Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, Warrenailures, Martin's here to steal yo thunder.

Oh, and White House Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri left her job for an as-of-yet unannounced new position. Whatever could it be? :iiam:

Good. I want an actual Dem primary. Even if it ends after SC, it will be good to have the debates to get the message out, deploy and respond to vulnerabilities early, and help energize the base. You don't go into big fight cold, you train and work off the fat before it begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Let's get the Cruzapalooza started

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Does he actually think he can win, or is this a book deal and tv pundit circuit golden parachute he's going for? It's hard to tell these days.

I mean his announcement in itself is bizarre, but he's announcing so far out, way before anyone else. It just seems strange.

I'm inclined to guess book deal because everyone knows its gonna be jeb, but this guy also really thought he could win with the shutdown and his stunt in December, so...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

He has no path to the nomination whatsoever, and will exist largely to sink everyone else.

Perfect

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MC Nietzche posted:

However, I get the feeling that Cruz would absolutely eat Walker alive in a debate.

This I agree with and would very much like to see. It would be like Newt in the SC debate, but going after Walker instead of the moderator

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

There has been a theory amongst the conservative crowd that McCain and Romney lost not because people rejected their ideas, or because of electoral fundamentals, or because they ran an inferior campaign, or even because Obama cheated, but because there is a great "silent majority" of Freep level super conservatives out there that stayed home rather than compromise themselves and vote for "liberals" like Sen. "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" and Gov. "47%". Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

My dad likes Jeb Bush but can't give any reasons why other than "he's actually very reasonable"

You remember the rant by Sideshow Bob about republicans? He was basically describing a large swath of people, including both our dads, and Jeb looks just good enough compared to Cruz and the rest that they can feel justified in voting for him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Some right wing talking head wrote an article or blog post about this right after the 2012 election and it immediately took hold among the right as gospel truth. I think it fixated upon the fact that there were something like 6 million fewer voters for Romney than McCain, so rather than examine the reasons behind this there was a simple assumption that 6 million GOP voters stayed home. It would be pretty important to examine stuff like just how many GOP voters can be expected to die or become too medically infirm to vote every four years (an interesting question, given the demographics), how many actually voted but voted for the other party, etc.

But no. The true GOP electorate waits for Zombie Reagan to arise from his dreamless slumber to begin his terrible reign.

That was Steve Sailer with a post on racist website VDARE who argued that rather than make inroads with minorities, get more whites to vote. His logic was "whites votes for Romney, of the percent that stayed home X were white, all of them would have voted for Romney because they were white and whites voted for Romney, X+Romney's total > Obama's total, so the GOP needs to make a pitch to activate more white voters". At the time he was ignore by the talking R heads and mocked by data wonks, and the GOP came out with their post election document saying "we need to do better with Hispanics, blacks, women, and youth voters." But the base ate it up and you got that document steadily pushed back, and now stuff like the GOP response to the "Arab voters" comments in Israeli elections where the GOP is in full defense of racially split voting and racial fear GOTV.

Things are getting ugly. I think Walker will run the worst campaign in those grounds

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey so I mentioned Steve Sailer earlier but now I think the poster I was responding to might have been referring to Sean Trende, who also had a "missing conservative voters" theory but didn't go full racist assbag

Also, the awful app insists "assbag" isn't a word, that needs to change

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ted Cruz Boldly Declares Nation Not Deserving Of Better Candidate

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

His existing machine may not work outside Wisconsin, but the thing is he'll be using the national GOP machine. It's plug and play man, insert candidate, all the components do their job

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bush is going to eat Walker alive.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

To be clear, my opinion of Walker's chances is confined to the primary, which I believe he has a chance (though certainly no guarantee) of winning, as does Jeb and a few of the other contenders.

