Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miri Regev, of "refugees are a cancer" fame, condescends to the most minimal standards of hypocritical moralistic platitudes with "Not all Arabs are bad, I have some Arab friends" and is immediately assaulted by a wave of "leftist traitor whore" comments. Fun times ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm Finnish. My government does not support Israel and the populace near universally hates the country. :)

Just out of curiosity, would you smilie face at any other country your people hate? You have an actual reason to hate, let's say... Russia. Would that be a smilie face occasion?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is it that people believe that hatred of Slavs is nonexistent today? Have you never heard a Polish joke, or seen people baying for Russian blood? Why doesn't saying Japan is "creepy" bring down tedious narcissists like The Insect Court?
One of my hyphens is in fact "Russian", so... yeah. (To be honest, I have heard a great deal about Russophobia - from Putin-jugend types)

The thing is - as an enlightened left-wing person type, you probably wouldn't consider any of the above to be a positive.

quote:

Only in the case of Israel does detesting a country's policies mean hatred of an entire ethno-religious group.
gently caress right off with that disingenuous bullshit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

...I guess in a similar context?
What is the context in which you'd go "we Finns really hate Russians :)"?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

down with slavery posted:

"Russians" =/= Israel
I'm going to agree with this one?

quote:

But bravo on trying to equate a country with an ethnic group, funny how that keeps happening.
Yeah, "funny". Almost as if there is a huge overlap de jure and an almost complete overlap de facto?

quote:

Israelis =/= Israel
Russians =/= Russia
Americans =/= America

Get it?
No, because that's a distinction that only works in a vacuum? You don't really meet people (IRL, not in academic/internet discussion) who go "I hate Russia but I'm perfectly fine with the Russian people".

Instead, it's generally يمارس الجنس مع الكيان الصهيوني and "all Israilis are killers"
Or янки го хом and "stupid pendosy".

All of the above is fairly obvious and kinda besides the "hatred of countries and ethnic groups is generally not viewed as a positive element in left-wing discussions" point made above.

vvv

Effectronica posted:

It's not disingenuous. If someone writes or talks about how they hate ISIS (an avowedly Muslim state), nobody assumes they want to kill all Muslims.
That would be a better point if ISIS was an ~actual~ state, rather than an insurgency movement. Works kinda worse when applied to an actual Muslim state, such as Iran.

quote:

If someone writes that they wish the US had nuked Japan more, we mark them down as racist (outside of SomethingAwful, at least) but don't assume they go around murdering Japanese-Americans or burning crosses on their lawns.
Yes to the first part, not sure why or where we're whirring off for the second part?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 21, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

down with slavery posted:

[citation needed]
Go outside and talk to people? Be stupid enough to actually engage taxi/bus drivers in conversation?

Effectronica posted:

This will almost certainly fall on deaf ears, but did you know that the American invasion of Iraq brought much more anger than the Russian invasion of Ukraine?
It may help you if you assume that the only point I'm trying to make is the one I'm actually making.

(Seriously though, I've spent the last week talking to people and watching them switch what you're saying off and replace it with a representation of what their brain thinks you should be about is something that annoyed me a great deal IRL... so I'm going to rant about it ineffectually on the internet, I guess?)

Not to steal Absurd's "I'm on of the good ones" shtick, but you can go through my post history in the previous thread or just... stop making assumptions about what I'm trying to say here based on "he seems to be defending Israel, that fucker" reflexes.

DarkCrawler posted:

Some shitposter accuses my country of being an Russian ally?
But there's an ancient historic brotherhood between our people :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I eagerly await when you use the same excuse to justify US SWAT teams assaulting parking garages as drug havens because a trafficker parked their car there a week ago. :allears:

I believe that's called "civil forfeiture".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can we institute a rule wherein one decent article pertinent to the CURRENT crisis/spate of violence must be posted per page?
Sure. After last weeks Har-Nof synagogue attack, members of the Jordan parliament observed a minute of silence in memory of the shahids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9a-WPE8nI

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Jordanian-parliament-observes-moment-of-silence-for-terrorists-of-synagogue-attack-382433

"nrg posted:

Parliament member Mahmeh Alkatasha (?) asked the council to also formulate a statement condemning the Zionist attacks on Jerusalem following the heroic acts of the Abu-Jamal brothers.

