Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

NNID is Malachai.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've had the game two weeks in advance, and since online wasn't available until today, I've been trying to complete the challenge board.

If you want to unlock some characters, stages, and CDs, here are the requirements so you can jump right to it rather than having to sift through the bulk beforehand:

Characters:

I'm not actually positive of the requirements, but I do know that the 10-matches thing still works, so you can just do that. There are 10 characters to unlock and Duck Hunt is the last one at 100 matches.
I also unlocked Dr. Mario by doing a Master Order, but that might have been a coincidence.

Stages:

Kongo Jungle 64:
Clear the "The Original Heavyweights" event in Solo. (It's the very first event)

PAC-LAND:
Play all three maps in Smash Tour.

Smashville:
Clear the "Playing Tricks" event in Solo. (From the first event, go right, then up)

Pokemon Stadium 2:
Clear the "When Lightning Strikes" event in Solo. (From the first event, go right, then up, then right, then up)

Flat Zone X:
Play alone and as Mr. Game & Watch and destroy 100 blocks in a single game of Trophy Rush.

Duck Hunt:
Score at least 1 KO in a single Solo Cruel Smash.

CDs:

Rosalina in the Observatory/Luma's Theme (Mario Galaxy):
Clear any Master Orders ticket while playing as Rosalina & Luma.

Tetris: Type B (Wuhu Island):
Clear 100-Man Smash.

Credits (???):
Reveal the entire wall during the credits.

Master Core (Final Destination):
Clear Classic mode on intensity 5.5 or higher.

Title Theme (Wii Sports Resort)(Wuhu Island):
Get a max combo of 30 or more in Training.

Title/Ending (Super Mario World)(Yoshi's Island):
Play as Peach and hit Sandbag at least 1049 ft. in home-Run Contest.

Wii Fit Plus Medley (Wii Fit Studio):
Clear 100-Man Smash within 3 minutes.

In The Space-Pirate Ship (Palutena's Temple):
Play as Palutena in stage 2 and score 80,000 points or more in Solo Target Blast using the back wall. (Bounce the bomb against the wall behind you when you launch it)

Star Wolf (Star Fox: Assault)(Orbital Gate Assault):
Get a score of more than 20 in a single Rival Smash.

Super Mario Bros. 3 Medley (Mushroom Kingdom U):
KO your rival 2 or more times in a single Rival Smash.

Title (Punch-Out!!)(Boxing Ring):
Clear Solo Classic without losing a single life while playing as Little Mac.

Full Steam Ahead (Spirit Tracks)(Temple):
Clear Solo Classic at intensity 5.5 or higher, playing as Wario without any customizations.

Conquest (Ablaze)(Coliseum):
Play alone and as Robin and get a Fever Rush 4 or more times in a single game of Trophy Rush.

Gerudo Valley (Skyloft):
Clear 10-Man Smash within 17 seconds.

DK Rap (Jungle Hijinxs):
Get a chain of at least 200 in Trophy Rush while playing alone and as Donkey Kong.

Multi-Man Melee 2 (Melee)([Big] Battlefield):
Clear Solo 100-Man Smash within 3 minutes while playing as Mii Swordfighter.

Mission Mode (Garden of Hope):
Clear Solo Classic within 20 minutes while playing as Olimar.

King Dedede's Theme (Halberd):
Clear a Master Order on Hard difficulty or higher while playing as King Dedede.

Battle! (Reshiram/Zekrom)(Kalos Pokemon League):
Clear Crazy Orders after 10 or more turns while playing as Greninja.

Master Fortress: First Wave (Final Destination):
Clear Classic at intensity 8.0 with 2 or more characters. (the description doesn't say "or higher" so be aware!)

Master Fortress: Second Wave (Final Destination):
Clear Classic at intensity 8.0 with 3 or more characters.

Pokemon (as in, from the Pokeball item):

Victini:
Clear All-Star.

Meloetta:
Clear Solo All-Star on normal difficulty or higher while playing as Lucario.

Xerneas:
Play alone and as Pikachu and destroy 200 blocks in a single game of Trophy Rush.

Masterpieces:

Yoshi:
Clear Solo Classic while playing as Yoshi.