Ted Cruz does not. He thinks he does, but he is incorrect. I am totally certain that I'll be proven correct on this point.

yeah, but if there is one thing I've learned from the past few primaries, its that if you only focus on who will win the nomination you end up missing a hell of a lot. Ted Cruz will go down, sure, but when he flames out, his position in the polls until then, who backs him, etc will impact the coalition of support available to the rest, which will in turn impact their chances, and ultimately which groups of the party have how much power in the eventual nominee's camp.

Plus now that he is officially declared, every time he goes running off after some bit of stupidity its going to drag the rest of them into it, either to refute or to agree with.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Also untrue. There were at least three in 2008.

There are very few hard rules in nomination battles but the one is that you need to have support from actors in your party and Cruz does not. It is hard to overstate how much he has pissed off fellow Republican politicians and he can't win without them, in fact they will work hard to stop him.

Who is your third? Romney obviously, Perry eh kinda, but who is your third? Huntsman had no backing, Christie never entered the race, Santorum and Newt were not establishment backed, they had billionaires footing the bill. Are you counting Ryan?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

radical meme posted:

One of Cruz's big talking points is that there are "millions of voters" who have sat out the past elections when the GOP nominated a mushy middle of the road candidate and that a true conservative like him would bring those millions out to vote for him. He has talked about these millions of absent voters in the past and he made the same statement in his speech at Liberty. Is there any data anywhere that shows that these "millions of voters" exist anywhere other than in Cruz's warped mind? The idea that they exist is a major part of his imagined road to victory.

Sean Trende of Real Clear Politics is the one who offered that post 2012 explanation, the data journalism crowd batted it around for a bit

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

when did weed get legalized in illinois
January

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

So is there a legal place to bet on the presidential election this season? Just curious, I guess.

You'll be able to bet $10 here soon enough

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ A little harsh?

I just answered my own question. Guess I'm being a dumbass today.

How was that harsh? we always have the ban threads. Post there and gamble your subscription. And didn't Arkane bet and lose a bunch of cash in 2012?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Why would Batman give a poo poo about diplomatic immunity? He's not affiliated with any government, and has already racked up thousands of assault, trespassing, illegal wiretapping charges, and has a space based weapon which is all kinds of unconsionable by the UN. What's ignoring international protocol to him?

This was when he was much more goodey two shoes, Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One had just wrapped up and those were the books that prompted the much darker vigilante take on him. This was really the start of that shift to the darker version we know today, since it also saw the death of Robin.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mdemone posted:

I hope she never does. I don't know if you have seen Warren campaign/schmooze/speechify, but she's only average in all of the aspects that would be amplified in a national fishbowl.

Obviously she's great in the sense that she believes lots of correct things and generally has the right motivations, and there are certain contexts where she would do well (like a town hall, maybe), but she wouldn't be a great presidential candidate overall and I think she probably knows it. Staying put as a liberal lion in the Senate will have a long-term impact that dwarfs anything she could achieve by being a stalking horse for better contenders in a primary.

This. I think the people trying to draft her are unclear about how the positions they want her in spend their time. Majority/Minority Leader spends most of their day working the caucus and the minutia of legislative procedure. Reid spends more energy facing down McConnell than getting anything he personally wants to advance done. Same with President, most of Obama's job is administering the bureaucracy that makes up The Government TM and dealing with international affairs, not proposing laws and shepherding them through Congress.

The best way to advance what Warren stands for would be to send in another dozen senators just like her, not have her spend her day playing the game instead of developing policy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Barring some major poo poo going down that leads to a Republican winning the general, Hillary is the next POTUS.

John Madden's secret account discovered

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Belome posted:

I didn't know you could have a raccoon as a pet.

yep. Guy at my college had one. he'd walk it on a cat leash

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I really just realized how much I want it to be Graham. I want him to beat off competitors with money and flip-flopping and get to the general. And grow a big beard, and turn into his true self.

Yoked Lindsey Graham with a beard/Jeb 2016; Let's appoint John McCain Secretary of Defense

Vote Graham 2016! We could go for another deeply rumored, possibly closeted rear end in a top hat who will bring about civil war!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Titus Sardonicus posted:

^^^same

Wow, dude sounds like the miserly villain who always tries to cancel Christmas.

