Uber Eats since I have never used them) so if you are spending any money at restaurants it'd be better to use the pay yourself back for those charges and use the BCP for groceries unless your goal is just to liquidate points. You get 1.5 cent per point redeeming the groceries but you only get one point per dollar spending money on groceries so the 6% back from BCP is four times the earnings.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

I'm wondering if everyone is just hanging on to their points with plans to redeem them in 2021 making their partners antsy

I don't think the partners care all that much right now but points are a liability on the balance sheet so they want to burn them down. Same reason a lot of companies right now are sending out "Use your vacation for fucks sake" emails to employees. It isn't out of the goodness of their hearts, it's because they want to reduce an increasingly large negative number on their financial reports.

In Chase's case they're had some ridiculously good promotions this summer so I wonder if they got spooked by people cancelling since travel cards are basically worthless right now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Given that most of the money I used to spend on restaurants is now being spent on groceries I think I'm going to end up getting a larger actual bonus out of the Freedom Flex than I did from the CSR between the rotating categories, sign up bonus, and 5X on groceries for the first year. Chase is going hard with this card.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

saintonan posted:

Now if only Chase would let me load my Freedom Flex into Samsung Pay, everything would be great.

They won't let me load mine in to Google pay even though I have multiple other Chase cards in there. Is this just a thing with this card?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

saintonan posted:

The CSR is probably one of the easier ones to find value in COVID times. The 300 dollar travel credit is broad enough that you still may be able to use it even if you're not taking big trips, so that makes the AF a net $250. There's a 60 dollar Doordash credit that you may or may not use.

The big selling point in the Sapphires for me has been the Pay Yourself Back. That 50% bonus to points I've earned essentially makes Freedoms 7.5% cash back cards in categories which is phenomenal even if I'm not traveling, since it dovetails with the restaurant points you get from the Sapphire itself. That additional cash back paid for the net annual fee in 2020 for me.

I feel like they really don't want to lose a bunch of people because of the lack of travel so they've done a number of things to turn it at least temporarily in to a card that's worth it if you aren't traveling. I've been using a freedom flex to get 5% back on all my groceries and then just moving the points over to the CSR to use pay myself back at the 1.5 multiplier for any takeout I get. And they made the $300 travel credit work at gas stations so it paid for $300 worth of gas and beer instead of $300 in plane tickets. And the two years of doordash membership has been handy as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I have the Amazon rewards card thru Chase, mostly because we spend a ton at Whole Foods and it's nice getting the rewards for that. I have all my saved up points sitting in my account but never use them. Do they ever do anything where it's not 1 point = 1 cent on Amazon? I was thinking about cashing it out but was hoping for something like the Pay Yourself Back that I do with my Sapphire card. Other cards I've had in the past will have those promos where points are more valuable for a limited time and/or at certain retailers. Any chance of something like that for Amazon Rewards? I have like 89k.

Naw, it's straight 5% cash back and in the several years I've had it I don't recall and redemption promos, just occasional bonuses on earning at gas stations and poo poo. Just use it for a statement credit or have them cut you a check.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 31, 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Other than when it's a bonus category for the Freedom/Freedom Flex is there a card to use for PayPal purchases that yields better cashback or points than the effective 2.25% from a Freedom Unlimited with a points transfer to CSR?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

According to DoC, the CSR $300 travel credit will be good on groceries and gas through 2021, and 1.5x Pay Yourself Back rate on "grocery and home improvement stores, dining at restaurants, including takeout and delivery services and contributions to eligible charitable organizations" through September 30, 2021.

Awesome. That's the only reason I've kept that card. Chase really has been going out of thier way to make that worthwhile. I've been using the Flex for groceries for the effective 7.5% back and then just using it to pay for all of my takeout/doordash purchases.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Chase Freedom 5% category for Q3 is grocery stores but I already get 5% at grocery stores with the Flex because it's 5% at grocery stores for the first year so I wonder how that is going to work. Hope it isn't just a lost quarter but it's a no fee card so I can't complain too much if that's the case.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Chase Freedom has blown for me this year as someone with another card that always offers 5% Grocery and Gas.

I ended up cancelling my Blue Cash Preferred AmEx this year because pretty much everywhere is giving at least 5% on groceries and when I asked them about any retention offers they said no (I never used the card for anything but groceries so I probably wasn't making them money anyway) so it wasn't worth paying an annual fee. Freedom Flex effectively gives me 7.5% and Wells Fargo keeps giving me 10% offers on the Propel every month or two. It'd be really cool if this continues.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

The Chase Freedom 5% category for Q3 is grocery stores but I already get 5% at grocery stores with the Flex because it's 5% at grocery stores for the first year so I wonder how that is going to work. Hope it isn't just a lost quarter but it's a no fee card so I can't complain too much if that's the case.

