Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel stands against a Hamas-ISIS alliance. America cannot let them stand alone.

First troll of the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

So knowing that Abbas is largely a Israeli stooge, how much can he bottle up Palestinians from going into full on resistance mode in the west bank?

Bombing is in fashion this season.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Israel very deliberately made its bed, and now it has to sleep in it.

You can't start an I/P thread without reminding people about Netanyahu's chart skills:

See? He was really trying to tell his just how much of a powder keg he was creating!

"I've hosed up THIS much"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

After the Kincaid and Eastwood Chair versions, this is probably my favorite photoshop phriday.

Easily. I miss real Photoshop threads...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

D1Sergo posted:

My mom posted on Facebook that we should get EVERYONE out of the area, put a fence around it and let no one have it. Thanks mom :colbert:

Both of you are in time out, no retaliatory strikes!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
E: wrong guy

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 18, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Some folks who defend Hamas therefore blame Israel for Hamas' possession of genocidal intent.

:ironicat: Because Israel doesn't have them too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Israel wanted to, Israel has the ability to genocide all Palestinians. Hamas does not have the ability to genocide all Israelis, and it wants to.

No, they've just opted for the slow and steady method of starvation, bombing, and oppressive living conditions. Don't forget encroaching and illegal land siezures and settlements.

Nuke Iran amirite?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pycckuu posted:

I never did such a thing.

Sorry thought I was quoting MIGF :doh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let’s say Hamas had the firepower of Israel and Israel had the firepower of Hamas. What do you think would happen to Israel were the balance of power reversed?

The same thing Israel is already doing :ironicat:

Also: Even Israel has admitted the Palestinians wanting to wipe out Israel is bullshut.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't care how nihilist idealogues arose, I care that they have to die because their actions impact others. So, instead of handwaving the question away, if the balance of power were reversed today, what would happen?

Don't be naive in this consideration.

Again, the exact same thing Israel is already doing

But guess who IS doing it RIGHT NOW in THIS world.

This 'Just asking questions' bullshit makes zero sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

The exact same thing as Israel? No, not at all. They'd be doing the exact same thing as ISIS.

No, they'd be a state roughly the size of Israel.

You know, the one's the British promised before backtracking at the end of World War 1?

But enough about bizarro world...

Is there any likelihood if Israel doing another offensive over this, or can they even risk it what with the amount of negative exposure they got with the most recent one?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Based upon what evidence? Their words, their actions, their endorsements ring different. Hamas is a totalitarian facist organization and must be understood as such when formulating policy to deal with their terror attacks. The more they martyr, the stronger they become.

Versus an oppresive apartheid extreme conservative colonial power :allears:

Could you stop making GBS threads up the thread with 'What ifs' and 'Just asking questions' bullshit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not a what-if. You must bash the fash no matter how 'anti-colonialist' they claim to be.

Nuke Iran amirite?

Please, stop before you get this thread trashed too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably not, if the attacks become more frequent things might change but the thing is that Israel really has no one to fight with in the West Bank it can't really stage another "Defensive Shield" if there is no significant armed resistance, not to mention that going on another large scale war is something Israel probably can't afford financially so soon after Protective Edge.

If things do escalate and mass riots erupt Israel will have to do things differently.

Between locking down Jerusalem from Muslims and the ongoing string of attacks, what do you think their response will be?

I'm hoping for just a lot of flag waving.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just stop engaging MIGF please.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

Arguing about Hamas seems dumb when the recent attacks have been carried out by individuals. I guess the synagogue attack may be connected to the PFLP but I'm not totally convinced.

Israeli leadership can't just bomb Arab cities in Israel and claim victory now. I'm afraid that this is going to get much uglier before it gets better.

Here's hoping it doesn't, Bibi is pissed at countries recognizing Palestine, so he may be itchy enough to show his cards.

However, as long as he has the umbilical cord from the US attached :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nckdictator posted:

Edit:

...and it looks like they demolished the perpetrators homes, way to gently caress it up Israel.

Its like Hulk runs the Israeli Justice Ministry

Lady Morgaga posted:

Do people really think that if Israel become poorer then palestinians situation will improve?

No, more the world scowling at Israel might show that we don't actually think they are as superior as they think they are. But its never going to happen as long as the US is around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

What "world scowling at Israel" even means?

Actually showing disapproval for their actions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

They have both, for the time the cost is too high. The continuation of Palestinian attacks enhances the cycle of demonization and creates an outlet for anger on both sides. Israel's leaders are willing to step up and say, "Attacks on holy sites are wrong, no if ands or buts."

I fail to see any Palestinian political organization coming out with such statements.

Nobody engage MIGF please.

tentative8e8op posted:

Im sorry for my dumb question, but has anyone wrongfully arrested during Israel's initial investigation of their missing/dead hitchhikers been released? I cant find any articles with an update either way, and I remember last time it was brought up they were still imprisoned.

