Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Remind me Kyrie, do you believe in literal demons and witchcraft, or am I confusing you with another zealot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ThirdPartyView posted:

Wasn't Darkwater like that? Maybe Victor too?

They both did, but I forget whether Kyrie was of the same ilk or not.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, you're thinking of the song "Plastic Jesus."

"Leper Messiah." :colbert:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

You've never seen hell. You've never seen heaven, either.

But they'll you black is really white, the moon is just the sun at a night!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes, and magic is real.

Ah, good. Thanks for answering me. Now, what specifically led you to believe that magic exists, as well as literal demonic possession and witchcraft as a something other than the empty practices of flaky Wicca types?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

spoon0042 posted:

great now I'm getting flashbacks to Victor and his genocide apologism

on the other hand he hasn't posted since (at least not in D&D about religion) so maybe that was finally the thing that triggered a crisis of faith for him

He just got banned. I've heard he'd since claimed to have come around, but also that we supposedly never really understood what he was saying, so I tend to doubt it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Average Bear posted:

Did the thread realize they were getting insanely obviously trolled yet? Holy gently caress D&D pull it together.

If so, it's a very slow burn since he's being doing this for over a year now. I suspect he's being mostly genuine, or at least not consciously trolling us.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/Oh goodie, I was so hoping you'd show up! :allears:

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

.....what? This warrants further explanation.

Oh dear, you must have somehow missed all the previous threads in which Brandor expounds on his feverish theology. In short he has argued and, presumably, still argues that belief in anything at all eventually comes around back to belief in God because logoslogoslogosLOGOLOGOLOG-*collapses to the floor, frothing at the mouth and convulsing violently*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

spoon0042 posted:

pretty sure that was originally written about victor so I'm not sure what your point is

It was, and the original author was hurrrr2.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

Atheists seem to love arguing against the ideas of Schleiermacher (and to ignore that Barth happened), so let go with that. "Absolute dependance upon" ie. religious feeling
Can you with a straight face tell me that "IN REASON WE TRUST" is not an expression of religious feeling?

I can say with a perfectly straight face it's much more likely just a ham-handed attempt to subvert the "in God we trust" aphorism that just about every American is aware of (from our currency if nowhere else), rather than any substantive statement of deeply-held belief in the manner you claim. But then, you always do seem to have trouble disconnecting belief in anything at all from genuine religious sentiment.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Holy poo poo, a Christianity thread in D&D. This is like the good old days again! So I just skipped to right here - what did I miss?

Not much, the OP's a lightweight, though entertaining at times.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't think you "get" heaven.

And heeeeeree weeeee go.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeitgueist posted:

Do you know what that's worth?

They say in heaven, love comes first.

If it seems to be real, it's illusion. For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life. Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

This is where I'm not being fair. An alternative is always being offered. The FFRF ads I'm posting, the offered alternative is transparent in those ads. It's easy to see. It's not as easy to see in the posters in this thread. But it's there, because it's always there. Because "it's it's necessary to appeal to something if you're trying to convince someone else. There is always an object of faith, there is always something being presented as you should trust in this as opposed to trusting in that.

It's not always there, you just always see it regardless of whether or not its present because of your own worldview which dictates it must be there.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

What a horribly sad belief you have. It really explains a lot about you. But you should know that it's not true; you do deserve life, you do deserve to be happy, and you don't need to be ashamed of who you are.

If I remember right from the last thread, Kyrie's gay/attracted to other men (however you choose to define it) but consider that it's wrong to follow through on such attraction and thus believe God requires him to live a life of separation and abstinence.

I swear I'm not making this up (and I apologize if I'm mistaking someone else for you, Kyrie) and just trying to recall whether it was him that said that, or someone else. If my memory does serve, I think it helps illustrated why he believes such things about not deserving life/happiness on their own terms

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 27, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Miltank posted:

That you think Brandor sounds moderate shows that you have no idea what you're talking about

Unlike Kyrie, Brandor is at least willing to acknowledge that infinite torture for finite offenses is obscene, particularly when the best analogies Kyrie can come up with to justify it are child abuse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

The reason I believe is that it is beneficial for me. It makes me happier, healthier, more successful, more stable, more satisfied. I intentionally reinforce my beliefs, and through studying theology my doubts about religion aren't based on logical contradictions or whatever; instead, I am tempted to abandon all moral obligations and live a more sociopathic lifestyle (like everyone else)

I suspect you don't know what the word "sociopath" really means. Among many, many other things, of course.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Miltank posted:

Earth is not a testing ground. Evil is "permitted" by God because it has already been resolved.

