Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Is there any better sense these days what the Senate will look like? Seems pressing now that Scalia is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, I mean who knows in 4 years but I think Paul Ryan is the only semi-credible guy at the moment, and emphasis on the semi... and even that's assuming the Old Man Witherspoon voters aren't going to get hot for some other con artist. Maybe Rubio, I guess, if he can keep his seat and his head down.

Paul Ryan is saddled with leading the despised congress, although I guess if dems take the house his job gets a whole lot easier

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Let's get down ballot baby.

The WV governor's race is sort of unfortunate.

Bill Cole is the Republican, the Democrat is coal tycoon Jim Justice. The renowned coal country journalist Ken Ward Jr has been heavily critical of Justice for his refusal to accept the reality that coal mining will never be the economic driver it once was, and for his climate change denial.

It's too bad. Earl Ray Tomblin has been, in my view, a bright spot for the Democrats in a tough state.

Justice seems like a huckster but he had the UMWA's endorsement in the primary.

a guy named cole vs. a coal tycoon is so west virginia

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

God Florida is really gonna vote Rubio back in after everything aren't they?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I just really, really hope the Dems take back the CO state Senate this year (they already have the House). There have been several really good bills passed by the House recently that have been killed by the Senate. It's literally a one-seat margin so it shouldn't be too hard for them to pull off in a presidential year...I hope...

CO seems very blue lately, I wouldn't be surprised

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

what's the smart money saying about the total house composition at this point

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if it's already assumed the filibuster is gone if and when the dems retake the senate, why coudn't we've done that in 08? or 06? ~just asking questions~

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

What about like 2012? Wasn't it that bad by then?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it took a surprisingly long time for snyder's approval rating to tank, given the circumstances. i was watching that one... happy that it finally did.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rubio is gonna LOSE, book it

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I dunno, but I do know gently caress kevin durant and gently caress the warriors!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

this election does seem like a really good opportunity for the other side of the jim crow realignment, northeastern suburban republicans who vote D for president and R downticket, to continue their progress toward the democratic party

i would characterize the death of liberal republicans as a domino that couldn't start falling until the effects of the death of conservative democrats began to have its effect upon the gop. right now that sorta counts as a republican advantage - i would guess that they have more habitual ticket-splitters than democrats do (in the sense that more people will vote D for president and R downballot than vice versa - that's my hypothesis, anyway) - but i feel like it's basically inevitable. look at dudes like richard hanna, northeastern moderate republicans, retiring with obvious glee and immediately throwing grenades at the party

so hopefully that process gets a giddy-up thanks to the gop coalition completely blowing up any possible pretense that moderate/liberal republicans could make that maybe they're not the baddies

edit: a silver lining to the 99.99% chance that paul ryan will still be speaker in 2017 is that there's also a 99% chance that his majority is smaller and even more dominated by purity trolls who deeply hate basic governance, while the death of the jim crow democrat means that pelosi should have fewer republicans in democratic clothing in her caucus, although the democrats coming from places like the suburban midwest will deeply disappoint the kind of person who seriously thinks the democrats have moved so far to the right that the republicans' best move would be to become the new left-wing party

a later edit:

btw a good example of the democrats' problems is that in one of the ungerrymandered districts the courts created in virginia, in what was basically a 50-50 obama-romney district in 2012, the only democrat who bothered to file for the primary was an activist whose only prior experience was apparently losing a city council race in 2010
http://www.vpap.org/candidates/109460/elections/
now sometimes you get a great politician out of nowhere, but usually such a politician would have raised more than $12,373 by october (the republicans are running a state delegate who has raised $260K). so as good a representative as shaun brown (who, it turns out, is a black woman, which i didn't know till just now) might be, unfortunately it looks like she represents the democrats punting on 1st and goal

i hope this happens and is happening

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i really can't put into words how badly i want rubio to lose. i'd need to take some creative writing workshops just to even get a handle on expressing how badly i want him gone.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

Here's the video of the full exchange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icc0NXOdJQg

jesus

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i mean , jesus

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

platzapS posted:

I wouldn't worry. Orlando Sentinel says no high-level judge has ever actually been voted out:

fuckin lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ugh i still havent researched all the california propositions. im terrible @ politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

FMguru posted:

The Cali politics thread has what you need. Last ten pages are election/proposition chat.

Good discussions of the props' pros and cons can be found at:
Pete rates the props
League of Women Voters of CA
Ballotpedia
LA Times

time to get on that poo poo i guess

• Locked thread