Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also here's hoping Yoshi is actually good this time around.

Uhh ... is " widely considered one of the best characters in the game" good enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I just had the worst streak of matches against Villager online. The one that always knows exactly when to shoot the slingshot and Lloyd. He would just constantly use them over and over and I just couldn't punish him at all, especially near the edge. I got one win as Little Mac, but the rest of who I'd call my mains were just no match for him. Advice?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Dad Jokes posted:

What's a good way to avoid a Ganondorf Side-B? Even if I know it's coming, I can never seem to spot-dodge it. Is it even dodgeable, or do I just need to get better at spacing?

It's not as if it goes particularly far. You can probably roll faster and farther than his side-b will travel, away or towards him, or jump in the air. Walking is another option if he's using it at a distance.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Plus, her returning teleport also has both a hitbox (not a KO like the initial teleport) and a windbox, making it kinda tricky to punish.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So, uhh, I just got rocked by this Sonic player while playing as Wario and Little Mac. How on earth are you supposed to punish any of his attacks? It seems that his spin dashes are really, really good in this game, he has a crazy recovery that can't be intercepted, and it seems that even when he whiffs an attack, he can just run away to make his next move. Any advise playing against Sonic?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So I've been playing around with some of Wario's custom moves lately. I'd like to share my thoughts on some of them.

The bite is already a great move all around, and you can be forgiven for assuming that the others probably aren't worth it. The inhaling chomp is probably the better of the two custom moves. While it is useful to mess with people who are in the air and eat your bike from far away, there is a bit of ending lag to it if you miss and you'll probably end up getting about 2-3 chomps out of it before someone breaks out of it, so if you get a lot of your damage from biting, you may feel the sting a bit. However, it may also be a great way to stage spike someone since you're chomping less. Unfortunately, the Garlic Breath isn't very good. It takes a bit too long for the breath to come out, and while being able to stun people may sound appealing you miss out on 2 important features of the bite: having an air grab and being able to eat projectiles, especially his own bike. If you do end up using it, I suggest using the Speeding Bike so the bike will be more likely to fall off stage.

The Speeding Bike is pretty great all around. Being faster means being harder to react to, and this bike can get you back on stage from almost anywhere using it. As long as you're fine with not being able to turn around or drop your bike on stage, this is a bike well worth using. Just be weary that the bike has less health and is more likely to explode when someone attacks it. The Burying Bike, however, is disappointing. While it it nice to be able to bury someone and attack them (yes, you can jump off the bike fast enough to follow up), they get an increased KO resistance while buried, making it only useful for racking up damage. I don't really feel like Wario needs help building damage. He needs help KOing people. In addition the bike is much heavier, making it more difficult to recover. You may need to use the Corkscrew Leap if you use the Burying Bike.

Wario's regular up-b has never been good. It's short ranged, it doesn't do that much damage, and it's pretty terrible for KOing. Which is why I highly recommend his Widescrew. Seriously, it's sorta like having a Mario Tornado. You can move to the side using the move (though it is a short distance), plus due to the low angle it knocks people in, it's seriously a pretty good KO move when you're opponent is at around 120%, especially when you're near the edge. You might think that his Corkscrew Leap, being the generic up-b that trades damage for distance, would be another good alternative, but my biggest problem with it is that Wario will zip right past the ledge during the move, so you need to get a sense of how low you need to be before you use it. This puts you at a risk of being spiked by someone, since this is not an attack at all. Plus, I've never really need extra distance from the corkscrew, and even using the Widescrew will get you where you need to, especially with the Speeding Bike.

