Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
In non vote related news, this is incredible and you should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Reiley posted:

This is for Gaffle

Well, cya.

Pikachu, no. You can't just go stealing other people's fruit, that's very rude.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Duck Hunt? I like his basic playstyle, but I still find myself getting stomped by most folks online. Right now I'm pretty much always throwing the pigeon and spawning gunman. Anything beyond that?

"Can is love, can is LIFE." Basically the Duck Hunt Mantra. Gunman and Clay Pidgeon are both good in their own ways, but the can is so versatile it should be your main attack option. You can use the cans distance for some good zoning/setups, and you can either dtilt to knock the can forward into unsuspecting opponents or dash attack it to send it across long distances or at an angle vertically to cut off someone approaching you form the air. Also if you're retreating you can hit the can with a quick bair and mash b which will call the can back over your head to catch someone who is rushing in.

The Gunman is good depending on how your opponent reacts. If you get someone who doesn't know how to handle it and shields a lot the gunman can open up grab opportunities. It can also block weaker projectiles and give you a quick dash attack opportunity if you catch someone with the hit.The Clay Pigeon is good if your opponents are at a slight distance, the lag on the throw can leave you open if someone is too close.

Learn how to get hard reads for your smash attacks. Don't rely on them too much to the point where people will be expecting it, but usmash is good if you can get someone who is jumping back on stage after grabbing the ledge. Fsmashes are slightly trickier to pull off, however they're awesome for punishing characters that have a decent amount of ending lag. Dsmash is a decent tool at catching people who are roll happy.

Nair and Uair are both great tools that kill at higher percents. If you really want be flashy, dair an opponent that's on the ground at just over 100% and then uair them for the kill if they don't tech the bounce. It's hilarious.

The last match of this set (starts at about 9:51) shows how awesome Duck Hunt really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoTy000XxU

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 17, 2015

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

My friend made a tier list on how silly characters are.

Finally, someone with enough common sense to realize that Duck Hunt is basically the best.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Glimm posted:

Most of the tournament was indoors! Shuffle VII also had Melee and Sm4sh singles/doubles. They had to shutdown by 7pm and the tournament ran a little long (mainly because every single bracket had to wait for M2K).

As someone that's gotten into TOing recently I feel their pain. I mean people are gonna play multiple games but that's gotta suck when your timeline gets thrown off because you can only advance so far in certain brackets before you have to wait for someone to stop playing a different game.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

bef posted:

Link plz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00484IEJS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1432650080&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70

This is the one I use and it's pretty neat.

Also I finished my massive upload of replays from the past month in #goonsmash. If you for some reason haven't joined us yet maybe this will help convince you. We've got a pretty wide assortment of regulars and people they main, and some neat custom users as well. If I miscredited anyone let me know, I think I got everyone's name. If I played with you recently and you're not in the list, maybe next time! I tried to get as many folks as possible. You're all wonderful people and I love playing with you!

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 26, 2015

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Champeenship posted:

One of Ryu's credit images.

Yoshi owns gently caress all dinosaur haters.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Waverhouse come baaaaaaaaack.

I miss you :(

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Reiley posted:

Is there a Western MA Smash scene? I think I remember someone mentioned it once but I really want to play offline smash and improve against better players without dealing with online latency.

Other places to look would be the tournament listings page at Smashboards to see if there's anything nearby. I found my relatively small startup scene in Georgia that way. If there's nothing you could always make a thread pinging for interest (Example) and see what comes up.

Also local colleges would be a good place to look, there's usually a Smash organization or two in those.

If all else fails you could start small, find a place (Library, Game Center, Hobby Shop) and see if they'll host small smash fests. Bring people out, cultivate interest, and slowly grow into doing small tournaments.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Athropos posted:

What is the best way to play with goons? Add the people in the OP?

What Reiley said, also you can use mibbit.com if you're not an IRC client type of person.

But really the point of this post was to tell you that your avatar loving rules and Mutant League Football is an amazing game.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

I'm trying to make a more comprehensive list of #goonsmash folks since the one in the OP is probably full of folks who are no longer around and also could use a bit more info.

:siren: Add yourself! :siren:

View the full list!

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I've had success with both Samus's. People don't seem to expect regular Samus and tend to get caught off guard.

My favorite anti-Samus strategy is just to bust out my pocket Falco. The mind games with reflectors against projectile characters is too fun and often they don't really know how to handle it. We had a Samus player that was busting heads at our last local until I waltzed over and introduced him to space animals.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

It's nice to have dreams and aspirations I guess. :cheeky:

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i think villager taunts are a lot stronger than most bc they are like, for no discernable reason, about three times longer than anyone elses.

Villager is basically the best, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAUenQdX0o

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Is the thing still open, I have nothing to do later

You should probably get in the chat.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Quincytbb posted:

I got completely shut out in both my matches but it was a ton of fun and I feel like I improved a bit from the experience. Can't wait to do this again.

FYI the best place to learn is to show up frequently and run friendlies. Tournies are a good benchmark for how much you've "improved" (I say this because there's a lot of factors that go into tournaments outside of just your skill level at the game. Smash 4 consists of three tenets; neutral game, skill level, and mental game), but friendlies are your best option for learning what works and what doesn't.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Get drunk. Play doubles. Kill everyone. Give no fucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW39KWK2tzg

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Glimm posted:

I forgot to hit record on the first match between Viv and I, mainly because it took about 20s before she destroyed my poor Ness and I wasn't in any state to press buttons properly.

Glimm we gotta get you a couple secondaries. Like say... VILLAGER.

(If you do it I promise I'll pick up Ness and we can do reverse main battles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Your avatar is the most twisted thing I've seen. :dogstare:

Thanks!

Aston posted:

You never did this for me....!

Yeah because you already played Villager, silly! We did have that sick rear end Villager team up though, remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-nmA80RTU

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 20, 2015

• Locked thread