Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So apart from the joke, is there any reason why Chelsea Clinton is up there?

Also, is there any solid information indicating that Hilary would hire Mark Penn, and if so, why the everloving gently caress she would do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Three of those four people won the Democratic nomination :ssh:

One of them actually won the popular vote and electoral colleges.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CubsWoo posted:

I don't think age will be an issue unless the Republican is one of the many options that are 15+ years younger than her. Optics are a part of the campaign and when put into side by side situations (debates, etc) the contrast could be stark just like it was seeing Obama and McCain side by side.

Yeah, optics is important. Which is why its pretty good Hilary doesn't look 69, she looks like this.

She's still blonde, for fucks sake. Yeah, its dyed, obviously - she's dyed her hair since she got into politics, naturally she's a brunette, but my point is, she doesn't look 69, to the point where someone above mistakenly called her middle aged.

McCain looked like he could come shuffling out of the crypt, rattling chains, to warn passerbys that they would be next. Hilary looks like most businesswomen I've worked for. So the optics don't play out the way you think they would.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CubsWoo posted:

Huntsman is the perfect Republican to run if all you think the Republicans need to do to win is just run more Democrats.
That is what they need to do to win. Its just not what they want to do to win.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 13, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Killer robot posted:

I keep coming back to this thought. For all the discussion of politics and demographics, and for all that they certainly affect things, when was the last time the general election wasn't won by the more charming person?

Bush and Dukakis.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

I'm excited about Frida's national election prospects nonetheless, though by the time she can run she might be a bit old, 9 1/2 is no spring chicken. I mean, this is assuming the Supreme Court rules that dog years count for constitutional eligibility...

There's nothing in the constitution that says a dog can't be president.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

He's a purebred so I'm sure its around somewhere.

Great, thats just what we need, a president who's inbred.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

Would Christie be the fattest President since William Howard Taft?

And who is the ugliest President so far?

:nixon:

E: Beaten.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

How is the answer to this anything but Lyndon Johnson?

With the amount of women he got into bed? He's got to have something going for him. The job and Jumbo wouldn't account for all of them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have a hard time deciding whether their lust for power is more potent than their capacity for grudge-holding/score-evening.

Which was being served when Bill Clinton gave the speech of 2012 in favor of Barack Obama?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

The next Democrat's VP slot will be worth only half of the usual bucket of warm piss.
Dems can win in 2016 and again in 2020, which is what we need to get a sane SCOTUS majority, but 2024 on top of all of those? Five in a row? I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

No party's held onto the White House for 20 uninterrupted years in a row since FDR-Truman, and before that, not since Jefferson-Madison-Monroe-Q.Adams. Voters like to hand the Oval Office over to the other party every 8 years or so just to make sure they still can. Even during eras of one-party dominance.

How many political parties in American history have been as blatantly bad about everything and as unlikeable to anyone who isn't them, ever, outside the goddamn Confederacy? If the Republicans can field a sane candidate in 2024 who doesn't openly hate the America of 2024, yeah, they may win. And if a rat was capable of photosynthesis, I might keep one as a pet.

Analysing trends and voter patterns doesn't work if one side fields a potato.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

After sniveling elitist weaklings Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, who would have seen Bill Clinton coming? After Hoover, who would have foreseen Eisenhower? There are a lot of midterms between now and 2024. Plenty of time to rebrand the Republican party, if they're smart about it. Maybe this time, it will be a good version of the party, instead of the perverted version of anti-scientific corporatist racist pidgeon-hawks we see today. Something a bit more libertarian to fit with the younger crowd, probably.

That, or they could exploit the complacency caused by 16 years of economic growth and find some wedge issue to motivate their base while the Obama/Clinton coalition forgets to vote because it's such a nice day outside.

I see a flaw.

Carter, Mondale and Dukakis were bad candidates. Hoover was a bad president. The Teapublicans are, at their core, a bad party. Their solution to everything is always to go further right, and they'd need someone to stand up and say thats not working. Forget getting people to follow that person, when has saying that not resulted in them tearing that person to shreds?

They'd need to break their cycle of behaviour before they can come back and redeem themselves, and its been made very clear no force on this earth or any other will break that pattern. The momentum is simply too strong, it has become self perpetuating.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Carter was one hell of a president :(

I don't deny that. A Christian in power actual Christians could be proud of. But he was terrible at explaining to the people why they needed to be adults, why Americans couldn't just chase easy answers and empty rhetoric. Making him bad as a candidate.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eschers Basement posted:

No good process ever ends with "which is how we got Agnew."

