Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think Deku getting a bunch of powers at 15, losing them all at 16 is like the recipe for a bitter old guy who looks back on his high school football victories lol

Also idunno, losing some or most of the powers would be fine, but if they get rid of the basic "can be stronger and faster" I think it just makes the whole drama of "ooooh you can't pass this on" completely moot anyway. It'd be a lot better for Deku to be the last holder of it, not being able to pass it down, rather than it just disappearing and so really who cares honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
He's gonna use OFA but it'll just explode Shiggy and he'll have just killed him anyway, but also lost OFA making him both the greatest and stupidest hero.

"Man, I should've just, like, listened to everyone. Don't I look loving dumb."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Flair posted:

Seems like the story is setting up Eri to either rewind either characters to being a child or to save someone's dying breath. Though it would be interesting if Shigaraki just ended up stealing Eri's quirk.

This would be even stupider than what we thought please let it happen.

Eri is clearly the "get out of writing jail free" card if so, so hell, we still might get healthy All Might after all jfc lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I still maintain that if Deku's pro hero career is like a year long that's stupid as hell, I don't even care if he hugs Shiggy to freedom or whatever.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Deku redeems Shiggy who turns into a widdle kid.

Bakugo then comes along and kills said kid because Bakugo isn't loving around.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can understand not wanting to drag it out.

This has not been on the table for a very, very long time lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That baby was essentially Pandora's Box. By allowing that baby to live and not murdering it immediately we caused evil, disease, famine, and kicking your toe on the corner of the table or couch into this world.

In a just world we would baby together to create some sort of time manipulation device to go back and thwart his evil baby deeds, but the best we can settle for is reverting that man back to a baby and doing it then.

God bless America Japan.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The whole thing started with the Hero School/Class A premise, and very quickly became "those three cool kids and their role models, oh and some useless kids stick around too I guess". It's both hilarious and tragic how underused everyone else has become over time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You gotta love both AfO and Shiggy doing the DBZ style "oh you thought you had me? Watch me unleash EVEN MORE POWER that I hid before for some reason!"

Like at this point might as well have Deku killed and then wished (Eri'd) back but also while he was dead he trained for twenty years or some poo poo. Just go whole hog.

Also Sugarman was always on shakey ground of "this is Class A material?" but now you gotta question why the gently caress he was never just sent home like goddamn lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
See, in world Deku nuking his own powers but becoming "the greatest hero" kind of makes sense.

But as a reader it seems kind of dumb and stupid. Like a lot of the writing decisions made. But hey, I want to see what lackluster ending we get at this point.

Also "Deku hugged the evil out if Shiggy and he's fine now" would be a *terrible* ending because what, we're just gonna go "well he said sorry, boys will be boys?" or he gets sent to prison but with his friends so it's all good? That'd be a great way to really land a lovely ending lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want all of this to be 100% it would be the absolute best/worst.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It’s the story about how Izuku Midoriya became the greatest hero.

lol yeah it's all gonna be terrible but then a handful of deus ex machinas will smooth everything over.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's pretty safe to say that Horikoshi has been winging the story for quite a while at this point. I don't think much from any original plot outline has stuck around at this point given the constant bouncing and whiplashing lol

But everyone knows Mineta is gonna save the day at the end, because ?? and it will be 100% justified cause there'll be a reference to something from 100 chapters ago :v:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The final words of this comic will be "All For One has returned, for some reason" while everyone looks shocked lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah but this time no one will expect it!

Again!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Uraraka saved Toga via an almost Bechdel test passing conversation, which is honestly pretty impressive for this comic.

Meanwhile Momo is in the hole.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I think I enjoyed everything til the end of Overhaul arc.

There's something silly about realising, "oh you know how Eri + Deku was just unfathomably powerful? If they did that right now All for One would instantly disable or revert or one up them. For some reason."

Kind of sucks the wind out of it all. Very dragonball z style "haha you fool, I actually had even more hidden power!" That is, grade school "nuhuh I have a force field to block your lasers!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Bleck posted:

People keep saying stuff like this as though it isn't a fact that Dragon Ball tended to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

Okay, call it a poor imitation then, this is a thread for complaining about MHA not defending DBZ :colbert:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

And that's part of why I find this thread's complaints have lost pretty much all weight. Even after a chapter is mostly agreed to be pretty fun, the thread keeps talking itself around until it can complain again about the same chapter, then it goes back as far as it can get away with to place MHA's failure as a manga earlier.

There's been plenty of weak stuff (Taguchi's time as editor was much worse than what we're getting now, for example), but if all of it gets the same response, then it's hard to get anything of value out of the discussion.

I'ma gonna be real honest, I enjoyed the manga and anime a lot definitely up to the end of Gentle Criminal (UA School Festival arc). That was chapter 183, in 2018. At the minimum I still largely enjoyed everything up until the end of the Paranormal Liberation War arc. The last chapter of that was 306, in 2021. After that has been a mixed bag, at best, bouncing from great and interesting, to terrible and dumb. And then the Final War arc started around beginning of 2022. And it's just been straight up pretty poo poo.

That is a long time since something great, and a long time to be reading this without thinking "this is dumb". Additionally, I don't really care to judge a story on a chapter by chapter basis, but as each arc as a whole. Having a chapter that's "pretty fun" and then whiplashing into dumb and junky chapter is actually not good. I'm not gonna go "well the arc overhaul has been braindead but that one chapter had some alright dialogue from that one guy".

In summary this started off pretty great, was solid, and has been loving dumb for almost 3 years now (almost a third of its lifetime) and there is no chance at all the ending is anything but dumber still but I sure as heck enjoy laughing at how far it's come lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I swear to god if Deku originally had decay as a quirk and it was stolen from him (for some reason) I have bingo on my "dumb MHA plot" card.

Edit: not decay I meant a big quirk in general I'm just dumb with words right now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you were paying attention you'd see that, somehow, All for One warped the spirit of heroism and messed up everyone's perception of self-sacrifice and self-destruction. It's referenced in the chapter where he goes "grr" and again when he goes "oof" and really I shouldn't have to explain it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gonna say that "it makes sense with the plot" is not a great standard for writing. "I can understand what is happening" does not a writing make good lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Deku delivers a last One for All Smash, defeating AfO and... hang on what was the loving point of everything he was trying to loving do then?

The little touch like the All Might shirt are adorable, but seriously, if Deku burns through One for All punching AfO, after all this waffling and poo poo that is gonna be so loving disappointing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm assuming the punch won't do anything on the surface, but the feelings behind it bring back Tomura or something.

Yeah I kind of figured as much, because of course it loving would. Of course Deku would punch someone and bring back their force ghost because of course.

He is really not looking like the greatest hero, just a guy that was there for random poo poo to happen around. Class 1-A doing their best is absolutely gonna have the wind sucked out because of deux ex machina poo poo, it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Either it will involve some bullshit "actually they survived, somehow" poo poo or Deku will literally just punch AfO to death with the last of OFA.

He wrote himself into a corner the moment AfO came back "somehow". I can't think of any way to resolve the whole thing that won't be a completely lame cop-out for almost everyone. You had Shiggy there as a villain already, and you hosed it up, somehow.