Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

Who else is taking off work and playing all day Friday???? Add me: NNID = jski185

Requested off both the 3DS release Friday and the Wii U one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So what has everyone been nicknaming their amiibo? I've got Killager, Keeby (yellow Kirby), Durk (dark Link), and Fitoo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Are any Amiibos rare? I have access to them all right now

I've heard Villager and Marth are the "rare" ones, but I have also heard that as long as you don't mind driving to a couple different stores, it's stupid easy to get access to the entire set.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't peeked to see if the roster is different between the Wii U and 3DS. A challenger approached and the shadow looked just like Dunban to me. And I blurted out, "Holy gently caress Dunban!?" and scared my cats.

I was just Lucina.

:(

One of the main design decisions for Smash 4 was roster parity between the two versions. That's why Ice Climbers got cut; they were working on Wii U but were chugging on the 3DS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleopolis posted:

Is there ANY way to have the "tap Up to jump" option be turned off by default? It pisses me off when I forget to in Classic mode and I'm stuck with it at intensity 9.0 :mad:

Go to Controls and set up a profile with tap-jump off for all control schemes. Everything gets saved to your name, much like in Brawl.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Goons, direct some friend requests to NNID jivjov. I'm gonna spectate a match of two, and then lets Smash!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've decided that I'm only gonna teach my Fox amiibo on Final Destination/Omega mode with items off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Any tips for getting a max combo of 30 or more in Training?

My old trick of hitting people repeatedly with a charging Lucario shot on a sloped surface doesn't seem to work as well here as it did on the 3DS version.

Play as Ness, set damage to 999, grab and pummel. Congrats, you can now hit a 250-300 combo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think my one major complaint about Smash 4 is how many of the modes cost coins. Master Orders? Charge per ticket. Crazy Orders? Need a pass or 5k just to enter. Classic? If you're broke I hope you like playing on pisseasy baby mode. Trophy Rush? Need stacks of coins to get more than 30 seconds.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Multi-man, Smash tour, and Classic are all pretty cool. I'm grateful for their inclusion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

matrix ripoff posted:

You can't use custom controls in Event Mode. Wonderful.

Yes you can.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

Is there a way to default a controller or player to an established name? I'm getting tired of seeing Player 1 with poo poo controls 1 minute into a ticket battle.

You can set up a name from the controls menu and select it from the character select screen or starting screen of any mode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

How do I turn off the rumbling?

Home button, controller settings for Gamepad

If you're using a GameCube adapter, unplug the grey cable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Peewi posted:

Can also disable rumble in the controls settings menu in the game.

You can? That I did not know!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Color Printer posted:

I want to get good at Greninja. Can anyone help me with advice on getting good with Greninja.

(i don't actually have the wiiu version yet but i assume any advice would also help for 3ds)

Down aerial all day every day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SL the Pyro posted:

Uhhh... guys...?
http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-reportedly-discontinues-marth-wii-fit-trainer-villager-amiibo-284688.phtml -> Nintendo reportedly discontinues Marth, Wii Fit Trainer & Villager amiibo

It seems really odd that they'd discontinue amiibo this early in their lifespan. I mean, yeah, I don't think anyone is expecting more niche characters to hang around forever, but its been what, 2 weeks?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone know how retailers will handle waves? When wave 2 hits, is wave 1 going away?

Highly doubtful. They'll still have old stock to sell through.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

F. Lobot posted:

Nintendo is finally releasing a Smash Bros Wii U bundle... in Spain.

No Amiibos, no Gamecube anything, 8GB. What a steal!

Well...the box calls it a "Basic" set...maybe there's another SKU for a deluxe version?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wii U Classic Mode is not as good as 3DS Classic Mode since just about every fight except the last two are based on either free-for-all or team battles. I'm also more in favor of 3DS's less bullshit challenges, Smash Run, and personalized experience in comparison to Wii U's Events and Crazy Orders.

I get where you're coming from on most of this...but what "personalized experience" does the Wii U version lack that the 3DS version has?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

It doesn't remember your nametag or color options, for one.

