Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
That screenshot painting tool is pretty silly. Surprisingly robust too, somebody with actual art skills could make something pretty convincing looking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Slur posted:

Well, I only have two challenges left: Beating 9.0 without losing a life, and beating 20 rounds of Crazy Orders as Mario. Any advice, guys?

If you beat All-Star with every character on hard I don't understand how you could have trouble with beating 9.0 without losing a life. gently caress if I'm ever gonna beat All-Star on hard with the 90% of the roster I'm not good with.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
It varies for me, occasionally I'll get a match with someone who somehow got their Wii U running off a dial-up modem, but for the most part I don't even really notice any input lag. I only do For Glory 1 v 1 though, most of the times I tried four player stuff on the 3DS the game slowed to an agonizing crawl, and doing four player with randos instead of some buds on your couch isn't really fun anyways.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I made a dumb Captain Falcon video today. It ends with the coolest kill I've ever gotten in any Smash Bros.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm really looking forward to the first Smash Bros game with a different director at the helm. I would love to see a Smash Bros that's designed with both competitive and casual play in mind, rather than being designed with the idea that one forgoes the other.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Polo-Rican posted:

Sakurai brought us smash bros, so he is a Good Man, but we need a different dude brought on board for the single player poo poo. Classic / All Star / Multi Man / Stadium Events are all extremely bad and by this point I'd rather they did away with singleplayer completely and used however many thousands of man-hours they'd save to throw in a half-dozen more characters. Smash with bots is the best single player mode anyways.

I just want break the targets back. Also I liked Melee's adventure mode a lot, I wouldn't mind something in the vein of that returning.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Break the Targets is the best single player content because it makes you actually think about your character's movement and attacks, how far projectiles will go and how gravity affects them, the speed and range of your moves, etc. Also Young Link's in Melee forced people to learn about wall jumping.

Classic/Adventure/All-Star/Event are all fun but you don't learn anything that's applicable against actual opponents. If anything fighting the CPU will probably make you worse at the game because repetitive tactics work a lot better.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 31, 2014

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How could you question the authenticity of "Nintendo Nugget"

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Ganondorf owns

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Captain Falcon's moveset came from the Dragon King prototype that turned into Smash Bros, so in a sense Captain Falcon is actually the purest representation of Smash Bros and an embodiment of its mechanics.

e: also he's rad as gently caress

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 12, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
SUPER. SMASH. BROTHERS.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Project M 3.6 trailer. I like the look of their Bowser stage, the Thwomps seem like a really neat stage hazard. Also cool that you can now toggle between the Project M versions of stages and the original stage hazard filled Brawl ones. Plus more N64 stages!

If there were a trivial way to set up matches in Dolphin netplay I'd play tons of Project M.

Edit: Dark Suit Samus costume plus some other misc images.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 30, 2015

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

sharrrk posted:

i'm glad they decided to reskin the dracula's castle stage. that one always felt really out of place, even if it gave me an excuse to put castlevania music in the game

Yeah, that stage always bugged me both because there's no corresponding Castlevania character in the game and because of the lack of music from the franchise. Glad they finally ditched it for something that fits, and I have to imagine they picked the Sunshine bonus level aesthetic solely so they could add the appropriate music.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Jigglypuff has ridiculous spacing, she seems pretty decent

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
All I want is Snake DLC but I know I'll never get him :(

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Another new Project M trailer.

I really hope that's some kind of optional mode in the next release.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm really not that into this ballot request thing if only because it reminds me too much of when the Sumo Digital guys said they'd look at one the community put together after Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed came out and nothing ever came from that, like literally nothing.

They made Ryo DLC, and I wanna say he ranked high in the poll.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Wild Knight posted:

And for Samus's rolls to be better. I could swear Sakurai showed her dodging like Other M and that looked a lot better than her current super slow Morph ball.

I think you're thinking of Project M. They gave her an Other M style dodge and made morph ball into a crawl.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Phil Spencer (The head of Xbox) thinks Banjo-Kazooie being DLC for Smash Bros would be cool and would have no problem working with Nintendo to make it happen.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Patter Song posted:

Voted for Phoenix Wright. I put as a reason he'd be a good fit for Smash that he could shout "Objection" as a taunt.

sharrrk posted:

that would be his neutral special move, actually.

