Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It might be a minority opinion, but Batman's schtick of a combination of preparation and plot devices helping him overcome every single superpower he ever comes up against regardless of how insane they are is kind of tiresome after a while as well. Batman works in some contexts, but I'm honestly happier to have someone with superpowers in a story like this so that the story doesn't have to spend ages explaining how he prepares for each new enemy and then kind of ruin it by having the victory depend on some unique device that he pulled out of his closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Roland Jones posted:

Also, man. I love hands dude's design; he's really super creepy.

I just want to know if one of them is Venomous Chainsaw, the dude who hurt All Might 5 years ago, because (a) that is one seriously cool name and conjures up some great imagery and (b) how nuts does he have to be to take on All Might and not only fight him solo, but rip out his stomach and gently caress him up permanently in the process?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

He can't erase a quirk thats always on, only those that can be activated, so invisible girl and frog girl are not touched by his power.

That may have made for a really weird birth for her mom and the doctors involved. It probably didn't kick in till she was a few years old even if she is permanently on if I recall from the earlier chapters, but it's still kind of funny to imagine regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the comic - Are the students in the Management and Support classes participating in the same contests as the Heroics classes, or do they get their own set of contests? If it is the former, that seems rather unfair to the Management and Support students.

They're presumably in the same contests given that the second stringer dude who dislikes the Heroics guys is in the race with them, getting several other students to carry him somehow. And it's not supposed to be fair really. It's supposed to be a chance to prove that even if they flunked the entrance qualifiers for the Heroics class for some reason that they really do have what it takes to actually compete with them despite that. Presumably not many people are able to show such qualities, but there's no point handicapping them in the contests and then promoting one to the Heroics class if it means they have to be hand held through the Heroics class because they're not on their level. It's a second chance to get in to that class through a back door, not a mandatory thing where they arbitrarily raise a certain number from those classes every year as incentive or anything from what I can tell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's cool, but it loses the lovably geeky touch of having his mom's mask thing, so no deal fanartists.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

"I will never use fire" *cut to an angry dude whose hair is fire*

He only ever used ice while fighting. His costume completely covers the fire that normally covers one side of his body. Of loving course it is daddy issues. What's next, a time travel theory?

Yea, I'm not honestly sure how you could take anything else away from it the way it's framed even without considering the fact he's never used his fire powers that we've seen. And let's be honest, this manga has never been afraid to use cliche story elements, even in it's short story run - the main character and his prime rival are both giant shonen cliches for one thing. There's nothing wrong with cliche story elements though, only with using them badly. Which the story hopefully, and by it's own short, but good track record is unlikely to do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt there's going to be a fight between All Might Deku and Toxic Chainsaw anyway, since that seems to be more All Might himself's fight than Dekus. Toxic Chainsaw didn't actually succeed in killing All Might after all so there's nothing to get revenge on. I'm assuming there'll be a round two for All Might himself if Toxic Chainsaw got away or manages to escape though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There isn't a hope in hell that All Might will go out defeated. When he goes, he's going out in a blaze of glory dragging the villains corpse through the gates of Valhalla in his teeth while playing his own theme song on a flaming guitar and riding atop about several horses as Valkyries simultaneously swoon and sing back up vocals.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 4, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TriffTshngo posted:

Why would you ever want that? Bakugou is the best BECAUSE he's an unapologetic rear end all the time.

Because if he just stays an rear end for the length of the manga it'll eventually overstay it's welcome and he'll become the new Sasuke - with the manga rewarding him for repeatedly making terrible decisions and being a gigantic rear end in a top hat while the audience (here at least) grows more and more weary of it. Having him learn to reign in his anger a bit and when to let things go, while he stays kind of an angry rear end in a top hat in general would be far more enjoyable.