"Future people found this headless corpse and brought it to life to act as the vice president"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He's not going to be tied to everything Bush?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think I love you.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Aside from Perry, who might not even run, which of the current non-moderate candidates are even viable? They'll have to settle again, the only question is on who.

Paul approachs viability.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

No, Dr. Ben Carson has no chance at all of coming anywhere near Presidency. He is a joke candidate.

That post was about Rand Paul.

Mooseontheloose posted:

He is going to pull off some younger voters for being isolationist and pro-weed. He is going to have the business class behind him and the Republican nutters are gonna be excited in a general election.

Hilay will not touch isolationist at all, but I hardly see anything stopping her from being as pro-weed as Paul is. Its not like the drug war is something Democrats inherently love.

Paul will likely go to legalising opium, heroin and cocaine, and Clinton will not touch that. But those drugs aren't as popular or as liked as Marijuana.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think he has a powerful narrative if it's the Bush/Clinton III. He is going to talk about new ideas and new people in government and new vision. I hate the man, I think his economic vision and idea of how society work is dangerous but I wouldn't sleep on him because he may have some exploitable ground going forward.

Yes, I can see how a fresh faced, totally radical and new message would have great appeal to a party whose both name and political position emphasie how they hate anything and everything new.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

De Nomolos posted:

In what world is there a significant part of the active Tea Party that isn't also part of the Religious Right? Much of Paul's outreach is on homeschooling and I don't know of any way Huckabee differs on economics, aside from knowing how to better make it sound like compassion.

I think some of you are forgetting how well Huckabee did at being affable and getting earned media off of that in 2008. Santorum sounds like a prick. Huck sounds like your favorite kind uncle. Cruz is the guy everyone hated in debate. Paul taaaalllkkkss liiike thiiiis.

Huckabee is the closest thing to a Reagan-like communicator the GOP has. Someone can say he did xyz as gov and he can brush it off and say "there you go again" and turn to talking about working hard when he was a young man at American Values and free markets for a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and everyone will say "he's so nice sounding!"

Three words - "soft on crime". The Tea Party claim to be religious, but what part isn't totally authoritarian "hang the criminals"? There's no easy way to brush off what happened because of what he did, and there is no chance "this is what Jesus commsnded" will mean anything, since its not what Supply Side Jesus said.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does the US even give foreign aid to Palestine, or is this a waste of everyones time that will still sound good to the uninformed?

Flobbster posted:

In that GIF, Chris Christie is literally every awkward teenager looking for group acceptance that Jonah Hill has ever played.

Hi, I'm Christie, and I like warm hugs!

BiggerBoat posted:

The GOP knows what it's doing in a lot of ways. The fact that they're even taken seriously, consistently frame the political narrative and get poor (white) people to consistently vote against their own self interest is testament to that, but the people who run the show know better than to believe the bullshit that the carnival barkers espouse. The stuff we all laugh at

That unskewing the poles ever got any traction suggests you're giving them too much credit.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Eh, that was mainly because Sandy was in his backyard; one of the house members who voted against Sandy relief, Mo Brooks, was also on record as wanting relief for when tornadoes ravaged his Alabama district. Only moral X is my X, etc.

Doesn't matter, they've still got him on camera hugging the nig President. Forget Bridgegate, touching the President, let alone hugging him, will be the thing that kills him completely.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

We give token aid to stuff in West Bank and Gaza, but the aid that goes to Israel absolutely trumps it. It's also literally nothing from a budget standpoint, either.

Remember that time Romneycare torpedoed the candidacy of noted primary failure Willard Romney? The GOP will toss its principles if it thinks for even a moment a candidate has a shot of winning the general. Beating those evil Democrats trumps ideological purity every time, and the times where it hasn't has usually resulted in the chosen candidate losing pretty badly.

Yes, they will toss their principles. Which would mean anything if their hatred of Obama was based on principles.

People who act like Romneycare meant anything are acting like the only problems that Republicans have with Obamacare si the suffix "-care". No, it was all about their hatred of the black man achieving something in his time, and how it must be destroyed. It was similar to something Romney did? Who the gently caress cares, Romney is white. But what Christie did was embracing the black guy, and acting like he's the president. And not just that, there's the "He helped Obama get elected by pretending that Sandy wasn't a fuckup". They will ignore their supposed principles, but they don't forget, and they don't forgive.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

I can't believe I'm finding myself saying this, but I think you're drastically overestimating how many frothing overt racists there are among the group of GOP primary voters. There's lots of them, but it's not a KKK rally by any stretch.