Also, is there ever any legal recourse if a home of an innocent suspect, or an arrestee's relative's house, is wrongfully demolished?

The Israeli's tend to hold onto prisoners they arrest, and in most cases if the house is not demolished, its taken by a local family.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Prisoners and members of organizations which Israel releases have a tendancy to go on to commit terrorist attacks and take Jews hostage.

Nuke Iran amirite?

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_shield#Israeli-Palestinian_conflict

Stop posting in here, please.

fade5 posted:

Really, as soon as the US stops unconditionally supporting Israel, that's pretty much it for Israel being able to do whatever the hell the want. (It's probably still going to take far too long for this to happen.)

And it will probably never happen...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

A mosque with a weapons cache is defiled ground, and not a holy site.

Who needs to occupy, if the situation deteriorates to the point where chemical weapon use is authorized?

But 161 of them? And Hospitals? And bomb shelters?

And, well....jeeze, EVERYTHING.

Baloogan posted:

CommieGIR, please stop making GBS threads up the thread; MIGF is the best poster in here.

:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, 161 of them. It certainly seems like there is a trend where Israel will attack any weapons cache brought to its attention, therefore Hamas creates weapons caches and launch targets around points with pre-positioned recording for propaganda purposes.

Oh shut up, your hypocrisy is showing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Others in the region get to use chemical weapons without losing foreign support; why can't Israel?
-- an argument I anticipate to be used in serious policy discussions within a decade

Its okay, you already cleared Israel for preemptive nuclear strikes on their neighbors, I'm sure you'll sign off on this one.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, 161 of them.

Yeah, the rest of them the Israeli's just take and give to settlers so they can pilfer them.

DarkCrawler posted:

Russia and China both recognize Palestine and have been cultivating relations with Arab and Muslim nations since the Cold War, not going to happen. United States supports Israel only because it's internal demographics and lobbying, there is no military or economic reason or advantage to gain from supporting Israel.

I never thought of it this way...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh my god that loving article:

quote:

“To see Jews wearing tefillin and wrapped in the tallit lying in pools of blood, I wondered if I was imagining scenes from the Holocaust,”

My Imaginary GF posted:

It will be a hybrid of the two: sporatic, spontaneous actions--with no pattern or predictability other than being carried out by Arabs against Israelis--will occur in Israel in conjunction with more organized attacks meant to provoke more spontaneous attacks.

Nope, nothing to do with expanding settlements and the continuing embargo and NOW the ban on Muslims at Islamic holy sites in Jerusalem. Nope. Nothing to do with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you cannot see the context with Jewish presence at the temple mount being a "contamination" of the site, I cannot help you.

They are talking about this, you moron:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosque_of_Omar_(Jerusalem)

Which they are now restricted from going to. Its not just Jewish Holy sites, they are not the only ones that consider that place holy. And considering the legacy that the Israeli government has for letting Jewish settlers strip mosques and use them as clubs, I'd be kinda irked too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Edit: Street battles and unrest in both Jerusalem and West Bank:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/11/palestinians-suffer-israeli-settler-reprisals-20141118185543648426.html

Apparently a mob is preventing them from demolishing the attacker 's homes.

Out comes the super-armored Caterpillars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

Hope no one gets run over. I'm totally against demolishing homes, it feels so childish, but this probably isn't the best case to make a stand on it.

Me too, but considering the demolishing homes has become a tradition, so has the demonstrations.

Libertarians would approve.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree that individuals should have the right to pray in a respectful and dignified manner at the sites historically considered holy under their established religion, without being seen as improper by others at similar sites. Unfortunately, both sides have been demonized to the point where stated-enforced segregation is becoming a necessity; its a viscious cycle, as segregation begets dehumanization begets terrorism begets extreme retaliation begets segregation.

Its almost as if being an oppressive apartheid state has issues :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Use a definition of "oppressive apartheid state" which is narrow enough to not apply to all states in the region yet broad enough to not be reduced to 'because Jews.'

The dog whistle anti-sematism suggestion is really getting old. But they are an oppressive apartheid colonial power, not it has nothing to do with their religion, but they sure do love using their religion as a bat over everyone's heads whenever criticized.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

I don't see how anyone can unironically believe that forced segregation is legitimate means for stability and simultaneously believe Israel is also negotiating in good faith.

Well, the American South did :911:

SedanChair posted:

Apparently crowds are gathering in Jerusalem calling for war. It doesn't even take guns or a car to start a war any more, I guess you can do it with an axe and a knife. Soon enough Israel will be declaring little wars for slipping on a banana peel. *slide whistle noise*

Oh boy...I bet the neighbors are already setting up the couches to watch the bombing campaigns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel does plenty of wrong. Nation-states exist to deprive individuals of absolute liberty, for absolute liberty is anarchy. The question is, why is Israel held to a higher standard in its wrongs than other states in the world, much less the region?

