Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I still can't believe Israel's legal system somehow allows the prime minister to bulldoze someone's home as punishment for criminal action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pycckuu posted:

Sharia Law is awful, and I am glad Israel is fighting on the front lines to defend Freedom, Democracy, and the American Way of Life.

Did the IDF invade Saudi Arabia or what's the deal here

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let’s say Hamas had the firepower of Israel and Israel had the firepower of Hamas. What do you think would happen to Israel were the balance of power reversed?

This is moronic; you can't detach the character of each organization from the material and historical contexts from which they emerged. The answer is that if Hamas somehow had the upper hand, it would be an entirely different organization with an entirely different history and character.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's been, what, four threads at this point and you dumb fuckers still haven't learned to ignore The Insect Court's attempts to de-rail it with accusations of anti-semitism?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

I don't see how. Responsibility falls on those committing the crimes in each case. Even if the actions of others affected the Palestinian militant's decision to attack civilians, the decision was still theirs.

If you're saying Palestinian militants can share the blame for attacking civilians with Israel due to their occupation, would you also say Israel can share the blame for the occupation with Palestinian militants due to their attacks on civilians? As far as I'm concerned each side is responsible for its own war crimes. This still puts Israel is far the worse position due to the greater scope and affect of its war crimes, but I'm not going to try and rationalise the actions of Palestinian militants either.

I'm ambivalent about this; when deciding whether parties do or don't share the blame in a criminal act, you have to look at each party's alternatives. In the case of West Bank settlers, Israel's alternative is clear and not terribly hard to implement: don't institute massive subsidies and government grants for moving into occupied territory (rather, disallow it). In the case of Gazan militants, the alternative of situating themselves away from civilians is logistically impossible.

That said, I don't think it's moral or excusable to go ahead and murder Israeli civilians in the Occupied Territories; at most they can be driven away, citing their lack of a proper deed to the land from the legitimate authority governing the West Bank. If they fight back, then it's okay to use force.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

A lot of people are saying that this is essentially meaningless, but if the provision for dropping Arabic as an official language remains, there are some pretty loving serious implications for the State's democratic character.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Avshalom posted:

What I'm saying is there are a lot of legitimate reasons to criticise Israel, but there are also a lot of people who only bother to do it because it gives them free rein to express, publically and without hope of retaliation, that deep down inside they really loving hate Jews. They're not allowed to just say that we're all greedy devious back-stabbing money-grubbing inhuman lizard people, but now look how Israel is behaving! It's proving the stereotypes! It's not racism if it's true!

It would be nice if you could actually quote these people and explain what makes you think that they're bigots instead of subtly implying, without demonstration, that criticism of Israeli state violence is just a sophistic cover for bigotry. Israel doesn't get "singled out" because people love lovely regimes like Iran's, it gets "singled out" because it's one of the few countries who managed to convince morons that its horrifying violence is actually legitimate and virtuous (America is another).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

If you assume that any given Jew supports awful state violence and annexation of territory through conquest then you're a moron and also a very obnoxious person.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

5. Revoking the ability of the supreme court to overturn Knesset and government legislation.

Uuuh, so basically he wants to get rid of the idea of rights that are protected from parliamentary/democratic whims?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's honestly amazing to me that not even one week passed after Netanyahu's election and he's already given two interviews to two different American television networks to beg for forgiveness for what he said during the campaign. He knows that Israel's current state depends uniquely on American support, and more or less shat his pants when the State Department reacted to his pledge to block a Palestinian state.

You often hear people commenting that the US seems to be subservient to Israel, but that's a load of poo poo. All it takes is a meaningless, mealy-mouthed "we might re-consider our approach" to get big boy Bibi, pants soiled, running to the first big American network who'll give him a platform.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Except what's being reported is that the U.S. government is tired of Lukid making GBS threads all over 60 years of foreign policy. Or do you think the Pentagon quietly released those document about Israel's nuclear weapons for no reason?