Rose-Scented Waft is garbage. There is no point in landing a move that does damage over time when you can use a move that KOs at a low damage anyway. It does charge faster than the regular waft and it can do a lot of damage, but if you can consistently land farts on people to do damage ... why not use the fart that kills instead? As for the Quick Waft ... uhh ... I might be in the minority here, but I think it's great, possibly as good as the regular waft. If you don't know, the waft has 4 different stages. For the regular waft, it's the final 2 that are the most important (the 3rd stage is optimally what you want to aim for), but for the Quick Waft, it's the first 2 stages that are the most important. There is pretty much no lag on using them, and the fart has surprising range on it. With the Quick Waft, you're pretty much a mobile banana that can trip people anytime you want, leading to easy follow-ups. You want to aim for the 2nd stage, since that's the fart that'll really let you combo into killing moves like your Up-Smash and even his Forward Smash.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Never thought of using the Garlic Breath for edge-guarding purposes, and I can see some fun ledge-shenanigans. I still feel like it's a bit outclassed by regular bite in sheer versatility, though.

As for the rose-scented waft, perhaps I was a bit rough on it. For what it's worth, it does build up damage pretty quickly even when using the lower stages of the waft and I could see someone having built up so much damage that even the weaker moves will KO.

With the Quick Waft, you will always trip someone as long as they are standing on the ground. You want to use the second stage of the waft so Wario isn't scratching his head (not that it's terribly long or anything. You just want all the time you need when someone trips and the second stage bypasses that head-scratching animation). Plus, once your opponent is a bit over 100%, you can still charge the fart to maximum to get a reliable off-stage kill.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I'm missing one song in Smash, and it's from this challenge: "Recover the stat boosts a Metroid stole from you in Smash Tour." I understand how to do it obviously, but even when I play smash tour I can't get a metroid to show up. Is there a way to make a metroid show up? Are they more likely to show up on a certain map/certain number of turns?

Thanks

The strategy is to use a golden hammer and save yourself from a lottery game.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I don't see Peach too often, but here's my impression from what I've seen. Even with her amazing floating jump, she can only stay in the air for so long. As far as I know, she doesn't have a spectacular ground game, so try to catch her whenever she lands. Also pay attention to which direction she's facing when she's floating. If she's facing you, she may try to use her f-air, which while strong also has noticeable start-up and cool-down time to take advantage of. If she's backwards, she's probably specifically trying to use back-air. Her attacks may be unsafe on shield, especially towards the end of her jump, so try to grab her as soon as she whiffs or gets blocked by your shield. Unfortunately, she is a very difficult character to edge-guard from below due to her umbrella, but if she tries to grab the edge more than once, remember that she loses all invincibility from grabbing the edge after the first time as long as she hasn't been hit. Any down smash should hit her when she grabs again. Out of curiosity, who do you play as?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So having watched a bit of Reflex's Wario for a bit, I've been inspired to try out a couple things.

First off, the bike. A fully charged fart on your bike is incredibly satisfying when they're on the edge. Somehow, a fully charged waft will extend your hitbox down to the ledge, where they can be hit. Plus, it will freeze you in place (possibly with super armor, not sure) and keep the hitbox out. This catches so many For Glory players off guard and normally results in a rage quit for some reason. To quickly put your bike on the edge, you simply run off and crash into the wall immediately. If done right, if will go over the edge and just collapse right there (remember to recover, though!). Also, do you find yourself wheelie-ing off the stage on accident? You might still have a spare bike. As long as you don't start using your bike in the air, you can ride off a cliff, jump off, wait for it to fall off the screen, and use another bike towards the stage. Finding this out now, I can't count how many times this would've saved me when I rode off-stage.

I also looked back on the Rose Waft. I had called it garbage a while back, but it may be better than I thought. It doesn't just put a flower on someone's head, it also has a massive hitbox. For context, if Wario is standing on a platform above you and decides to fart, it will hit you. This move gives Wario a massive, disjointed hitbox, which is something Wario desperately needs. The shorter charge time lets him use the later charges much more frequently than the regular waft. I don't know if it's enough to trade the KO power of the regular waft, but it may not be rear end bad as I thought.

