Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Ted Cruz as well.
Yeah Cruz is going to be really important even if he doesn't get the nomination, just because he is a Tea Party True Believer and will not hesitate to attack every single other nominee as "not conservative enough".

For a preview of what this will look like, imagine what happened to Perry on immigration, but for every issue.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

In case anyone's curious (I was) this map gives Democrats 186 'safe' EVs and Republicans 125. That's a fairly sizable gap. If you give Republicans Kentucky, Arkansas and Montana (which I think are all pretty safely Republican) you still only get 186-142.
Arkansas is a bit of a wild card given that Hillary and Bill are from there, with the counter-point being that Arkansas has swung heavily Republican since 1992/1996. 2016 might show whether the "home-state advantage" is truly dead or not.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Not only is this going to be funny because of Perry's rather forgetful moment last time, Perry's still got the whole "in-state tuition for illegal immigrants" problem from last time (which he can't fully pivot away from without destroying any potential Hispanic cred in the general).

Also Perry vs Cruz is gonna be a blast, they both loving hate each other.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

:thejoke: in case it wasn't clear (though I like Booker, certainly more than most around here).

amanasleep posted:

I like Booker because he's a gifted politician with charisma who plays the game for team D. He has many awful political stances which may or may not be sincere.
Wait, I thought the Cory Booker hatred was mostly just a joke about mcmagic having some sort of personal vendetta against him. I mean Booker's "awful stances" boil down to "charter schools, pro-Israel, and anti-Iran" with the latter two not being that unusual in most of America, and definitely not unusual for New Jersey considering that a sizable chunk of Booker's constituents are Jewish. On basically every other issue he's either a party line Democrat or somewhat to very progressive, and he's especially progressive on drug issues.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's been above average in the Senate so far. There hasn't been any major bills dealing with financial institutions, which is the area he may be bad on. His campaign platform is moderately anti-big banks, but not even Chuck Schumer is explicitly pro-big banks, so we'll have to see when it comes up.
Like here, he's already starting to the left of a bunch of Democrats; if he's even slightly anti-bank I'll take it given how much Wall Street money bleeds over into New Jersey. I mean seriously, my Senators are John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, so from my perspective Booker is an insanely good Senator. All I have to look forward to in 2016 is Cruz going on the warpath and destroying everything in 2016 Republican primary, and then maybe (at best) being replaced with an establishment Republican Senator afterward.

Cruz on the warpath is gonna fun as hell to watch though, with just a slight undercurrent of "oh God if something fucks up really bad we could have President Cruz".:allears::hf::ohdear:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Santorum is going to be interesting because his base of support is still the religious right, and they have been super pissed about collectively losing their asses over gay marriage. By 2016 it's exceedingly possible that the US will have gay marriage nationwide, so while the rest of the Republican party is gonna be wishing that Santorum and rest the religious right would please just shut the hell up about gays (because it's a losing issue for them), Santorum's campaign is instead gonna be kicking the religious stuff into high gear.

Also Santorum's "Google problem" is still going to be a legitimate issue in 2016, because Dan Savage truly is the greatest troll of all time.:allears:

Dan Savage, the greatest troll of all time posted:

san-TOR-um
N.
The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.
Seriously, the news networks actually reported on this when Santorum was the front-runner for a while.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 13, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Here's some comparative data on how the GOP primary polls were looking around this time in previous cycles.

Man, you can see the fracturing in the Republican party starting after 2007.

In 1987 you had two (maybe three) favorites, in 1999 you had two obvious favorites, in 2007 you had obvious two favorites, then in 2011 you had three favorites, but one of those is Sarah Palin :lol: and now in 2014 you're got Mitt Romney aka the guy who lost in 2012 leading the pack:lol:, and a scattering of single-digit hanger-ons.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Carly Fiorina is hiring a political director and a communications director for a Presidential campaign.
I'm sorry, but thanks to her last name I keep thinking Carly Fiorina is some sort of awesome Pegasus Knight in Fire Emblem. (The Pegasus Knights in FE7 are named Florina, Fiora, and Farina, and they are all insanely good.) This has the side effect of making Carly Fiorina seem much more awesome to me than she actually is.

Joementum posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/hillary-clinton-cuba-113661.html
“I am deeply relieved by Alan Gross’s safe return to the United States, and I support President Obama’s decision to change course on Cuba policy, while keeping the focus on our principal objective — supporting the aspirations of the Cuban people for freedom,” Clinton said in a statement late Wednesday. “It is great news that Alan is finally home with his family, where he belongs.”

“As secretary of state, I pushed for his release, stayed in touch with Alan’s wife, Judy, and their daughters, and called for a new direction in Cuba,” she continued. “Despite good intentions, our decades-long policy of isolation has only strengthened the Castro regime’s grip on power.”

“As I have said, the best way to bring change to Cuba is to expose its people to the values, information, and material comforts of the outside world. The goal of increased U.S. engagement in the days and years ahead should be to encourage real and lasting reforms for the Cuban people. And the other nations of the Americas should join us in this effort.”
Huh, there's a bit of mealy-mouthed "freedom" pandering in there, but wow 2016 is gonna be really interesting with Hilary already staking out an anti-embargo position, and watching the Republicans scramble over pro/anti embargo in the primary, especially since Rubio and Cruz are both Cuban-descended.

They'll probably settle on pro-embargo since:
1. That's what the old white guys in the Republican base want
2. It's sticking with the current strategy of appealing to old-guard Florida Cubans
3. It's a way to oppose to Hillary's anti-embargo position
4. Cuba is :supaburn:COMMUNIST:supaburn:, and the Cold War totally isn't over!

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 20, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Romney's 2016 campaign is going to focus on fighting poverty and foreign policy.