Punch Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
Clear the "No Mere Sparring Match" event on normal difficulty or higher. (From the first event, go up, then left, then down, then left, then up)

Earthbound:
Hit Sandbag 1968 ft. or more in Home-Run Contest.

Kirby's Adventure:
Clear Solo Classic at intensity 5.5 or higher while playing as Kirby.

Dr. Mario:
Clear Solo 10-Man Smash without taking any damage while playing as Dr. Mario.

Custom Moves:

Tornado Hold (Mega Man):
Clear a Master Orders ticket while playing as Mega Man.

Exploding Popgun (Diddy Kong):
Score at least 150,000 points in a single game of Target Blast on Stage 1.

Dashing Assault (Marth):
Clear the "The Falchion's Seal" event on normal difficulty or higher. (From the first event, go up)

Rock Hurl (Charizard):
Play as Charizard and get a score of 328 ft. or more in Solo Home-Run Contest without using the bat.

Guiding Bow (Dark Pit):
Obatin a score of 25 or more in a single Rival Smash while playing as Dark Pit.

Accele-Reflector (Falco):
Get a chain of at least 150 in Trophy Rush while playing alone and as Falco.

Ripping Boomerang (Link):
Play as Link and score 50 KOs or more in Solo Endless Smash.

Dire Hydrant (PAC-MAN):
Score at least 200,000 points in a single game of Target Blast on Stage 2.

Thanks, Sakurai.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 21, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

the truth posted:

You have friend requests disabled.

Just sent out a request to everyone in the thread, except for whoever has NNID: lambchowdr because that didn't work.

No I don't:

Weird that it'd say that I do. I just sent you one, see if that worked.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Was spectating a doubles match between Mac+Shulk and Kirby+Peach on Halberd.

The loving thing desynced and the replay cut out halfway through!

I found it kind of funny and also foreboding.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Xad posted:

I noticed there was a big post about some unlockable characters/music/stages, but none of the music was from Wonderful 101! Anyone have any of them so far?

I only listed the music that you unlock during challenges. There's still a whole lot of songs for you to unlock otherwise. There are at least two, maybe three W101 songs in there, including the main theme (without vocals) and the final boss theme.

That said, the Sandbag method doesn't work, I've found. The best way to unlock music is to play Crazy Orders.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where is Maple Leaf

For I must fight him

I was legit working for Nintendo at a Toys R Us but the check will have the Nintendo logo on it

I'll fight you later tonight, my irl friends want a piece of this first.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

SomethingAwful forums poster Maple Leaf, I'm calling you out

Gimme half an hour.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

SomethingAwful forums poster Maple Leaf, I'm calling you out

I am ready to throw down.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Wow, that's enough of that lag. GGs.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I think the lag is on my end, I can't connect with anyone on For Glory worth a poo poo either. I'm looking to see if port forwarding might help at all.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

One of the challenges requires you killing 8 as Lucina.

So, you know, have fun.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did port forwarding help

I know what you're asking.

And the answer is you host.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

You still on? I was actually unironically asking if it helped but I'd still like to settle it in Smash

E: Also get in the IRC I don't check this thread more than like once every 2 hours

Sure, I'm still on.

Also the chat never seems very active whenever I go on.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

They've all been lovely since they took out Board The Platforms.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I do! I forgot I had one of those. So there isn't anything that just feels 'weird' about using the pro controller in smash?

It actually feels better imo. People just cling to the GC controller because it's familiar to them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheComicFiend posted:

I'm down for a tournament. Can someone stream?

This thing's handy for organizing brackets: http://challonge.com/

I could. Certified for 720p 60fps.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

It's... it's beautiful

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Kaethela posted:

How the hell did you manage it? It seems impossible.

I went with Lucario. Pump him full of defense mods, which will hurt your speed, but since he gets stronger the more damage he takes, you're laughing. His recovery is unaffected by the speed deficit, too. If you're caught in a clusterfuck, spam down+b, which, if it triggers, 1) covers a wider area than most other counters, 2) you're invincible until the end of the animation, and 3) it launches Lucario out of the area and thus out of danger.

Use his Snaring Aura Sphere if you have it unlocked. Fire one and hide yourself in it and you're untouchable for as long as it lasts. Try to find equipment that has secondary deficits you don't care about - a favourite of mine was any badge that took away my invincibility off the recovery platform because it barely took away any stats and I wasn't going to need that invincibility anyway.

