Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There is a regular battlefield and a "big battlefield" with like 6 platforms for 8 player matches

what is confusing is that you can still use regular battlefield for 8 player matches anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Having trouble readjusting to not using the 3ds as a controller at this point actually.

Sync that poo poo up man!

As a sidenote it is kinda irritating that you can only sync a 3ds with a copy of Smash in it for use as a controller. It would be rad if they released something to the Nintendo Shop to allow you to sync any 3ds. Some of my friends might have to play with some (yuck) nunchucks or the gamepad when we finally get 8 people together next weekend.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Whenever I'm in the air as Peach it seems like I'm just easy pickings for whoever's on the ground, though.

That is a false impression. Practice your air game and increase your confidence!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Original guy was way lonelier. She at least had someone to hold the camera, he had to draw a caricature of himself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

horchata posted:

Does anyone have any megaman pointers? I either do really good as him or I get 2 stocked by the simplest people

I'm not great but here are some general pointers since I have played him a lot:

- the lemons are kinda weak and short ranged but since you can move while shooting them you can get people to shield and then grab them; I have never been great at reading a shield into a grab but I can do this constantly as MM
- when I grab I like to up throw into an up air since up-airs are huge now; there might be better combos out of down throw though
- side smash is really telegraphed but is great at punishing people who roll too much and also for edge guarding
- the slide (down tilt) is awesome since it moves a good distance, has decent knockback/up, comes out of nowhere and can duck most projectiles
- I usually use forward and back air when approaching because the both do solid damage and have reach
- I have no idea how to use his down-B effectively and his other B's (aside from recovery) seem to have too many drawbacks to use consistently, so I actually don't use them much

Some of this might be helpful and some of it might actually hinder you but they are my playstyle with MM

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not with those stink lines radiating off of him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is actually a really cool write-up but wouldn't it also matter how long the games have been out and the depth that the characters have been explored?

Like on the one hand it seems like the break down of the Marth/Roy Melee match up is incredibly nuanced, probably based on years of studying the ins and outs of the characters and the perfect approach to both of them. Whereas in the Bowser Jr./R.O.B. matchup, they have 3 moves that roughly map to each other so people use them similarly because it gives good immediate results, but I have to believe there are enough differences between these 2 that they should play differently in other situations, even if this one approach is similar.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Like it is actually really cool to hear about stuff like the Roy d-tilt popping opponents up and Marth's pushing them back, and how those differences actually inform their play styles at an advanced level. But then it seems odd to hear R.O.B. and Jr.'s down-B's described as just "putting something on the stage", when they both behave in drastically different ways. It doesn't seem like the same level of detail and advanced understanding is being given in both circumstances, and I have to think there will be more discovered since we are only like 3 months out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

I think it's messed up that they don't instantly kill opponents by footstooling them like they did in Brawl Minus. They have thirty years of experience jumping on goombas, you'd think getting stomped on by them would be more devastating than it is.

If one of the Bros. stomped on a Smasher the way they used to stomp on goombas they would fire the brains out the bottom of his or her rear end. They know it is just a friendly exhibition match, they're not out for blood.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The backpedaling and half-assed justifications after the leak was destroyed did make for an entertaining few weeks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how loving hype it was for a Little Mac to get pulled out and actually take a game.

Yeah and as a Duck Hunt player's counter-pick who then went back to Duck Hunt to win the set and get into the top 8? It was rad as hell basically.

Also every game the Ness/Villager doubles team played in was magic. Even against two of the top players in the world playing what is considered the best character, it looked like their biggest problem was getting in each other's way. If they were a little tighter I think they could've taken it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sharrrk posted:

it doesn't contain luigi either

lol call me when they do a Year of Roy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I would also assume the fact that there is no visual clue of what you are getting into can be irritating. Like currently you get into a fight with Mario and if you have done your research and know your poo poo you are pretty confident of what you can expect. With customs you might be getting a drastically different character, and even if you are aware of every custom setup for every character you won't actually have any idea what he has equipped until he starts pelting you with fast fireballs or whatever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

The sets are literally coded, you go right in knowing exactly what moves an opponent has.

E: like a 1211 Bowser tells you he has the dash claw side special and nothing else.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha. That is what I get for commenting on something I know literally nothing about!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but why wouldn't the dude select Rainman or change the colors or show him in motion playing ?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

he had no right to hurt my hope and feeling

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I assume "Please do the right thing" means honorable seppuku.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Laughing at Trinen's fucken "Challenger Approaching" t-shirt

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Question for people who don't think K. Rool is a good fit nor likely for Smash: gently caress you.

Ummm, yes?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like they designed a bunch of stages and then decided they needed to put the smaller, simpler ones on the 3DS for visibility and hardware reasons, so then they put all the crazy huge and experimental ones on the Wii U. And those are cool occasionally but also overwhelming and gimmicky as hell. I honestly think the stage selection on the Wii U is the worst in Smash history, when looked at as a whole.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smash 4 is my favorite in the series, especially with Nintendo's continuing support with balance patches, but the level and item selection is a mess. Items are hugely disruptive with a ton of Pokeballs and Assist Trophies that completely take over the battle. It's the first time I've found the game more fun without items.

Holy goddamn crap the pokeballs and assist trophies. The worst part of those is how inconsistently effective they are. They can win you the match or do literally nothing.