Oh, you aren't familiar with Dan Burton? Let me play the highlight reel for you

quote:

Tainted funds from Pakistan[edit]
In July 2011, Burton was revealed by an FBI investigation to have received tainted election funds ultimately traced to the military intelligence services of Pakistan, apparently as a quid pro quo for "supporting to Pakistan's position on Kashmir".[30] These funds were routed via the so-called Kashmiri American Council, run by Syed Ghulam Nabi Fai, later revealed to be a front for the Pakistani Military. Subsequently, Burton's office donated the funds to charity.[31]

Vincent Foster[edit]
Burton said, in 1998 of Bill Clinton, "If I could prove 10 percent of what I believe happened [regarding the death of Vincent Foster], he'd be gone. This guy's a scumbag. That's why I'm after him."[2] Burton led the House inquiry into the death of Vincent Foster, whom he believed was murdered and urged extensive investigation into the possible involvement of the Clintons. Burton gained attention for re-enacting the alleged crime in his backyard with his own pistol and a watermelon[32] standing in for Foster's head. After hearings into Democratic fundraising (see section below) began, a Democratic National Committee staffer appeared in a pumpkin suit with a button that read, "Don't shoot."[33] Burton's information during the Whitewater controversy was based on opposition research conducted by Floyd Brown, who founded Citizens United in 1988. Due to problems with the quality of Brown's research and testimony, the investigation was closed.[34]

Golfing[edit]
In 1990, The New York Times reported that in 1989, Burton had been a "celebrity player" at the Bob Hope Classic in Palm Springs, Calif., the Kemper Open in Potomac, Md., the Larry Bird Golf Classic in Indianapolis, the Danny Thompson Memorial Tournament in Sun Valley, Idaho, the Sugarloaf Invitational tournament in Maine and the Arte Johnson Tournament in Chicago. Such players received free airline flights, free meals, and free lodging from tournament sponsors and, often, free merchandise.[35]

In November 1995, the House voted to prohibit members and their staffs from receiving gifts, including free meals and free travel to charity sports events. Burton, who led the effort to exempt charity trips, said that he played in two golf tournaments each year, and, "We get more of these lobbyists in our office than we do on the golf course."[36]

In January 1997, Burton played in the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, at the invitation of AT&T Corporation, the tournament sponsor. The day before the tournament, he played a practice round with Robert E. Allen, AT&T's chairman and chief executive, at a nearby country club. AT&T also hosted a campaign fund-raising dinner for Burton at a local restaurant. Three weeks earlier, Burton had become the chairman of the House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight, which had jurisdiction over the legislative agency scheduled to soon award at least $5 billion in long-distance and local telephone and telecommunications contracts with the federal government. Burton defended his participation in the tournament, saying it would not affect his objectivity when dealing with telecommunications issues. He said that he had partially paid for the trip, with his re-election campaign funds paying as well because he attended three fund-raising events while in California.[37]

In December 2004, Burton and two aides flew to the island of Guam. The trip was paid for by the Guam government and tourism industry. In addition to some official events, including touring a military facility, Burton played in a charity golf tournament. After he returned, he tried to help Guam's tourism industry get a sought-after change in visa rules.[38]

In January 2007, the House passed a measure by a vote 430-1 that banned members from accepting gifts and free trips from lobbyists and discounted trips on private planes. Burton cast the sole nay vote.[39]

In February 2007, a review by the Indianapolis Star of votes in the House of Representatives for the past decade showed that Burton had missed all votes during the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic golf tournament for five years between 2001 and 2007. The tournament, the third event each season on the PGA Tour, pairs celebrities with golf professionals for four of the five days of play. Since 2004, Burton has played in a guest spot of the Eisenhower Medical Center, the primary charitable beneficiary of the event. The slot carries with it a commitment to donate $10,000 to the event; Burton has made arrangements with the hospital to do this over a period of time. Burton's campaign committee reported donating $1,500 to the medical center in December 2004 and $6,353 in January 2006.[38]