It's hard for me to believe that the US has finally decided, after nearly 50 years, to give a poo poo about the rights of Palestinians. The administration knows exactly what's happening on the ground in Palestine, and the idea that anyone at the State Department believed that the Israeli government had any plans to give the land they stole back until they were shocked and blindsided by Netanyahu's election comments is just fantasy.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but my speculation is that the current rhetoric from the Obama administration is meant to sap the heat out of a potential international reaction to Netanyahu's election comments, which is much more serious. The criminal wants to stay in charge of the investigation into his own activity, and when the heat comes around he simply pretends to be trying harder.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

The thread has reached the point where the "facts" introduced by the usual suspects spiral downwards until they're just linking to sites full of theories about the USS Liberty and the Zionist's secret 'Samson Option' plan to annihilate the world.

But I feel compelled, for anyone for whom the mere mention of the existence of Israel does not cause a jaw-clenching keyboard-pounding rage against the colonial apartheid Nazi South African genocidal settler entity, that you are completely and totally false. Hamas has decidedly not endorsed a two-state solution, although I will note that the occasional I/P poster occasionally pops up to try to reinforce that particular delusion.

Back in 2008:

quote:

Carter was back in Jerusalem this week to brief Israeli leaders on his talks with [Hamas political leader Khaled] Meshal regarding a proposed truce between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip as well as an exchange of prisoners between them.

The former U.S. president told reporters in Jerusalem on Monday that Hamas leaders said they would accept a peace agreement negotiated by their rival, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, if Palestinians approved the deal in a vote.

"They said they would accept a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders if approved by Palestinians ... even though Hamas might disagree with some terms of the agreement," Carter said in a speech, after talks in Syria and Egypt with Hamas leaders.

Again in 2013:

quote:

Hamas’s political chief Khaled Mashaal has apparently expressed his support for a two-state solution to end the Israeli-Arab conflict, the Saudi Al-Sharq newspaper reported on Wednesday.

According to the report, which was based on comments from Jordanian officials, during a meeting this week with Jordan’s King Abdullah II, Mashaal expressed his organization’s support for an agreement that would see the establishment of an independent Palestinian state based on the pre-1967 borders.

You can argue that there have been contradictory statements, that they changed their position (although they offered a 10-year truce again in 2014) or that Jimmy Carter was lying (lol), but "completely and totally false" is a load of poo poo, and so are you.

Seriously though, why do you still post here? You have never ever contributed anything of worth. Your post can be directly contradicted by five minutes of googling for English-language Israeli sources, and when you're not demonstrating your belief in a reality that is the opposite of this one, you're smearing posters with innuendo about anti-semitism. Can you just gently caress off?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah let's go ahead and compare a colonial conquest with an intra-state struggle for rights, as a total moron I see no discrepancy that would sink the comparison.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The easiest way to destroy public support for the Palestinians' cause is to tie all Jews worldwide with Israeli state violence. They're definitely morons, and probably anti-semitic.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Why would Israel bother to pay for any parcel of land when it can just send in a brigade to "confiscate" it?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

That's cool and all but let's swing back to the refugees who got blown up as they took shelter in UN refuges some 50 years later.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

MIGF, does UNRWA have any sort of combat capacity?

If not, why doesn't it?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Did the UN operations in the region have a combat capacity at a previous point?

2. Did that combat capacity ever move out of the way of arab armies so that they could "drive the jew into the sea"?

I already addressed this two posts ago, yet your myopia on 'Israel=Bad!' prevents you from seeing clearly the historical development of the current conflict.

Why did you start posting at this point if you had no intention of talking about 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Turns out the whole story about dropping pamphlets to warn civilians of an attack is useful as more than just propaganda -- you can make the nice argument that anyone who didn't leave after they were dropped is obviously an enemy combatant who can be shot on sight, regardless of the circumstances.

• Locked thread