Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Can someone educate me on the whole AmEx Membership Rewards program? Does one dollar equal one point or what? I can't for the life of me figure out how to compare it to something like a simple "2% cash back."

I've got an AmEx Blue that I'm thinking about starting to use as my primary card but I can't figure out if that's my best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm thinking about applying for an AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card to use exclusively for groceries (6% cash back with a $6000 cap, which is about what we spend annually on groceries). A couple of concerns:

- I recently had a US Bank Mastercard be not renewed because I hadn't used it in 18 months. Credit limit was ~$12k.
- I recently changed jobs so my AmEx corporate card was automatically cancelled.
- I recently opened a new card with Citi (credit limit of about $10k).
- I already have a basic AmEx Blue card (credit limit $19,300).

Aside from the cards mentioned above the wife and I have a few other [non-AmEx] cards each with limits in the low 5 figures. One of them has about $1500 on it, the others are at zero. I can't remember our credit scores from the last time I looked but I think we're both in the low 800s.

Should I not apply because of all that recent activity? Should I not apply because I've already got a Blue card with a relatively high credit line? Or should I apply, and if not automatically approved, ask that my existing card have credit moved to a new card? For what it's worth we're not planning on applying for any significant credit (mortgage or car loans) in the near future.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've accumulated a handful of miles (5000-ish) on United that I'd like to part with. That balance is probably too low for most exchange sites so I may just see if my parents want to buy them. Is 2 cents/mile fair for both parties? Or are there better options?

Looks like I've got about 21k with Delta, so same question there I guess.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

smackfu posted:

For the really low balance one, are there any magazines you want? That's usually a good way to use up a small amount of miles.

Nah, not really. Cashing them out would be optimal. Even if they're only worth a penny per mile that's still fifty bucks.

Pissingintowind posted:

How do you plan on getting them to your parent's account?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/transfer/default.aspx

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Pissingintowind posted:

Take a look at the price.

drat, didn't read the not-so-fine print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

disaster pastor posted:

The 2% card everyone has is the Citi Double Cash (but make sure to get direct deposits instead of statement credits).
Why is that?