Yeah, because the Wii U is a home console with multiple potential players, whereas generally speaking only one person is going to be using a 3DS. I'd be annoyed if every time I booted Smash on Wii U I'd have to go in and clear out my housemate's selections and the like.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kly posted:

I know you defend every stupid thing nintendo does, but come on. Its dumb as gently caress that you need to pick your name every time you go from one single player mode to another. You already have to clear out the DEFAULT selections every drat time, itd be nice if it remembered you during the same play session at least.

Eh, that I can see. Remembering during a play-session would be a handy feature. Now that Nintendo has learned how to patch games, maybe we'll get that in a future update.

EDIT: Also, what's with the implication that it's somehow wrong to be okay with Nintendo's design decisions?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 9, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, it helps keep records such as Home-Run Contest records as my own records whereas the Wii U records will likely be overwritten by other persons better at them than I.

Here's something I really wish was implemented...tie records and high scores to names, or at least have a notation showing what profile name set a high score. I don't mind having my top scores beat out by a friend or whatever, but it'd be really nice to see who set a record.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

F. Lobot posted:

When are we getting that Miiverse stage?

The only thing we've heard about it so far is "post launch", same as tourney support.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Apple Jax posted:

It would be one thing if Nintendo World was something to brag about, but the store is incredibly disappointing. Besides some demo games (the same you'd find in a GameStop), merch and the extremely small "museum" there's nothing else. It's only good if you're in the area and need a store that sells games. Which is fine, but you'd think a place named Nintendo World would be a little more exciting!

ANYWAY, I have a Smash question: when you spectate, can the people playing see who you've bet on? Also, one time when spectating, I bet on one game and then two games later bet on the very same exact game I bet on before. I was under the impression the spectating games are live, no?

Spectating is not live, it just downloads a replay and runs it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I just realized the portraits on the character select screen match the trophy/amiibo poses :doh:

Yeah, making it really really obvious that the amiibo decision came well after the art assets were finalized. If the plan all along was to have parity between in-game art and amiibo poses, there's no way the art poses would require so many piss pillars plastic supports to be little desk toys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chakram posted:

It helps that all the official character renders look really, really nice. Like with Brawl, they're pretty much the best depictions around for each character and are kind of meant to be used over and over. Expect to see Mario's SSB4 art used in news articles, store promos, and banner ads until his Smash 5 artwork exists.

Mario's is a bad example. Why the hell does he have that weird fireball?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

g0lbez posted:

this might be shocking but Mario has been known to throw fireballs

Yeah, but why is his art the only one to have anything like that? If there was a blast coming out of Samus' cannon, and a falcon kick effect around C. Falcon's foot, it would fit in....as it is, its stands out poorly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

g0lbez posted:

One of his few defining characteristics is that he throws fireballs, he's done that for thirty years. I can see where you're coming from but I think they were trying to make a separation from other Mario toy/figures to make this one specific to smash bros and the only way to do that is to put him in a "fight" stance. It was either that or have him wield a giant plunger I guess

Or be in the Up-B jump pose or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bonzibuddy64 posted:

The see-thru red plastic on the fireball for the Amiibo is badass.. Mario is one of the coolest Amiibos atm.

Yeah, it looks cool, its just not representative of the line as a whole.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat the final final battle on hard. I still can't beat the terrible Kirby food one

Copy Dedede; apparently he heals more from inhaling foods.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mamelon posted:

What's the reason players upload "extended" versions of the music? Is it to make it harder to identify the uploader as sharing without owning rights? I've heard people do the same thing by slowing down/speeding up songs.

So you can listen to it for longer than a single loop through without restarting the video.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone want to do some coin battles?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

no, never.

We still haven't smashed at all and I GAVE YOU YOUR 3DS DEMO CODE.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out there's an upper limit to how many different amiibo you can use in a single playsession of Smash. If you do too many, the game will make you back out and save everybody you've used before letting you scan anyone else back in. You can scan back in amiibo that you've already used that session. Looks like, based on my save screen, this limit is 8 different amiibo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flint_Paper posted:

Okay. Right.