I now completely understand how hatred of the Zionist entity by no means extends to hatred of the Israeli people.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

http://mekomit.co.il/%D7%9C%D7%90-%...A0%D7%99%D7%9D/

I assume an English translation will appear soon enough on 972 but this is interesting and damning so I'll post my own summary
Remember how I started translating בעצם הכלב: 40 שנה לסטירה הישראלית in the last thread?

"We cannot allow a repeat of what happened in Hebron - a Jew lying injured, while other Jews think he is an Arab and therefore, quite rightly, keep running and shooting so as to strike down more Arabs, rather than stop beside him to give him the medical aid necessary to save his life.

We cannot allow this, for how can a Jew walk down the street while fearing in his heart of hearts that should he fall down - other Jews might mistake him for an Arab? Who would dare sit behind a stirring wheel? Who would allow himself to take the tiniest of risks, if there is even the slightest chance that should he be injured - he'll be considered an Arab?

So far we have considered the crochet yarmulke to be a sure sign of a Jewish ID, until the murder in Hebron took place, and we found out that when a man is wounded and falls down, the yarmulke may slip off his scalp, suddenly turning him into just a regular person - that is; a potential Arab. So obviously the Yarmulke cannot be trusted. As it turns out, a four-winged tallit, even combined with a tzizit, may be easily confused for a disarrayed keffiyeh - and so doubt strikes once more at an honest man's heart: An Arab? A Jew? Save? Or leave dying?

It appears that the most obvious lesson from the tragic affair in Hebron is that it's time to stop relying on improvised and outdated distinguishing properties such as yarmulkes or kaffiyah's. We are living in the 20th century, and it's high time to make sure everyone wears appropriate and easily distinguishable forms of ID.

[You can see where this is going, I'm sure, so let's skip a few paragraphs belaboring the punchline)

With those badges in place, there is no possibility of such an awful occasion repeating itself, and an injured Jew being mistaken for an Arab. We can walk down our streets safely and in high spirits, wearing our national identity on our sleeves. After all, what else was the state of Israel established for?"

Joshua Sobol, "Hotem", 1983(!)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am sure you will all be relieved that the age-old tension between Jewish and Democratic [url=]is set to be resolved[/url].
Eh. Political Science 101 (right after "the difference between 'ought' and 'is'", as noted by Yltaya): proposed legislation means anything between little and nothing. If and when the law actually is actually enacted (without being struck down by the wrath of heavens Supreme Court) we'll have something to discuss (beyond the obvious "Netanyahu is a huge rear end in a top hat).

Do a comparison between the current, "softer" version and the previous one, if you want to actually say something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm only familiar with "a national of country X" as bureaucratese for "citizen". You seem to be using "national" and "citizen" as different terms - what does "national" mean in that context?

You occasionally use "Israeli" and "Jewish" interchangeably, which I assume is not your actual intention (e,g: "the same number for Israeli children")

You're using a green Magen David as a representation of the Arab share of Knesset seats etc... ?

Language: You need an "even though Arabic has the official status of etc etc" at the start of that section. Otherwise it comes off as confusing at best.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Actually (most) Jews do learn Arabic, well, there's a choice between Arabic and French in the 7th grade but most students go with Arabic. It's definitely doesn't receive as much focus as English where every Israeli student has to study English for 9 years starting at the 3rd grade culminating in a matriculation exam in the 12th grade.

(I went with French, it was easier. I don't actually know any French).
Yes, but there are a number of matriculation exams you're required to pass in order to get your high school diploma. Hebrew and English, for example. Hell, Sports. But not Arabic (or French).

Not sure if making sure everyone actually speaks Arabic would help, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

A ballad to a Druze, by Yonatan Gefen. (I wanted to link to an article someone posted fairly recently comparing the Sikh and Duze positions as "plucky warrior cultures" co-opted by the Brits and Israelis here, but I can't seem to find it)

בכפר ירוק במורדות הכרמל,
נולד בן נאמן למדינת ישראל.
למד בבית הספר, בנים לחוד,
שתי שעות מוחמד ושלוש שעות ציונות.
דהר קדימה, עם הרוח שנשבה,
בגיל שמונה עשרה התגייס לצבא,
דווקא לסיירת ואחר כך קורס קצינים.
מפקדיו התגאו בו וחילקו לו ציונים
ואמרו: נו עם הדובון ועם העוזי
מי יכול היה לראות שהוא דרוזי?