Master Beast was probably the biggest pain in the rear end for me. Generally, just don't attack it at all and counter everything it does. Also, remember that every enemy in Master Fortress is grab-able - huge help for fighting Stalfos. A fully charged Snaring Aura Sphere can destroy a heart in two or three hits (and one sphere hits multiple times), depending on your Aura, so you can launch one and then run away if you need to.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

No, Lylat was never banned. There was nothing to justify banning it, and anyone who tried to say "but the stage tilts and fucks up my character's recovery!" was considered a whiner even by tournament-player standards. Not even Meta Knight had an overpowering presence on Lylat compared to, say, Delfino or Halberd.

greatn posted:

What the gently caress is a counter pick?

A tournament has two stage lists: neutrals and counter pics. You play the first game on a neutral stage (FD or Battlefield or Smashville, whatever). If you lose your first match, you can take your opponent to a stage that benefits you or hinders them in some way (for example, taking Ganondorf to Wooly World to take advantage of his poor recovery). The second one is a counter pick.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 25, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

greatn posted:

Cool concept, but is any stage, even Battlefield, truly neutral?

No, but what can you do? Smashville was considered the neutral stage for Brawl because it was mostly FD but then it was Battlefield when you wanted/needed it to be.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Counterpickpoint: gently caress you

E: how likely is the Kalos stage to get banned? I really like that one a lot. I assume the stage hazards are too much for it to be legal?

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Phone posted:

What's the controller scheme that people are using with the GC controller? Just changing the C-stick to attack versus smash?

Most people seem to appreciate X as grab, Y as jump, L as jump, and tap jump off. I prefer X as jump, Y as grab, tap jump off, and C-stick set to smash. There's no "community standard" with control schemes; just go with whatever you're comfortable with, honestly.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Chaltab posted:

So just curious, who is having serious lag? Because so far my online experience has been remarkably smooth, as good as if not better than any other fighting game I've played online.

It was unbearably terrible for me the first two days, but then it smoothed itself out and it's been just great ever since.

I am also Canadian, fwiw.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Sade posted:

Who does Mew2King play in this game? That's my new main.

Sonic and Diddy.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

2 out of 3, not bad. :v:
Sonic is unexpected, though. Is it because most of his attacks seem to have stupidly good priority?

It's because Sonic can run away the easiest.

Watch M2K play any high-stakes match and he'll abuse the ledge invincibility as much as he can if he thinks he needs to. Since that isn't a thing in Smash 4, straight-up running away will give him all the space he needs.

That, and, Sonic is legit if you know how to use him.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So apparently Diddy dominated some high profile smash 4 tournament or something?

KTAR XI. A day-1 tournament for the Wii U version, hosted by a guy that named the tournament after himself (for the eleventh time).

There were only three high-profile Diddy Kongs (M2K among them), but they were heavily featured by VGBootCamp so it's shitload of videos featuring Diddy and making him look more over-saturated than he is.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What is it? Haven't seen this

Brawler's default Up+B, the Piston Punch, is a multi-hit move, and it has obscene knockback on the very first hit. If you can land just that hit and not any of the others, it can kill at 0%.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Arpanets posted:

Ok so what are the current Top Five characters?

General consensus is, in no particular order, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sheik, Greninja, Lucario/Sonic.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

CatsPajamas posted:

Maple Leaf, you seemed to have a good grasp Smash 4 since you were posting about your early release copy, plus you write good, well-written posts. It would be neat to hear your thoughts on what makes these characters good, and also I'd be really interested in hearing what other characters you thought had potential but aren't currently in the limelight.

Haha, well, I don't think a lot of people are too keen on reading a wall of sperg regarding frame data, hitboxes, priorities, etc., so I'll just give the bullet points.

Disclaimer: there's still a whole lot of sperg.

Diddy:

Diddy's down throw combos into anything.
Diddy's biggest strengths is that almost all of his attacks all come out crazy, wicked fast. We're talking less-than-ten-frames fast. He may not run as fast as Sheik or Greninja but his moves come out faster than actual ninjas do.
His recovery is very, very good. Monkey Flip retains its momentum at the end, unlike Brawl or P:M, so he can launch himself from the blastzone and make it back just fine. The Rocket Barrels go just as far as Brawl's if you point them straight up, but they actually go much, much farther if you point them sideways.
The banana's not quite the menace it was before, but if it lands and trips his opponent, Diddy gets a free anything he wants.