:getin:, just :getin: so hard.
Uh, I don't think "Russia is our greatest geopolitical foe" works anymore, even if Putin has indeed proven to be an rear end in a top hat over Ukraine/Crimea.:v:

That would be because there's some guys over in the Middle East called ISIS/ISIL/daesh who really are horrifyingly evil monsters intent on killing anyone and everyone who doesn't subscribe completely to their hosed up belief system. ISIL also decided they wanted to provoke a war with the US, and the got what they wanted; we're now airstriking the loving out of ISIL to the tune of 27 airstrikes in the last 24 hours.

... I just remembered that Hillary is even more of a hawk than Obama. Romney is certainly not going to try go to her left of foreign policy, and trying to tack right would mean he'd have to use the dreaded I and B words (Invasion, and Boots on the ground). 2016 cannot get here fast enough.:stare::hf::getin:

Joementum posted:

The article has been updated now with a fantastic specimen of John McCain not giving a gently caress any more.

John loving McCain posted:

“I don’t know, man, it’s a free country,” McCain said of a possible Romney campaign in 2016. “I thought there was no education in the second kick of a mule. ...I respect his judgment, he’s a strong leader.”
I repeat: 2016 cannot get here fast enough.:stare::hf::getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Nice, loving the discussion about the various hosed up drugs the lady who disagrees with me is on

SedanChair posted:

Have you watched the video? We're not saying this about Ben Carson or Joni Ernst. Palin is on drugs. Now take the stick out of your rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzD-zqWwWc
Yeah, I thought some of the "she's on drugs" stuff was exaggerated/bullshit until I actually watched the video. Goddamn, Palin was definitely on something while she was speaking. forbidden lesbian described it pretty well:

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yo, actually listen to the speech, she's slurring her words a lot and kinda has the verbal tic I can't quite describe. its kinda like she talks really fast and then suddenly talks slow and then back to fast.
Our potential 2008 Vice President everybody!:stare::hf::suicide:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Missed this Huckabee jewel

"Not to diminish anything about the climate at all,” Huckabee said, “but Mr. President, I believe that most of us would think that a beheading is a far greater threat to an American than a sunburn.”
Hey Huckabee, maybe you should pay more attention to what's actually happening in the Middle East and spend less time in the Fox News bubble. Because if you did, you'd know that ISIL just got their loving asses handed to them in Kobani.

quote:

Kurdish forces have driven Islamic State (IS) militants from Kobane, officials say, ending a four-month battle for the northern Syrian town. Fighters from the Popular Protection Units (YPG) were said to have entered outlying areas in the east of the town after the jihadists retreated.

Photographs posted on social media on Monday afternoon showed the YPG flag being flown around Kobane, and male and female fighters shaking hands. As night fell, celebratory gunfire echoed across the town.

YPG spokesman Polat Jan meanwhile declared on Twitter: "Congratulations to humanity, Kurdistan, and the people of Kobane on the liberation of Kobane." Anwar Muslim, the president of the self-declared Syrian Kurdish canton of Kobane, told the BBC that the town was fully under the control of the YPG and Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters who were deployed in October. However, he added that the situation in the eastern outskirts was still "a little tense", with YPG fighters carrying out "the final clean-up" and besieging areas they believed IS leaders might be hiding.

A US defence department spokesman refrained from saying the battle for Kobane had been won. "The battle continues. But as of now, friendly forces... I believe, have the momentum," Col Steve Warren told the Reuters news agency. The advance by Kurdish forces came after several days of heavy aerial bombardment by coalition aircraft.
But please, keep bleating about how much of a threat ISIL is to Americans, you're just going to end up reminding Americans that Obama's strategy to "degrade and ultimately destroy" ISIL is actually working.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Romney is looking good

...it fits a little too well.:stare:

So where's the two weeks of freaking out over Romney's red suit just like Obama's tan suit? I assume all the squawking over Obama's suit was a legitimate fashion thing and not ahahahah I can't even pretend that "suitgate" wasn't the stupidest and most petty thing ever.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

As I've been telling you guys since (even before) Nov 7, 2012: watch out for Scott Walker.
Who's Scott Walker? I keep Googling his name but all I get are pictures of empty suits.:laugh:

Oh and a couple pictures of cheese.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 1, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Duckbag posted:

There's so many reasons to hate the guy, why does everyone keep coming back to "haw haw, he's fat" like this? It's really kinda pathetic. Especially since the average goon is probably a bit overweight, so there's this whole extra level of self-loathing going on.
:colbert: I am not overweight in the least, and never have been. (Having a super-fast metabolism loving rules.)

Semi-serious answer: I think part of it is because Cristie is flat-out obese in a really visible way. He's not just 10-20 pounds overweight, or even 30-40 pounds overweight, the dude got up to 350 pounds at his peak, which is at least 150 pounds more than a healthy (non-body builder) person should weigh.

katlington posted:

Also I knew he was fat but I didn't realize he was this fat.

I'm not saying it's necessarily right to judge him on his weight, (and he has slimmed down some), but it's always a really visible thing. I mean, one of the first things you notice in this picture (besides Cristie's eye-searing tie) is his size compared to everyone around him. Luckily for Cristie, his weight will no longer matter now, because going anti-vaxx will means that he now has a roughly 0% chance of getting the nomination, and he's going to be dropped like a hot potato for another Establishment guy (namely Jeb Bush).

Nessus posted:

As for the Taliban thing: ISIL, apparently, is actually entirely on board with vaccination programs.
Chris Cristie and anti-vaxxers: literally worse than ISIL at least with regard to vaccinations.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 3, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Jill Stein is going to run again, so that's happening.
I really hope she doesn't try to go anywhere near the anti-vaxx train.