One last general thing I want to point out, ledge-guarding might still be a thing in Smash 4, but in a different way. If someone is on the edge, I try to grab the edge while they're hanging on. The idea is that if they try to grab the edge again and you didn't hurt them, they will not be invincible at all. This is a good way to get in a quick down smash on them while they're going through the "grabbing the edge" animation, possibly for a KO. I've been trying this out to varying successes and failures, but maybe someone can shine some light on this for me.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Maybe it's because everyone's moved on to the WiiU Smash while I'm stuck on the 3DS, but I've yet to play a DK that really left an impression of how much potential he has.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I've really enjoyed most of Little Mac's customs. One of his side-b's let's him spike people off the ledge (or into the ground for some follow ups) and bury his opponents, the other let's him ignore knockback and shields when he recovers with it. His flaming lunge can sorta be used as a recovery when he's launched upwards, while his shocking lunge, though useless on its own, could be useful when playing 2v2. His tornado recovery isn't as useful as it sounds since it doesn't let him go that much higher and loses its KO potential, but the other one sacrifices height for massive KO potential, putting people in danger at around 60%. Both his counters are also solid choices. You can either use the weak counter to follow up with a smash attack and KO uppercut or use the long-range counter to deal with projectile spam and other long-ranged attacks.

It's really the jumping haymaker that makes him so much fun for me.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Heh.

Heh heh.

A challenger approaches.

SA: Bluff Buster
NNID: BluffBuster

So when's the next tournament?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SvHef5L6MIg

What Sm4sh may look like with customs legal

Wow, this makes Palutena look fun to play as. Why can't everybody have Super speed/lightweight as alternative special moves?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Are there any characters in this game that are actually bad? Even Metaknight doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Ruggington posted:

wii fit trainer and donkey kong are both top tier because they both have 3 spikes

I can only think of one for WFT (the down air). What are the other 2?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Holy loving god drat poo poo piss Hard-Mode All Star is the worst thing in the world. They stupidly forgot to make entities that aren't the actual characters have lower knockback, so even though a DeDeDe forward smash doesn't kill you when you're at 120%, a gordo will. Or, for some reason, Olimar's pikmin don't seem to have reduced knockback scaling, and neither does Villager's bowling ball. Also it just sucks. I hate this.

In addition, it seems that they originally wanted stage hazards to be disabled like in the 3DS version, but changed their minds at literally the last minute, so you wind up with a strange scenario where wacky, instant KO stages like Gamer, F-Zero, and that Pikmin stage are okay, but lava in Norfair or Ridley in Pyrosphere is just getting silly.

Yes, it does suck. Especially if you have no hammers to do away with doing them on hard with all characters. Like me.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

zolthorg posted:

No? Its pretty obvious that the background code can only run X many players or X-N players and then N placeholders that control hazards / spawning in the all star opponents / boss characters / etc. Hence why only one or two hazards are taken out of each stage in Allstar, the enemies wait to spawn until whatever active hazard onscreen goes away, and 8 player smash has 0 dynamic hazards.

I don't think that's "obvious" to many people, and I'm certainly not following. What exactly is stopping, say, Ridley from spawning but not the Yellow Devil., who does spawn?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I see. I'm really just whining about how in addition to 3 high-level CPUs ganging up on you that the stages seemed to be joining in too. I guess it's just technical limitations that are giving the slightest bit of mercy then.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

See, I can't get used to the Pro Controller/Gamepad having the stick above the buttons. I'm too used to having my thumb on the c-stick and my fingers on the buttons, and the other controllers have it backwards.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, how do you hold a controller?

For most games, I hold the controller normally, where I've got my right thumb on the buttons and the index finger on the R button. For smash, or for any game where I use the c-stick extensively, I keep my thumb on the c-stick, my index fingers on the A/X button, and my middle finger on the Z button.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Well, it just comes naturally to me whenever I play smash. Dunno what else to say, really. I can hold it up just fine.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Wait, people used the claw grip on Gamecube controllers?

How the - how does that work with the tiny-rear end X and Y?

