Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab0921 posted:

Looks like Amex Platinum is back to 100k sign on bonus - it makes it tempting to cancel the CSR after transferring all the points out and get this card - no use in having both.

The offer seems to be:

100k reward points after $5k spend in 3 months
$200 in yearly Uber credits
$200 Airline Fee Credit
$100 Saks Fifth Avenue Credit
Centurion Lounge Access
Purchase Protection
Global Entry Credit
5x points on travel booked through amex
$550 annual fee

oh yeah that's the stuff right there.

overdesigned posted:

drat, I am so tempted to double dip since I got the Mercedes-Benz platinum before.

ditto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like we can fly business to south africa for our honeymoon for about 700 per person including fees, by transferring 240k chase points to Korean Air. Worth it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My wife says NYC to Joburg is one of the worst flights she’s ever had and that business would have been well worth it.

Good to know

Elysium posted:

Can't transfer chase to Korean anymore as of about a week ago.

Well poo poo, that's annoying. Looks like Amex also doesn't transfer. Are there any good ways of getting to South Africa from the North East now?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 1, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JohnCompany posted:

If you have *A access I didn't mind the flights when I went with Lufthansa (JNB-FRA-JFK), so that's another option.

What's Star alliance access?

Not sure how best to book any of these. Lufthansa would be through United right? Looks like there's no good way to transfer Chase points or Amex MR to Qatar.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

You can book Qatar through AA.

For *A, you have three+ options. United is a UR transfer partner and never passes along YQ making them a good option for booking high YQ airlines like Lufthansa. Aeroplan is a MR transfer partner, is generally slightly less miles than United, passes along some YQ based on the airline and has very generous routing, stopover, and openjaw policies if you book a roundtrip. Ana is a MR transfer partner with generally lowest miles cost, requires booking a round trip, passes some YQ, slightly worse rules than Aeroplan. If you need to combine points, Singapore is a transfer partner of MR and UR but generally isn't a great deal from a miles plus yq perspective compared to the other three.

Assuming you aren't flying the carrier they all should have access to the same partner space and the search engines for all three are pretty similar and cover most of the alliance so you should be able to estimate costs, miles and fees, before you transfer.

Cacafuego posted:

I thought you were an AA guy? Book business class on Qatar to South Africa through Doha using AA miles. You’ll thank me later.

I normally fly AA now (or, at least did), but I'm trying to figure out a way to use either Chase/Amex points to fly to South Africa. It looks as if neither Chase or Amex will allow me to transfer points to make flying on Qatar possible (right?). I think I could transfer to BA Avios, but I"m not finding any availability on flights from the east coast to JNB on Qatar. Am I missing something?

The alternative is to save them and stay at another Hyatt down the road.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

New revamped Amex Gold card is out today, 50K pts bonus with 3K spend, also a nice statement credit bonus for restaurant spend in first year. The main changes are 4x now at restaurants and dining, and a $10/month dining credit with a few places, though this comes with a slightly higher annual fee of $250 vs previous $195. Holds up pretty well to the CSR considering the 4 & 3x on restaurants/grocery & travel, esp. Chase has been cutting back a lot of benefits of late like price protection.

Bonus:
* Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership
* Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back.

* 4x points at U.S. Restaurants
* 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year)
* 3x points for flights booked directly with airlines
* 1x points on all other purchases
* $120 dining credit : Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at participating partners
* $100 airline fee credit

Shameless referral link plug:
https://mgmee.americanexpress.com/r...1179-1786046696

Is it worth it for me to keep paying for this?

I requested the rose gold card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

The Amex airline fee credit is basically a rebate in my mind, its very easy to get your money back if you know the tricks. There are many data points on Flyertalk, e.g.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-9.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1812734-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300459-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-only-22.html

With AA you can buy gift cards. I personally do Alaska. With Alaska, if you book a fare under $100 and cancel during the 24HR refund window, it will still trigger the credit. I try to wait until the next day but before the 24hr period expires to ensure the charge posts. I've done it 2 years in a row now since the United MPX trick no longer works.

