Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

blunt for century posted:

Bill Maher is kind of an anus regardless of his audience

Kind of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Don't see why. Every time he looks in a mirror he's staring down direct evidence of the missing link.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm a little surprised this happened with one of Jeb's staffers. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a scrub-tier campaign like Walker or Perry.

I guess the talent pool really is that shallow.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

All of the stuff is what you'd expect a college Republican to think is OK to write. In the past, they'd pen an op-ed for the college paper that would go through a sanity check from an editor who'd tell them to tone it down a bit. Now they just blast it out on social media. We're going to see a lot more of this as kids who were in college during the explosion of social media start getting high-level campaign jobs.

Well yeah obviously, but I'd expect Jeb's people to be a little more on top of things and cast a wider net. Though I'm guessing they probably will now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
most of the native americans i know are either baptists or belong to black churches because they're black, except one dude who's decided to become a messianic jew

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

I'm sure they will have no problem ultimately winning the state in the general election, but that kind of number is a pretty lovely indicator of how the general election will go, and it suggests she will likely win important states like VA pretty easily.

Nah it's an indicator nobody in SC knows who the lower tier GOP candidates are. Polls this far out are just checking name recognition.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

How many ways can you say "shrill harpy" or "castrating bitch" without actually using those words?

Finally my overstock supply of Hillary Clinton nutcrackers will hit their peak value.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

My prediction: the Bushes and Carter do another pre-recorded tape, Obama gives one of the big end-of-night speeches, possibly the nominating speech, and Bill Clinton doesn't speak.

No way Bill doesn't speak.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Who speaks at a Bernie Sanders-as-candidate DNC?

Amy Goodman
Glenn Greenwald
Dennis Kucinich
a random Larouchite hanging out in the parking lot
Vermin Supreme

Chuck Mangione's gotten weird lately.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 16, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

That's a pretty good poll of who's been mentioned in the news most recently. Expect a similar surge for Jeb and maybe Rand Paul in the next round since they're getting ink this week.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cliff Racer posted:

I am sorry to the rest of the thread that none of this has anything to do with the 2016 presidential primary.

Nah it's cool dogg, today we learned David Brooks is a goon.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

How does that make any sense, and how are these people being paid to be so drat wrong?
Just what in the hell are they smoking?

Old white people make up the primary electorate in both parties.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Webb is unelectable. I don't know why anyone is taking him seriously.

Is anyone other than Jim Webb and maybe Joe Scarborough taking him seriously?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

It think this is just the case of Hildawg hiring loving retarded people. loving retarded expensive rear end people.

Y'know, there's one former Clinton staffer now working as a big-time marketing guy at a big-time company with a couple national campaigns under his belt. She could always call him up instead...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

:lol: if you don't seriously hunt Republicans and vote bald-eagle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. Last time, Perry represented something to the GOP electorate. He was the God fearin', gun totin' Southern State politician with plain spoken uncompromising right wing positions, and better yet, a governor from Texas which is not only Southern but the power center of GOP politics these days. But this idea of who Perry was didn't stand up to him opening his mouth and being a dumbass, and running dumbass redneck gay bashing ads and such.

Nah Perry's fall from grace began when he didn't immediately come out as an immigration hardliner; in fact that had dogged him before he even announced. Getting hopped up on goofballs before debates was just the final nail in the coffin.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Once again, Republicans are on the cutting edge of what 50 year olds think that 30 year olds must think is cool.

Does anyone think Pitbull is cool? I thought he was the Nickelback of non-white people music.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

The idiot and most certainly a biological retard is a guy I just happen to disagree with politically.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The Dems still need a compelling platform to turn out minorities to win, though

Not necessarily; just ask Terry McAuliffe.

The real issue is GOTV.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Careful with that. He ran against a horror show and made his margins in previously GOP white and Asian immigrant suburbs in Fairfax and Loudoun. That's what changed from 2009. Also, there was a noteworthy 3rd party candidate.

True, but it's hard to really pinpoint how much of a spoiler effect Sarvis had. Also McAuliffe wouldn't have been able to run up the margins in NOVA/Tidewater/Richmond without an effective ground campaign.

Look at Hagan in NC last year. Her loss was in large part because of not doing the legwork, and cannibalizing election day votes through early voting.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

Why wouldn't the Obama coalition turn out for Hillary?

If for whatever reason OFA doesn't share their database with the Clinton campaign, the same way they never shared it with state parties forcing them to do GOTV from scratch.

quote:

I don't see any numbers that show here being particularly unliked in any significant corner of the Democratic electorate, the fact that she has white skin will give her a boost in Greater Appalachia where Obama's white support tanked,

This might have been true 8 years ago, but the relatively few white Appalachian voters who might have gone for Hillary in the general back then are a lost cause at this point.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Idk, you cant just dodge around "did you hire for your staff the man who is widely credited as being the major developer of the Bush Doctrine?"

If GOB's gonna get done it'll be in the primary because he's on video speaking illegal and he's married to one of them. It's already haunting him in Iowa, and even Walker's had to dance the dance lately to build off his sudden name recognition.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 9, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Moreover the Appalachian populations are either in states which electorally don't matter (WV, KY, TN) or there's not enough of them to overcome the urban populations (OH, VA, NC).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Rubio's a nonstarter. GOB nullifies any possible advantage he might have had before the amnesty flap.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I'm surprised Lindsey Graham has such high name recognition and negatives among Republican voters.

