Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Romney picks someone with an 'R' last name, he could save some cash and re-use his last campaigns' logo.

Romney/Rauner, two moderate governors from blue states, would absolutely trigger a Tea Party run after the convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

By that CNN poll I'm seeing 45% for the moderate/business wing of the party (Romney, Bush, Christie, Ryan, Kasich), and 43% for Everyone Else. IMO this sends up huge warning flags for those of us hoping for a crazy candidate, as the clowncar vote will likely split and the businessfolk won't fight it out too much, being more likely to coalesce around a single candidate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah yes, the calculated Clinton move to tap Big Money Warren for that sweet campaign cash

I agree that Clinton's VP will be from the lower Midwest or from west of I-35, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

George HW Bush is still eligible to run as well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love the permanent campaign.

I love the horserace.

I love US politics.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For some reason I just remembered the URL to this, and it's still up!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

I remember the DMR poll in Iowa last October off the top of my head.

I think it's interesting Clinton's highest support is against Bush. It's been said here that people don't turn out to vote against someone else, but it could very well be true with 1/50 voters. I wonder if those numbers will hold up this spring, when the idea that he's really running has had time to fester.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bolton and Paul in a foreign policy debate would be some good television.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

As a reminder that OC could get conservative as gently caress outside of UCI, when I was around Tustin in mid-June 2012 I saw a bumper sticker on a Kiwanis vehicle saying "1.20.13 THE END OF A MISTAKE".

Obama still won the vote in Tustin, though.

in late 2004 my roomate bought bumper-sticker paper and printed out long, bumper-spanning stickers that read: TO ALL KERRY VOTERS: AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

he made multiple because they'd last about 24 hours apiece

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

When's the last time Romney has dipped under 15% support even in a crowded field? His base according to polling is the most solid and most consistent out of anyone. Old people love him and donors love him. His only threat is Huckabee, imo. Paul's a wild card, I have no idea. I think his comparably low ceiling of possible support among the GOP will hurt him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eternalname posted:

I'm convinced she's a speed addict. Look at her and listen to her manner of speaking. (I used to be one myself, so this isn't totally out of my rear end)

If anyone's weirded out by this, she's medicated on uppers of some sort and it's obvious. It was obvious when Perry was on opiates and it's obvious now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ufarn posted:

So remind me what the deal is with the Kochs stanning for Jeb and bashing Romney?

They've decided he's the big business candidate, I guess. I thought they'd go more libertarian, but the immigration issue (keeping wages low) seems to be a high priority for them. I frankly think the business wing would sit out 2016 or even endorse Clinton if an immigration hard-liner looked to win the nomination.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 28, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FMguru posted:

Here's a complete list of states that aren't in danger of being bitten on the rear end by underfunded pension obligations:

Rhode Island :v:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

From the Fox News poll released this week, Christie's down to 4% among GOP primary voters. Those are Jindal numbers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

QwertyAsher posted:

the range near my house kicks people out if they have targets of living people that aren't photos taken to be range targets, and they have six or so Confederate Flags in the building

I'd sure hope so!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's weird is that if Jeb is the nominee, W will be in the audience and it'll be palpably weird that he's not speaking. He'll definitely be the biggest issue for Jeb heading into the fall campaign, and we can all steel ourselves toward reliving our high school years in the media.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's weird studying past elections. Realignment elections are usually one-sided affairs where it's clear the national politics has shifted in a major way. But since 1980, it's been 35 years of fairly close elections ('84 notwithstanding) with a general trend of a slow bleed of white voters from D to R, with Ds picking up the rest from increasing minorities.The change has been so gradual that it may have staved off a realigning election for the time being. I don't think one is likely or even possible when both parties are evenly matched, even when that coinflip ends up D more often than not.

We're about due for a realigning election, but what are the issues that will tip the scale? What major voting blocs can still shift parties? Is the gerrymandered House the major point of inertia the GOP has, or is it the good job both parties have done in marketing to essentially each lock up ~45% of the electorate?