----

Personally, I am weighing keeping the Amex Gold and dropping the CSR. Restaurant & grocery 4X put it over the CSR for me. I can definitely use the $10 grubhub credit once a month for takeout.

For flights, I already use 5X on the Platinum card + Uber credit is very easy for me to use, Saks credit can be used for gift cards in store, and I use Centurion lounge. For Hotels, I use the hotel chain card for a much better return (I usually stay at Marriott for work travel and can use personal cards). Citi double cash or Chase Freedom (depending on quarterly bonus) for everything else.

For my personal usage I see limited need for the CSR any more, but everyone is different.

Thanks for posting this since I'm going through the same math. If I cancel my CSR next year, how do I not lose the chase points?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wait so what kind of people
1) need a good credit history
2) are willing to pay for it
3) are not doing anything illegal

???

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheEye posted:

I'm gonna open a Schwab checking account to use with foreign ATMs, as many here have recommended. It looks like it requires a linked brokerage account? If that's the case, can I open one and never use it?

Yes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Blew 180k Chase points for the Park Hyatt in Paris. :toot: Park Hyatt Milan was awesome when we stayed there so hopefully this should be good too.

We still have a bunch of Amex points between the two of us. Are there any similarly good MR transfer partners for hotel stays, or is it mainly flights? MR points seem tough to use for decent flight redemptions as it is.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 17, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My sister just asked me what credit card she should get. She travels less for work now, and it's not on a single airline, so in total it's maybe 6-7x/year. Is CSP + signup bonus a bad suggestion for a general use card?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've mainly used my csr points for Hyatt redemptions, although I have a hard time valuing an $800/night hotel when I wouldn't normally splurge like that on vacation.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Something Offal posted:

Man, I haven't traveled much on points yet but when I do I always look for almost bottom barrel hotels. Why spend $800 or whatever points a night when you could instead have 4+ more days on vacation at a less nice hotel, especially when you are paying the same for airfare no matter how many days you stay on vacation? Someday I'll splurge on a luxury hotel, but it is very hard for me to see the benefit right now.

:shrug: Hyatt isn't bad: 30k points for one of their top tier properties seems decent. My wife and I both work a lot and it's tough to take a ton of time off. The points keep piling up so why not splurge every now and then?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This doesn't apply to CSR cards, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bentai posted:

About to send off the letter to Chase, rejecting the third-party arbitration. Long shot, but does anyone know if they seriously want the entire account number in the letter, or would the last 4 digits suffice?

Two questions on this:

1. Will they cancel my card?
2. I understand that this is lovely from a global consumer standpoint, but how likely is it to affect me?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

asur posted:

How is $400 in airline GCs and $200 in Uber not covering your annual fee? You don't even need to get into the $100k points, lounge access, $100 in Saks or other random perks before you come out slightly positive.

I hear the GC loop hole is closed now?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel like I'm getting lazy with our credit cards, speaking of CSR. Currently our "fee cards" include:

CSR for me: almost all of my spending goes on this, including most of our travel spending
Amex gold for me: almost no spending goes on this
Amex platinum for my wife: most of her spending goes on this, including her occasional solo trip.

We spend a decent amount and make use of the Chase travel benefits, but have about 300k in Amex points we're not sure what to do with. We mostly fly American and it seems most of their redemption partners have poor redemption rates.

Any way we can better use our cards?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Recoome posted:

Idk about the Amex points in the US, but I guess the question is why are you keeping the Amex gold card?

Leftover from before we got married last year. I have about 100k points on that, the rest are on her card

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

Can anyone give some more info on the “use points to stay at premium Hyatt properties?” We did something similar a few years ago using SPG points in Europe to stay at very fancy places (that my wife loved) but those redemptions have basically tripled at this point. 20k points and 60k points a night are very different.

