Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ethiser posted:

I hope this series goes long enough to delve into the fact that the main character isn't a mutant but has legit super powers.

If you use mutant gene therapy to change your DNA, are you still not a mutant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twiddy posted:

So because of the Square-Cube Law and how it relates to Spiders and Spider-Man, does Frog-Girl just have a moderate, but not significant, boost in strength and stamina? I hope the answer is yes. Or hell, just give her spidey-strength boost. Who cares.

The Square-Cube Law has never existed in comics and double especially doesn't apply to super powers. She's probably going to be powerly related to frogs on a ratio only slightly more stringent than Spider-Man is to spiders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

Am I the only one who assumed it was some sort of spandex?

No, because that's the logical conclusion until someone in the manga actually comments about her being topless. Ladies in scandalous spandex are a super hero comic staple.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

I kinda wonder if the police resent the hero poo poo.

Kinda weird that the whole hero thing didn't get folded into the police but whatever I guess.

The Heroes do seem to be official agents of the government. More of a special police agency at what appears to be a national level.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

I kinda hope Midoriya gets a decent looking transformation or simply doesn't transform at all when he starts properly controlling his power. Him becoming the weird shadow-silhouetted hulk with a chiseled face would kinda bug me.

I imagine he'll get to be a bit badass at one point during this festival but no way will he really demonstrate All-Might level power competently unless they're going to go with an angle where the other students realize exactly how powerful he is and react accordingly- like being jealous/angry/in awe of/etc him.

Hmm, I dunno, maybe they'll go with that. It'll certainly draw the eyes of the badguys too.

Isn't Midoriya unable to fully access to All For One right now? My understanding is that All Might still has most of the power but is slowly losing it to Midoriya. Midoriya is just so weak, compared to the power, that even the little bit he has is too much for him currently. The total body transformation probably only comes after you master limiting the amount of power you're using.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Adnor posted:

If they redeem him it would be the moment that shows that Midoriya can become the symbol of peace and become the new All Might.

The only move that could possibly work is a Philadelphia Slam.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

All Might was originally going to look for All For One candidates in the school so I kinda doubt it can only be used by quirkless people. And no, he never said he was quirkless.

His original quirk is being able to transform into the body of a Superhero, but the transformation only gave him the form not the power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He says "I'm used to using this quirk now" as if he had acquired it recently. Seems like he can use other people's quirks somehow. Or maybe that's reading to closely into the translation.

It seems that he's saying that he's become proficient at using it. If it's a mind control or action compulsion quirk it's likely that he only recently gained something approaching full control over it. An inability to fully control such a quirk would most likely cause you to fail the entrance exam, just as Midoriya would have if he didn't get in off altruism.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I dunno, everyone else seems pretty comfortable with their power, given that they have all had them since kindergarden.

And lots of people can't fully control their quirk. Randomly being able to hock acid loogies is pretty powerful, but if you can't do it on command it's not all that useful.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope Deku took the time to collect a bunch of mines. Also when this gets an anime they better have surf music out of nowhere right after that blast.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

I think the idea is he managed to catch up because everyone was forced to slow way down for the minefield.

Yeah, the minefield slowed down all the leaders. Plus I think he was one of the few people to avoid being frozen at the start.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The moment I read this phrase and mouthed it to myself in confusion is the exact moment I realized I ceased to be a young person

Losing touch with the slang is actually fairly far down the road to being old. I speak as an expert, having just discovered that a local radio station has retooled itself as a "throwback" format and now plays all the hits from my time in High School and College. Next stop is Tupac on easy listening followed by the retirement home.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rexides posted:

"Hi there, Horie-Kun. Did you see the sketch of you I did for the omake in vol. 1? Yes, the one with the huge knockers! You're welcome :) "

Maybe she actually has 10 Ton Titties. You ever thing of that, mister negative? I hope Japan's been working on some really high quality robotic back braces for her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zweihander01 posted:

Really enjoying the mangaka's commitment to visual gags with the invisible girl.

I'm really hoping she actually places first in the race and has been watching everyone have trouble with the land mines with amusement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are there two people with invisibility powers, or is 40 another case of removing someone's head to put in text?

Also I can't decide which I love more, Bakugou's 3 face or Midoriya's reaction to the points values.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KittyEmpress posted:

It's basically like every stupid gameshow in existence, where it doesn't matter if you won all 10 rounds before the final one, the final round is suddenly worth more than all ten previous rounds combined, to keep it 'interesting'

I'm sure they'll have a former dating show host come out and wipe away all the points before the final round.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is it even possible for him to win. With the way the points double each rank, his headband is worth twice as much as the next one which is worth twice as much as the 3rd place one, and so on. So he has to get every single other headband to match whoever gets his.

His is worth more than all the others combined. The doubling of the previous value is only true from nez t to last place through second place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Interesting. Between their quirks and gadgets, couldn't Deku's team just float above the fray and just use either grappling tech or shadow reach to grab other team's headbands? Other than of course team Anger Bomb going completely mental over getting their headband.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Countblanc posted:

Other teams have quirks too though. Sero could just launch tape ribbons at them to pull them down, Bakugou could basically have his team rocket jump after them, Tsuyu obviously has her tongue, etc. I'm sure the gravity thing will be useful, but I can't fathom it being gamebreaking, even before you calculate in the "this has to be interesting as a story and not just an accurate portrayal of how it would work" factor.

Also I liked the translator's attempts at localized names after the chapter, it was cute

Given what the team has though, they essentially have team flight. It's way harder to hit a moving target going, apparently, at jet speed. Also gravity canceling clearly works all the way into outerspace, so just hovering at a great height would work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, class B has a monologuer. And he decided to monologue at Bakugou. So much for craftily hanging back so as to be smart and take advantage of the the situation. You don't mock the bear while you poke it, man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.