Also, I'm pretty sure All Might tasked Deku with winning every stage to announce himself to the world, not just winning overall, so I can't imagine him losing because Deku's drive (and the mangas in general right now) is not just meeting, but exceeding All Might's expectations and becoming a worthy successor to him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 10, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He hasn't been rewarded for it yet, but if he's to remain relevant for the remainder of the manga (and I think we all want that right now), then it's going to have to start rewarding him eventually. What would be worse would be for the manga to continue to not reward him, while trying to push him as important to both Deku and the events of the story because he'd eventually just become a bad joke going that route. I'm aware a good middle ground would be for the best, but if Bakugou never learned while the story did start rewarding him, even occasionally it would be veering in to that Sasuke territory. Especially if Deku continues to view him as both a friend and rival.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TriffTshngo posted:

Well sure I mean obviously he should have some character growth, I just meant I don't want him to do the shonen rival thing of starting off hostile and eventually just being buds with everyone because that kind of ruins what's unique about him compared to your Sasukes and Piccolos and the like.

Sasuke was never best buds with Naruto though, at least not that I recall - though I never did finish the last 10 or 20 chapters of the manga (gave up after Kakashi got new eyes from a ghost if I recall, should finish it sometime for the sake of it). And if Bakugou is going to be anyone in Dragonball, it'll be Vegeta - eventual acceptance of his relative strength to the main character and all. He's really not all that unique a character, even just confining it to shonen stories.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Man with Hat posted:

I liked how Superman Returns handled this. Lois and her boyfriend are talking about Superman's height and weight and he says something like "How tall would you say Clark is? About 6'5"? And about 180 lbs?" and then Clark does something clumsy and waves stupidly at them and they just laugh because it's so absurd. Superman's disguise is not glasses, it's his whole personality and literally everything he does. Everyone who know him see him as the exact opposite of superman and people who don't know him probably doesn't think twice about the dude who looks somewhat familiar.

I'm personally a fan of that in conjunction with the idea that most people just don't think Superman has a secret identity. He's Superman, why would he need one? To the average person he's more of a mythic figure who flies around helping out the average joe all the time, as well as saving the world - not some schmuck working in a newspaper office.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

In my mind, I can't help but imagine Todoroki being voiced by Dante Basco. It's just too perfect.

"Why am I so bad at being good?" :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JosephWongKS posted:

Now that I think about it, Ojiro has got to be the underdog of underdogs in Yuuei Academy. His classmates and competitors in the tournament can create fire and ice; create any object out of any materials; make explosions; have a sentient shadow-bird companion; nullify gravity; shoot tape out of their elbows; emit lightning; harden their entire body; shoot lasers; spray acid; move at hyper-speed; or have the same ability as the No. 1 Hero in the world. All Ojiro has is a strong, sturdy tail.

To be fair, the majority of the time Deku has less than that - at least, for the moment. He managed to win the first event without any kind of quirk at all for instance - just a well trained body, intelligence and some guts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

That's the only reason I think Midoriya doesn't get knocked out of the tournament, but I really just can't see him making it to the end the more I look at it. He's going to HAVE to blast someone.

You don't think the main character of this shonen manga is going to win the tournament his mentor has tasked him with as a goal to win so as to announce his presence to the world as a step in following his dream and making him the public successor to said mentor? Seriously? Even if the probable match-ups for Deku don't work out so that all his rivals look set to fight him in succession that'd be a dumb assertion given the genre. As is though, the break down looks like it'll be Deku facing off against mind control jerk from another class (the only non-rival in the bunch, then Todoroki, Iida and finally Bakugou. Which is just far to clean a run through all declared rivals to not work out even if his winning wasn't an important step in making himself All Might's successor.

And while Deku has only been able to use his powers once before crippling himself before, that's not a hard limit on his powers and not only can change in the future, but has to if he's going to do anything useful. This is basically the perfect fuel to help him overcome those limits, which he's already started to do as is. He'll probably win his first match without using his powers, but will more likely use them at least once a match in all following bouts.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Deku failing has more interesting ramifications than if he wins.