The Indianapolis Star review also found that in 2006, Burton ranked last in voting among members of Congress from Indiana, missing 11 percent of the 541 recorded votes.[38] In 2007, the Indianapolis Star rated his voting record as "one of the strongest in the House, with an attendance record consistently above 95%."[40]

"... off the coast of Bolivia"[edit]
On March 29, 1995, during congressional hearings on the US War on Drugs, Burton proclaimed that the US military "should place an aircraft carrier off the coast of Bolivia and crop dust the coca fields." It was later pointed out to him that a) Bolivia is landlocked and has no coast (Burton was chairman of the Western Hemisphere Subcommittee); b) the Bolivian coca fields (in the yungas and Amazon lowlands) are beyond the reach of any carrier-borne crop-duster, being separated from the nearest coastline (the Pacific coast of Peru and Chile) by the 20,000+ feet high peaks of the Andes; and c) F-18s cannot crop-dust. While criticism of this mis-statement was muted in Washington, it sparked a major anti-American backlash in Bolivia, derailing the same War on Drugs that Burton purported to be speaking for.[41][42]

Investigation of Democratic Party fund-raising[edit]
Main article: 1996 United States campaign finance controversy
In 1997, Burton headed an investigation into possible Democratic Party campaign finance abuse, focusing on the 1996 presidential election. The committee investigation ran for several years and issued over 1,000 subpoenas of Clinton administration officials and cost over $7 million.[43] The committee, and Burton's leadership, were labeled a "farce",[44] a "travesty",[45] a "parody",[45] and "its own cartoon, a joke, and a deserved embarrassment".[46]

In March 1997, as the investigation began, Burton was accused of demanding a $5,000 contribution from a Pakistani lobbyist. The lobbyist said that when he was unable to raise the funds, Burton complained to the Pakistani ambassador and threatened to make sure "none of his friends or colleagues" would meet with the lobbyist or his associates.[22]

In May 1998, Burton apologized for releasing edited transcripts of prison audiotapes of Webster Hubbell, a former associate of President Bill Clinton. The edited transcripts omitted substantial information and differed significantly from the original recordings. Burton was harshly criticized by members of his own party, including Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, who called the investigation a "circus" and chided Burton for initially refusing to admit any error.[47]

David Bossie, the staff member who arranged the editing and release of the tapes, resigned on Burton's request. Noting that Burton had personally released the tapes and had supported Bossie's plans over the objections of other committee staffers and attorneys, Democrats urged Burton to step down as well. Minority Leader Richard A. Gephardt said, "A committee staff member should not be made the scapegoat for Chairman Burton's mistakes, missteps, and misdeeds."[47] Burton said, "I take responsibility for those mistakes," but never resigned nor faced any consequences for his actions.[47]

In President Clinton's final year in office, Burton was mentioned in a short film for the White House Correspondent's Dinner. President Clinton: Final Days, which depicted Clinton as a lonely man closing down a nearly-deserted White House. Clinton is shown hitting golf balls from the South Lawn, and gets excited when he hits a car parked in a spot near the U.S. Capitol that says "Reserved for Chairman Burton."

Autism[edit]
Main article: Thiomersal controversy
Burton has been an outspoken critic of what he terms the failure of government to determine the cause of an alleged autism epidemic. When his grandson began to show the signs of autism shortly after receiving inoculations, Burton inferred the relationship to be causal: "My only grandson became autistic right before my eyes – shortly after receiving his federally recommended and state-mandated vaccines."[48]

Burton was instrumental in pressuring the National Institutes of Health to launch a five-year, $30 million study of chelation therapy for cardiovascular disease."[49]

