Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Venom Snake posted:

What in the ever motherlovingfuck. Are you unironically defending Bibi defending Hitler :wtc:

No he is saying that lying is good as long as it hurts people he doesn't like. Wait poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Insect Court posted:

So you were just bullshitting when you talked about wanting to see anyone who explicitly or even implicitly supported or justified violence arrested and locked up?

At least when you talked about applying it equally to everyone. I don't see you reconsidering your position on locking up rabbis for incitement.

What is your opinion on this tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jeez, I knew IC really hated Arabs, but not that much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

I agree with you that the far right is gaining and it's extremely troubling, but your argument is not far off logically from Bibi's Palestinians=Hitler rhetoric, since Palestinians support their far right much moreso than Israelis theirs. Either people are going to whine about the far right forever or they can do something about it, stop enabling extremists, and work towards de-escalation and the peace process.

Earlier today I was reading about BDS activists complaining about Zionist efforts to boycott their organizations, and it's really curious how much tunnel vision there is on this topic.

Do you have any proof of the first part, because I got to take anything you say with a grain of salt after the whole it's okay to lie as long as it makes a bad guy look worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I see nothing wrong with my post.

Like I am honestly not sure what is wrong with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Come back here thinking something huge has happened in Palestine/Israel. Find out its people screaming about Nazi comparisons.

It's an effective rhetoric device, when you don't want to address something in a meaningful manner, to try to make it a semantics argument. It's effectively the tone argument for genocide. Also used whenever you get Serbs talking about the Balkan Wars of the 90's.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nobody's putting a gun to anyone's head insisting they propose and defend spurious comparisons to the Nazis for pages at a time. It's an easy derail to end by just not doing it. Then we can actually talk about what's actually happening in Israel and/or Palestine.

Are you talking about this?

No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to defend the Israelis because the words are to mean for you but here we are. I would explain further what I mean but I think you are misinterpreting me on purpose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So, again, you're defending it as hyperbole that you think has the proper emotional charge, rather than whether or not it is merited by the evidence. Why should we bother even collecting evidence or defining anything if all we want is to provoke the appropriate level of moral outrage? Mind you, this is misguided, because while it might shock some people on the fence to side with you, others will be taken aback, making the easier prey for apologists for the Occupation and other crimes committed by past and present Israeli governments to completely dismiss criticism.

Is a DA insisting on indicting a person for manslaughter instead of homicide because they don't feel that the evidence merits the stronger charge "defending" that person, or trying to make sure that it would stand up in court?

It's not a "defense" of Israelis to insist that people use terms properly. I could easily turn this hyperbole back onto you and say that you're defending Israelis by insisting on using spurious, prima facie unwarranted accusations to make it harder for lesser accusations to be taken seriously.

The da is doing his job and unless this is your job this doesn't work. So inaccurate comparisons are fine for you but not me eh? Granted I am not being hyperbolic/inaccurate in the slightest but let's pretend you are correct, for a change of pace.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I bet you people don't see the results of the various U.S. Indian policies as genocides either.

Or the Armenian genocide as one. Because neither fit the criteria layer down in the threat.

Hell I think only like two would count.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Believe what you want I don't really care.

Didn't expect you to fall apart so quickly tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Talking about "you people" and ascribing convenient arguments to general stereotypes of opponents is exactly the kind of hyperbole that is right now making this a worse thread. If he wanted actual answers he could read the past couple of pages which actually did go over the Native American example, and argued specific points with specific people.

Oh you just don't know what hyperbole means now it all makes sense. This could also be a deflection. Maybe both? I dunno neither would surprise me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus there was that whole thing were HAMAS actually did decently when a asked for a ceasefire and Israel broke it anyway because gently caress you. The idea they give a gently caress about HAMAS is laughable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually no - recognizing minorities as different is stage 1. Stage 2 is a group having traits or symbols that can distinguish them as an Other- for example the star of David for Jews. Basically - having a way to identify a minority is a prerequisite for effectively going after them.

As the theory notes, symbolization is a universal human act and it's only problematic when it begins to be used as a targeting symbol for hate.

So I'd put stuff like hijabs into that category. Maybe beards too.

Plus it seems to be a step by step guide, so yeah if you are going to genocide someone you have to identify them and be aware they exist. I don't see the problem he is having or how this is diluting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

Maybe we can just call it a series of genocidal acts?

Nah don't give into his dumb handwringing, call a spade a spade and let him try and refute it. If the topic so far is anything to go by, it will at least be funny watching him try.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No, not really, only those who think that the actual definition of the word is not important because "checklists", are you now in that camp as well?

So far the prominent arguments supporting this 'uncontroversially accepted' notion of Israeli genocide are:
1. It doesn't fit the definition nor enjoys any sort of consensus but definitions are made by first world oppressors and the allies of zionists. -This is what you believe I gather?
2. Genocide isn't about killing ethnic\religious\cultural groups, it's a set of events which if exist in unison might constitute more and more severe genocide. -This notion was in my opinion thoroughly disputed by Main Paineframe.
3. Definitions aren't important, using words to evoke action is. - Which as I noted, is not even an argument about the definition of genocide, it's an argument about how it's ok to lie for a good cause.
4. At the current rate stretched to an arbitrarily period of time Israel is likely to completely exterminate every single palestinian in Gaza, therefore this is genocide. - Sure if that happens that would be genocide, only there's no guarantee any of this is true, despite the sorry state Gaza has been in since the war people have not been dying in droves and the population is still growing.
5. At the current rate stretched to a century from today Israeli policy is sure to kill of every palestinian in the west bank. -This is pure conjecture, I do not presume to have such predictive abilities nor do I believe in historical determinism.

Are there more "refutations"? Did I miss some? Is this enough handwringing?

Now sure I may have done disservice to some of these arguments through my indelicate strawmanning, but this is generally the gist of things. In anyway, if you're just gonna hide behind the skirts of other posters and cheerlead while having no more contributions short of your semi nonsensical posts from yesterday well, just let me know.

This one demonstrates positions 1 & 3.

What no it doesn't, I am using the word as it is commonly used but mostly in cases were the perpetrators don't exist anymore which is a bit hypocritical (or at the least cowardly) in my opinion.

I am sorry the fact you don't know what words mean upsets you so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You are the the one that started this unsupportive argument with your whole HAMAS thing. So get off your high horse mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Still clinging to the HAMAS thing huh?

• Locked thread