Chase updated their FAQ to clarify. If you're also eligible for the new cardmember bonus it'll be 9% off groceries next quarter for the first $1,500 in spend (or until you hit the cap for the new cardmember 5%). With a CSR and pay yourself back that's effectively 13.5%

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Do you think the Citi Custom Cash will finally force Amex to change up the Blue Cash preferred? I can't think of any justification for anyone to pay $95/year for a 6% card when there's a free 5% copycat out there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Unsinkabear posted:

Given that anyone who's doing category-janitoring has a 2% card, and those are not large categories for many people (I originally said they were both small, but I guess some people commute in gas guzzlers), the real-world annual cash benefit of that extra 1% across the board is probably still not likely to be worth more than the the annual fee. They do need to up their game if they want to justify that AF

WF Propel is no fee and is 3% on gas, don't know if there are other no fee card that offer that but I assume there probably are.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My CSR annual fee hit today and it didn't go up to $550, it's still $450. Did they delay that again?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

I think mine renews this month and I got a letter telling me it was going to be $550.

I think I may downgrade. I have an Amex Gold, USBank Altitude Reserve, and Ritz card, so the only real benefit to the Sapphire anymore seemed to be redeeming points earned in bonus categories on my no annual fee cards.

Them counting gas stations for the $300 rebate and being pretty generous on groceries being a bonus category recently are the main reasons I'm still keeping it for now. In other years I'd consider priority Pass to be worth at least something but not now or anytime for the forseeable future. I cancelled the Blue Cash Preferred that I had been using for groceries the last half decade because it didn't make sense to have two cards that charge fees for the same category. I'll have to re-evaluate next year once my Flex welcome bonus is expired and the fee goes up. At that point I might just cancel the CSR and move my grocery spending over to a Citi Custom for the 5% no fee.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hed posted:

Can someone help me here with a business card? I thought I understood the Pay Yourself Back option from Thoguh's posts but apparently don't. I have 214k UR points, it seems like cash is easy but obviously not the highest redemption. I thought I was comparing between cash and transferring UR to my personal card and redeeming for travel, but the Pay Yourself Back sounds like a good deal, I don't understand the "days" though.

I don't understand the "days" or the selecting a specific transaction for this purpose.

You just have 90 days after a transaction to use Pay Yourself Back. The days thing is just telling you how much time you have left. There really isn’t a reason I’m aware of to favor any given transaction over another for PYB so I consolidate all my points from Chase cards on to my CSR once a month and then just select the oldest eligible transactions on the list and click as many as I can until I run out of points. Then repeat the next month.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If I had absolute trust that I would be reimbursed both quickly and with zero risk of anything being denied I would love to put all my work expenses on a personal card and reap all the rewards (well, in a world where I was still traveling). But I don't trust either of those things so I'm glad that I've got a corporate card that gets 100% of any travel related expenses on it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Space Fish posted:

What's that, workplace? We need to stock up on some snacks and drinks for something, and the purchase will be reimbursed? I'll run through CostCo, no need to thank me *makes maybe $4 in percent back from executive membership and card bonus*
Heh heh heh... the perfect crime.

From about 2009-2017 I was on the road about 50% of the time, dozens of flights and about 100 hotel nights a year plus associated costs. That poo poo would have added up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Do you have to have DashPass to use that?

Dashpass is free if you have a CSR.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Chase appears to have extended the 50% bonus on pay yourself back at restaurants until 6/30/2023.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Michael Corleone posted:

I got this new CITI card and it gives you 5% back on the category you spend most on each month automatically, we'll see how that works, usually it is gas stations for me because I drink a lot.

I cancelled my Amex Blue Cash Preferred when Citi came out with that card and I use it for groceries. It's functionally the same ($500/month vs $6,000/year) and has no fee so comes out well ahead of paying the fee for the Preferred. If I really wanted to maximize things I'd put my first $500 of groceries a month on that and get a Blue Cash Everyday for anything over that but I'm not that hardcore.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shroomie posted:

The new Wells Fargo Autograph card is live today. 3X on Dining, Travel, Gas, Transit, Streaming, and Phone Plans. No AF, no FTF. Cell phone insurance, rental car insurance. Seems like a good card to have if you don't hate Wells Fargo too much.

https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/autograph-visa-credit-card/

IDK if I'm going to PC my Active Cash over or sign up for a new card. I hate to miss the $300 SUB, but I want to be under 5/24 ASAP.

