Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let’s say Hamas had the firepower of Israel and Israel had the firepower of Hamas. What do you think would happen to Israel were the balance of power reversed?

Do you think the ideologies of each party arose completely independently of the material state of affairs between them and the history of how it got to this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
While it's an obviously self-destructive decision that would ruin our position in the region on top of causing massive suffering, that didn't exactly stop the Republicans 12 years ago.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Job Truniht posted:

Who is "nobody else"?

KSA and Israel, I guess?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Would Lieberman be pissed enough at Bibi that he wouldn't enter the coalition?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah, what exactly did he buy with that squandered diplomatic capital? A slightly easier to manage coalition?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

His remaining political career.

The idea being that Jewish Home would supplant Likud as the dominant right-wing party if Likud didn't cannibalize them?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Clearly Netanyahu is waiting Obama out, but I wonder if there's any chance Obama will do something irrevocable, like not vetoing Palestinian recognition. Of course, he doesn't want to gently caress over Hillary, even if he was tempted to change course. It's just depressing to know the next president will reset things.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Eminent domain. Would you prefer that those individuals receive higher rates of compensation? It is unacceptable to shoot at, to carry out acts of violence against, someone who has lawfully purchased land for development or who has lawfully rented land on redeveloped land.

Perhaps the answer is for Palestinians to construct settlements and rent them out to Jews. Have any Palestinians tried that, renting out apartments to Jewish inhabitants?

So actually living on and working the land simply isn't an option for Palestinians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

They could finance their operations like every other governing institution: do the responsible thing and implement taxes combined with non-essential service cuts. Unfortunately, Hamas is not a rational actor, they are a demographic supremacist organization willing to implement only populist policy agendas.

When an occupying state has placed your populace into a siege that not only prevents economic development, but ensures the decay of infrastructure, the occupied government has no means to collect taxes to provide civil services. Do you look at Gazans and see people living high on the hog?

• Locked thread