Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress Ohio State?
Yes
Yeah
Yep
Mmmhm
View Results

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

"hanging with bama" has traditionally turned out very poorly for minorities

Makes sense for WVU though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

NippleFloss posted:

This thread talks about the SEC more than ESPN, and it's not even the SEC posters doing it.

I just want to see more good OOC matchups--it'd help out quite a bit in determining the relative strength of each conference.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently this goose likes to make pretend Boise State's field is a nice lake.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

I think I did too, WVU has baffled me this year, man.

What I said back then was that you can't just simply go "WVU must be good because Bama's very good." Bama's cornerbacks aren't good and the linebackers and safeties are too slow to dominate spread offenses. WVU was just a good match-up.

Looking forward, Baylor and Oregon are real loving good at the things the Bama's not-so-great at defending. I'd say they're both likely to beat Bama in the playoffs if they get matched up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Brian Kelly going for two is one of the most indefensibly stupid decisions I can remember, and it is great.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
West Virginia's offense didn't actually do that well. Bama just had really, really awful special teams.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

R.D. Mangles posted:

Brian Kelly going for two is one of the most indefensibly stupid decisions I can remember, and it is great.

Clearly you haven't seen Mike London coach this year

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

PostNouveau posted:

What I said back then was that you can't just simply go "WVU must be good because Bama's very good." Bama's cornerbacks aren't good and the linebackers and safeties are too slow to dominate spread offenses. WVU was just a good match-up.

Looking forward, Baylor and Oregon are real loving good at the things the Bama's not-so-great at defending. I'd say they're both likely to beat Bama in the playoffs if they get matched up.

Baylor's offense is way different than Oregon's, Oregon just happens to have a good QB playing in their run-first offense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^^Fair enough. I haven't actually seen much Oregon this year; I just know them as a super prolific spread offense.

Raku posted:

West Virginia's offense didn't actually do that well. Bama just had really, really awful special teams.

I'm not saying Bama sucks against spread teams, there's just a relative weakness that spread teams can exploit. Clint Trickett threw for 365 against them (his 3rd-highest total all year), which isn't blowing the door off, but it's good enough to give his team a chance. I don't think Baylor or Oregon would hang 60 on Bama, but they can easily score enough to win.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 21, 2014

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, in this case, having another SEC conference game would solve the problem. Throw out one of Mizzou's cupcake wins like South Dakota St. and make them play an additional SEC game. The possible opponents for that game are:

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi St.
Ole Miss.

So now you're looking at a Mizzou team that has 3 losses, no good wins, a loss to Indiana, and in all likelihood a total butt-loving from one of those

Add two more teams from the east coast (states like North Carolina and maybe Virginia). Move Mizzou to the west. Everyone is happy bc why is Alabama west but Missouri east

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Clearly you haven't seen Mike London coach this year

No. It was really loving stupid. That game was straight up Weis-like.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just want to see more good OOC matchups--it'd help out quite a bit in determining the relative strength of each conference.

I do too, but more in conference games doesn't fix that. Probably makes it less likely, since as long as the rules allow it and there's no ranking penalty teams are just going to schedule easier OOC match ups like Baylor and MSU did this year.

PostNouveau posted:

Well, Bama is also good at the things that those teams traditionally have problems with, namely slow, ball control offense behind a big, strong offensive line. Bama is also much improved since the first game. Saban generally gets big problems fixed by this point in the season.

I'd probably favor Bama because evil usually wins, but I hope we get to see one or the other of those match ups this year. TCU is probably a worse matchup for Bama than either of those teams though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, in this case, having another SEC conference game would solve the problem. Throw out one of Mizzou's cupcake wins like South Dakota St. and make them play an additional SEC game. The possible opponents for that game are:

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi St.
Ole Miss.

So now you're looking at a Mizzou team that has 3 losses, no good wins, a loss to Indiana, and in all likelihood a total butt-loving from one of those teams.

Since we're doing some petty score settling, after W.Va. hung around with Bama in Week 1 and ESPN was like "WVU is clearly now the front-runner in the Big 12," I said WVU wasn't even gonna sniff the Big 12 championship and Andichu called me a dumbass for it. :colbert:

We are probably a blown coverage at the end of the tcu game from being 9-2 right now, tbqf, so I wouldn't say you were all that prescient.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

Well, Bama is also good at the things that those teams traditionally have problems with, namely slow, ball control offense behind a big, strong offensive line. Bama is also much improved since the first game. Saban generally gets big problems fixed by this point in the season.