In an October 25, 2000, letter to the Department of Health and Human Services, acting in his role as chairman of the House Committee on Government Reform, Burton asked the agency's director to get the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to recall all vaccines containing the preservative Thimerosal. "We all know and accept that mercury is a neurotoxin, and yet the FDA has failed to recall the 50 vaccines that contain Thimerosal," Burton wrote, adding "Every day that mercury-containing vaccines remain on the market is another day HHS is putting 8,000 children at risk."[50]

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not agree that vaccines containing mercury caused autism, and the US FDA refused to ban the vaccines. Most manufacturers removed the preservatives from their vaccines anyway, with no resulting decrease in autism rates.[51]

Burton continues to maintain a page on his Congressional website called House.gov "Autism" which includes his speeches, transcripts from hearings, and newspaper articles on the relationship of autism and vaccines.

Constituent mailings[edit]
An Arizona newspaper study ranked Burton as the fifth-biggest user of free congressional mail, sending constituents more than $190,000 worth of mail in 2007.[52]

Daughter[edit]
In June 2007, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington reported that during the 2001–2006 period, Burton's campaign fund had paid $143,900 to his daughter Danielle Sarkine, who manages his campaign office. It is not illegal for federal candidates to pay family members for political work, as long as they are paid fair market value, the Federal Election Commission has ruled.[53]

Sibel Edmonds allegations[edit]
On January 6, 2008, FBI whistleblower Sibel Edmonds included Dan Burton's photograph among others featured in the "State Secrets Privilege Gallery" posted on her website, composing images of figures considered to be relevant to her case.[54] Later, on August 8, 2009, she gave sworn testimony about Burton and others during a witness deposition before the Ohio Elections Commission in the Schmidt v. Krikorian case, in which she alleged that he had engaged in "[E]xtremely illegal activities against the United States citizens ... and against the United States' interests" that involved covert operations by foreign governments and entities, but did not further elaborate on these activities, ostensibly due to the limitations applied by the State Secrets Privilege.[55][56]

That's his "Controversies" list. His "stupid poo poo that fell out of his mouth" list is much much longer

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

How did this guy stay in office, when his own seem to consider him a nutcase? Do the GoP accept anyone as long as they vote as far to the right as possible?
well he was from Indiana, which should explain most of it.

He's not wrong. Blowback from businesses and the Dems complaining aside, polling shows the public supports the RFRA

Again, Indiana.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Source? I haven't seen any specific polling on the Indiana or Arkansas RFRA bills.

No link, but March Marist poll put support for an RFRA at 54%. Yglesias has been quibbling with Weigel about polling questions and specifics influencing how it is perceived and polls so it isn't pure cut and dry, but right now "a law allowing. first Amendment religious liberty protection of exemptions for faith-based organizations and individuals even when it conflicts with government laws" wins with popular support

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Actually, Newt brought the 30 minute ad back in 2012 with his Vultures of Wall Street attack on Mitt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWnB9FGmWE

But I'm betting Rand's will be an uplifting biopic about him and the free market. Or, better idea: part one of a 10 part series of him reading the Galt speech.

And Obama did one in 2008. OFA had saved a bunch of cash planning for a bruising endgame, but then between a surge in donations after Palin became more known and the collapse of the economy they just had a bunch and were like "gently caress it, use it or lose it"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lote posted:

Trolling would be Clinton filing Form 2 at 8AM of April 7 without an announcement.

No, trolling would be a press conference at that time with Hilary as a speaker only for her to introduce Chelsea's city council campaign

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Reminder: "President Rand Paul" is an anagram of "A ripened turd's plan"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Choking at work trying not to laugh

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

Obama was only an "underdog" because the media and right wing talksphere had spent so long sneering at his community organizer background they managed to convince themselves that being a young charismatic man with experience gathering grassroots organizations was somehow a detriment to his campaign. Turns out organizing communities immediately translates into organizing voters, which DUH. Obviously that translated really well to the general but in the primaries expecially it was deadly, dude laid down organizations overnight with no pre-existing infastructure on a miniscule budget compared to Hilary and tapped groundsweels of support in the small gaps between polls and voting, catching Hilldog by suprise in every single state. It was pretty awesome to watch, also theres no one in the republican field with the ability or background to do anything even close to that sooooo