Someone's up on Sunday watching Meet The Press.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The bigger takeaway from that poll is that likely GOP primary voters are most familiar with Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Apparently someone needs to introduce galoshes to large parts of the country.

I grew up in a much poorer and more rural place than Ernst and people here would look at you like you're an idiot if you showed up with wonder bread bags on your feet. There's being resourceful and there's having a lick of common sense. Ages ago they used to use little plastic booties for hog farm workers to cover their feet when they had to get into the wallers or clean out pens, but surprise surprise they have zero traction and tear easily. So people just started using fishing boots instead. I can't imagine walking around on bread bags with ice all over the ground like you'd get in Iowa.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

I live in North Florida and this place is absolutely incredible. The entire non-beach area exists solely because of U.S. military bases but the government is "plumb drat EVIL." Oh, the stories I could tell about dealing with backwoods hillbilly Republicans, Lord God.

Every shithole town built around a military base is chock full of welfare queen vets who put in their 20 decrying the big bad government. It's not unique to North Florida by any stretch.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I guess if you were a dumbass you could do that, but normal people put them on the inside of your shoes, like a boot liner. That way if the snow cones over your boot or if they have a hole, your feet stay dry.

One could be forgiven for thinking Sen Hog Balls was in fact a dumbass.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

A Republican Senator who's running for President has a staffer who wrote for a neo-Confederate publication and (this is the real shocker) it's not Rand Paul (this time)!

In case you don't want to click, it's Lindsey Graham.

Tbf you try finding qualified Republican staff from South Carolina who haven't written for a neo-Confederate publication at some point.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

e: Also that Graham logo has GOT to be a photoshop. It HAS to be. I know conservatives are loving human trash with no self-awareness but SOMEONE in that julep-swilling cockup's office HAD to be like "YO LINZ, THINK YOU'RE LAYING THE HITLER ON A LITTLE THICK HERE." "Security through Strength" with a loving red/white/black eagle? Seriously? Is he going to announce a continental Anschluss next month?

I feel there's an Ernst Rohm joke in there if you put just a little more effort into it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

What were his qualifications outside of keeping Reagan's Alzheimers in check and the Latin American deathsquads funded?

Well that's half the job right there.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Huckabee's "campaign" seems to be going well, for him.

Makes a great Easter gift!

For children you hate.

Tobermory posted:

Huckabee's selling revisionist history DVDs with a negative-option billing scam? Republicans.png

2016 Presidential Primary: The Columbia House of Christian Charlatans.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 13, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Carson has shown time after time after time that he has extremely little knowledge about any sort of geo politics or even US politics. As far as I can tell the entire explination for Ben Carson is he was gifted black doctor that said Obama and Obamacare sucks and he became just the latest black friend of the GOP like Steel and Cain before him. He could have used that position to become some sort of thought leader on a GOP overhaul on the broken US medical care system but oops it turns out he didn't really understand Obamacare that well because he is a neurosurgeon and as such has extremely limited interaction with the business end of the healthcare system and really doesn't substantially disagree with the ACA. Inexplicably he decided to give up his talents and become a right wing political celebrity that has no idea what he is talking about but as a right wing political celebrity feels obligated to run his mouth anyways.

Actually he was in favor of single payer before he decided fleecing rubes was viable retirement gig.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good Citizen posted:

He's got to know that being under the GOP primary spotlight for long can cause candidates to melt.

It's especially dangerous when your face already looks like a wax sculpture stuck under a klieg for a couple hours.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Parachute posted:

Cruz is smart in the sense that he knows he has not only no chance of a nomination, but no chance of becoming President so he just starts his race early hoping to catch big donators as early as possible.

You're ascribing a level of self-awareness he's yet to demonstrate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

You gotta admit if Cruz has in fact mastered the dark art of necromancy it would be a pretty neat parlor trick.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Except Clinton's healthcare proposal during the primary was essentially the PPACA. Other than her Iraq war vote it was the only substantive difference between her and Obama.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Series DD Funding posted:

So? Nobody will care what she said in 2008 as long as she spouts the right platitudes now.

It'll be hard to say you would've done something different when you're on record advocating for literally the same thing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's a moot point because all she'll say is it needs to be strengthened and Medicaid expanded. She's not going to run against a program popular with dem voters. Even her instincts as a politician aren't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

One of Cruz's big talking points is that there are "millions of voters" who have sat out the past elections when the GOP nominated a mushy middle of the road candidate and that a true conservative like him would bring those millions out to vote for him. He has talked about these millions of absent voters in the past and he made the same statement in his speech at Liberty. Is there any data anywhere that shows that these "millions of voters" exist anywhere other than in Cruz's warped mind? The idea that they exist is a major part of his imagined road to victory.

While just under a million more people voted for Romney than McCain, a couple more million people voted for Bush in 2004 than either McCain or Romney. Which can easily be explained by mortality rates.

• Locked thread