Does a D wave in 2020 (snatching some state legislatures and gerrymandering the House to benefit themselves after the census) make a realignment more or less likely?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

-i love putting words into other peoples mouths calling people who disagree with me shiteads and not using correct punctuation /TEAYCHES 2192015

imagine four world powers on the edge of a cliff. realpolitik works the same way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Santorum is a communion wafer, obviously

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so why can't we skip the fascist genocides and go straight to Full Communism instead? it seems like an...unnecessary step, to say the least

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FOUND: old Scott Walker clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS-RB-goZqk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jesus Christ. I'm beginning to think it was more than personal reasons he didn't graduate college.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

You're forgetting that the strategy du jour is that dodging questions from the liberal media means you have a backbone in crazy land.

It's not the liberal media that he should be worried about. His latest disaster was from a softball from Club For Growth. If the other candidates start to support the narrative that he's dumb or unprepared, I think it'll stick in a hard way. Worse than Perry, too, because at least Perry is personable and went through some semblance of brand retooling.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nessus posted:

Is Cruz or Walker the guy who now has Rick Perry's "I Beat A Lousy State Democratic Party A Bunch Of Times, So I Am Definitely Your Next President" championship belt? I assume Walker of course.

Hey, Tony Sanchez was a hell of a candidate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My one worldly desire before I leave this mortal coil is to see a national convention go beyond a single vote. If Ted Cruz only nets one delegate, he still furthers this plan and I fully support his journey.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I see Ted Cruz as basically a sniveling little poo poo, but my dad sees a conservative warrior-scholar. HELP!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I just can't imagine 2016 topping 2012 or 2008. Remember Joe the Plumber? That poo poo was like two decades worth of election hilarity in one year

Yes, but keep in mind the GOP will actually choose a nominee in 2016 and what they have to choose from is the definition of :allears:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

This is the same polling strategy that had Mitt Romney convinced he was going to win.

I still think the nomination was his for the taking if he had been willing to fight for it. The donor class would have come crawling back the second Bush or Walker misspoke.

My (and presumably his) dream is him as a compromise candidate at the convention.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

While that's the closest way to a GOP victory, I don't think it's gonna happen. In my scenario, the GOP nominates someone crazy or stupid. I'm bullish for the Dems because I think Hillary (or Bill) can take a couple states that went blue in 92/96 while also retaining the 2008 Obama coalition with Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana. I think the biggest stretches of my logic are Arkansas and Kentucky, but imo this map is certainly viable.

edit this should be plus Nebraska-02

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 10, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Given the current state of the primary, how many Democratic primary debates do you think will be held and when will the first one be scheduled?

I'm guessing only two or three and we'll get one in September, and one between Thanksgiving and Iowa, with a post-Iowa debate scheduled that won't end up happening.

Most of that depends on O'Malley sticking around until Iowa.

Good god, that's a low guess. I was going to say eight for the entire primary, agreeing with starting in September.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That reminds me of LF rap battles.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rand Paul gave a speech in Austin today. He knew his audience, and the entire speech was about weed and civil forfeiture.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

They also didn't bother to give proper titles to some of the videos on the channel: "CBA DVD Take 3", "ONUG Preview no music5", "LOHPreview"

"Mike Huckabee":

Jared from Subway?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

lol fuckin ted cruz will be lucky to make it to iowa if he's announcing in march, dude gotta be broke as a joke and unless he's planning to santorum it across Iowa I don't really see him having enough cash to really stay in the mix

a good post

I think Cruz' ego will make him run a national campaign and he won't end up doing the glad-handing expected in Iowa and New Hampshire. Jumping in this early is a bad move.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Begs the question, though: Is a Reaganesque landslide even possible in today's political environment?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Texas. Also hell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

J Street, a group that basically has anti-Israeli sentiments

heh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

One of the two defining differences between Millennials and Gen-Xers is how non-white Millennials are (the other is growing up with the Internet), and that's the reason they're destined to be more left-leaning. White Millennials can do whatever they want politically, but they'll have less power than in any previous generation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speaking of, how would Branstad pulling a Harkin and winning Iowa with no chance at anything else gently caress up the GOP primary? Who would it impact the most? Obviously Huck if he runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oh of course Perry, how could I forget. He's actually running a respectable retail campaign there, and in 2012 even won some of the more rural counties.

• Locked thread