There are (unfortunately) a not-insignificant number of anti-vaxxers in the green party, and the anti-vaxx thing has already gotten way too much traction as it is. Hopefully Christie and Paul trying to backtrack like hell mostly kills the anti-vaxx issue before 2016 rolls around.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 7, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the only path to a Jeb Bush presidency is to own the Dubya Legacy and pretend it was a massive success ruined by the devil Obama. The republican base will buy it, at least, if it's sold to them properly.
Now if you're wondering just how the hell Bush could sell the Iraq War (both 1 and 2) as a success, just get some Kurdish Iraqis to speak at the convention. I'm being entirely serious, the Kurds loving love the name "Bush":

quote:

Sulaymaniyah, Northern Iraq Kurdistan: The bald eagle, Old Glory and the almighty dollar are king in this portion of Iraq, where ethnic Kurds don’t hide their affection for the U.S. Shops peddle American flags, U.S. military gear is prized and the locals speak glowingly of the nation they credit with removing Saddam Hussein, the dictator whose heavy hand so often came down on the minority clustered in Iraq’s northern regions.

Everywhere you go a hint of red, white and blue can be bought and sold. One store tucked away in a local bazaar in this city, owned by a middle-aged man by the name of Zawzad, sells only pro-American merchandise and U.S. military-inspired clothing. “It's just beautiful," Zawzad says softly, as he reverently unfolds a giant flag, holding it up with great respect. Taxis are routinely adorned with seat covers starring the iconic bald eagle pattern, an array of household, electronic and fashion items from screwdrivers and pots and pans to guitars, phone covers, hats, shirts, shoes and bags are widely available in stars and stripes patterns.

Throughout the region, a U.S. passport gets its bearer waved through security checkpoints, ushered through ministry doors and tea served with a broad smile of the manager when dining out. The roots of the Kurdish affection for America lie in the U.S.-led operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. While the first, under President George H.W. Bush, did not topple the hated Hussein, it served notice that America was his enemy. U.S. military forces ousted Hussein in 2003 and brought him to ultimate justice in 2006, when he was executed on orders of an Iraqi tribunal. Tens of thousands of Kurds were murdered, many with chemical weapons, on orders of the former Baath Party leader. Once Hussein was gone, the oil-rich Kurdish region began to prosper. Kurds openly express their hope that the United States will help them become a completely independent country.

When the U.S.-led airstrikes to hamper ISIS were launched in August, entire Kurdish neighborhoods could be seen waving American flags in the streets, with many even marking American Veterans Day this past November. "We follow American news," Agha said. "Like shootings and hurricanes. We care about what happens to the people of the United States." Most Kurds show great respect for President Obama, but it’s the name Bush that generates a larger salute. Some are even preparing to get behind possible candidate Jeb Bush in the 2016 presidential elections.

"The first Bush made no secret that he hated Saddam, the second Bush finished him off," Agha added. "And the third will be the one to give Kurdistan its independence."

So yeah, there's one group besides the neocon War Hawks who would absolutely love President Jeb Bush to start Iraq War 3, and that's the Kurds. To be fair, I can understand why the Kurds like the US so much; in the span of 20 years they went from being gassed by Saddam to being de facto independent thanks to the US. It's still weird to think about though.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SirKibbles posted:

You got a source that's not the literal right wing propaganda outlet? I know about the H.W. Bush thing but the 2nd bush just seems like a reach.
Incoming giant walls of text, but since you asked:
Article from the Atlantic about a visit by John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Lindsey Graham to Iraq/Iraqi Kurdistan:

quote:

It's been ten years since the U.S.-led invasion, and most will observe the anniversary by remembering the dead and evaluating mistakes. Things are a little different in Iraqi Kurdistan, the northernmost autonomous region where the "invasion" is still referred to -- insistently -- as a "liberation." It's a strange, parallel universe in which American ideals like freedom from tyranny and economic promise are more intact than they are in America, as is the belief that those ideals can be spread and won through war. Some say that admiration for Americans runs so high that among the younger generation are Kurds named "Bush." I've never met such a child (nor have I ever met anyone who has) but it's plenty surreal that, as [John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Lindsey Graham] gleefully tweeted, Iraqi Kurds like Americans. Moreover, they like Republicans -- the more hawkish the better.

For a few days, the three senators were led by a beaming President Massoud Barzani, who they referred to on Twitter as an "old friend" (by McCain) and a "Kurdish patriot and true friend of the US" (by Lieberman). They visited Erbil, Shaqlawa, and Kore, where abandoned Iraqi tanks are monuments to Saddam's defeat by Kurdish troops in 1991, the year the U.S. helped to establish a no-fly zone over the region. They reconfirmed the friendship started by that no-fly zone. Barzani was happy to show the senators what they wanted to see.

I was also in Iraqi Kurdistan, and wherever I went the reputation of the American senators preceded me. More than usual, any objection to the war was seen as a direct affront to Kurdish freedom. Nor could I compare Obama favorably to Bush; like the three amigos, most Iraqi Kurds prefer the muscle of a Republican in office. "Obama is a good family man," a local reporter told me. "But I love Bush more. Bush killed Saddam." He shook his fist and said, "I love America!"

Kurds, perhaps more than any group, can attest to the brutality of the Saddam Hussein regime. Under Saddam, years of systematic human rights abuses culminated in the Anfal campaign, during which chemical weapons were used to kill over 50,000 civilians (some reports are much higher). Still today those deaths are vivid in the collective consciousness of Iraqi Kurds, who fret about aggression from future Saddams and covet the strong army and financial independence that could insulate them. The U.S. has been instrumental toward this goal, not just with the no-fly zone and the 2003 invasion, but post-invasion security and nation-building. "I remember that my brother called me from the U.K. when the war was about to start," Ali Kurdistani, a political analyst from Sulaymaniyah, told me. "I told him, 'This is the first time we have heard aircrafts flying over us and haven't been scared. Some people put up the U.S. flag and photos of President Bush."
Vice article, with lots of interesting pictures:

quote:

Teetering on the edge of seceding from Iraq, Iraqi Kurdistan still loves America. No, not the idea of chasing the American dream. The Kurdish population truly has the US patriotism of a Fourth of July barbecue. While the rest of Iraq was torn apart during the US occupation and rebel insurgency that highlighted the shortcomings of Bush-era foreign policy, Kurdistan remained relatively peaceful, with only sporadic violence. The three provinces that make up the north of Iraq were favorably treated in a US-brokered post-Saddam constitution that granted the Kurds relative autonomy.

Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan was safeguarded by US no-fly zones protecting it from fighting throughout the war. The area prospered throughout much of the fighting, and an influx of investment from German and Turkish firms allowed Erbil to rapidly expand over the past ten years, hoisting the flag of Kurdistan along with it. Kurds benefited from the Iraq war, and for that they are grateful to America. US military personnel are regarded in the region as a hybrid of Team America: World Police and pop stars. The sight of an American prompts everything from military salutes to free meals. America is viewed by many as everything the Kurds want to become. On one occasion a man told me he went to California on vacation for two weeks—“the best two weeks in my whole life.”

The fighting in eastern Iraq and Syria has displaced millions. Two such displaced persons are Shirzad and his father, Awar—both Syrian Kurds who came to Iraqi Kurdistan to flee the Syrian civil war. They now sell toy guns in Erbil’s bazaar. Shirzad saluted me, an American, when he saw my sunburnt face. Awar clasped his hands together as Shirzad translated for him: “Kurds and America, good friends. One big friend and one little friend.”

The Kurds' love for America is evident everywhere. All things US, from hamburgers to "Made in America" zippo lighters are cherished. Men and boys wear T-shirts screen-printed with red, white, and blue. A majestic bald eagle pattern frequently spans the seats in cabs. A portrait of George W. Bush can still be found hanging in the back of some shops.

But as ISIL brings a new face to extremism in the region, many Kurds are asking if the US will return—with bombs or soldiers—to its old friend Iraq. Obama has pledged a handful of military personnel and tossed around the idea of a renewed bombing campaign. One ex-Peshmerga fighter, sitting on a park bench in Erbil, told me that he thinks ISIL will continue its expansion until a US bombing campaign commences, saying that the central Iraqi government is “useless and dirty.”
Guess what we're doing right now? That's right, we're bombing the gently caress out of ISIL and having the Kurds act as our ground forces to mop up afterward. These guys totally loving called it.

Say, let's pop over to Syria for a second:

quote:

Suruc (Turkey) (AFP) - Sultan Muslim, a Syrian Kurd, had no doubt what to name her seventh child when he was born, safely in Turkey, after a harrowing month-long flight from her home in Kobane: Obama.

Desperate to flee the flashpoint Syrian border town, the heavily pregnant mother, her husband and six other children made it across the frontier just in time for the boy's arrival. Islamic State (IS) jihadists, accused of widespread atrocities, seized control of the strategic locality and US-led bombing raids launched in the last few weeks have tried to stop their advance. "I gave my son this name from my heart. I will never change this name," the shy 35-year-old said in a refugee camp in Suruc, just inside Turkey. "He dispatched planes, aid for us. Because of his help maybe we will get rid of this cruelty and get back to our homes," she said, cradling her three-day-old son.

Though not the world's first baby named after US President Barack Obama, the choice reflects the relief of many locals who thought help would never come. "We named him Muhammed Obama Muslim," father Mahmut Beko said, in symbolic gratitude for the US assistance to save Kobane. "We want Obama to help us so that we can get back home. We are also human beings. We, the Kurds, attacked whom, fight against whom?" he cried out.

Near Suruc, both Turkish and Syrian Kurds watch from hilltops, breaking out in cheers, whistles and chanting, "Obama, Obama" at each airstrike. "Like the Americans, the whole world should help the Kurds in Kobane. We have no true friends other than the Americans," said Selami Altay, a Turkish Kurd, sitting on a rock watching the battles. Sultan Muslim, meanwhile, said despite all she had an easy birth, taken by ambulance from the tent city to a hospital in Suruc. And despite the miserable conditions and uncertainty, she has dreams for her baby. "The day will come when he grows up and becomes like him (President Obama) and saves people from cruelty. "Nobody helped us, but him," she said.
Kobani (and now the surrounding villages) were just liberated from ISIL thanks in large part to ~700 US airstrikes.

Here, have a picture of a Kurdish New Years celebration:

As mind-bendingly weird as it seems, the Kurds loving love America, and see the Iraq War(s) as the US liberating the Kurds from Saddam Hussein's tyrannical rule. To be fair, that is basically what happened, even if that wasn't Bush/the US's primary intention in starting the Iraq War. Still, somebody in the Middle East loves us, which is awesome.:911:

So the point of all this is that if the Republicans want to get Jeb Bush elected, they should support the creation of an independent Kurdistan, and then have Kurdistan join the United States as the 51st state. Instant Jeb Bush victory.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 16, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
In case some of those names aren't immediately recognizable (because some of you might have blocked out the Bush years to keep your sanity):

Wikipedia posted:

As Deputy Secretary of Defense, [Paul Wolfowitz] was "a major architect of President Bush's Iraq policy and ... its most hawkish advocate." In fact, "the Bush Doctrine was largely [his] handiwork." Donald Rumsfeld in his interview with Fox News on February 8, 2011, said that Wolfowitz was the first to bring up Iraq after the 9/11 attacks during a meeting at the presidential retreat at Camp David.
There's also the Wolfowitz Doctrine.

quote:

In the Middle East and Southwest Asia, our overall objective is to remain the predominant outside power in the region and preserve U.S. and Western access to the region's oil. We also seek to deter further aggression in the region, foster regional stability, protect U.S. nationals and property, and safeguard our access to international air and seaways. As demonstrated by Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, it remains fundamentally important to prevent a hegemon or alignment of powers from dominating the region. This pertains especially to the Arabian peninsula. Therefore, we must continue to play a role through enhanced deterrence and improved cooperative security.
:shepicide:
I have only one thing to say: if the apocalypse happens and we somehow get Jeb Bush as president, I want a real, independent loving Kurdistan in the Middle East. Since Jeb Bush re-re-invading Iraq is a given, I want something good to come out of all that poo poo.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 18, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lockback posted:

Wait, why bomb Iran?
"Axis of evil!"
"They hate Israel!"
"Iran will have a Nuclear Weapon any day now!"
"We have to fight the bad guys!"

