Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Southy posted:

The other thing I'm really hung up on is the jury just taking 2 hours to convict whilst there is that much reasonable doubt. I guess I'd like to see how that compares to other convictions when there is a similar level of doubt.

The case was presented to the jury with much less reasonable doubt than what Serial has built, so it's not really surprising at all that they reached a verdict so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Toaster Beef posted:

We find out there was no pay phone in the Best Buy parking lot, we find out Hae couldn't have died when the established timeline claims she died

We don't find that out at all? We learn that one individual - a regular shoplifter, no less - states that there were no phones at Best Buy and that Koenig can't confirm the fact one way or another despite a lot of research.

As for the murder timeline, I've been a bit suspicious of it since the episode where Koenig tried to duplicate it, but Adnan still has no alibi for the bulk of that afternoon, so it doesn't absolve him of the crime.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

the yeti posted:

You should be a prosecutor!

You're right, that fact has no bearing on the validity of her statements. I'm just getting frustrated that so little of the story at this point is factual, or the facts that are being presented have little or no bearing on Adnan's guilt or innocence.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Has any defender of Adnan been able to explain why, on the afternoon of Hae's disappearance, a) his cellphone pinged a tower from Leakin Park and b) it was used to call Asia, a girl who he had been dating and that Jay had never met?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

Listening to episode 10 again and SK mentions that Gutierez (sp) points out during the first trial that we don't even know the exact day Hae was murdered. I can't recall, how is time/date of death established? Was it really a question? It seems like if she was possibly killed any other day, then someone else is possibly responsible and the prosecution falls apart.

Yes, forensically it's really an open question as to her date of death. The coroner/state never established it.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

bedpan, you're a trip. If there's one thing every listener agrees on, it's that the state's case has huge holes in it and there is no way Adnan is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That is all down to SK's reporting.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

She didn't show up to pick up her cousin or whatever so unless you believe she was kidnapped and held for some time then her being killed on that day is the occam's razor solution.

I don't disagree with this, but occam's razor is not proof.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

They aren't hoping to pin the crime on a serial killer, but they use that to test the DNA. It's just an in. The point is that they can test the DNA and if it doesn't match Adnan then it means they can say he wasn't even there.

The absence of Adnan's DNA from the *samples they collected* absolutely does NOT mean that.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

They're not testing the bottles etc, it's anything that was found on Hae's body that wasn't tested previously. If they can say that none of it matches Adnan, then they suddenly have a reasonable case to say that actually, he wasn't around her at all that day.

That's not what that quote says at all.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

But there was no "evidence" is my point. You have one guys word, and that guy knows where the car is. All that proves is that Jay was somehow involved. Personally, I think Adnan probably did it, but he should not have been convicted on the paper thin case they had.

It's a legal travesty for sure and I don't think anyone is arguing that. We're just stating the fact that it's a long shot that the DNA evidence exonerates Adnan.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I get not wanting to talk to the cops and even being spooked by SK...but at this point he seems completely oblivious to how it looks refusing to talk to one reporter and then speaking to another. He could have said all of this to SK, but instead, refused. I don't feel like SK really vilified him, but now it looks like it to him because he has no voice in the story....and thats his choice and his fault.

SK didn't even have a business card with her name on it. How incredulous would you feel?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Can anyone confirm that the turn signal / windshield wiper bar was broken in Hae's car?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Geekslinger posted:

Yes, it was listed in the original crime scene report for the car. As well as a couple of the court documents.

EDIT: Note about in on page 8 of this court brief.
https://pdf.yt/d/PUUcby-AZWfEhcuW

This is a pretty crucial piece of evidence that clearly demonstrates that some extreme violence occurred in Hae's car. It's also very likely that violence was visited on her by someone so well-known to her that she would let them in her car in the first place. Did Koenig ever mention this in the podcast? I don't recall hearing it...