Yeah, it's been pointed out before that the keys to a modern campaign, the data collection, entry and mining, the community organizing and networking, the focus on linking together small personal relationships to build a groundswell, that stuff is really incompatible with the Republican operative career path. And there is a basic republican career path which the democrats lack. Sign on with them as a college republican, they have a system of training opportunities, intern opportunities, networking events, and the like to give you a leg up. It is a very career organized setup and it has worked well for them. With the democrats it's very haphazard and a smattering of vaguely associated groups might reach out to you, but there is nothing like the systemic, driven approach the GOP has for people who want in. But that approach flies in the face of the low status, frankly tedious, stuff that makes up the core of the Obama style campaign. They aren't interested in getting you to meet as many business owners and local politicians as possible, they want you to spend time building personal relationships on the sub precinct level so to can pop those small clusters, or get people to pivot because they k ow you. They want you to spend time crunching numbers on a computer instead of shaking hands at the chamber of commerce, because then you know where to go to have the most impact.

Post 2012 the Kich's have sunk a lot of money into paying republican operatives to do what OFA volunteers did, because it is so at odds with the GOP approach. We will see how that works out

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Frijolero posted:

So nothing? hahaha

You literally said nothing about Clinton personally.

I'm not asking to be convinced to vote Democrat and I am not raging. I simply want y'all opinions on Clinton and her views and actions.

I don't care. The personal aspect of the candidate doesn't matter.

Candidates are bound by their coalitions. The party matter infinitely more than the particular candidate because the party provides all the staffers to head up the massive organization that is the federal state, and the party provides the coalition. Past these, so long as the president doesn't let the birds fly, them personally being amazing or an rear end in a top hat is of little consequence. At best it comes out in campaigning, but they always hide their real personalities anyways. I mean, do you really think Romney actually likes corn dogs, or that Obama was totally cool with people waving the confederate flag at him?

Clinton's views and actions will reflect those of her coalition. That means she will, at a minimum, seek to maintain the basic social safety net of social security, Medicare, and Medicaid in their current form, while preserving and extending the ACA. Taxes on the rich will stay at about the level they are. She will preserve the 2010 financial reform, she will move forward on climate issues, she will appoint center left justices like Kagan and Sotomayor to the SCOTUS, and she isn't going to shred freshly forged international agreements.

What she wants has very little to do with it beyond highlighting the relative priority and means of these.

It's what Obama is doing now, it's what W did for his coalition, what Bill did with his, what HW Bush did, etc etc etc.

And with whomever the GOP nominee is its largely going to be the same priorities for them: destroy the ACA, block grant Medicaid, voucherize Medicare, cut Social Security. Cut taxes in the rich. Eliminate the financial reforms and consumer protections. Abolish any climate regulation, defund any programs addressing climate issues, appoint more justices like Alito and Roberts to the SCOTUS, resume a hostile stance with Iran and have direct military intervention in the Middle East. Whether it's Cruz, Paul, Bush, or some other but the only difference will be the relative importance of these agenda items, how they achieve them, and the competence at doing so. It has nothing to do with what they might want to do; President Gingrich may want to focus on his moon zoo but it isn't part of this agenda so it won't get acted on past some symbolic motions.

The coalition dictates what the candidate does. Who they are as a person doesn't matter.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Frijolero posted:

I never asked for convincing on Clinton and I am not saying she's no different than Republicans. What I asked was: Are there any redeeming qualities to Clinton?

The answer is clearly No.

As a Democratic candidate there are slight benefits over a GOP candidate, but as a unique person with unique traits and unique skills there seems to be a consensus that she has nothing good going for her.

I'll be voting Sanders in primary and Jill Stein in the final.

I realize you think you are being clever and contradictory and speaking truth to whatever power you imagine goons hold (the power to send pizza to the veep candidate?)