Rosalina:

Honestly, by herself, she's not the strongest. She doesn't weigh very much; she's a huge target; her recovery isn't amazing. Her attacks used to be much more threatening before the patch.
What really makes her scary is Luma. Luma has roughly 50 HP. He can just stand in front of Rosalina and tank projectiles, totally shutting down Diddy's Banana, Samus's Charge Shot and missiles, Link's arrows, etc. And Rosalina can use her down+b to make any projectile disappear anyway, extending Luma's life.
Star Bits acts as a quick, wide wall that can be used to disrupt any sort of approach or attack. One of Rosalina's customs turns Star Bits into Falco's laser, where Luma only shoots one, straight bit, but it does 5% for every hit.
Luma hits like a freight train, especially his smash attacks.
Being able to control more of the stage is always a huge plus, so planting Luma on closer to her opponent and using him to attack not only pressures her opponent immensely, but keeps herself safe. And if her opponent gets past the starfish, she can just call him back.
All that said, Luma is pretty fragile. If your character of choice has an attack that will instantly kill a Mii Fighter in Classic Mode (for example: Donkey Kong's Ground Pound) it'll hit Luma really far into the air, and Rosalina has no control over Luma if he's in a tumble. It's pretty easy to hit Luma off the stage and force Rosalina to fight you one-on-one for thirteen seconds.

Sheik:

Like Diddy, it's mostly in her frame data. Sheik doesn't hit very hard but specializes in hitting you so many times that most characters can't respond to anything she does.
If you think you are ever safe, her Bouncing Fish will find you. It's not uncommon to be way off the stage just for Sheik to bounce at you, and you don't airdodge because you don't expect it.
A lot of her attacks, her aerials especially, cover a wide range in addition to hitting really fast.
Most of Sheik's strengths rely on tricks that only the pros would really look out for - cancelling her Bouncing Fish by sliding off edges, or how quickly she can cancel her dash with a shield, etc. She works best by overwhelming you with poo poo you likely haven't ever seen before, and even if you know to watch for them, it's difficult to react to anything because she's already doing something else.
On the flipside, if you can take away her Bouncing Fish, Sheik actually has the worst recovery in the game, so that's a weakness you can try to exploit.

Greninja:

Greninja's up throw combos into anything.
His running up-smash hits above him and on either side of him, meaning he's running full-tilt and cancelling it immediately with a very powerful move that protects him on all sides. Your best bet is to shield it and punish it. It's a little less dangerous now, after the patch, but it hasn't lost any of its damage or KO potential.
BUT, if Greninja knows you're going to shield it, he can just dash-grab instead, and his up-throw combos into anything. If Greninja's running right at you, it's a coin toss for you.
His back air is probably the best back air in the game. It hits hard; it hits fast; it ends fast; it's multi-hit so airdodging it is difficult; it has very little landing lag; it has a huge hitbox; etc etc.
Hydro Pump is the rudest way to deny someone of their recovery. It's much stronger than Mario's FLUDD and it can potentially hit in a much wider range. A friend of mine abuses this by short-hop Hydro Pumping into the ground: the blast doesn't last very long, but it's absurdly fast and strong and it immediately puts Greninja back into neutral.

Lucario:

Lucario is my character of choice :v:
Lucario's up throw combos into anything.
At low percents, he's very, very weak: every attack does only 3 or 4 percent. But he trades having zero attack power to speak of by having a combo game that's better than most.
Once Lucario takes roughly 60% damage, he can start doing some real damage, and he only gets stronger the more damage he takes. All of his smash attacks, while very slow, can kill absurdly early.
Force Palm gets more range the more percentage Lucario has. At max Aura, its possible to cover half of FD with a single strike. And, if you can land the grab, it's also one of his best kill moves (if you'll pardon the gross, icky sperg, his grab comes out on frame 9, while his fsmash comes out on frame 25, nearly three times as long).
Aura Sphere is large and slow enough to trap any possible landing your opponent tries to make. At max Aura, it can kill as low as 60%. Its charging animation has its own hitbox, which refreshes all his other moves if just one "tick" lands.
At max Aura, his fully-charged upsmash does 48%. That's always fun.
His recovery is easily the best in the game.
Lucario's biggest trappings is that his range isn't the best; his attacks all come out rather slowly (especially compared to faster characters like Diddy); and that he needs to be in trouble himself before he can be a threat. He relies mostly on his opponent loving up and capitalizing on that. But being able to kill whenever the gently caress he feels like is a pretty decent trade.
Refer to a post I made in the 3DS thread for more.