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Adnan does not go to jail without Jay's testimony.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

So that Reddit will pick it up and give it traffic, obviously.

The text before the interview is so heinously biased, why am I supposed to take this seriously? "Koenig didn't come up with anything new so clearly the State's case is airtight, and here's the prosecutor to tell us why."

Because you took a 10-hour podcast advocating for Adnan seriously?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

Dude killed his girlfriend. Entertaining podcast but pretty much a waste of time in the end.

This is where I'm at now. Urick is basically like, 'welp, this is a pretty straightforward case of a domestic violence murder' and he's right, no matter how much Koenig tries to tease it out.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's worth having an exhaustive investigation into a "standard" murder though, as it proves the more you pick away at the edges of the case the more complicated things get. Serial is an a excellent lesson for laypeople on how the trial system/evidence gathering works.

I agree on the first point but would argue on the second. I think Koenig has left some very important pieces of evidence out of the podcast for the sake of narrative tension, so I'm not sure how great an example it really is for laypeople.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how people are suddenly sure that he's guilty because the prosecutor said so.

I don't think this is due exclusively to the prosecutor's interview. A lot of people TAL listeners - myself included - listened to Serial from the beginning, when it was in a kind of vacuum; I don't think it really started to blow up big until around Thanksgiving. And due to having only Koenig's narrative to go on at that point, a lot of people - myself included - had doubts as to Adnan's guilt.

But Koenig isn't the only one crafting a narrative now and - with some of the facts that have recently come to light - it's not too difficult to see why some listeners have changed their mind on his guilt.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

CoffeeBooze posted:

there were posts claiming that Koening intentionally left out very important evidence. Yet, no where am I seeing what this evidence is. What am I missing here?

I didn't say that. What I said was:

quote:

But Koenig isn't the only one crafting a narrative now and - with some of the facts that have recently come to light - it's not too difficult to see why some listeners have changed their mind on his guilt.

What I meant, for example, was:

It's going to sound minor, but for me the fact that the windshield wiper controller was broken off inside of Hae's car is HUGE because 1) it indicates violence - most likely her murder - occurred to Hae inside of her car which means that b) she probably knew her murderer pretty well (to allow him into her car in the first place).

I'm not saying this convicts Adnan alone - I'm not sure any single piece of evidence does - just that it seems to be a crucial piece of physical evidence that establishes the likely place of Hae's murder - if not the time - and yet Koenig never mentions it. And I think that she doesn't mention it because - in conjunction with the multiple witnesses who state that Adnan was looking for a ride with Hae that day - it looks really, really, bad for him.

It undermines the narrative tension she tries to create between his guilt versus his innocence, and also rules out the Innocent Project's red herring of a serial killer.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I thought the rumor was that he had stolen money from the offerings at the mosque.

There is another unspecified rumor that Koenig mentions and dismisses in literally the same sentence.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is a woman who worked on Innocence Projects for like 25 years, saw her fair share of bullshitters, and not only agreed the case against Adnan was flimsy at best, but when Koenig muses "Maybe he's just this super skilled sociopath" her response was "You're not that lucky."

That quote bothered me from the get-go: Adnan is either innocent or a stone-cold psychopath and, statistically, he isn't the latter. I think it was the next episode where Koenig interviews an investigator who states that nice people commit murder all of the time, one doesn't need to be a psychopath.

I honestly think that if Koening were not advocating so hard for Adnan, she would have placed those two statements side-by-side in the same episode. As it is, almost everybody remembers the first statement without remembering the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

The former classmate of Adnan Syed’s who could hold the key to unraveling his conviction in the murder of Hae Min Lee has written a new affidavit reasserting that she was with Syed at the exact time the state argued that he killed his ex-girlfriend in 1999, and alleging that the original prosecutor in the case essentially convinced her not to participate in the appeals process.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...gn=ShareButtons

You know what, I wish I'd never listened to this stupid podcast.

• Locked thread