I still have the Propel and that really just looks like they slapped a new name on the Propel.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm looking at getting out of Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. I've got everything ready for the checking and savings accounts save a meeting with a local banker and actually moving the money to my new bank prior to said meeting. My assumption is that I won't be able to move my Wells Fargo rewards card to another bank, but on the off chance that it is possible, how would a person do such a thing? Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to keep nothing but the card at Wells, set up a recurring expense on the card, and set up a recurring payment from a separate bank? Would it be worth the trouble or would I be better off closing it and getting a new card? I don't have any major purchases planned soon, nearest thing we're looking at is maybe a car in 1-2 years.

You can either just keep the card open with Wells Fargo and pay the bill via a transfer from your new bank, or you can close your Wells Fargo card and open up a new card with your new bank. Which is really what you're doing with your checking and savings as well. You aren't actually transferring your existing accounts to the new bank, - you're closing your Wells Fargo accounts and opening up new ones with your new bank. It isn't a hassle to keep the Wells Fargo card open if you want to, it's all just an online payment. I have credit cards with Citi but no bank account with them. And while I have a small checking account with Chase now that I opened to get a bonus, I had credit cards with them for years before I had any type of checking or savings relationship with them. That said, in your case it seems like it'd be easier if you just all had everything together in one place so it wouldn't be a bad idea just to close the WF one and get a new card with your new bank if they offer a similar rewards card, especially if they have any type of sign up bonus.

Edit: You also could leave the Wells Fargo card open and additionally open up a second card with your new bank or any other bank. If you're 1-2 years away from purchasing a new car one or two credit dings aren't going to matter as long as you're staying current on paying the bill for anything you open. Really just consider credit cards to be totally separate from your checking/savings and don't limit yourself to only getting a card from the bank you do your checking at. You don't have to go all in on churning or opening up 20 different rewards cards, if you don't want to mess around with multiple cards for different categories to min/max rewards as a hobby just find a good 2% cash back card and run with it. Even though this thread is like 8 years old the first post is still kept up to date by the OP and is worth taking a look at.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 16, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have a garbage Citibank card that I haven't used since 2020 and they just sent me a polite letter saying that they're going to close it due to inactivity if I don't make at least one purchase by 6/30/23. That's good service! I'm not being sarcastic

I try to make a point to use any of my non-active cards once a year or so to buy a cup of coffee or something just to generate a statement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I have two Visa credit cards - one from Bank of America and one from a local credit union. Is it possible to transfer some of the credit limit from one card to the other? They are way disproportionate with the BoA being over $15k and the credit union is $6k. Frankly I never plan to use the BoA one again except for a small purchase every 12 months to keep it open.

Visa is just the processor. BOA and your credit union are the ones that offer the lines of credit for your cards so there is no way to transfer the limit because they are independent entities. What you're interested in doing is getting a credit limit increase from your credit union not a limit transfer. When people post about transferring credit limits they are talking about moving stuff around between multiple cards issued by the same bank.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm planning on switching to Alliant for all my banking and credit card needs, but also want to pare down the amount of cards I carry one me. Anyone have any recommendations for wallets to archive cards that are nice to have but don't need on a daily basis? I was thinking of getting some $20 Ridge wallet knockoff.

EDIT: I guess a rubber band would work.

I bought a cheap business card holder booklet and have all the cards that aren't in my wallet in there.

This is the one I use. I don't actually have 240 credit cards. Yet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smackfu posted:

I imagine a lot of people literally only use their Amazon card at Amazon and lock up the physical card, so makes sense they would have promos to get more usage.

This is me. The physical card has never actually left my house since I got it, it just sits in a card wallet in a drawer in my office.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If I have a CSR right now that I've had for over four years can I cancel it and get a CSP immediately and get the sign up bonus or do I have to wait 48 months?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right, in general anything that gives you a portion back after you’ve spent money isn’t counted as income, but everything else is. In those comment threads and from personal experience, you are liable to pay taxes on sign up bonuses, referral bonuses, and things like using your credit card to reimburse your precheck/global entry or whatever memberships.

I’ve used credit card freebie TSA precheck signups a total of four times, twice for me and twice for my wife, and I’ve never been liable for taxes on it. I just charge it and after it gets posted a rebate for the charge shows up. Same for sign non-cash sign up bonuses, even if they can be cashed out for cash. No liability. The only times I have ever received a 1099 is when I got a cash bonus for opening an account.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Atahualpa posted:

Not sure where Forbes is getting that (maybe it's only if you opt to receive the cashback by mailed check?), but I deposit the rewards from my Citi Custom Cash each month via direct deposit and can confirm that it's always been 1:1 points-to-cents for me.

Same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only thing I've ever gotten a 1099 for is a cash sign up bonus for opening a checking account somewhere.