בקרית שמונה מול אש ורוצחים
הוא רץ ראשון ושלף אקדחים,
וראשון נפל במעלה המדרגות,
פצוע קשה ורגליו משותקות,
ואלה שפינו אותו כבר הודיעו בחדשות:
עם הדם שנשפך על הדובון והעוזי-
מי יכול היה לראות שהוא דרוזי?

למחרת, בהפגנה,
אחיו של הפצוע בוכה בפינה.
ולפתע, מבלי שקודם יחשוש,
הוא מתחיל לקבל אבנים בראש,
משום שבלי הדובון ובלי העוזי
כולם ראו עד כמה שהוא דרוזי.

In a green village at the feet of Mount Carmel
A loyal son is born to the state of Israel
Taught at his school (a boys only class)
Two hours on Muhammad and three on Zionism to pass
He rushed ahead with the tailwind
And joined the army at eighteen.
Specifically into the Sayeret and then an officers course
His commanders took great pride, of course. (I believe I'll stop trying to rhyme now)
And they said; with the Doobon and the Uzi,
who on earth can see he's a Druze?

At Kiryat Shmona, facing a murderers fire
He forged ahead with his gun drawn
And was the first to be wounded and collapse
badly injured, his feet paralyzed
And the medevac crew told the news:
With that blood being spilled on the Doobon and the Uzi, who on earth can see he's a Druze?

The next day, the demonstration starts
while the wounded hero's brother cries aside
When suddenly, without a word of warning
he starts taking stone throws to the head
Because without a Doobon and with no Uzi
it was all too clear he's a Druze.

Shame I can't find any recording of the ballad being performed. The Israeli internet kinda sucks that way.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 29, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Shortly after the Six Day war, the interview collection The Seventh Day ("Siah Lohamim" or "Warriors Speak") was published. Even though it was intended to counteract the aggressive arrogance that dominated Israeli Zeitgeist after the Six Day war, it encountered the typical reaction reserved for liberal zionist self-expression - anger at the tearful confessions from the right/center, including the mainstream Kibbutz movement, and the (now longstanding shorthand) expression "Shooting and Crying" from the left. I'm not sure if said expression hails directly from this parody or it's just the most famous work to make use of a popular joke to say something fairly poignant, but...

It's a bit bloated, the first half establishing the scene more than anything, but the second half is just pure gold.

"Back when they were going through their Hakshara, Zeev said that without strength, nothing can be built here, and Sonia agreed. But then Sonia said that without morals, nothing will be left here, and Zeev agreed.

So they decided to call their first boy "Shooting", and raise him to shoot, and call their second boy "Crying" and raise him to cry.

So it goes.

But in the evening, when Shooting would come back from his target practice, Sonia, who believed that without morals there will be nothing left here, would also teach him to cry.

And when Crying came home from his crying practice, Zeev, who believed that without strength nothing can be built here, would also teach him to shoot.

So Shooting and Crying went forth into the world.

Every time there's a war on, Shooting and Crying are the first to volunteer, because that's how they were raised.

They fight like lions, fly like eagles, and kill without peer. "Shooting and Crying are our finest youth", the commander would say after every battle.

But when the war is over, Shooting and Crying go home and write. Songs and stories and journals and books about the evil of wars, the ugliness of destruction and the awfulness of killing.

Because that's how they were raised.

When in the government, Shooting and Crying always vote according to the decree of their conscience; but always, when the opposite decision is made, they have no choice but to implement it completely.

"We don't agree with a single word in the decision", Shooting and Crying tell the journalists, "but we will give our lives to make it happen".

But Shooting and Crying are not hypocrites. So every night, before they sleep, they malign the decision, to gain the strength needed to keep carrying it out tomorrow.

When Shooting and Crying settle somewhere, they, like everyone else, kick out those who were there beforehand.

But Shooting and Crying, unlike everyone else, are, in principle, against the expulsion of those who were there beforehand.

Shooting and Crying will occasionally even attend a demonstration for the rights of the expelled to return to their land. Then they go home to sow and reap.

For they sow in tears but reap in joy - Shooting and Crying.

Shooting and Crying aren't stupid, so, when they see things aren't going so well, they decide to protest so that things might get a bit better.

So Shooting and Crying form a gathering and declare that things aren't that good, and someone should do something.

Then they go home, but things keep going poorly regardless.

So Shooting and Crying gather once more, and declare that things are honestly getting quite bad, and someone should really do something.

Then they return to their homes, but things keep going as they go.