The real reason: "Those fuckers took our guys hostage!" in 1979
The other real reason: "something something they're all Muslims/terrorists/Middle Easterners/[insert various Middle Eastern ethnic slurs here] anyway."
The other other real reason (aka the really real one): Money. Lots and lots of money.

Also Obama is making a deal with Iran and Obama bad, so anything Obama wants is automatically bad.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Deptfordx posted:

Haven't Iran been a few years away from building a nuclear weapon for about 25 years now?

I mean North loving Korea has managed to cobble together some crude nukes, if Iran seriously wanted nukes shouldn't they have some by now?
Yep, that's exactly the point; I was being sarcastic because "Iran is getting nukes any day now" is a running joke in the Political Cartoons thread thanks to how loving long it's been going on and how many cartoons have been made about it:

http://seriouslyanydaynow.tumblr.com/

Seriously, any loving day now man!:rolleyes:

Any loving day n- oh wait, we were just fine with the Shah building nuclear plants back in the 70's.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 19, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Simstim posted:

I will only vote for a mexican because I want tea party/freepers to have a total meltdown
Say hi to my representative, Joaquin Castro:

I voted for Joaquin in 2012 and 2014, and I'm gonna vote for him in 2016. Now here's where the meltdown happens: I'm white, and I live in a majority-Hispanic neighborhood in a majority-Hispanic part of San Antonio, so to freepers I'm a race-traitor extraordinaire because I've sided with the "Mexicans".:getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

gnarlyhotep posted:

Ordering poll results in alphabetical order is pretty dumb
Agreed, let's fix that.

(Republicans) Given the choices of Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee, Rand Paul, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio, and Scott Walker, who would you most like to see as the GOP candidate for President in 2016?
Scott Walker ................................................... 25%
Ben Carson..................................................... 18%
Jeb Bush......................................................... 17%
Someone else/Not sure .................................. 11%
Mike Huckabee ............................................... 10%
Chris Christie .................................................. 5%
Ted Cruz ......................................................... 5%
Rand Paul ....................................................... 4%
Rick Perry ....................................................... 3%
Marco Rubio ................................................... 3%

Who would be your second choice for the GOP candidate for President in 2016?
Someone else/Not sure .................................. 24%
Ben Carson..................................................... 17%
Jeb Bush......................................................... 11%
Ted Cruz ......................................................... 8%
Mike Huckabee ............................................... 8%
Marco Rubio ................................................... 8%
Scott Walker ................................................... 7%
Chris Christie .................................................. 7%
Rand Paul ....................................................... 5%
Rick Perry ....................................................... 5%

Other interesting polls in that poll:

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of George W. Bush?
Favorable........................................................ 74%
Unfavorable .................................................... 21%
Not sure .......................................................... 5%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Benjamin Netanyahu?
Favorable........................................................ 57%
Unfavorable .................................................... 15%
Not sure .......................................................... 28%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Jeb Bush?
Favorable........................................................ 40%
Unfavorable .................................................... 29%
Not sure .......................................................... 30%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Ben Carson?
Favorable........................................................ 54%
Unfavorable .................................................... 8%
Not sure .......................................................... 38%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Chris Christie?
Favorable........................................................ 28%
Unfavorable .................................................... 45%
Not sure .......................................................... 26%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Scott Walker?
Favorable........................................................ 51%
Unfavorable .................................................... 10%
Not sure .......................................................... 39%

Christie's anti-vaxx thing seems to have destroyed much of his remaining star power, empty suit Scott Walker seems to be emerging as the alternative to Bush version 3 (and Iraq War version 3) as does Ben Carson, everyone else is scraping single digits, and Bibi has managed to massively gently caress up the formerly Bipartisan and unilateral US support for Israel. Oh, and George Bush has a 74% favorability rating among Republicans.:suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 25, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

Does anyone think Pitbull is cool? I thought he was the Nickelback of non-white people music.
I have to give him props for actually going to Kodiak, Alaska instead of being a whiny baby about it. Doesn't make him necessarily cool, but I have more respect for him that a lot of other musicians for talking the trolling in stride and owning it.

Axolotl posted:

Are there any Democrats that are called "rising stars"?

computer parts posted:

One of the Castros I would imagine.
Probably more Julian Castro (who's now HUD secretary and may even end up Hillary's Vice President) rather than Joaquin Castro (who's my awesome Congresscritter).

I'm hoping to vote for both in 2016.:getin:

E:
Bonus points: Which one is which?
Joaquin is on the left in the Red tie.
Julian is on the right in the Blue tie.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So how's Perry supposed to handle illegal immigration in 2016? Cause that loving killed him in 2012.

I mean he could go full xenophobic rear end in a top hat, but then how is he any different from the other white Republican assholes potential Republican frontrunners?

True, he's got new glasses, an American flag and ... uh...

oops

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quidam Viator posted:

So it's easy, really. We progressive voters pin our hopes on Hillary winning. All we have to do is win the GOTV race. Let's just all hope that there's not some terrible crisis or catastrophe at the end of Obama's term that shifts the country just a few points away to the right when election day comes around, right? Does that all sound reasonable?
Basically yeah.