I fail to see how personally. He already has, as the series points out multiple times, a good personality for a hero and is a source of inspiration for others already because of it. Failure here would only lead to him beating himself up for a while because he failed All Might, and then resolving to be a better fighter or pushing himself to gain better control of his powers afterwards, without any real change in his personality more than likely. He hasn't nearly as much to gain by losing as Todoroki or Bakugou for instance, since both of them have obvious personality deficiencies that are holding them back. Deku's growth is unlikely to be in his personality, outside of having more self-confidence.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 27, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

His mentality is "I want to be a hero who saves people like All Might and I'll do whatever it takes to be that hero". He isn't backing down when facing challenges, mental or physical and while he acknowledges that other people want to be the greatest too, he's not letting their desire, power or motivation intimidate him. He doesn't even have a problem losing in and of itself, he wants to win this to make All Might proud, not because he's afraid of losing. He's lost plenty in the past, and been okay with losing: the entrance exam and first days tests being a good example of this. He lost so he could save others in the entrance, and then realized he couldn't win everything on the first day so just tried to do his best and do well in just one event instead.

There's really no need to have him lose, and people seem to want him to lose simply because it's different, not because it'd be good while holding the manga up as some kind of paragon of unexpected elements. It really isn't. The manga has played plenty of it's elements straight. It's good not because it surprises the reader constantly (it does this plenty in minor elements, not so much the overarching beats) but because it's well executed. And while Deku will probably win this if it plays out, it'll more than likely play out well regardless of what it does. One Piece has had Luffy lose only really once in the manga so far, and it took a long time and a lot of build up to happen - yet Luffy is still one of the most enjoyable parts of an overall really enjoyable story.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Chapter is up for those looking to finally get to it. Good chapter, though not nearly as good as I was expecting given the way folks were losing their minds for a few posts. Still, Deku continues to be awesome and Kacchan continues to be a lovable prick so all's right with the world. Next chapter should be great too. Also, the fact that even Deku is calling Todoroki out for not using his powers and half-assing things when everyone else is trying so hard basically guarantees Deku is going to win this one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want to see him use his tongue as a last resort surprise attack. Or go all One Piece/Ivankov and do a "Death Wink" attack.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: ^^^ Or he could win because of Todoroki not using his powers I guess; I just got the feeling that he wasn't going to let Todoroki win without using all his powers, so it wouldn't be inconsistent if Todoroki manages to win after using all of his ability. The main reason I can't see Deku winning is that he just doesn't have much ammunition left. He's already double-spent one hand and I think he's used his other hand and/or arm as well.

I'd find it more unsatisfying if Todoroki won, because it's essentially rewarding his stubborn nature and punishing Deku's insight and determination. Sure, shonen is full of characters winning after a sudden realization, but they're normally the main character and it usually comes off badly regardless. Deku putting in all that just to lose while the guy who finally started to use his full strength won would be bad to me.

It just makes more sense to me given the set up that Deku will win because even ignoring that one of them is the main character there's really no-where further for Todoroki to go at the moment than realizing he can't reach the top half assing things where Deku has to keep plugging and training (and is) to gain control of his powers and has a much more pure desire to win, both to prove his worth to his mentor and to himself.

Also, he can get healed by the nurse between rounds as far as I'm aware and while it might tire him he could still keep trucking regardless.

Ytlaya posted:

edi2: The one reason why I wouldn't be that satisfied with Deku losing here is that he hasn't really shown off that much for the audience/"hero world." Sure, he's shown a lot of power, but he's also crippled himself in the process nearly every time and the audience isn't privy to the information that it's possible for him to exert such power without crippling himself. While I can't really see it happening, it seems like he would need to show the ability to use his All-Might-ish power without sacrificing himself in the process to really leave a big impression on the hero community.

I think his determination would leave a good impression regardless of what the cost was frankly.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You don't see how the underdog protagonist of a shonen story could possibly win in a situation where it looks like he's on his last legs? Am I reading your post correctly? I just want to make sure I am. Also, I find it hilarious that you're suggesting that exhaustion will put someone out of a tournament in fiction of any kind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

This guy kinda likes subverting cliches a bit. Also he technically wonlost the exam fight with Bakugou.

He doesn't always subvert them though and plays quite a few straight as a ruler.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

I think what helps in this regard is that it's now been established how victory for either side could potentially indicate some character growth, and be a good thing. Ie, if Todoroki uses his fire powers, embracing them and his full potential whilst still giving the middle finger to his father, then his fight with Deku has helped him change for the better. If Deku wins, well, he's overcome one of his rivals, shown off his potential, and the tournament arc continues to be part of his path to succeeding All-Might. So either way, there's a point.

See, I don't think that's true. If Todoroki wins, then what we end up with is Deku, our main character sitting on the sidelines for the next dozen or so chapters as other people take center stage in events, which you don't want to do without reason for a start. The upshot would be that Todoroki would start using his fire half, but he'll need to come to terms with having had to use it to win, which goes against his entire mindset and so will cause him some inner conflict which is better resolved outside of a fight then in one, where the majority of focus on him would be if he won. On the other hand, Deku, who is going in to this tournament with all the right qualities the manga is pushing for a hero to have as well as a good deal of training and hard work behind would lose and..what? Either he'd just go "Welp, gotta work harder", which is a fairly superficial and lovely lesson given what he's already doing or he'd angst out over his loss, which is even worse given that he's not doing anything wrong.

If Deku wins though, he's rewarded for having the right mindset and Todoroki has to question his mindset and decide to grow up, rather than be forced to in a reactionary manner where he may just berate himself for having had to and double down on his ice side in response. Him having to consciously recognize that his decision is childish is a better way to go about things, and also how the manga has already gone about it with Bakugou.

And frankly, if Deku is going to lose to anyone I'd prefer it be Bakugou, who has already lost to him once in the past, since it means that Bakugou remains more relevant but also shows some personal growth on his part. Deku losing to Todoroki would basically be the mangaka having him lose for the sake of losing and putting in an unexpected twist with no real motive behind it and is, to me at least, him losing in the absolute worst way he could lose in the tournament because he's losing to someone who doesn't deserve to win. What's more, Todoroki has no real stakes in any of the fights he'd end up in with Iida and Bakugou. There's really nothing I can see the manga gaining by having Deku lose here, where there's a lot to gain by having him continue to win, if nothing else because his attitude towards his competitors is so fun to watch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

If Deku loses then Todoroki vs. (probably) Iida would more likely be about personal growth for Iida and holy christ you guys are way too invested in this silly argument. Deku winning would be a cliche, and so would Deku losing. Either way it'll be fun so just strap in for the ride.

Iida can have that personal growth against Deku as easily as Todoroki though, which was kind of part of my point.

Also, how dare we discuss one of the more interesting and currently relevant things in this thread for discussion on the story? What else is there to discuss at the moment?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Revving up for the mountains of text as we speak.

Assuming you mean me, I've already said anything I'd want to say the last few weeks and nothing this week really changed my mind on any of it. If Todoroki wins I'll be fairly disappointed in the mangaka for going that route personally, though this week certainly makes it seem more likely just given the sheer brutality Midoriya has to use to continue fighting. The only thing I suppose I'd add is that Aikawa is basically our window in to the setting in the context of this fight, and while he does say that he can't simply let Midoriya abuse healing given it may take multiple sessions he also notes that he's getting a handle on it and that it doesn't really matter because there's something greater driving Midoriya and causing him to overcome the pain. That speech to me suggests that he believes Midoriya could keep tramping on, even if he comes out of his next healing session less than perfect.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mindblast posted:

Yeah Firedad has yet to realise what it actually means. He feels he's finally getting what he wants.

I don't know that Firedad will care. Even if Todoroki starts using his fire powers while telling his dad to eat it if Firedad cares more about seeing him use those powers than his own relationship with Todoroki or his own standing then he kind of wins regardless. And he does by the looks of things. Just because he'd win if Todoroki uses his fire power isn't really a reason to not use them though, because Todoroki can help people more and become a better person (in that he'd be getting over his own issues/past) by using them regardless of how he feels about his dad.

Twiddy posted:

You know, I was wondering about a satisfying way that Todoroki could actually lose this fight. Dude;s been shown to be way too powerful for it to be easy for Deku to just win. I really like this idea of him sacrificing this short term victory to learn to use a power he's been neglecting out of spite.

After this chapter I'm not seeing why you'd need such a reason. Yea, Deku's pretty hosed while Todoroki has just activated his full power, but Todoroki wasn't exactly holding back on the ice attacks and Deku still blew through those attacks and put the hurt on him. There's no reason he can't blow through any fire attacks Todoroki produces in much the same way he did his ice attacks, even if he's already really good with them because he's already good with his ice powers and was losing regardless. The longer the fight goes on the worse it is for Deku, but Deku has shown the intelligence, desire and power to win as is.

TriffTshngo posted:

I dunno. I'm sure things will be great either way but it just seems like kind of an early spot for an already extremely strong character to essentially get a x2 power boost.

Considering this chapter I don't really think it is. As this chapter showed Deku is starting to get a hold on just a tiny fraction of his powers, and yet he's already pushing Todoroki because he can only fight effectively using just his ice side for a short period before it begins to gently caress him up. An ice only dude could be written as extremely strong, but this chapter pointed out some weaknesses that limit him while also pushing Deku up quite a bit so that Todoroki needs to become stronger to keep up with him. Todoroki is extremely strong, but then, so are a lot of the cast, even if only in potential (gravity control, explosive sweat, make anything out of thin air) and he just needs to keep apace with them relative to the pacing - which we can use Deku's control as a metric for. Since the pace is picking up, he has to too. And presumably all those other characters will as well.

TriffTshngo posted:

He's essentially yelling at Todoroki to ignore his decade+ of abuse and emotional baggage. That's just as unreasonable as telling Midoriya to hurry up and get good at not exploding your arms every time you punch the air.

To be fair, he's more yelling at him to move past his abuse than to ignore it. You can't dwell on those kinds of problems forever without it loving up your life, and if you want to succeed you basically have to start dealing with them rather than letting them control or define you.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 19, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well now I kinda hope that UA has an end of year dance or something, seems like it could be comedy gold. Just think about anyone asking Bakugou out, or him asking anyone else out. Who would Mineta end up going with? And how many times would Yoyarozou have to turn him down? Would anyone remember to ask the invisible girl out? And would she be disappointed she can't get a picture of herself in a really pretty dress?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Do schools in Japan even do dances? I see sports festivals pop up all the time (this tournament arc, for example, is supposedly taking place during one) but I can't think of any dances or proms or anything like that.

I've never seen one in a Japanese show either that I recall, but this is alternate reality vaguely future Japan with a somewhat different society and my wishlist, so gently caress it, why not hope for it?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ytlaya posted:

Unless Todoroki fucks up while trying to use his fire power (like someone mentioned), I'm having trouble figuring out how Deku can win.

Bearing in mind that Todoroki has yet to land a single hit on Deku, that Deku has deflected or destroyed every attack that Todoroki has tried (and that ice is as powerful as fire as an elemental power) and that Deku has actually managed to land some hits on Todoroki I'm not really seeing where you're having trouble. The only difficulty Deku has is holding out long enough to win considering how damaging his fighting style at the moment is. If his attacks weren't so self destructive he'd be cake-walking this fight. And surviving ridiculous injuries is shonen 101. If he can pop fingers back in and clench broken fingers then he can probably still manage a few more flicks or punches. And he can still do kicks if nothing else.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: As a side note, I was just thinking about how Deku, once he can fully control his power, should be able to run faster than Iida. That's gotta suck for Iida.

He'll also be more durable than the steel body guys and more destructive and powerful than Bakugou without the fiery blasts that could hurt people. He'll probably be outdoing quite a few other folks even at their best.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Twiddy posted:

Wait are you honestly trying to assert that breaking every bone in your body as the fight goes on isn't a losing state? "If he wasn't actively destroying every resource available to him he'd be cake-walking this fight!"

Given that he's beating his opponent despite his best efforts, yes. Todoroki hasn't doing anything to beat Deku, Deku is the only one in the fight who has. And if Deku can hold out, he can win regardless of how powerful Todoroki is because Deku has shown that he can either evade or nullify in some way any of his elemental attacks as need be. I'm saying that there's no need to theorize Todoroki being incompetent with his powers for Deku to win, because Deku has already show how he can win. All he has to do is keep going the way he has. Whether he can or not, is another matter entirely.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I cracked and looked. I feel like a tool for writing so many words on a wrong thing now, but eh, them's the breaks. I still think this is the worst way Deku could have lost in the tournament, but maybe the translated chapter will change my mind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fabricated posted:

The whole shipping of underaged characters thing is never not creepy but at least with MHA it's done with some humorous intent.

I don't see how it's any creepier than teenagers dating, which is to say not at all, at least on a fundamental level. Many people make it creepy, but there's nothing actually inherently so about thinking two characters would make a cute couple.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say there's a couple of causes for that, all working in concert. He did say he was part of a generation where being quirkless was more normal than it is now and there's been no mention of any symbol of peace before All Might, despite the fact we know it must have been around before that point. We know he feels there must be a symbol going forward, so the fact there may not have been one prior to him could mean that he feels Deku's training is more urgent than his own was. Combine that with the fact that he's losing power so quickly and can only hold the transformation for such a short period now because of his injuries so he's probably pushing Deku harder than he himself was by his mentor - which he's justifying by telling himself that the healing quirk woman is close to hand so he can just push, push, push and it'll all work out. Which it isn't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everything Burrito posted:

I really love the posters and advertisements featuring heroes on the covers and hope later on there's more opportunity to see the seedy business side of the hero stuff, like with the girl who used the tournament to hock her inventions.

Calling it seedy seems a little unfair since, to most of the population of the manga, being a hero is literally just another job. A more vital one than many perhaps, but not the calling it is in many other stories and Deku. And they have families and bills and poo poo to take care of, and want to have nice things like anyone else. Most cops, firemen, doctors etc would do advertising if given the chance, just to help pay the bills and poo poo.

I hadn't even noticed any of the adverts before, but thought Midnight selling perfume was fun and yea, I hope we get a bit more insight in to that side of things later on in the manga, since it's not a subject most hero stories ever touch on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hopeford posted:

I really want Bakugou to win because he's my favorite character, but this just seems like a bad matchup for him. Plus I imagine they're going to give him the loss so he can have character development or something. Would rather if he got development mid-match and still won though, if nothing else because Todoroki is gonna get a bit boring if he keeps winning every time.

Bakugou's already lost once and been reprimanded by Aikawa for his arrogance and bad habits separately from that at the very least. He acknowledged it both times and appears to be developing based on those events.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Level Slide posted:

We have Deathstroke, now I'm a little afraid of what MHA-edition Deadpool is going to be like.

It's his twin brother, Killer Hero. Whose name will also cause a debate over meanings when revealed, because they're tight like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure you're meant to see Bakugou as a product of his environment, who, because of his innately powerful quirk was lauded with praise almost from birth and so became arrogant and conceited about his quirk to that point that when someone he saw as literally beneath him was suddenly being given more recognition by his peers he lashed out due to his endangered pride. Outside of Deku he's been much more restrained in confrontations with other people that I recall, and hasn't wanted to kill any of them or set out specifically to do so. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a victim or anything, but I do think you're meant to sympathize with the circumstances he grew up in and how he turned out to some degree.

While analogies can be drawn to him threatening people with guns or baseball bats, they can also be drawn to him as the natural sports talent who is suddenly having to really try for the first time in his life and is becoming a better person (if not a less abrasive one) due to the experience. Yea, he tried to murder someone - it's the logical extreme of that analogy's reaction to the realization talent will only carry him so far and others, even those he doesn't see as special can surpass him if he doesn't actually try himself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KittyEmpress posted:

Except that I'm not talking about Bakugou as we've seen him since the entrance exam. I am discussing Bakugou as we know he has been since the flashback to when they were like 5. Which is to say, bullying, beating up, turning Deku into a nervous wreck afraid of everything. Yes, nowadays Bakugou is realizing he's not the big fish anymore, he can't get together his possee and beat up anyone who looks at him funny. But that does not excuse years of mental anguish and torture that bullying causes.

No-one's asking you to forgive it, only to understand that he was that way at least partially because of the non-stop praise everyone heaped on him for his powers on top of having such violent powers in the first place. If you're born with the natural ability to blow poo poo up at a whim, you're going to use it and you're going to be defined somewhat by that experience. It's the same as the mind-control guy who was shaped by his powers and childhood to believe he could never really be a hero because everyone would view his powers in a certain way, himself included.

When Bakugou was growing up he had a posse of kids who acted as yes men, praising his every action, even his bullying and violence, acting as a reward mechanism and training him to be a violent bully who picked on the weakest and most pathetic person he could find: someone that was, to his posse, sub-superhuman because no-one was around to stand up for that kid.

People like him because he is a flawed and lovely person who is becoming better. They think he's cool because he's an absolute rear end in a top hat and makes no apologies for it, but is actually trying to become a more socially responsible person and a real hero while keeping that attitude. And also because he blows stuff up real good.

As another example, look at Teabag in Prison Break who was a child molesting rapist and murder, but was shaped to be that by his home environment and was one of the best characters on the show despite it because you could understand why he was that way, to the point that at times you wanted to see him win out over other people. Also because his actor was great, but basically, reprehensible people can be cool because of their flawed character if you understand why they're flawed and given reason to sympathize with them as well as to root for them. Which we have been with Bakugou.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 16, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blhue posted:

Haha, commenters on the mangareader site I used were angry that a fight in a Jump comic was over in one chapter and that was a bad thing apparently.

Honestly, I've found the last few fights rather underwhelming too, though it's less because of the length and more because of the content. All the last few fights that we've seen have been either extremely brief or extremely simple, mostly both. The Iida fight being especially bad I think, because it's his first real fight in the manga and Todoroki takes him out in literally seconds with a single move. And that was a semi-final. He didn't even get to do anything in the fight apart from jump forward. It seems to have been underwhelming by design though, both to emphasize the various kids weaknesses or problems and to get it out of the way as quick as possible since it's all about emphasizing those things so I suppose I can't complain too much.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Soylentbits posted:

It's a superhero homage. If All Might dies he'll come back as a villain somehow. Also Deku will lose an arm for some reason.

I'm sorry, what are you basing that on exactly? I'm trying to think of heroes that've died and come back as villains and outside of the Black Lanterns nothing is springing to mind. I'm sure it's happened on occasion, I just don't think it's nearly as often as you seem to be implying to say that Horikoshi will homage it with All Might. More often it's that death is just undone and the hero resurrected if we're talking Western comics. Superman, Batman, Spider-man and so on - they've all died, they've all come back like it never happened, which please god, won't happen here.

Besides which, it wouldn't make sense to happen. If All Might died and then came back, he'd have no powers, because Deku would have full control of One for All at that point and there's nothing to indicate the link goes two ways to say that zombie All Might would be able to wrest some/all of it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

I think they work okay in Dragonball.

One Piece had a good one too, as did Naruto I suppose. I actually like time skips though personally, since I love seeing character's grow up, change and so on. Especially so if we get to see the cast moving on and new characters introduced. It's why StrikerS is my favorite season of Nanoha. I wish more things did time skips, not less like most people seem to.

Bad Seafood posted:

I like Deku being on the smaller, scrawnier side to be honest. It really cements his status as the underdog in a universe where most people in a vacuum would probably think they were better than him.

Even after he grows up, I'm still kinda hoping he retains his size and shape relative to the rest of the cast (rather than hulking out All Might-style).

Why? He's going to be the very opposite of an underdog in a few years time and will actually be better, or at least more powerful than just about everyone. There's no point cementing a thing visually if it's not actually true.