Like I said, I only use what I suppose is "the claw grip" for Smash, so the Y button doesn't get used at all, at least not by me, and I use my thumb for the B button.

Who are the real monsters?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So why exactly does the c-stick work like that? Seemed like they had it right the last 2 games, no one caught this during play testing or something?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Louisgod posted:

3DS question: Did they by chance improve the AI with the recent patch or take advantage of the extra CPU in the New 3DS? I'm playing it for the first time on the N3DS and the CPU are doing things I've never seen them do, specifically air combos and using moves they never did prior. Their bullshit dodges are even more bullshit but now it's impossible to nail those sweet spot moves (Zelda's kick, Falcon's knee, Peach's slap, etc.). Instead of easily winning with random characters I'm getting my rear end kicked.

If the wiki is anything to go by, apparently the AI had been updated to match the WiiU CPUs, so take that for what you will.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I put the vampire badge you get from completing a challenge and a couple defensive stats on Bowser for that challenge. Got it on my first try. I imagine it'd work well with Ganondorf too, especially if you have that drop kick as a custom special.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I still miss the Mona Pizza song that's not in smash 4 for some stupid reason, along with Mike's song.

Actually, is there some kind of beef with Wario Sakurai has or something? I'm pretty sure he has less music than in Brawl, no new remixes at all, Wario Land doesn't seem to exist at all, his series doesn't get a lot of trophy representation despite, he lost alternate costumes transitioning to Smash 4 (meanwhile, Little Mac gets 16), no masterpiece for either Wario Land or WarioWare, and even Wario himself seems to be sloppily made in this game as he's constantly clipping into himself with almost any kind of movement or attack.

Yes, I do like Wario Land, why do you ask?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

He's a tad slower and heavier. That's usually a recipe for lower on the tier list.

I'm pretty sure he's not, though. The only differences I can notice are the arrows, the side-b arms, and the final smash. If there are any other differences, they must be so minor as to be absolutely negligible.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So I don't know if this has already been posted here, but there are some interesting shenanigans you can pull off with custom movesets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhanK-GQQMY

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I voted for Pichu 'cause I like having a character that's obviously inferior to everyone else.

Am I a bad person? :ohdear:

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm not a Robin main here, but from what I've seen, Robin doesn't really have a great recovery in terms of tricking your opponent since it's so linear. You're probably best off going for the edge and using your thunder/arcfire to disrupt off-stage opponents. You could maybe try to hit the ledge with arcfire to keep a stream of fire on stage to save the edge for yourself, but again I don't play much as Robin so this may not be so accurate.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

You know in Kid Icarus: Uprising, you could dodge all you wanted to, but your dodges would get slower and you'd lose invincibility if you spammed it too much. I wonder if a similar implementation could work in Smash?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

While we're talking Punch-Out, am I the only one who doesn't like the design of Little Mac in Smash as much as the one on the Wii? He just looks too angry and serious all the time, even when he taunts or wins a match.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm hoping for Mute City, 'cause I liked to blow up the cars. Why do they have to be invincible and KO stupid fast in Port Town?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Treebeh posted:

Big Blue was the best stage in Brawl for 4 players. If you were Sonic and got a bunny hood, you could actually run on the track alongside the F-Zeros.

You could also get a real F-Zero machine and use Wario-Man's bike. :colbert:

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Bah, what a sore loser. Mewtwo won't clap for you if he loses. He just looks disappointed in himself.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I feel bad for anyone who plays as Link, Kirby, or Villager. What an awkward arrangement to put the characters in.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Did no one consider that Mewtwo might have special moves that need to be unlocked like everyone else?

Yes. He doesn't have any custom moves. The game even tells you that no others are available when you try to customize him.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Get outta town, Diddy. There's a new top tier character so good that even when he loses, he still wins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrOcFw0AKnA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Sooo ... since tournament mode didn't make it this patch and we have no idea when they'll come out now, maybe we could have some sort of week-end tournament or something.

• Locked thread