I'd probably favor Bama because evil usually wins, but I hope we get to see one or the other of those match ups this year. TCU is probably a worse matchup for Bama than either of those teams though.

Can't speak for Oregon, but if Bama wants to try and grind it out on the ground all day with Baylor I'll take that matchup every time. Nobody's run on Baylor with any consistency - our D-line has been fantastic and our linebackers have been quite good in run support. Just look at how Baylor handled Perine and company in Norman as opposed to how they handled Trickett To White in Morgantown. Bama beats Baylor by getting big plays to Cooper, not by running it down their throat.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Baylor's offense is way different than Oregon's, Oregon just happens to have a good QB playing in their run-first offense.

Not disagreeing that Oregon's offense is way different from Baylor's, but Baylor is a run-first team too. :v:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can't speak for Oregon, but if Bama wants to try and grind it out on the ground all day with Baylor I'll take that matchup every time. Nobody's run on Baylor with any consistency - our D-line has been fantastic and our linebackers have been quite good in run support. Just look at how Baylor handled Perine and company in Norman as opposed to how they handled Trickett To White in Morgantown. Bama beats Baylor by getting big plays to Cooper, not by running it down their throat.

Baylor will get blasted by Bama because Nick Saban isn't a moron and will just lock your WR's down like we did, only he also has an actual pass rush.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Baylor will get blasted by Bama because Nick Saban isn't a moron and will just lock your WR's down like we did, only he also has an actual pass rush.

Maybe. I don't know if it's as big an Achilles heel as it's been portrayed to be. OU rightly got poo poo for giving us huge cushions for most of that game, but there were multiple times when they tried to play press and then Corey Coleman just embarrasses his DB for 30+ yards, and I know TCU hit us with some press coverage and we hung 61 points and 700 yards on 'em. Bama's secondary isn't that good, whereas WVU's secondary is deceptively good. Daryl Worley's a plus guy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe. I don't know if it's as big an Achilles heel as it's been portrayed to be. OU rightly got poo poo for giving us huge cushions for most of that game, but there were multiple times when they tried to play press and then Corey Coleman just embarrasses his DB for 30+ yards, and I know TCU hit us with some press coverage and we hung 61 points and 700 yards on 'em. Bama's secondary isn't that good, whereas WVU's secondary is deceptively good. Daryl Worley's a plus guy.

Let me put it this way, the formula to beat the spread is actually pretty simple, and I've seen it a lot. Particularly the run-first version of it. WVU lost to Pittsburgh 13-9 (and struggled mightily with USF every time) because they used that same exact gameplan. Lock the WR's down with tight man to man and just blitz the hell out of them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me put it this way, the formula to beat the spread is actually pretty simple, and I've seen it a lot. Particularly the run-first version of it. WVU lost to Pittsburgh 13-9 (and struggled mightily with USF every time) because they used that same exact gameplan. Lock the WR's down with tight man to man and just blitz the hell out of them.

Still need DBs that are good enough to play press and not just have their man run right by them. How did Bama try to stop you guys?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We are probably a blown coverage at the end of the tcu game from being 9-2 right now, tbqf, so I wouldn't say you were all that prescient.

How does getting that win get you two more?

poo poo, is Texas a coin-flip flub away from 9-2 as well?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Still need DBs that are good enough to play press and not just have their man run right by them. How did Bama try to stop you guys?

They didn't try that, but their defense has gotten 100x better than it was in week 1.

Like I just cannot see Baylor beating Bama -- and I don't, to be frank, see Baylor making the playoff. I will be pretty shocked if it doesn't end up how it is today.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They didn't try that, but their defense has gotten 100x better than it was in week 1.

Like I just cannot see Baylor beating Bama -- and I don't, to be frank, see Baylor making the playoff. I will be pretty shocked if it doesn't end up how it is today.

Welp, I'd better just pack it in then. Fun while it lasted. :v:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

How does getting that win get you two more?

poo poo, is Texas a coin-flip flub away from 9-2 as well?