Phoneposting, so pretend I linked that video of them booing a returned serviceman because he is gay.

quote:

I also think your read on Obamacare is off the mark because it's something the base would be against no matter the color of who was implementing it since it's the federal government strengthening regulations and doing things.
Its their idea! The whole idea is a Heritage foundation Conservative Alternative to a federal healthcare system.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 6, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because its good for cheaply increasing base turnout.

Yeah, the base aren't racist, they just really really love electing racists. And ostracized a man who shook Obamas hand so hard, he had to switch parties, and they replaced him with the corpse of a snake someone found in their pool.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

The only part the Heritage Foundation contributed is the part that conservatives hate the most, the individual mandate.

As I said before, the part they hate most is the guy who signed it. If any part of the real hatred was idealogical and not raw lizard brain hate, the name Obamacare never would have caught on.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

Yeah, there's an irrational hatred of Obama among the GOP, but you're doing a poo poo job of backing up your point that a 4 year old photo is going to doom the candidacy of a pretty charismatic guy who polls pretty alright.
I repeat - the backlash against Charlie Crist for shaking the Presidents hand, and the subsequent replacement with Bat Boy.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ufarn posted:

If Romney really is running, he'll have to hurry to announce before CES is over.

I dunno, I can't really see him falling under consumer electronics. Maybe industrial? Something to explain that abysmal user interface.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hodgepodge posted:

I didn't think that Christie left much room in that niche.

..... :rimshot:

You really think that Republicans will only stop at one morbidly obese candidate?

Its the only possible way their lineup can resemble actual America.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

See also Ted Cruz.

Making fun of Ted Cruz for his name is like making fun of Donald Trump for his education.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

You don't remember her 2008 insane video she made where people were singing and it had a dog in Americana costume and sparklers? She needs to be re-introduced as something really big-budget Hollywood style now.

Didn't she already do that with a country song nobody could figure out if it was official or just a tone deaf (in so many ways) fan?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

Oh come on. Was he really less photogenic than this guy?

And yet according to records, he still has the biggest presidential list of affairs by a mile.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

According to Political Legend, LBJ had a rather large D.

Supposedly he once whipped it out in order to justify Vietnam. That is not a euphemism. A reporter asked why Americans were dying in Vietnam, he pulled out his dick and yelled "This is why!"

I wonder why Obama has never tried that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slate Action posted:

Yeah but Paul Ryan met the minimum requirement for presentability, in that Joe Sixpack couldn't immediately tell he was a moron. Remember when a bunch of media outlets agreed that Ryan '''''won''''' that debate?

Those exact same outlets said Palin won her debates, and was actually a maverick who refused to play by establishment rules and was actually giving great answers or some bullshit. Right wing propaganda places will dispense right wing propaganda and don't care about the facts. There's a reason mouth breathers still hang on her every word, and it ain't cause she's just that charismatic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's half of what it was in 2012. :(

How many had been planned at this point in 2011? Debates have a tendency to just spring up, especially when you gather a bunch of power hungry narcisissts and an audience that absolutely adores empty rhetoric and attempts at one-upmanship.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

Based on the wear on his jeans, Mitt carries his wallet in his left pocket. Is he left-handed?

Yeah, both him and Obama.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fool_of_sound posted:

Has Bill Kristol been right about anything in his entire career?

Only when he said "people will actually pay me for this poo poo"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My money is on quintupling down on old straight white "christian" males.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Chris Christie got the "black" from Obama when he hugged him, he is tainted and therefore ineligible for the Republican nomination.

Nooo, don't say that around hete, apparently if the GOP is known for one thing, its rational forgiveness and being welcome of working with Obama.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

If Sanders is coming at her from the left, they should probably dig up at least one crusty Blue Dog to come at her from the right, giving her the opportunity to defend and please the base. Beating up on Bernie for several months straight wouldn't particularly impress anybody who wasn't already gonna vote Republican.

Throw some crochety no-way-in-hell candidate like Rendell in there and get him to holler dated slogans that will make her look cool and progressive by comparison.

If we're resigning ourselves to political theatre, just have Clinton debate Kevin Spacey and Julia Louis Dreyfus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QwertyAsher posted:

"Having any quantity of black hair on top of their head" is enough to qualify you for 'handsome' in the GOP primary universe

I think you set the bar too high - remember, Newt Gingritch is considered hot.

• Locked thread