Sonic:

In the proper hands, Sonic is not an aggressive character. He picks and chooses when to go in, and if he doesn't like his odds, he'll either hold his spindash or he'll run away until he likes them again.
Homing Attack has a much wider lock-on radius than ever, allowing him to lock-on from almost the length of Battlefield away.
He can cancel his dash attack with shield (you have to be almost frame-perfect, though).
His side+b can cancel into any aerial after a jump. I've been hit by side+b into neutral air into up air into up air into spring-up air. The more he mixes it up, the fresher, and more threatening, every other move of his becomes.
In Brawl and P:M, if you were hit off-stage, you could charge his down+b, and, if you jumped within a certain amount of frames after firing, he'd be put into his normal double-jump animation but with his down+b's momentum. Sort of like Wario's weird vectoring glitch, but as a feature. I don't know if it's still in, but if it is, his recovery would be among the best in a pro's hands.
His fsmash has great range, very little cooldown, and is one of his best kill options.
His Spring is another really rude gimping tool, but because it knocks his opponent out of helpless, it's not the greatest.
Sonic's biggest weakness would probably be his kill power. He has no issue at all racking up a lot of damage in a hurry, but if he can't land his kill moves (fsmash, back air, upsmash and maybe Homing Attack), he'll have a hard time winning the match, especially since he loses his combo game once his spin dash stops hitting you so softly.

But all of this is based on information we have now. Ask me again in a year, when we've had more tournaments and there's been more matches and people figure out what beats what.

As for characters I think would be good if they got more attention... they'd be, in no particular order (and without making this post longer than it is by explaining why): Zero Suit Samus, Shulk, ROB, Captain Falcon, Mega Man, possibly Mario.

As an aside, Villager might be the best doubles partner in the game.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 2, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Maple Leaf please talk about how great Bowser Jr is thank you

I'm pretty sure he's not :( Both of his recovery options are heavily telegraphed and his strongest attacks are after he's used Abandon Ship and has thus put himself in danger. He has very little combo game; his cannon is slow and obvious and his Mecha Koopa can just be blocked, or even picked up and used against him, removing both of his projectile options. His smashes are all laggy and weak. The only thing he really has going for him is a unique shield gimmick with his car.

ROB can get a lot of distance, but it's slow; it's not an attack (you can attack out of it but that'll drop you like a rock and waste more gas); and, unlike with literally every other character, hitting him out of it does not give it back to him. If you're going strictly by distance, sure, ROB's is pretty good.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Pretty sure all counters are based on the strength of the attack you're countering. So a countered rocket hammer would hit loving hard.

Lucario's Double Team is based on nothing but his own Aura, so jabs and smashes will have him retaliate equally as hard, and Shulk's Vision is actually based on timing. The sooner it activates, the more damage and knockback it does - because it'd be pretty silly if he foresaw an attack that was late or, heaven forbid, never actually came.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey Maple Leaf

You should fight me or something

Sure, you host.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

GGs. You're still doing that thing with the double jumps that I told you about.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Bluff Buster posted:

So, uhh, I just got rocked by this Sonic player while playing as Wario and Little Mac. How on earth are you supposed to punish any of his attacks? It seems that his spin dashes are really, really good in this game, he has a crazy recovery that can't be intercepted, and it seems that even when he whiffs an attack, he can just run away to make his next move. Any advise playing against Sonic?

Watch when he starts charging a spindash. If he does the little hop before he takes off, then nine times out of ten he's going to jump once he hits you and do an aerial. Your strongest option is to shield and then punish.

I mained Wario in Brawl and one of the Wario vs Sonic strategies was to just open your mouth when he starts spindashing. Your hitbox will hit him before his hits you, and suddenly hedgehog is on the menu. You could try that if you haven't.