FAUXTON posted:

No because I'd rather see a decisive victory that leaves zero question of what the goddamn score is. No hopes-pinning, no banking on GOTV, I want to see exactly how and why and when the GOP will lose the goddamn election and I want it to be decisive enough to impart the kind of psychic anguish the 2008/12 elections did, because I don't think Hillary will be as patient with their poo poo once in office and out of campaign mode as Obama has been.
This is the better option, and the one I'm hoping will happen. The Republicans are banking on getting back the presidency after suffering through eight years of the black guy Obama, and Hillary being elected combines losing the presidency again, all the nostalgic Clinton hate of the 90's, and the Republicans turning the Misogyny Knob up to 11 12 14.

To me, it all depends on merging all of the old-school Clinton support that still exists (Bill Clinton carried Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Missouri in 1992 and 1996, something that's unfathomable today) with the new Obama coalition. If Hillary (and Bill) can pull that off, and I think they can, then you're gonna see a hell of a drubbing of the Republicans. Basically, 2016 will answer the question of just how scary the "scary black man" in the White House is to idiots racist whites racist idiots of all stripes.

On a side note, bombing the gently caress out of ISIL seems to be working very well, so at least "ISIL's taking over the Middle East, everybody panic" won't be the front-and-center foreign policy issue in 2016. Instead, Republicans get to dance around what they would do in the Middle East that isn't "start Iraq War 3/Invade Syria/Invade Iran", with the constant reminder of Iraq War 1 and 2 aka Jeb Bush sitting right there on stage.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 2, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really wish I knew what an Obama presidency would've looked like if half the country and congress didn't have an absolutely visceral response to the color of his skin.
-Public option+everywhere has expanded Medicaid.
-More stimulus spending/more infrastructure spending passed using the phrase "just like Ike did".
-Better/faster economic recovery as a result.
-Ferguson probably still would have happened, but might have lead to real introspection about race afterward, maybe even with Obama leading the charge.

Oh, and Republicans would be cheering their hearts out over Obama bombing ISIL, and asking why can't all Democrats be super :black101: like him in fighting terror.

It would be pretty awesome, in other words.

DaveWoo posted:

Somewhat similar to the Clinton presidency, I would imagine.
Basically yeah.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 6, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

ABC News is owned by Republican-knob-polisher Disney. Watch Newshour.
Also watch Al-Jazeera America/Al-Jazeera English.

Seriously, finally getting Al-Jazeera America is one of the best parts of my new TV setup.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Agreed. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he has a reasonable understanding of his own ability. He pretty clearly loves himself over anything else and probably considers the presidency his destiny more than Mitt ever did.
Yeah he's basically burned every bridge he's got in Texas Politics by pissing off Perry and the Republican Establishment here, all the way back to Cruz becoming a Senator in the first place. The Texas Establishment wanted a guy named David Dewhurst to be Senator, and dumped a ton of money into him, but Cruz blindsided everybody and pulled the rug out from under Dewhurst's feet. And then because this is Texas, anybody with an (R) next to their name wins the statewide elections, thus we have Senator Ted Cruz.

This means that Cruz has nowhere to comfortably fall back to (the Texas Republican Establishment will be out for Cruz's blood in 2018 for all the poo poo he's pulled) and Cruz is staking everything on the presidential run, and will burn down everything if he thinks it will get him what he wants. However:

AsInHowe posted:

He has no path to the nomination whatsoever, and will exist largely to sink everyone else.
I called it on the first page:

fade5 posted:

Yeah Cruz is going to be really important even if he doesn't get the nomination, just because he is a Tea Party True Believer and will not hesitate to attack every single other nominee as "not conservative enough".

For a preview of what this will look like, imagine what happened to Perry on immigration, but for every issue.:allears:
:getin: Strap in motherfuckers cause it's starting!

fade5 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 23, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

Liberty students also kept getting killed by cars and trains to the point that they had to build bridges/tunnels specifically for the students.

skaboomizzy posted:

"Your right of way stops at my right to walk across the street whenever I wa-- *SQUISH*"
Regardless of any laws regarding right-of-way vs jaywalking, the laws of physics say that a car/vehicle always has the right of way vs a pedestrian. Darwin Awards exist for a reason, you know.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Um, about those "updates":

Rand Paul's updates: Status Fail

Seriously how is it loving 2016 and these guys can't do basic website competence? It's not like this is an issue with inadequate server bandwidth causing access issues, the website is literally not made yet.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Was that made in MSPaint or something because it's all hosed up from compression.

Teddybear posted:

This is a screenshot of a screen grab from Twitter I saved to my phone and re uploaded to imgur, so yeah, it's probably not the greatest quality. Print it out and take a Polaroid and you've got peak nineties Clinton going on.
Hillary (or whoever designed the website) is apparently tech-savvy enough to use a png, so have the non-artifacted one straight from her website to imgur:

You know for all of the Obama team's tech-saviness, they still used a jpg rather than a png for that Bibi trolling image on the White House website, so even at the source it was already jpg artifacted before it got copied to twitter et al.

Hillary Clinton 2016: tech-savvy enough to use png images.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 12, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Felt a sense of dread when seeing this, took a second to realize why:

quote:

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was a neoconservative think tank based in Washington, D.C. that focused on United States foreign policy. It was established as a non-profit educational organization in 1997, and founded by William Kristol and Robert Kagan. The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership". The organization stated that "American leadership is good both for America and for the world," and sought to build support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity".