Chase works out pretty well for this. Transfer points from Chase to Hyatt and stay in one of their awesome park Hyatt locations. We did Milan two years ago, and then spent a week in Paris a few months ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh, huh, does Amex convert to Hyatt as well? I need to figure out a decent redemption for Amex points and it doesn't seem easy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

astral posted:

MR? Cash out with Schwab with the Schwab plat, or transfer MR to your favorite airline when they run a nice transfer bonus. Or even when they don't!

Yeah, Schwab plat may be an option when it's time to renew my wife's card. That's at 1.5%?

On the airline front, we're pretty heavy in to American, whereas MR seems to favor Delta.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nur_Neerg posted:

MR to ANA is a really good value as well if you're looking to redeem for Japan travel at all.

Wasn't looking for Japan in particular. I think Singapore is good too, but all of these seem like a pita to find availability versus just doing Hyatt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

The lounge access sucks. They are poo poo tier priority pass and often "full" or "closed". It's nearly entirely useless domestically.

Yup. I don't even bother with them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just got an e-mail for AMEX Business Plat, 75k/5k spend. Is this as good as it gets?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cbear posted:

There is a kind of secret number to call in to get a 100k for 10k offer. That's what I did in December. Not sure if it's still available.

Is that business or personal?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any thoughts on using the Chase Sapphire Reserve as travel insurance on our trip to South Africa? It looks like the CSR's coverage is actually fairly generous in comparison to some of the commercial insurance providers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FunOne posted:

For example, I recently purchased a premium ticket to Asia using miles. AA miles of 175k bought a ticket for ~2600 USD. Not bad, but if I earned those on CC spend (I didn't), that'd be about 1.5 cents/$. So in that case, 2.6% cash would've been much better.

On those same flights I could've purchased business for ~7k, and that would've been I think 375k miles. Again only 1.8% if I had earned the miles via spend.

Still plenty of places to grab some outsized value, but I'm not finding as many super-discount round trip tickets instead of super-expensive purchase tickets available. My AA Exec card is for lounge access, not buying things.

Not after they removed the price rewind feature. That was worth its weight in gold.

Ooof. You have me calculating my own redemptions and it's not great. We stayed at the Hyatt in Paris this spring. 6 nights, 180k points, which would have been about $5k or so. That works out to about 2.7-3 cents per point. I have a csr and a decent amount of those points were earned on travel/restaurant spend, so 3x, but I'm wondering if a cash back card wouldn't make more sense.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This wasn't an exaggeration either - like this guy had stopped breathing and turned gray after he removed his significant personal oxygen supply and by the time they "is there a doctor aboard?" and I got to him he was (to my palpation) pulseless. I told the flight attendant we needed to divert (which the pilot did not do) and I mask ventilated the guy and (extremely) fortunately felt a pulse; I was five to ten seconds away from starting chest compressions in flight in front of his wife and 100 other passengers. When the fire department eventually wheeled him off the plane onto an ambulance (now very much alive) the pilot came back to yell at me about why I hadn't communicated that we needed to divert, the immediate response to which was all the flight attendants yelling at him.

Three weeks later I got 25k bonus miles. Enough for an economy saver round trip that I haven't even been able to use.

I did get a round of applause though, which was nice.

Lol fuckin a. I’m not getting up for 25k miles.

because as if I could help.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The $250 annual fee for my Amex Gold card just hit. When they increased the fee/eliminated the ability to buy airline gift certificates I kept it around to see if I'd end up using it, but I honestly just end up using my CSR more because the travel benefits are easier to use (end up transferring to Hyatt a bunch) and we live in an American hub. Years ago I had an Ameriprise Amex Plat, but I've never had the personal Amex Plat or the Schwab Amex Plat. My MR account only has about 80k points. My wife has an Amex Plat and uses it as her regular card.

I figure I should probably close down/downgrade my Amex Gold care to get the $250 fee refunded unless I can get a 100k signup bonus for one of the Platinum cards, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

astral posted:

Make sure you have at least one other MR point earning card before closing down the Gold.