Do you really think Sakurai would pass on the opportunity to put another Down-B counter in the game? :rolleyes: Come on people.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
You know it really would make a lot of sense to have just replaced Sheik with Impa in Smash 4. It's really weird how a game in 2014 is still clinging to this "character" that appeared in one game back in 1998.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm like a page late but what the gently caress is with the Wolf hate. Wolf is about as much of a "clone" of Fox as Luigi is of Mario, they play almost completely differently.

Roy hate is justified though, he's almost exactly like Marth and we already have a character who's literally just Marth 2.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Xad posted:

Fox, Falco, and Wolf are the only three smash characters I actually don't like playing as
I don't care for Fox or Falco, but I really enjoyed playing as Wolf in Brawl. I really liked his Smash and air attacks. Also his taunts owned.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Wolf in Brawl wasn't even voiced by the actor from Assault anyways, they got a soundalike. Same thing with Falco, Fox was the only playable character that returned.

The actor in 64 3D was pretty bad but maybe he'd be better when given more freedom with the voice/delivery instead of trying to match a heavily compressed N64 recording of a completely different person. Fox's actor was pretty good in Brawl despite being super flat in Assault.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's the same person.

No, Wolf was voiced by Jock Blaney in the N64 version and Jaz Adams on the 3DS. The only returning actors from the N64 version were Fox, Slippy and Leon's VAs.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
With Anyone For Fun at 2 in the morning is dumb and amazing.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Can someone tell me exactly how the ledge mechanics work in Smash 4? I just played a bunch of matches as Falcon against a ZSS, and every single time I went for a spike and missed they would then hit me after I grabbed the ledge and I would ricochet off the side of the stage and die. I know repeated grabs don't have invincibility but I thought the first one does? How does this mechanic work and how do I take advantage of it when trying to kill recovering players?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fcTpyxC-M

basically if you touch the ledge, you are invincible. if you go off the ledge, and grab it again without getting hit, or having your feet touch the ground, you are not invincible. also, there is a single frame when you grab the ledge the first time where you are vulnerable, so quick or lingering hitboxes still might hit you. Also, you are only invincible for a couple seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A
this video is good too but a little more advanced

Thanks, the second video in particular seems pretty helpful. Done playing for the day but I'll try to implement that stuff next time I play.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Would be awesome if they actually bothered to animate Falcon's mouth for his taunts like in Brawl.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Sakurai wanted to simulate the feeling of playing the 3DS version.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

mabels big day posted:

I like the Kraid stage.

I like all the lovely stages from Melee. Legit don't know why people hate levels like Brinstar Depths and Pokefloats, I think they're way more fun than any of the Brawl or Smash 4 equivelents like 75m or Pyrosphere. Icicle Mountain is the only stage I hated playing on.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Sakurai apparently since it never made a repeat appearance.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Fourside is in Project M and it's great. So much better than New Pork City.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Dude it's not even the 15th yet chill.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
In order to create a more pleasant gaming experience samus has been removed entirely so you won't feel crippling disappointment when you play as her

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The most important patch change is you don't have to reset your loving name every time you go to a new menu

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Kelp Plankton posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

Dude claims to have datamined stage music for a Street Fighter 2 level and victory themes for Ryu, Roy, and Lucas.

Waiting to see someone else confirm/debunk stuff right now.

The smash rumor train never stops.

Weird how Lucas and Roy's themes are just the same Mother and Fire Emblem themes already in the game, and the Street Fighter II themes are literally ripped from the SNES game. I'm sure it's legit though and not just some guy who threw some .wav files on dropbox.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Maybe once all the DLC is out they'll rearange the character select screen so it finally makes sense, and the clones aren't off on their own as their own "series".

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
lol if you honestly think Phoenix Wright has a chance when every other third party character has been from enormous multi-million selling franchises and Capcom doesn't even bother localizing half the Ace Attorney games because they barely sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
If I had pulled that off it would have been the sickest poo poo in the world. (I'm Ganon)

Has anyone managed to time that right? It would be so satisfying but it's hard to get the timing perfect.

• Locked thread