So Shooting and Crying gather for the final time, and declare that things aren't going that well, and are getting quite intolerable really, and something must be done: so they are forced to support (with due reservations, of course) the current situation, because otherwise things might get even worse, and the present fairly-bad-situation is still better than the non-present far-worse-situation, so they publish a protest petition in support of the current situation.

Things immediately turn not-so-bad, and they go home.

Whenever the Turklin Caves are demolished to make room for a housing project [Apparently those caves were demolished so well that not a single trace is left on google] Shooting and Crying are there, and they cry twice.

Once, for grief as the destruction of a natural treasure. Then, again, for joy for the continued settling of the land.

For Shooting and Crying greatly love nature and the land both.

Once a year, Shooting and Crying will visit a slum, or a poverty protest, and will be shocked and hurt. "Wherefore the poverty?" ask Shooting and Crying in shock. "Why the pain?" they ask in poverty. "How the shock?" they ask themselves in pain. "From where this distress?" they ask in distress. [Probably the most problematic translation in the whole skit. In the original, every question is a synonym for "From where X", which didn't really work for me. Any suggestions would be welcome]

They have a lot of poignant questions, Shooting and Crying.

In the occupation army.

Shooting and Crying are opposed to the occupation, so they love to serve in the occupation army.

Shooting and Crying love their service, because in the occupied territories they can shoot and cry as much as they will.

They shoot because they are not wanted there.

They cry because they are not wanted there.

They shoot because they cry. They cry because they shoot.

With one hand Shooting and Crying are shooting, and with one eye Shooting and Crying are crying.

It is so lovely to see Shooting and Crying shooting and crying Shooting and crying shooting and Crying.

So it goes.

Shooting and Crying. "

העולם הזה, 15.12.1976

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, considering that the Jewish leadership actually supported the Partition Plan while Palestinian and other Arab leaderships opposed it, that's kind of the exact opposite of how it was at that point in time.
Actually, I believe you'll find that the nefarious Zionists were always plotting to steal the land of Palestine for themselves.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is awesome. Thanks for digging this up!
For a given definition of awesome, sure.

The thing is - everyone are familiar with the phrase (and the basic English gist of "shooting and crying" is also fairly common) - but I don't think the whole thing was ever translated AND I could only find the original in one spot online.

As I said before, the Hebrew section of the internet is fairly terrible (in general, but also in the sense of not really bothering to shift the cultural experience of previous generations into cyberspace)

Anyways, spam it around a bit, see if it gets any reactions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think so, which is weird tbh. And probably a completely intentional 'oversight' by Channel 2 and the papers publishing the story.
?
Hadash was always "counted" as an Arab party.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lately I'm sort of starting to doubt that people are capable of empathy period, but let's give this a try:

You walk into the wrong neighborhood (motherfucker). I walk up to you and punch you in the face, then steal the cash from your wallet.

At which point I go "hey, anyone else would have been looting your violated corpse by now".

Does that actually make you feel better, even if true? Does it change how you're going to act?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 3, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

At this point, what difference does it make?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I know it's kind of a racist orientalist cliche but for me (and I think for many others) this conflict is particularly painful cause despite the colonialist nature of the zionist enterprise there was absolutely no need for things to get to this point, not only could the Israelis and the Palestinians co-exist peacefully but it could have been a mutually prosperous relationship for both people and a stabilizing influence on the entire region.

1. "racist orientalist cliche"?

2. People tend to bring up "but it's not just Israel-Palestine, it's Israel-Arab World" when discussing Israel's actions, where it's less than entirely relevant. But if you're talking about could have beens, you have to account for the fact that the Arab world did its level best to turn this into an eternal conflict.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare: This Israeli civilian is literally more professional than US police.
Not to go all TFR on you, but shooting someone in the feet is "literally" the least "professional" thing you can do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

Also edited out was the old "Black people arrived in South Africa after White people" arguement.
An empty land for a people without one. I believe I've heard this one before (in Canada. Obviously.)