Sonic is definitely one of the more annoying characters in the game no matter who you are, so, you just gotta suck it up and learn it the hard way like the rest of us.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I don't know how counterpick bans work but can't Little Macs and Ganondorfs, in tournament setting, just say no Duck Hunt for the counterpick?

They can - but that means not saying no to another stage that's bad for them. So rather than make keep stages A and B legal, just make B illegal and say no to A during the counterpick. Everyone wins!

That's how a typical argument over stage lists goes and that's why Smash tournaments historically have less than a tenth of the available stages tourney-viable. Some are really obviously not okay, like Great Cave Offensive, but for others, all it takes is someone with some clout saying "it's bad because the colours hurt my eyes" or whatever and now we have a big ole' thing to talk about and nobody's going to get what they want in the end.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

It's great how Snake just disses Sonic. Otacon tries to convince him that Sonic is a big star and a great addition to the cast and Snake is just like "nope, he sucks."

He hates Sonic because snakes and hedgehogs are enemies irl. So there's some meta humour for you.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

How the hell do I play Duck Hunt.

All of his attacks are weak as hell and zapper smashes almost always push people out of the combo instead of launching them.

Duck Hunt is very much not a melee fighter. His strength is in keeping his distance and pelting his opponent with attacks at such a distance that it's impossible to fight back. His strongest moves for that is his side+B, the Clay Pigeon, and his down+B, the Gunmen. Throw a disc, press B again to shoot and destroy it, then set down a gunman. His grenades are also quite good at zoning - for instance, plant a grenade on top of a platform on Battlefield while you throw skeets and gunmen standing below it. Now your opponent actually can't approach you at all.

But he still has some tools to fight one-on-one. If your opponent closes the gap, your dash attack and forward tilt are both good at knocking them away because they have long-lasting hitboxes. His forward-air and his back-air both have disjoints on the duck, meaning if an attack hits the duck, it won't hit the dog. His grabs are generally pretty good but it's tricky to do much out of any of them - which is fine with you, because all you really want is to get them off of you so you can go back to throwing discs and gunmen.

Duck Hunt's biggest weakness is actually killing. His best moves for it are all of his smash attacks, his neutral-air (the spinny thing), his up-air, and his back-air. If you didn't know, his forward smash gets more range the longer he charges it, in addition to getting stronger, so you might be able to fake out your opponent if they aren't aware. The third hit will also always hit a person hanging on the ledge, so that's something you can try to capitalize on. Down smash hits more reliably into itself, but its weaker. His up throw can kill at over 200% if you can't land anything other than discs.

Duck Hunt's recovery is really good, but you can't cancel it and it's really slow. Don't be afraid to jank your recovery in order to escape an obvious edgeguard.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since people here are clearly more capable than me, I might as well ask: Any tips for playing Captain Falcon? He's my main and I'm decent with him, but I want to improve. Plus I can't do the "beat All-Star on Normal without healing" challenge, I'm too much of an aggresive idiot.

Captain Falcon is a rush-down character: you want to be really aggressive with his movements because his attacks are all based around that. His dash-grab might be the best in the game; if you land the grab, down throw into something. The favourite is into his up-air, then another without double jumping, then hitting the ground, and jump and start up-airing again. If you want to mix it up, his neutral-air is quite fast but the hitbox is a little more precise. As epic as his knee is, you want to avoid just throwing it out because a miss means you're wide open.

His standard jab has surprising reach and priority, so using it to combo directly into your grab is a good idea. His up-tilt, the axe kick, spikes at his heel consistently, so you can stand on the ledge and use it to edgeguard.

Falcon's not the best at worming his way into his opponent: either he's in, or he's not. If you can wall him out well enough (like with Duck Hunt!) then he's unlikely to consistently get in and make the big plays like he wants to. His weight and size also makes him really vulnerable against characters with lots of light-hit combos - Mario, Kirby, possibly Meta Knight, Lucario at low Aura, etc. He's good at harassing, but he's easy to harass.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

SomethingAwful Forums poster Maple Leaf, I'm calling you out

Man, what'd I do this time?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

You didn't get in smash and fight me

Let's fix that, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

My ISP had a hiccup. It looks fine now if you want to keep going.

• Locked thread