Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Is that the Jojo frog on her head at the top right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Hailfire Peaks or Bakugou is gonna be the first one to warm up to Deku and be the Piccolo to his Goku?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just want ant girl to do things because she's a cool-looking ant girl

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Part of me kind of hopes that we go a while without finding out what invisible girl's deal is, and she just inexplicably keeps showing up and proceeding in this event (and succeeding at other stuff where "invisibility" wouldn't be overly useful).

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hatsume is really great, you guys. I'm just sayin'.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

tsob posted:

You don't see how the underdog protagonist of a shonen story could possibly win in a situation where it looks like he's on his last legs? Am I reading your post correctly? I just want to make sure I am. Also, I find it hilarious that you're suggesting that exhaustion will put someone out of a tournament in fiction of any kind.

Look man you read enough Ippo and you start to always expect the worst and for rival fights to never happen

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want to train at the Cardog Hero Office

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just noticed something. In chapter 46, Gran Torino called Deku Toshinori. Do you think that's significant?

The end of chapter 47 has him referring to All Might as Toshinori, so I'm guessing it's just All Might's real name.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mei is probably one of those people who makes a lot of money by gluing gears to top hats and selling them to people for ren faires.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
They don't want the story to end up with the heroes convincing Stain that his ideas are wrong because he's just mad about his tragic past, as opposed to convincing him that his ideas are wrong because they are wrong

What are you not getting about this

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Twiddy posted:

I don't think you read my posts, but what I'm not getting is the blame. The problem was never villains having tragic back stories, and Stain having a back story that feeds into his current ideologies and actions would just end up as consistent characterization. The problem (if it occurred) would come from bad writing, and I also hope this story keeps up its good writing.

The point here is not whether he has a tragic backstory or not, the point is whether Stain has an actual ideology that stems from his backstory but is still logical and debatable instead of STAIN HATES MOST SUPERHEROES BECAUSE ONE TIME A HERO KILLED HIS DOG!!! The latter is pretty common for villains in this kind of manga and would be pretty disappointing, partly because it allows the heroes to just dismiss anything he says as the ravings of a tragic crazy person. If it's the former, the heroes would have to actually address his arguments and philosophy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I remember correctly, in YuYu Hakusho Hiei was not going to appear after his initial appearance, but was insanely popular in polls so he was turned into a main character.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I probably should've voted for Kirishima or Tetsutetsu but instead I voted for Pinky. I'm sorry, I've let everyone down

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope that Tail Man or Invisible Girl or someone else who hasn't gotten to do much ends up being inexplicably really popular

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If Aiki is your argument for why all manga shouldn't have Mexicans in them you should probably also argue that all manga shouldn't have women in them

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
"This looks different from the artist's usual style" might be the weakest complaint I've ever heard about a manga

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Deku was also shown studying superheroing like crazy and taking gigantic amounts of notes on every superhero he could, and this later translates into him being able to learn from other characters more easily, like picking up on Gran Torino's hints and copying Bakugou's style

Naruto was shown learning how to turn into a hot girl to give his teacher a nosebleed, which is mostly used for gags because he's ninja-jesus

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Society is not based around reality tv shows

Society in this manga is based around superheroics

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, we see Deku developing strategies for Uraraka to use against Bakugou. The school has entire classes dedicated to superhero management and support, aka the kind of thing someone who is quirkless but extremely knowledgeable about superheroics would be very well suited for

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really don't know what to tell you if you don't appreciate the difference between fighting supercriminals (as well as insanely dangerous search & rescue situations, according to the black hole guy) and pop music

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
When will Can't Stop Twinkling undergo serious abdominal training to be able to fire his laser for minutes at a time

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

HERE'S WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR.

No, not a new chapter. POPULARITY RESULTS.

who are the ones tied for 16 and 18

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does he become dumber the way Kaminari does or does he just start to pass out? It seems like the latter considering he's talking about how he's sleepy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Clearly the best strategy was to have Sugar Man spiral throw a hardened Kirishima straight through the exit, like some kind of Super Dodge Ball.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll be real here and say I wouldn't mind Satou getting dropped/shuffled to some other class in favor of another character getting transferred to the department of heroics - which they've already confirmed is a thing that can happen.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being harsh, but eh, he's kind of the odd one out in the class.

You should wait to see if he gets to have a personality and do things before writing him off as worthless imo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want Tetsu, Kirishima, Sugar Man, and Tail Man to team up and have really straightforward fist fights with really straightforward villains

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If the Principal is allowed to bring a crane, Mina and Kaminari should've been allowed to bring someone with a brain

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Inflammatory posted:

first page, bottom left panel.

sidekick cum manager.

can someone please explain that to me?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cum#English

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ochako's just got good trigger discipline

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chapter 13, while they're on the bus to the training grounds.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd like to see Tail Man hang out with some other characters with "boring" powers like the hardeners and Sugar Man and just beat the hell out of some dudes, no gimmicks required

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It'd be pretty easy to just tell people you're a natural lie detector.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like that Ashido calls Yaoyorozu "Yaomomo."

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, that was Butterball. He showed up during Avengers: The Initiative and later made a few appearances in Avengers Academy. I liked him because he got to have a fun storyline and also because the middle of nowhere he's from is pretty close to the middle of nowhere I'm from. Part of his thing was that his invincibility basically extended all the way to being physically numb - he enters a relationship with a girl who pretty much ignites everyone she's around because she doesn't affect him, but his superpower is so thorough that he can't even get aroused.

(Also Taskmaster and Constrictor letting him beat them up were actually working as instructors and were trying to cheer him up after he got kicked out of the program but w/e)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mikl posted:

On that point: does Aizawa's power work on invisible people? His Quirk is literally "neutralise the Quirk of the person I'm looking at", so... Would it work on someone he can't see? Or does he just need to look in their general direction?

Presumably it depends on the nature of their invisibility - Aizawa's quirk only works on things that need to be "activated," more or less. For example, he can't negate Sero or Iida's quirks, since they just always have cellophane arms/engine legs, but he can stop Deku from activate AFO or Momo from making stuff. So if you were naturally invisible, he probably couldn't negate it.

Of course, what you're asking sounds like a science fact, and I'd guess he'd just need to look at where they're standing; otherwise you have to start asking questions about how Hagakure can see when light can't hit her eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
glad to get a closer look at Literally Hellboy in the newest chapter