How is South Africa doing nowadays, anyways? The only things I've heard recently are generic "now that black people rule themselves, they hosed up everything and are still attacking white farmers" stuff.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

In standard ritualistic fashion, the Military Police started investigation in a dozen or so cases (or whatever the correct term is. Violations? Accusations?) made during Cast Lead.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Sarcasm aside, I'm popping in to ask a quick question: did Bibi or Israel in general ever actually manage to provide evidence that supported their claim that Palestinians killed the three teenagers or did a couple thousand people die and we have to take their word for it?
You're behind on your narrative. Now it's "did Bibi or Israel in general every actually managed to prove this rogue lone-wolf unaffiliated and independent wing of the Hamas killed these teenagers on the direct (signed and notarized) written orders of the Hamas leadership?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

10$ that man never actually said "Kill all Jews", any takers?
I'll take this bet. Which you're gonna regret. Because... it's a really stupid bet.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 9, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

A report with a video. Don't have sound at work so I can't listen myself to try and resolve this important dispute.
Well?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The last time Avoda was in charge was for a year or so after the 1999 election where Ehud Barak was prime minister and withdrew IDF forces from Lebanon after nearly two decades of occupation, this didn't go too well with the Israel public who dubbed him Ehud "Barah" (who ran away)
Yeah, that's definitely why he got that nickname.

And of course the problem with the withdrawal from Lebanon was that the Israeli public loooooooooooves occupation in all its forms, not that it was a hugely incompetent clusterfuck.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Thanks for the correction, top notch snark as well.

And all the evidence demonstrates that Israelis love occupying territories, can you deny this?
Happy to be of service for all your "yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but on the other hand Аувнл" needs.

quote:

Also, are you gonna buy me that plat upgrade or not?
No, but I'm waiting for you to buy me one :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay. You know what? This piece, saying:

" At least one witness said he heard Peters repeatedly saying, "Kill the Jews!" according to Rabbi Chaim Landa, a Chabad-Lubavitch spokesman.

Police were still interviewing witnesses but quoted Peters as saying instead, "I'm going to kill all of you." The case was not immediately classified as a possible bias crime."

Convinces me. I'm buying emanresu plat.

ETA: Okay, I have a code for you, I'm going to need some kind of contact info. You can email me at absurd.alhazred@zoho.com
Every goddamn video out there starts with the police arriving or abridges things considerably. Took a bit of digging to find this one, hope it stays online long enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZeJaB-ESwc

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But you know, for Arutz 7 he will always be a terrorist leader, cause, you know.
You know, it might be cause of all the terrorism.

You know?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

even if they shook hands with Clinton.
There's only some much whitewashing Clinton can do in one sitting.

In other news, an actual witness. But hey, how reliable are those?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Otherwise I'm gonna need a contact adress.

Username at gmail, and I'd actually like a "change another's avatar" coupon right now. :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

למה אתה מניאק? הדוד מאמריקה מנסה לסדר הכל ואתה בא והורס? רבאק.
I don't think money made from this enormously stupid bet deserves to be treated in a constructive manner.

In other news, what does Tintin have to do with anything? (Ask google translate, I suppose)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I sent you the plat upgrade, that's what you're getting, now settle down.
Except that's not what the bet terms were? Please stop trying to "us" me :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

quote:

while the wounded hero's brother cries in the order
Err. Might have been sheer translation fatigue right there. Let's try to come up with something at least a bit less word-saladey.

In other news, I never did get a link to that Sikh-Druze thing. I'm pretty sure I saw the original link in D&D, while we're at it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Edit: YNET posted a recording of the comm lines during the massacre of Shujaiya, it's mostly just IDF soldiers panicking out of their minds one particularly damning snippet I thought was noteworthy "Get the tanks into this loving (refugee) camp and lift it up into the sky". Hell of a pinpoint operation.
Have you considered actually posting a link there? Because google and the front page of YNET are at a loss.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The same basic story pops up every few years. An oddly decent source is typing site:snopes.com israel into google.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nobody learns anything from history, do they? Armed+unemployed=bad. :doh:
I'm reading through Roman history right now, and my first association is ever single imbecile of an emperor who decided to stop paying the legions / Praetorians, and was then immensely surprised do find himself decapitated and tossed into the Tiber.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'd like a link to the last one / similar compilations, if anyone has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As Netanyahu is trying to score PR points using the massacre in Paris it's worth noting that the jewish democracy in the middle east has a pretty shoddy track record when it comes to respecting the freedom of speech of Palestinian dissenters, even caricaturists:

quote:

The Israelis knew the Palestinian satirical cartoonist Nagy el-Ali el-Adami was to be assassinated in London in 1987 by his countrymen. The British were not told because Israel did not want to expose its double agents in the PLO's London-based cells.
How awful of them. (You're a very very stupid person)

• Locked thread