Of the twenty-five people who signed the PNAC's founding statement of principles, ten went on to serve in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, including Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz. Observers such as Irwin Stelzer and Dave Grondin have suggested that the PNAC played a key role in shaping the foreign policy of the Bush Administration, particularly in building support for the Iraq War.
So given that PNAC signer Jeb Bush is also running, is Rubio using dog-whistle or just a straight-up whistle here?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

STAC Goat posted:

How are there 963 Sonics in Texas? Like, I get that its a big state but 963? No one else even comes near 300. Is there no other kind of restaurant there? Does no Texan cook their own meals? Are they just on every other corner like the way Dunkin Donuts are here?
All of the above, and add in the fact Sonic is delicious, plus they literally bring the food out to your car. On that note, presented without comment:

In actual (weird) 2016 news: Hillary Has More Facebook Fans In Baghdad Than Any US City

quote:

Hillary Clinton’s Facebook pages have an unexpected fan base. At least 7 percent of Clinton’s Facebook fans list their hometown as Baghdad, way more than any other city in the world, including in the United States.

Vocativ’s exclusive analysis of Clinton’s Facebook fan statistics yielded a number of surprises. Despite her reputation as an urban Democrat favored by liberal elites, Iraqis and southerners are more likely to be a Facebook fan of Hillary than people living on America’s coasts. And the Democratic candidate for president has one of her largest followings in the great red-state of Texas.

While Chicago and New York City, both with 4 per cent of fans, round out the top three cities for Hillary’s Facebook base, Texas’ four major centers—Houston (3 percent), Dallas (3 percent), Austin (2 percent) and San Antonio (2 percent)—contain more of her Facebook supporters. Los Angeles with 3 percent of her fans, and Philadelphia and Atlanta, each with 2 percent, round out the Top 10 cities for Facebook fans of Hillary.

On a per capita basis, in which Vocativ compared a town’s population to percentage of Hillary’s likes, people living in cities and towns in Texas, Kentucky, Ohio, Arkansas, North Carolina and Wisconsin were the most likely to be her fans on Facebook than any other American residents.

Hillary’s Facebook pages are also extremely unpopular with younger tech-savvy Americans, with just 8 percent of female fans and 11 percent of male fans aged between 18-34. Most of Clinton’s American Facebook fans are older than 55, including over 66 percent of women and 52 percent of her male supporters.

However, over at her Baghdad base, Clinton enjoys the support of younger Facebook fans with 66 percent of her Iraqi female fans and 67 percent of males aged between 18 and 34.

Across the world, 14 percent of Hillary’s fans are self-reported government employees.

Glad to see my hometown of San Antonio representing.:c00lbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 16, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Pinterest Mom posted:

It sounds like an announcement of an announcement tbh.
This has been one of the weirdest things w/r/t the various 2016 candidacy announcements: "I'm making an announcement that this Sunday I'm going to announce my candidacy for President" and as such I've technically already announced my candidacy, but whatever, gotta make it officially official and make the media's talking heads happy.

I'm curious, when did that sort of thing actually start? I presume it's a consequence of the 24 hour news cycle, but did it happen in 2008/2012 (or even earlier) as well?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TheBalor posted:

No, see, if you vote Republican, dismantle every entitlement program, grant conservatives monopolies on every avenue of power, and let them pass whatever laws they want, then you're absolutely certain to end up with real communism!
Yep, it's worked like a charm for Syria and Somalia. I mean, there's the whole "burning, war-torn hellhole" phase you have to go through, but I'm sure they'll get full communism eventually.

Somalia's gotta be close, they've been in the "burning, war-torn hellhole" phase since 1991, that's 24 whole years of experiencing abject misery. Any day now the people of Somalia are gonna rise up and get full communism. Any day now.

Jesus loving Christ, Somalia has been a burning, war-torn hellhole for literally my entire life; that is horrifying to realize.:stonklol:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Enigma89 posted:

When they don't hold the mercenary groups accountable? I don't really see the big issue with mercenary groups. This whole thing started because of mercenary groups but the bigger question is who loving cares?

If we are going to invade a place who cares if the military is doing it or a private group is doing it. The bigger and more important question is why are we there to begin with.

I don't really see the point of even talking about mercenary groups, more time should be spent on asking WHY are we sending A (military) or B (mercenaries) to XYZ country.

I don't want to argue private vs government because I don't care. At the end of the day if the war is justified then go and end it fast. But I want to spend a lot of time on talking whether or not we should go there and that is why I supported Ron and now Sanders and that is why I could never ever have supported Bush/Obama and now can't support Hillary.

I really think we are talking about two different things and the thing you are talking about I really don't care about. Being supportive of mercenaries doesn't make you a hawk. Voting for Hillary does though.
So you only care whether a war is "justified" or not, rather than who fights the war or how it's actually fought. Well now, you may not care whether the fighting is done with official military forces or paid mercenaries, but I'm sure the Iraqis care very much about multiple mercenary groups doing stupid, deadly poo poo in Iraq with basically no oversight, as does the US military:

quote:

The [US] military was often outright hostile to contractors, for being amateurish, overpaid and, often, trigger-happy.

Contractors often shot with little discrimination — and few if any consequences — at unarmed Iraqi civilians, Iraqi security forces, American troops and even other contractors, stirring public outrage and undermining much of what the coalition forces were sent to accomplish.
The Iraq war was not justified. This does not mean that the horrid conduct of mercenary groups there was/is immaterial just because the war was wrong. There are pages and pages of horrible poo poo mercenary groups did listed there, but it would make this post unreadably long if I linked all of them.

Now as to holding mercenary groups accountable, there is one whole case of that happening:

quote:

On September 16, 2007, employees of Blackwater Security Consulting (since renamed Academi), a private military company, shot at Iraqi civilians killing 17 and injuring 20 in Nisour Square, Baghdad. The killings outraged Iraqis and strained relations between Iraq and the United States. In 2014, four Blackwater employees were tried and convicted in U.S. federal court; one of murder, and the other three of manslaughter and firearms charges.

On October 2, 2007 the Democratic staff of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee released a report stating that Blackwater USA guards have used deadly force weekly in Iraq and have inflicted "significant casualties and property damage." The report found that the guards fired their weapons an average of 1.4 times a week. The report further said that Blackwater reports that its forces fired first in over 80 percent of the cases.