I'll admit to being surprised; of all the threads I never expected to see a version of the bitcoiner defense*, this ranked about dead last.

*"It's in the wiki, therefore it's already solved!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Black Bones posted:

:qq: Anything less than literalism is cherry-picking

Well yeah but seriously, it comes off a bit strained that the methods used to determine which passages are literal versus which are metaphoric/historical post hoc justifications/whatever always seem to line up suspiciously with the contemporary social mores of whomever you're talking to. "This thing which is repellant by modern standards? Just a parable and/or how bronze age Israelites justified their war crimes. But this thing over here, which more or less is still considered acceptable these days? Totally the divine commandment of God."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 1, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Hmm, yes, that is the only concession I wanted to hear. According to a certain idealist vision of Christianity which I think is the only one permissible, simply entering on this path of knowledge / enlightenment should be enough to open one to the Christian faith, should their will to engage their spirituality be strong enough. Despite the many crimes of its earthly representatives in converting non-believers, the sacred doctrine of the Church is quite confident in the rational persuasive power of Christianity, and shouldn't see other philosophies and religions as strong opponents. Now, obviously most people aren't moved to seek God's grace on their own, perhaps because their will to seek enlightenment isn't strong enough, but that's a different problem, including whether or not it is the duty of Christians to care about how many individuals are lost to the Church.

In short, if I speak from an academic point of view, Christians should argue that earnestly realizing a need to understand the universe (and the human being) is a sufficient movement in one's soul to find love of God, because from that point onwards through argumentation all rational beings can be persuaded about the superiority of the Christian faith over any other system of thought.

"If you're bright and honest, then of course you'd be drawn to Christianity instead of one of those other loser religions/philosophies, heh."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

No, failure to persuade probably points towards the failing of the student of Christianity in developing his philosophy since a perfectly developed Christian doctrine should be perfectly communicable. After all, that is exactly what opponents of the Bible itt have been saying all along.

Would you say that Christianity can't fail, it can only be failed?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

Those who do not experience the deity have had their hearts hardened by Him, and should pray that he reveal Himself to them.

How can those who's hearts have been hardened by God overcome such hardening to pray for divine revelation? Is his work so paltry and weak a thing that mortal man can overcome it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I have to say, the similarities to the libertarian thread is actually quite startling to me.

It's no accident that Brandor has been as active as he has in that thread.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

No, the connection is that you both make smug statements that you are correct, and that you can only be proven incorrect after reading this mountain of 'evidence' that will Kyrie on the other hand is the Shiranaihito of this thread, a raving lunatic who comes in and screams about how everyone who disagrees with him is a troll, idiot or in this case, going to hell.

And both of them regularly misuse the term "sociopath," as well. Come to think of it, I haven't ever seen Kyrie and Shiranaihito in the same place at the same time...:tinfoil:

Kyrie eleison posted:

I did not write that God is morally obligated to punish you, rather I said that whatever God does is inherently good.

It's not that Nixon was wrong, per se, rather he just had his sights set too low.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

We're not a hive mind, you know. We have different opinions. Not all Christians believe in hell or that Jesus was real or that the Bible was true. Stop associating me with all the people on Paul of Tarsus' blog. You don't have any proof Paul wrote those racist emails. Besides I disagree with Paul on many key points. In any case here's an article I think you may find interesting. pauloftarsus.org/women-should-be-silent-in-church/

Google John of Patmos end the world.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

There's three types of people involved in this conversation.

The first is the atheist. Pretty simple, they think all of the nonsensical fantasy mumbo-jumbo is ridiculous.

The second is the 'spiritual' person, maybe identifying as a Christian, or maybe agnostic, or maybe something else, who holds a very unique personal view.

And the third is the strict adherent to 100% correct Catholic doctrine.

Of the third type, is there any you recognize other than yourself, prideful man?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

My math classes went as high a differential equations 2 and I was a nuke minor.

Look, I'm as sorry as anyone that the original Robocop franchise flopped but that's no reason to devote that much of your life to it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Christ dude, it was just a dumb joke about the designer drug in Robocop II being called "Nuke," which another police robot ends up accidentally addicted to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

Totally missed that. I really should watch them.

You should. The two Robocop movies, that is. Because that's totally how many there are, no matter what you may have heard. Anyone claiming more than that exist are lying or on drugs or something.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Snark posted:

It isn't actually universal. In fact, this may be a bit worse than other areas.

It's my experience that OPs usually set the tone by which the thread is inevitably conducted. Given Kyrie's long and storied history of calling everyone that isn't a doctrinaire Catholic a heretic (or worse), and any behavior he disapproves of at all as sociopathy, a bit of rudeness here and there is hardly surprising.