But all you are really doing is showing you don't know how it works and rambling on like an 18 year old who watched too much West Wing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

True for candidates in the general election, but the primary still offers a chance to articulate and resolve differences within the coalition. For example, Obama was criticized in the 2008 primary for his position that he'd agree to negotiations with Iran without preconditions. We're only now seeing the result of that choice - and still don't know if it will pay off.
right, but that "talk first, no drama, no being a cowboy" sentiment was immensely popular with his coalition.

quote:

It's too early to say what choices Hillary will need to articulate during the primary, but people who assume that she's going to be the same candidate she was in 2008, 2006, or 2000 are just plain wrong. The Democratic party has changed considerably in the last decade and she'll change with it.
she will reflect the current democratic coalition. The income and wealth equality branch is still failing to deliver, so they won't represent a major break from the standard Obama position to a more Warren like position. The change in the Democratic Party you mentions means the New Democrats coalition, or the Webb/Edwards blue collar one are defunct compared to the current incarnation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I call bullshit on this. Our presidential system, in terms of electability, has a lot to do with the candidates personality, as it dictates that candidate's popularity and thus voter's willingness to vote for that candidate, lest vote at all. Especially considering how many PACs and gaffes can make or break a candidate's electability. And that still matters. What you're thinking of in my mind is more of a british parliamentary election, in which the people do in fact vote for parties and not for PM candidates, which does mean in that case that who the PM is as a person doesn't matter.
i think that the high polarization of our current state makes us behave more like a parliamentary system, yes. Whether that's valid, sure I'm open to hearing a counter argument. But people voting for parties over candidates is pretty inarguable, there is a lot of documentation of the "yay team" approach people take to partisan politics. And a candidates actual personality doesn't go in to what you mentioned there, the projected personality does. Like everything else these days the candidate personality is a deliberate media construct. Like I said, do you really think Romney likes corn dogs and grits, that Obama doesn't get pissed off by the racist bullshit hurled at him? Heck, Bill Clinton comes off as immensely charming in his campaigning, in person he's a creep and accused rapist.

Now there is certainly the question of how good the candidate is at selling that, which is somewhat related to how well their persona matches who they are. Some are hilariously bad (Rand Paul) and some are really good (W Bush). But who they are as a person, not a lot.

Frijolero posted:

lol

You are getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. I've been reading about Clinton and it seems she's done very little for the welfare of average Americans. I was expecting to be proved wrong but instead I got a Democrat calling me names and getting all riled up and defending someone who really needs no defending. Good luck with life loser.

Again, I realize you think you are springing in here to upend our staid ideas and be some dynamic and clever person, but you aren't. You are boring, and I quite assure you that I'm not even slightly riled. There is nothing new with you, and we will see a few like you every week until Election Day - you have gotten nothing but my canned response to whenever this happens.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

I'm less pessimistic about this than you are, but we'll see.

I'm curious, what was your read of the Chicago election? Or is there something else you are seeing that I've missed? Chuey going down was the source of my opinion that while the left part of the democratic coalition is growing, it still isn't delivering. Sure there is Warren, but Warren swept into the primary so that's not really anything for their strength, and once she was the candidate the party splits are rather inconsequential. The ability for movement progressives to push on primaries still seems lacking for now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Ok mister! I will get out of your way! I am sorry for being boring :qq: I will let you get back to your biting political commentary.
I love your passion.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The stage we're at where liberals admit: "There are some hard truths we need to understand about social security, and covering our eyes and ears won't change that."
On the other hand "we need to expand social security" is picking up steam as a Democratic Party message.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

And then she'll get into office, appoint Larry Summers as Treasury Secretary and I'll have to start pumping whisky directly into my stomach :v:
you know, it's funny, but now that he is away from any sort of power he's been making somewhat sensible noises about the economic problems we are having now.

So maybe you can keep it to the high end whisky is what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, at a Chipotle in Ohio....

Honestly I always expected Bill would be the first to appear on a surveillance video

• Locked thread