I have never played a Smash game before, apart from getting my rear end handed to me for five minutes about three years ago. I picked this up last night for Christmas/New Years group nonsense and gave it a go last night. What the hell is going on??? Everything is everywhere at once and nothing makes sense and WHY DID I WIN THAT WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Basically if anyone has any tips on getting good at/learning to play Smash Bros I'd really appreciate them.

Reiley posted:

A good way to get comfortable with a character is to play around with them in Training and figure out how all their moves work, including how far they reach, how quick they are to come out and how long you're vulnerable afterwards. A couple quick beginner pointers I would recommend are:

-- Learn to use your shield. You can shield instantly in three conditions: when you're standing in neutral, when you're running forward and just as you land from the air if you don't have any other landing lag. Notable details are if you let go of the stick while dashing and then hit shield you'll skid and shield later, but if you hold the stick down and shield you'll brake and shield immediately; and if you shield in the air you'll airdodge, and if you land on the ground before your airdodge recovery frames are up you'll get landing lag delaying your shield.

-- Know how to tilt and smash. You actually have three layers of normal attacks you can use: the neutral jab (without moving the stick in any direction, hit A), your tilts (either leaning the stick or gently tilting it to the outside and hitting A) and your smashes (quickly jam the stick in a direction and hit A at the same time). Characters all have different jabs- some will do a combo that ends with a finisher (Dedede) and others will just jab infinitely until you let go of the button (Pikachu). It takes a bit of a tempered hand to get your tilts to come out reliably, I think, but the're usually weaker but faster and safer than smash attacks, and are good defensive moves.

-- Use your aerials. If you want to approach someone and pressure them or apply damage but you don't want to stand still and attack a good way to do this is to do a short hop (very very quickly pressing the jump button) and then hit your normal attack button. You have five kinds of moves in the air: neutral, up, down, forward and back air moves, depending on which direction you tilt the stick in the air you'll do a different move, with different properties and generally will put a different hitbox on a different side of you. I think every character has at least one aerial move they can use in the air, land safely and quickly act out of without much or any recovery before they can act again, whether they want to shield, tilt, smash or grab.

-- Grab people and throw them. If someone is blocking your attacks figure out a way to move in and grab them, since you can grab through shields. Once you grab someone you can hit the attack button to pummel them for damage and/or hit any of the four cardinal directions to throw them.- down throws typically set people up for you to jump and attack them in the air, and side throws are a good way to heave them off the stage and force them to recover.

-- Be patient. If you overcommit or get overzealous people will see your attacks coming, block them and then attack you while you're vulnerable before you can attack again. People on For Glory seem to love to play passive, wait for you to attack and then shield and punish, so don't fall into that trap without a plan. A character with a projectile can harass someone and force them to come to you, then you can block their attacks and punish them.

I think that covers the absolute basics of how the game works. Try figuring out how a character actually moves and feels, and what everything actually does in Training and you'll have an easier time using them against a person online, since you'll know in advance what you're capable of.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Everything is based on "A or B plus a direction". Tilts vs smashes is gonna be the hardest thing to get down: I've been playing Smash since 64 and I still have trouble reliably executing tilts in battle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Have you tried not sucking?

Which amiibo do I buy to unlock that feature?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Looper posted:

I just set the right stick to tilts :shrug:

Yeah, that's what I've done too. My next idea is to set one of the shoulders to Jump, for ease of short hop aerials

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheKingofSprings posted:

Setting it to tilts still allows you to do aerials, right?

There really isn't any downside to doing that, is there?

Yup, hitting it in the air deploys an aerial attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope that the 3DS version stages get ported to Wii U as a DLC pack...I love Smash 4, but in terms of stages, 3DS has way more that I'm enthusiastic about playing on than the Wii U version. Magicant and Mute City are the obvious standouts, but I like Find Mii's gimmick, and the Kirby Dream Land and Tortimer Island stages are favorites of mine.

• Locked thread