Ok, opened up an Everyday card. I asked this to the Amex employee but wanted to confirm: I originally opened an Amex account when I was in college in 2007. If I open this new Amex account and close down my "old" card, will I still have an amex history going back to 2007? I think I remember something changing in the past few years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

New accounts used to be backdated to your "member since" date in credit reports, and that is no longer true.

When did that change? I've only had my gold card for two years. So if I close down my amex gold, that'll end my 12 year old account?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Diva Cupcake posted:

My gold retained the date from my original as well. I upgraded in 2018 and it still says 01.

I think the issue is that although the “member since” date gets backdated, Amex is no longer backdating the start date of the line of credit itself (which gets reported to credit bureaus).

My new everyday card has a member since date of 2007. I guess I’ll see what my actual credit date is at some point.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

halokiller posted:

Well that rumored $100 annual fee increase certainly puts a kink on the CSR. Hopefully they don't gently caress around with the travel credit since that's the only reason I have been keeping the card.

what's this now?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Usually it's not a great idea to add authorized users versus just getting them their own card. As you pointed out, you lose out on bonuses that way.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

waloo posted:

I'm (well, my household is) sitting on a pile of UR points and have a CSR that we hardly ever use anymore so am wondering about how best to make use of points now and then abandon the CSR to avoid the annual fee coming in a few months.

Is the naive "use chase portal to buy family plane tickets and hotels for a vacation" approach going to be strongly dominated by some other easy redemption strategizing?

Let me know if you find it. I’ve been using transferring chase points to Hyatt. Seems like they have decent availability and you don’t have to play with ridiculous airline availability.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is it worth getting an American Airlines Card for the any signup bonus in particular if I’ve never had one? Any of them better for any reason?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Animal posted:

CSR annual fee increase confirmed along with some added benefits.

I need to sit down and figure out what value what this complicated jumble of added benefits has for me, but overall it seems like a net gain in value for me, at least till the end of 2021.

For my use the care still easily pays for itself at $550 even with no added benefits. Just this month I got over $100 out of eating in airport restaurants with Priority Pass.

Seems like you get $120 in food credits?

Wish I still lived in the city and used Lyft constantly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TraderStav posted:

I average around 100,000 points a year on my CSR in accumulation and that alone grants me an additional $500 in travel for my airfare. Then you add the travel credits and other benefits and I think it still makes sense, for my use case.

I would have to go into min-max territory from here on what other options/redemption strategies I would have to go with (different card, airlines, etc.) but at least for now I don’t feel that I’m losing out on a $450 fee, personally.

Yeah I’m in a similar boat. Between vacation/everyday/business travel I’ll spend the $16k, but I wonder if I could be min/maxing a better strategy. Not sure I want to put in the effort though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shear Modulus posted:

cancel the card but keep it in your wallet then make like you're going to pay with it but go "oh wait, i forgot that this one has better rewards on this spending category this quarter" and pay with another one

Protip: this line drives women crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

- CSR earns faster for most people (3x dining/travel) than Amex (5x flights and prepaid hotels).
- They both transfer to partners, but CSR lets you redeem as cash towards travel for 1.5cpp. (Note the Business Amex Plat has a similar benefit, but only for flights).
- They both have Priority Pass, although Amex excludes participating airport restaurants now.
- Amex Plat includes Centurion Lounge access and SkyClub access when flying Delta. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- Amex Plat gives Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold status. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- CSR's travel credit is way easier to use (and larger) than Amex's airline incidental credit.

In a sense, they're sort of complementary because the Plat is a great card to hold for the benefits but not the most rewarding for spend, while the CSR is the other way around.

FYI there's another no-AF Wells Fargo card you can pair it with to get a 50% bonus when redeeming towards flights (so an effective 4.5% just like the CSR).

Thanks for this, this is very helpful. I keep on meaning to reevaluate our credit cards, since I have a CSR and my wife has an Amex Plat. Most of our travel spending goes through the CSR, which sounds like the way to go.