The TCU loss basically assured us this tail spin. If we win that game, we don't come out like we did in the first half versus Texas, and I think we probably don't look so on tilt today.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Welp, I'd better just pack it in then. Fun while it lasted. :v:

Well, there's always a chance. But just, I don't think Ole Miss beats Miss State. Bama looks really good and I don't think the SEC East can mount any real serious threat there; FSU is gonna cake walk to 13-0. Oregon could stumble, because Oregon.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think Baylor has a shot but it's because I don't think any of these contending teams have good defenses, Bama is the closest but I don't think their pass rush or secondary is elite, at least not on the level of FSU last year of the Bama and LSU defensive teams that have been dominant in the past.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I still think the committee might just flip over the game board after conference championship week and start all over. Miss. St. being ahead of Baylor right now doesn't necessarily box out Baylor (or OSU) later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, there's always a chance. But just, I don't think Ole Miss beats Miss State. Bama looks really good and I don't think the SEC East can mount any real serious threat there; FSU is gonna cake walk to 13-0. Oregon could stumble, because Oregon.

You are just no fun at all. Sure, it's unlikely, but weirder poo poo's happened. We were 5 points away from TCU losing to motherfucking Kansas a week ago.

Not that I'm banking on the Playoff at this point or anything - particularly with the committee being arbitrary and making it up as they go and poo poo. But whatever. Fun season, new stadium, ripped TCU's heart out, probably going to get back-to-back Big 12 titles after years of garbage. It'd take a pretty major meltdown for me to get too down on this season.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think Baylor has a shot but it's because I don't think any of these contending teams have good defenses, Bama is the closest but I don't think their pass rush or secondary is elite, at least not on the level of FSU last year of the Bama and LSU defensive teams that have been dominant in the past.

If WVU's pass rush can get to Bryce Petty, literally anyone can if they try. Most people just don't -- see OU. They try to play safe an keep everything infront of them and then Petty just makes short underneath passes and picks them apart, spreads them out, and then they gash you up the middle for a big run.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bama's corners don't have to lock down receivers by themselves because the line can contain shut down any run-game so the linebackers can drop back to help. I don't think we've actually tried blitzing anyone on a consistent basis this year but even if it's just an extra guy every play it would probably be pretty goddamned nasty.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raku posted:

Bama's corners don't have to lock down receivers by themselves because the line can contain shut down any run-game so the linebackers can drop back to help. I don't think we've actually tried blitzing anyone on a consistent basis this year but even if it's just an extra guy every play it would probably be pretty goddamned nasty.

Yeah, like, I think you can beat them if you're dynamic like JFF was and force them to play on their heals, I just haven't seen that from Bryce Petty this year like I did from him in the past. I would like to see TCU play them though.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Connor Halliday was on a local radio show today. the hosts are pretty grating but it's still interesting since he hasn't really had many media appearances

http://www.wsucougars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=819810&SPID=126830&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30400&ATCLID=209775510

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sounds like a good way to get bubbled to death or gashed by outside runs.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 21, 2014

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

You'll have your wish in 2016 with the SEC. Well, match ups with power 5 teams, doesn't necessarily mean they'll be good teams.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Honk honk

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's been a hell of a long time since a MAC game was flat-out cancelled. Guess they figured there wasn't much point since Kent's not eligible for a bowl and Buffalo probably wouldn't have gotten an exemption if they won out.

E: sucks for buffalo's seniors though

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're slowly turning into an Iowa State fan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Canada Geese are utter assholes so I could see one doing it for fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

You're slowly turning into an Iowa State fan.

He didn't say anything about the refs though

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

He didn't say Penn State fan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Emron posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of us thought that Texas was going to dunk on WVU like that.

I sure as gently caress didn't but since that game I've thought more highly of Strong each week.

Thoguh posted:

Gonna take this opportunity to go into a thread from about a month ago when you got real mad that I said you'd end up with 4 or 5 losses and end the season unranked.

I remember reading these and thinking 'lol watch WVU collapse or something'

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sounds like a good way to get bubbled to death or gashed by outside runs.

It's hard to bubble screen down or gash run out like that because you can bring your safeties up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

This is only their third season in the Big XII. Give it a few more years.

• Locked thread