On October 4, 2007 U.S. military reports indicated Blackwater's guards opened fire without provocation and used excessive force. "It was obviously excessive", a U.S. military official speaking on condition of anonymity told the Washington Post. "The civilians that were fired upon, they didn't have any weapons to fire back at them. And none of the IP (Iraqi police) or any of the local security forces fired back at them", the official continued. The Blackwater guards appeared to have fired grenade launchers in addition to machine guns, according to the report.
--
"We see the security firms ... doing whatever they want in the streets. They beat citizens and scorn them", Baghdad resident Halim Mashkoor told AP Television News. He asked, "if such a thing happened in America or Britain, would the American president or American citizens accept it?" Hasan Jaber Salman, a lawyer who was one of the wounded, said that "no one did anything to provoke Blackwater" and that "as we turned back they opened fire at all cars from behind" An Iraqi police officer who was directing traffic at the scene said Blackwater guards "became the terrorists" when they opened fire on civilians unprovoked, while a businessman said he wasn't seeking compensation but only "the truth" from the guards. After a group of Iraqi ministers backed the Iraqi Interior Ministry's decision to shut down Blackwater USA's operations in Iraq, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki called on the U.S. government to end its contract with Blackwater and called on Blackwater to pay the families $8 million in compensation.
Ah, Blackwater, man that brings back memories:

''Erik Prince, founder of Blackwater/Xe/Academi" posted:

I'm a very free market guy. I'm not a huge believer that government provides a whole lot of solutions. Some think that government can solve society's problems. I tend to think private charities and private organizations are better solutions.
Again, the Iraq war was not justified. This does not mean that the horrid conduct of mercenary groups there was/is immaterial just because the war was wrong. gently caress mercenaries/private contractor groups so much.

E:
The point of this post is that Bernie is cool, and against contractors/mercenaries:

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) today introduced legislation that would phase out private security contractors in war zones.

This legislation recognizes that the United States increasingly has relied on private contractors to wage our wars, wasting taxpayer money, damaging military morale and hurting our reputation around the world.

"The American people have always prided themselves on the strength, conduct, and honor of our United States military. I therefore find it very disturbing that now, in the midst of two wars and a global struggle against terrorism, we are relying more and more on private security contractors - rather than our own military - to provide for our national defense," Sanders said.

"Our continued reliance on private security contractors endangers our military, damages our relationships with foreign governments, and undermines our global priorities," said Schakowsky. "Though we have the finest military in the world, we continue to outsource our security to private contractors, who answer to a corporation rather than a uniformed commander. When Senator Sanders and I introduced this legislation last year, we had 22,000 armed private contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, we have 28,178. We need this bill now more than ever. "

Military officers in the field have said that private contractors operate like "cowboys," using unnecessary and excessive force uncharacteristic of enlisted soldiers. In 2007, guards working for a firm then known as Blackwater were accused of killing 17 Iraqis, damaging the U.S. mission in Iraq and hurting our reputation around the world. Later that year, a contractor employed by DynCorp International allegedly shot and killed an unarmed taxi driver. Incidents like this demonstrate that we should leave warfare to the military rather than delegate it to private corporations.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Honestly Chafee should just throw in the towel now. I mean goddamn, that's just sad.

Donald Trump, professional idiot posted:

Specifically, what would you do to address the Islamic State (ISIS) in Iraq and Syria?

I have an absolute way of defeating ISIS, and it would be decisive and quick and it would be very beautiful. Very surgical.

Military on the ground? Drone strikes?

If I tell you right now, everyone else is going to say: “Wow, what a great idea.” You’re going to have 10 candidates going to use it and they’re going to forget where it came from. Which is me.
This is exactly like Romney's mystery box plan in 2012. "I have a plan, totally. But I'm not going to tell you what it is, you have to elect me to find out."

And haha loving Christ that is complete and utter bullshit, the only decisive and quick option to pushing back ISIL (not even defeating them, just shoving them back underground) would be a massive US (re)invasion of Iraq and Syria. Or a nuke, for a given definition of "decisive, quick, beautiful and surgical".

You know, I'd love to ask "the Donald" if he even knows who the Kurds are.:allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Between this and Jeb completely bungling the "what would you do about Iraq" question (aka the one goddamn question he should have been 100% prepared for given his last name/brother) I'm seriously questioning if Bush will actually end up being the last man standing and get the nomination. He's definitely going to be fairly strong in the primary, but I don't know if he'll actually make it all the way like Romney did.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This person seems to be implying that this is a problem.:getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So did Donald Trump say anything more about his mysterious and secret 100% guaranteed "strategy" to defeat ISIS in his announcement?

Also holy poo poo he's actually running, that is hilarious.

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? I thought that was just a rumor. So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?
This is amazing, there are so many candidates that even the stragglers get a debate. I thought the free market was supposed determine who makes it into the debates, and that if you weren't popular enough to get into a debate well then too loving bad, Lord High Almighty Free Market (PBUH) has spoken.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Speaking in Derry, New Hampshire, Tuesday, Bush acknowledged that when his brother President George W. Bush attempted to privatize Social Security in 2005, he met great bipartisan resistance.

Joementum posted:

“My brother tried, got totally wiped out,” Bush said. “Republicans and Democrats wanted nothing to do with it. The next president is going to have to try again.”
Privatize social security? Seriously between this and fumbling the Iraq question, Jeb has managed to step squarely on at least two of the largest and most obvious land mines from his brother's presidency, and we're not even anywhere near the general.

E: Meant to do a partial crosspost in to USPol, and edited my post a little.

I really am questioning Jeb's supposed "inevitability" if he can't even dodge the most obvious fuckups from his brother's presidency.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread