Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, can you even imagine how the military must be like? Surely if superpowers started popping up everywhere, by random chance and virtue of population, some countries might end up with more superpowered people than others -- or rather, a higher proportion of people with strong powers than others. In that kind of situation, wouldn't the world's militaries be completely changed? There might be a superpower arms race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Incidentally, I wonder if Mineta's power came before or after his character design? He strikes me as the sort of character that the author might have doodled just for fun, and then wondered "Huh, I wonder what power this guy could have? Oh maybe it has something to do with his funny afro?!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Would it be possible to launch attacks with super-strength that don't involve hitting people with his own fragile limbs? For example, if he used a stick or a pole or something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Man, that Bakugou kid really has anger problems. He'd better get that under control or he'll have a stroke or heart attack when he's older.

I kind of want him to win the tournament but then have it all be completely meaningless and hollow. Like it doesn't really even matter who wins in the end. They're all winners in a way!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think Happosai in Ranma 1/2 was a much much worse pervert character than MidoriyaMineta.

EDIT: :doh:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 22, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Awww, All Might giving everyone a hug was so nice. If Bakugou wasn't literally a screaming lunatic of rage I bet he would've gotten a hug too.

I bet a hug from All Might is like getting a hug from Superman! :3:

I also loved it how almost everyone's family is super nice and supportive and loving. Good kids come from good families.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

In any other comic, I'd write it off as just a cute, cartoonish touch...

She used her gravity power to literally float her eye away from the socket. :gonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I thought Ashido was brown, like a beetle or an ant might be. Also dear god her costume :barf:

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's the height of fashion on her home planet!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wait till Mineta gets his mid-school year growth spurt and goes from Dinky McDweeb to "Let's serve you up a helping of fresh-squeezed KICKASS -- GRAPE JUICE is here to save the day! :kamina:"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

All of them except like grapeboy (and even he might be pretty built except for the whole midget thing) are built as all hell, even the girls, author knows his poo poo.

Yeah, it's amazingly refreshing to finally read a manga where the girls don't seem to be made out of dough and plastic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Radish posted:

I appreciate the extra chapter where they explain she's wearing a skin tight outfit and isn't just driving all the hormonal teenagers insane by walking around a high school topless without anyone saying something.

Hmm, I don't remember reading this in an extra chapter, although it might've been a line someone tossed aside in the middle of one of the chapters. It's still funny how the author clearly seems to love drawing her, though, hah!

I wonder if they've explained Midnight's power yet? We've seen her ripping part of her costume off and emitting some kind of gas, so I guess it's the ability to emit knockout gas from her skin?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wonder if Spaceman No. 13 is immune to Midnight's power thanks to his spacesuit?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Chapter is out:

http://www.readmanga.today/boku-no-hero-academia/48/1

Spoilers: Midoriya gets the idea to...apply the 5% he can control to his whole body evenly instead of trying to use it in bursts. I dunno, that seems like the first thing I'd try but whatever!

Heyyy! A cameo from Oumagadoki Zoo! Uwabami always had a neat design, and I'm glad that she's getting reused for MHA. She really fits nicely into the superhero universe!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder if that's just a mask or if he actually has a face made of guns.

If his face was actually made of guns, how does he eat?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Deku using One-For-All throughout his body like that really reminds me of Gon or Killua when they were learning to use Nen for the first time.

A good reminder, since HxH was one of the best Shonen mangas I'd ever read!

EDIT: :stare: Well then. Iida does look... quite evil in that last panel.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 3, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It would take an insane level of balls to kill off the leading lady in a shonen manga. That would absolutely never ever happen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

I know this has been commented on before, but I feel like this particular design omake cements the point: Horikoshi is actually really good with people's proportions, especially female characters (compared to most of the industry anyway). Its weird and subtle, but I think a key difference is that he seems to approach upper body structure kind of like a trapezoid - ie, if they narrow anywhere, its just under the upper torso, and the body only ever gets wider from there.

No you're right, I've noticed this too. It's not something you often see, but he just draws people looking very solid and realistic. The dude has a great foundation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's actually probably a decent tactic for her quirk, given that sex appeal would be a good way to draw villains in to get hit with sleep dust.

What if they're not heterosexual males or lesbians? What then??

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

Everyone likes a nice rack, man. Everyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

MHA is great, but I'm still waiting on the part where they get to fight crime and take down bad guys who are trying to destroy the city!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

Or is there?

The explosion is Mineta's head after contemplating such a possibility.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

so what do you think about invisible girl's design

I've never seen anything like it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Not really, everyone knows it's going to be okay. It's shounen- it's generally always okay. It's just cool that stuff actually started happening sooner than expected.

Counterpoint: Hunter X Hunter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Question: does anyone else call this series MHAcademia in their heads (the H is silent)?

Now that's just nuts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Noumu are supposed to be these dangerous killing machines, but it looks like you could just jam a finger in their exposed brain pretty easily.

Surprise! It turns out it's actually coral!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

With all these little speedball characters, I'd like to see a Fastball Special someday!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kyte posted:

I once tried to typeset a manga including sound effects. poo poo gets exponentially harder and time-consuming, it's unreal. Once you decide to do it you have to do it for all effects, most of which are over complex backgrounds and then you get a shitton more cleaning and redrawing to do and jesus christ.

I can see why most groups don't try it.

I led a scanlation group for about two years doing Yankee-kun & Megane-chan, and that's what we did! What we were going for is "professional-quality".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

The real problem is that they came up with a lovely power. You either go generic common powers and think up unique ways to use them or devise monkey paw wish specific weird rear end poo poo that you then use to wreck everything. Black ice is not only dumb, but you're just copying a dude already in the comic. This kid never sat around with their friends thinking up new comic book characters.

My power would be the same as that one crazy lady in the Grant Morrison run of Doom Patrol. She has every power you haven't thought of. So to fight her you have to constantly be thinking up more powers in order to disable her. I think she was called "The Quiz" or somesuch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Exactly. She's just the best.

And climbing buildings by melting hand and footholds into them? Awesome.

She's so 80's it hurts. It hurts so good.

How is she secreting acid through her boots?? :psyduck:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeah, kid actually does emit something toxic, not radiation. My bad. Apparently the comic is up on imgur for those interested - http://imgur.com/gallery/I71V6

Wait, if he emits some kind of invisible catalytic gas, can't they just give him a suit that keeps the gas inside? Well yes, of course there's the fact that the kid is in terrible trauma and pain from the fact of his continued existence, but that aside, I think there would be ways of not killing him.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gaijin-kun says what we're all thinking!! :911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I hope that rather than typical shonen "group of bad guys who attack Konoha village this arc", Deku and the others will begin to accumulate their own personal rogues' galleries, just like if they were the heroes of their own Western superhero comic series. Deku has Stain, of course, but Tailguy and Froggy should get their own as well!

Gosh I wonder if there's a Batman in this world? It'd be really cool to just have a regular (or should I say irregular given how most people have powers now?) Joe go toe-to-toe with all the superpowered badguys!

Also, I hope that at some point they face some superhero genre staples, like invading alien beings, or some kind of cosmic entity like Galactus! :swoon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

The entire support class is Batman. There was that inventor girl who made it to the final tournament in the sports festival with tools and planning.

Yeah, but doesn't she have some kind of quirk too? Something involving her weird crosshair pupil eyes, right?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Clarste posted:

She has super eyesight, but she only ever used it to gauge the reaction of the audience. I think it's "non-combat" enough to count though. ...Aren't you the one who noted that that Irregular Joes would count too, given the setting?

Oh, what I meant was that someone with no superpowers at all would be the irregular one. I guess a subtle superpower like Inventor girl's would count yeah. Actually, more of her and her ilk would be good. There should be a guy in some kind of Iron Man suit! What if one of them went rogue and became a supervillain? Is that how this world gets its evil mad scientists?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Proof that this comic is actually written and drawn by Mineta.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I love how psyched Mineta is!! Do your best, you pervy little dude!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think Tokoyami is really my favorite character out of all of them. He's got a great, iconic, and recognizable character design and characterwise he's down to earth and cool without being aloof. Nice going, birdboy. :911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

tsob posted:

I cannot wait to see Bakugou's reaction when he realizes that All Might caused more damage with one air-punch than he can probably cause with his biggest blasts, at least at the moment. And while handicapped at that. Or for when he goes all out and All Might no-sells every bit of it. That moment when he realizes the heights he still has to climb to reach the top basically.

I think it'd just make him angrier!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

tsob posted:

I wonder if he'll get so angry that he wraps around and reaches a zen like peace through pure anger?

So he'll turn into Saitama? I could live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Do you suppose Hagakure is gonna get covered in paint, or dust, or some other material at some point? Because that seems like a pretty obvious weakness to exploit for an invisible character that will be involved in combat against equally-or-more intelligent opponents.