That is very bad reasoning.

quote:

I agree that individuals should have the right to pray in a respectful and dignified manner at the sites historically considered holy under their established religion, without being seen as improper by others at similar sites. Unfortunately, both sides have been demonized to the point where stated-enforced segregation is becoming a necessity; its a viscious cycle, as segregation begets dehumanization begets terrorism begets extreme retaliation begets segregation.

You already sold yourself down the river.

Kim Jong Il posted:

This attack wasn't about settlements. East Jerusalem residents, spurred by nationalism, murdered West Jerusalem residents in cold blood. Not only does it serve no functional end, it's likely that a lot of Palestinians will die in retaliation, and the homes of the alleged murderers will be demolished. Defending/apologizing for this is ghastly, and it's hypocritical too for the subset of those people who rightly complain when Israel is in the wrong.

Yes, the attacks were wrong. Yes, they were ghastly. The head of the Palestinian government has already denounced the attacks.

But, yes, I feel like the Israel's oppressive actions play some part in it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you saying that if Israeli authorities allowed everyone in Israel free access to the temple mount, it wouldn't result in a lot of blood spilled?

What the gently caress does that have to do with your spiel about 'Nation states existing to deprive their citizens of liberty'. Nothing. But, no, the oppressive government probably shouldn't be oppressive.

Which, by the way, suggesting segregation is necessary through action of the oppressive government (the bigger man) pretty much invalidates most of your cheer-leading.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel does plenty of wrong. Nation-states exist to deprive individuals of absolute liberty, for absolute liberty is anarchy. The question is, why is Israel held to a higher standard in its wrongs than other states in the world, much less the region?

:qq: "Israel get's so picked on and they don't know why, doesn't the world remember our suffering in the Holocaust? They must just hate jews" :qq:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sometimes, oppression is necessary. Democratic nations exist to ensure that a population has some say in determining when those times are necessary, and to make oppression about more than "gently caress you give me what I want," where what you want could be anything.

That isn't oppression. You are comparing community moral and social obligations of criminal code to, say, walling people in a giant gently caress off ghetto and embargoing life sustaining necessities.

Having your home/town/farm demolished makes you the oppressed. It is in no way comparable to allowing anarchy by not enforcing the law.

You think it makes you sound intellectual, when it just makes you sound really petty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

both sides having equal culpability and power in the israel/palestine conflict,

I mean, at this point, to justify his really poor comparison:

The actions of the Israelis against the Palestinians is like if there was a school shooting in Alabama by a black kid, so they wall in New Orleans and start bombing it, despite there being no other connection other than culture or color.

Its a really bad comparison.

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's the alternative policy option available to state-enforced segregation. Do you want that? Is that what you would like to see?

Or, and this is just me, they could NOT segregate a people that lived there prior to them establishing their state :psyduck:

You are loving justifying the oppressors. You are literally victim blaming because there was an unconnected crime carried out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

If the protestors in Ferguson begin launching homemade rockets at Clayton, and refused to police themselves and shot at anyone coming in to disarm them, you'd see one hell of a response.

What, the B-52s would warm up and carpet bomb them?

The Israeli's are the bigger man. In a deep set of irony, the POLICE in Ferguson are supposed to be the bigger man too, and they haven't been

Seriously, you are really bad at this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Of religious heresies deviating from obediance to the laws of god?

Yes, this is all about the Jews and their religious stance.

Nothing to do with that segregation you mentioned. Or the air strikes, ghetto, land theft, settlements, embargo, etc. etc. etc.

Like I said, you are really bad at this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

First you send in state guard with authorization to use force. If that fails, you send in the army; if that fails, you wall off the area; if that fails, you continue targeted strikes in response to any continued attacks; if that fails, you cut off the food, water, and sustinance utilities to the area; if that fails, you level the neighborhood and show the world your shame for having to use the M108 when you came bearing an olive branch as a viable alternative.

What loving Olive branch has Israel offered? Please, enlighten us. They've basically demonstrated that its either settlements and land seizures or nothing.

Where do you get this load of garbage?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh good, Insect Court is here.

Its why I emphasized, however it is used in a sort of dog whistle fashion: Accuse others of bigotry or anti-sematism while yourselves practicing bigotry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

israel is completely willing to stop expanding settlements if

The Olive branch is that they will bulldoze your town more SLOWLY.

And without airstrikes.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If their cause is truly about something more than earthly hatreds and desires, it will survive the test of time.

:psyduck: Get. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

...no Arab attack is carried out against Israel for 2 election cycles.

Ha. Great of you to bring this up:

This DID happen. And the Palestinians (and ironically Hamas) kept to their bargain under the assumption that Israel would lift the embargo of the Gaza Strip. Rocket attacks went from common to nothing, which was not only surprising, it was unheard of considering Hamas normally being unwilling to work with the Palestinian Authority.

Guess who didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and MIGHT be why the Palestinians don't exactly trust the Israeli governments promises?

• Locked thread