I feel like the simplest way to at least fix pokeballs would be to only have legendary pokemon appear out of the master balls and don't make any joke ones like Mew. At the end of a stock match last week where it was down to 2 of my friends, the one clearly in the lead got hit with a legendary from a regular pokeball; he had tried to run away but it teleported over to him, knocked him into the sky and did like a 70% damage combo on him. Earlier in that same match he had thrown a master ball and Mew popped out of it doing squat for him. It feels pretty lovely to have luck so heavily against you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ilustforponydeath posted:

So, when it happened, did you laugh about it, or did you immediately post your terrible experience on online forums?

I'm beginning to see two very different sorts of people here.

Uhhh, well I said in plain English that it was a week ago, so not really immediate. Also that it wasn't my experience but my friend's. I have no problem laughing at my friends and I totally did, but I understood his frustration. He didn't post about it on online forums either, he was just mildly annoyed. I only really posted because it came up in conversation and I had a directly relevant thing to say.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

you're a massive baby.

lol really? Man, okay I guess. I play on all stages with items on, I was just relating a wacky experience I saw happen to one of my friends, and how I can see that being frustrating.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just woke up.

Is Smash saved yet, friends?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NTT posted:

there are shulk buffs, and diddy nerfs. We live in the future here, friend

It feels nice waking up in this bright new future

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Bee posted:

What'd they do?

Searching around it looks like:

- Removed the ability to use f-tilts and f-smashes while holding items. In competitive terms this affects MM more since he generates metal blades and can grab them; obviously it affects everyone when you play with items on.
- Changed the way the knockback on his up air works, so it will be harder to combo but easier to get kills off the top of the stage

The rest seems unsubstantiated.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dizz posted:

Too bad the 3DS is poo poo and holding down the WiiU version.

I don't see how it would be functionally that different from Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer. Unless it was more dynamic, with her like swapping in for certain attacks, like a hybrid of ice climbers and duck hunt with maybe a splash of the changing characters.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fibby Boy posted:

Sorry I joked about an obviously bullshit story.

Hmmm M2K got "drunk" with a "friend"... I'm sorry I'm seeing a lot of holes in this story...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chimera-gui posted:

Update: Mewtwo is now available is eShop if you want to download it.

Ahem, please don't refer to Mewtwo as an "it", say "him".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

You might want to forward that to Sakurai....as Mewtwo is called 'it' in game.

:stare:

my god

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tardcore posted:

Everyone can agree Ludwig is the worst koopa kid

Ludwig is great. Named and after a world class composer and styles his hair after him, a very ambitious Koopaling indeed. They are all pretty pro except Larry is kind of generic, most generic name, palette-swap of Iggy and Lemmy without rainbow hair or glasses or crazy eyes. He is still way better than Bowser Jr. who is gutter tier.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

When you think about it all of the Koopalings have their own cool unique thing:

Morton Koopa, Jr. - models himself after the Star Child from his favorite band KISS, reveals the true name of King Morton "Bowser" Koopa
Ludwig Van Koopa - styles himself after our old friend Ludwig Van, favorite Koopaling of classical music lovers
Wendy O. Koopa - a girl, by default the hottest, likes bows and the color pink (like all girls? [source?])
Iggy Koopa - wears glasses which make him the smart one, named after David Bowie character Iggy Stardust
Lemmy Koopa - named after the lead singer of Motorhead, crazy eyes probably indicated a mental disorder which is tragic but cool
Roy Koopa - Cool shaved head and sunglasses, he's our boy
Larry Koopa - named after Larry the Cable Guy since he is just a regular joe, has normalish hair for a Koopa and is just a down to earth kinda guy
Bowser Jr. (note that he does not have the Koopa last name) - jealous of his cool older siblings and kind of a mama's boy, the choice for all lovely little brothers and followers everywhere

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Reiley posted:

e: Iggy Koopa is actually named for Iggy Pop, the DJ on that one GTA4 station.

Hrmmmmm, I'm going to have to go back through my sources and double check the data. Thanks for the insight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I might be getting whooshed on a joke here but the David Bowie character is Ziggy Stardust, anyway.

I am deadly serious about Koopaling etymology and am going to update all of my records with the new information provided by posters ITT. Thank you all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

After much consideration and soul searching I voted for Jeff Andonuts.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It's possible to enjoy two similar but different things.

I think what he is asking is: are they different enough for it to matter?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Little Mac is cool and a good character but his gimmicky way of fighting doesn't always work. It is especially irritating on For Glory 1v1's since there is like one very specific way you have to fight as/against him. It's better when you are messing around with more players/items/more varied stages but then of course there are stages he is basically unplayable on which sucks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SilverSupernova posted:

Buzz Buzz dies.

Luckily he will be resurrected in Smash in 2016 by my vote

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roy probably got in largely because clones are super quick and easy to implement. You already have all the animation and move-set programming done, and you even have a really solid head start on the character model. It's got to be a fraction of the time to make a clone than a full new character. It's not like we would've gotten Ryu and another FE rep or new character if we didn't get Roy, we would have likely gotten Ryu and nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Another weird update: they released an app that lets you use a 3DS as a controller for Smash U without having to own the 3DS version, for $1. Did anyone ask for this?

Lol, I did. Yay!

Guy A. Person posted:

As a sidenote it is kinda irritating that you can only sync a 3ds with a copy of Smash in it for use as a controller. It would be rad if they released something to the Nintendo Shop to allow you to sync any 3ds. Some of my friends might have to play with some (yuck) nunchucks or the gamepad when we finally get 8 people together next weekend.

• Locked thread