The optimal solution is that Team Deku loses their headband, grabs someone else's and the Deku headband keeps changing hands before the final attempt before time results in no one being in possession of it. Team Mount Erebus ends up the only team to retain their own headband, Team Deku has the highest single headband, and Team Bakugou has the most headbands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gnome7 posted:

I don't think they've mentioned it, no. I have no idea what he's doing, the comic isn't really showing how he's stealing everyone's headbands. I have no idea how he got Mineta's, the dude is inside a living fortress with Tsuyu personally guarding him. They should've been as safe as you can get in this contest.

Seems like he got too cocky. Class B would have been better off not speechifying about how dumb Class A is, or at least wait until the end. Now instead of focusing on Deku's team they're all going to be focusing on him and the rest of the teams who retain points.

Though he does seem to be flaunting the rules, wearing headbands around his neck instead of above it. Unless he's a tiny man riding around inside a smug robot shell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xoidanor posted:

He's doing it in the lamest way possible though. He could be combining his fire and ice to conjure up storms and poo poo.

Not if his mom had an ice quirk and papa flame was an absolute prick to her/Mount Erebus blames him for her death.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dan7el posted:

The best answer would be he's a pyrophobe. Could be related to his burn scar or not. Better answer would be not.

Is it a burn scar? I thought it shrunk and increased relative to how much ice or fire quirk he was using. I'm pretty sure that when he was fighting the villain invasion it got tiny when he froze everything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that whatever he's doing isn't going to work and he won't get the headband back. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm just not feeling like it's going to happen.

edit: Maybe he'll unintentionally kill Todoroki by caving in his skull.

Either he ends up with the headband of team Endo-Ectothermic or in the struggle both headbands get destroyed. I'm betting on both headbands getting destroyed and Bakugou destroying all the others in his rage attack. With everyone at zero an alternative scoring method will have to be used. Copycat pushed the envelope way to far, Bakugou ain't the type of guy you needlessly taunt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how his quirk allowed him to steal from people without them noticing. It's certainly an extremely powerful quirk (even if you acknowledge its downsides it still allows him to put up a good fight against almost anyone, especially if he's in a team with other heroes who he can borrow from freely), but I'm not making the connection between it and people mysteriously losing their headbands without noticing.

It's probably the quirk of someone on his team, which he or they can use mostly at will. If he wasn't such a gloating rear end about it he actually would have succeeded in creating maybe the strongest team and outright winning. He seems to be the Bakugou of class B, with everyone else in his class currently wishing he hadn't decided to be so showy about showing up class A.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nuebot posted:

I'm going to have to echo sentiments that he should stay the excitable, angry jerk he is but he does need to smarten up a bit and something like placing dead last in this event thanks to copy-kid might be a shock enough to kick that off.

The whole thing with him and Deku is that having to compete with the kid he picked on since they were 4 is one constant humbling experience that he super hates but has clearly learned from. Loosing to Deku is enough for him without Copycat entering into it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I want to know how the second bearer of All Might's quirk got it from the first bearer. Was he a barber who accidentally got the first guy's hair in his mouth or something? It had to take a passing of the quirk or two before it's abilities even became noticeable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kidcoelacanth posted:

I greatly enjoyed Asui's Yaoyorozu's despair at being conned by Mineta, and also how pumped up invisible girl is all the time.

Props to Mineta for that con. Though I do have to question the sexiness of American school cheerleader uniforms. Maybe you have to not be desensitized to it?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say the designs are at least twice as diverse as in One Piece. I mean, none of these girls look like Nami, so that's a whole nother gender of diversity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dragonatrix posted:

This chapter was done by a different group. One that clearly does not give a poo poo about that.

To be fair, the apparently don't give a poo poo about putting words in the proper order either. Don't/Didn't are important words that change the meaning of a sentence, especially when taking them out clearly contradicts the actions as drawn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If One For All is literally the accumulated power of all previous hosts it could be that at least a portion of their quirk is passed along as well. At the very least One For All currently includes super strength, transformation, and some degree of super endurance. Unless transformation is simply All Might's own quirk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Genocyber posted:

Why do people think All Might's muscular form is a transformation? I've always read it as his normal body that One For All allows him to return to even after having a third of it scooped out.

That's the very definition of a transformation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dude it's been two chapters. I can't think of a single tournament arc in any manga I've ever seen that's been super interesting in just two chapters. (bar One Piece and the exploits of Lucy)

You accidentally misspelled the name there. The exploits of Moocy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

I wonder what the hell the proper translation is for what Grapes is saying.

Grapes just can't fathom any action towards a girl not based on being a creaper. I was way more surprised at "cotton on", that's some archaic localization.

Bakugou remains the only character ever in a manga to benefit from unreasonable levels of swearing insert.

Jazu posted:

He's saying he must be gay, or else he wouldn't hit shoot explosions at a girl.

Explosions that don't target clothes anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

Bakugou has trouble with names and calls basically everyone by a demeaning nickname. He referred to her by name at the end of the fight.

He's also developed at least some respect for Midoriya, since Bakugou expected something to be up because she hangs out with him.

And he's still hilariously angry about it. Yay!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeruel posted:

:ssh: its One-for-All :ssh:

Are we sure it's not All For Love?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Deku's going to pull out super human loogies to win. And find that the kickback damage to himself is minor because of reasons.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

What's the point of calling him the hero KILLER unless he KILLS HEROES? That doesn't make any sense for him to just knock out Iida's brother and start licking his knife all "Yeup I totally rekt that dude, he's gonna be feeling it when he wakes up!"

Hero Inconveniencer or Bad Guy who beats up but doesn't kill Heroes doesn't have the same ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They're only mostly dead.