EDIT: Also, come on. Sedan Chair is just doing his thang, man.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

I agree, it is pretty clear cut. Religious people are capable of having a civil conversation about religious teachings, and atheists are not.

:qq: Why won't you rude atheist meanies just agree I'm right about everything and you're all doomed to hellfire? :qq:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's simple: A user makes an awful post, and I click their profile and put them on ignore. It doesn't require much more thought than that.

That fits, since the totality of your posts in this thread demonstrate that for all their wordiness, you rarely if even do anything that requires much thought. You small-minded coward.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

And what would you attribute the cause of the shift being?

I dunno, ace; might be that point where you snidely declared that anyone who didn't agree with you was irrevocably hellbound and you wouldn't even bother talking to any of us anymore. Could've had something to do with it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes. I know they do. I wasn't addressing them. I was addressing those who pretend to have no contempt. And I don't care. And I will ignore them if they are unreasonable, as they deserve. Just like I'm going to do to you.

There is nothing wrong with saying I am putting people on ignore, so that people might know their punishment, and others might avoid it.

Hahahaha, punishment? Look at the stones on you, son. I swear, if your sneering sense of self-righteousness got any denser it'd threaten to collapse into a new Kirk Cameron movie.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Man, its almost as if you want us to accept your arguments at face value rather than debating and discussing them....

...much like your other threads prior.

How dare you post, when he has you on ignore as a punishment! Don't you feel punished, and in such shame that you can only vow to mend your wicked ways?!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

Truly, the only way to comprehend the full magnitude of life's value is to recognize the holy implications of offering it up to Khorne in sacrifice. Each life is unique, it exists only for a short time. Once gone, it is gone forever, and so it must be culled in its fullness and offered up to the Blood God. Even after, when it has wasted and withered, better that inevitable death satiate the Destroyer than allow the infinitesimal ingresses of disease or time to sully His claim. Better not to allow the glory of expanding His domain slip through your fragile fingers.

OK I've allowed the only serious theological element of this whole thread to slide this far but really? We all know the Blood God does not care who's blood flows, so long as it flows. His followers make literally no difference to him than anyone else, so long as all die violently. Better to worship a half-dead man stuffed in a golden chair, I say. That way, at least you get some infinitesimal benefit out it, other than freakish mutations of course.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

But such is the great glory of Khorne: merely by existing, you fulfill His plan. The golden man requires worship, the whore-pretender requires festivals of debauchery. The Great Tormentor requires only that which is freely given by all living things, that which their own blood compels of them. He requires nothing. But what do you require?

This is what you must ask yourself: would you rather drown trying futilely to swim upstream, beseeching the unfeeling and helpless sun for guidance? Or would you rather give in, surrender yourself to the river, and, in doing so, weld yourself (however minutely!) to the path, plan, and destiny of that which you cannot stop?

Hahaha, tell me more about destiny and how your idiot retard gods' plans came to their ultimate fruition when that retard warmaster you corrupted totally won and triumphed over his enemies oh wait that's right, Horus flopped like the utter chump he was and the rest of you drooling, mutated feebs ran your sorry asses back to the Eye of Terror, screaming all the way. I'd almost feel bad for you, if your future wasn't slated for squirming in the cleansing power of the Emperor's holy atomic fire.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Tracer posted:

Khorne thirsts for "cleansing," and you follow passionately in his footsteps. Welcome to the fold, Brother.

Nah, not really.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Whole lotta heretical servants of the dark powers in this thread gonna be wicked let down when, instead of glory or immortality, they instead end up a gibbering pile of mutated limbs and mouths.

We totally should have done this from the start of the thread.
Thought for the Day: Kyrie's mind is like a mighty fortress with the gates unbarred, only less a fortress and more a dilapidated mobile home with a busted screen door.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 6, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Gentlemen, gentlemen; while all heretics must of course be purged there is nevertheless some common ground here. I think there's one point that we all, whether 100% correct followers of the Emperor like myself or diseased idiot worshipers of the tainted powers, can agree on: Skulls are bitchin'.

Thought for the day: Ask not, "why purge the Xeno," rather ask, "why not?"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

There is only one thing that matters and it is Sonic the Hedgehog

Incorrect. There are very few, if any, skulls in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Still not seeing nearly enough skulls to satisfy either a follower of the Emperor, or of the tainted ones. Seriously son, I'm talkin' skulls all over the drat place. Like, this right here?

This is a sufficient amount of skulls to have. Now, having said that, watch some Khorne-freak bust out daddy's special chair and act like it's all superior just because it has more skulls.

• Locked thread