Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im sorry for my dumb question, but has anyone wrongfully arrested during Israel's initial investigation of their missing/dead hitchhikers been released? I cant find any articles with an update either way, and I remember last time it was brought up they were still imprisoned.

Also, is there ever any legal recourse if a home of an innocent suspect, or an arrestee's relative's house, is wrongfully demolished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

resurgam40 posted:

Oh my, it seems Abbas is going ahead with signing the Rome Statute.

A last desperate attempt to save PA, or one last blaze of glory before death? I know the UN vote failed, but is joining the ICC really the best step at the moment? It's just that the PA seems lioke the only real authority or protection the Palestinians have, and if that goes... what's left?

Im sorry for my dumb question but will such a move as ICC jurisdiction remain in effect if the Palestinian Authority ceases to be a distinct entity itself?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

If I'm reading right, she was still going to make her trip to attend a ceremony for a Swedish Holocaust hero, but she had to cancel when she was not allowed a security detail.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Motherfucker, when Abe Foxman tells you you've gone too far, you ain't good for the Jews, and I don't care what Habbad says.

Tzachi Hanegbi, Israel’s deputy minister of Foreign Affairs posted:

The Republicans know, as the president has already made clear, that he will veto this legislation [the Iran sanctions bill]. So in order to pass legislation that overcomes the veto, two-thirds are required in the Senate. So if the prime minister can persuade another one or two or another three or four, this could have weight.
:crossarms: I thought his job was to not so cleanly and bluntly say that Netanyahu's trip's purpose was influencing American legislation. Like, can't openly saying what's normally just commonly accepted turn around to bite them even worse?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I just did some fast adding and I'm getting ~6.3 million Jewish citizens to ~6 million Arab citizens(~2 and a half million in the West Bank, ~1.8 in Gaza and ~1.7 in Israel). If Im reading right, only the ~1.4 million Arabs living in non-Jerusalem Israel can even be eligible to vote in (Israeli)national elections.

I don't think a one state solution is a good thing to try without a big cultural change :ohdear:

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 12, 2015

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

durbin posted:

We offered the Prime Minister an opportunity to balance the politically divisive invitation from Speaker (John) Boehner with a private meeting with Democrats who are committed to keeping the bipartisan support of Israel strong. His refusal to meet is disappointing to those of us who have stood by Israel for decades.
I think things might get really weird if Netanyahu somehow turns American support for Israel into just another partisan issue.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Does the biggest party not in a leading coalition have any special say-so?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I think their release is as much for partly disarming critics of an Iranian nuclear deal as it is for showing disapproval of Israel's government.

e, you said it better:

Dolash posted:

I look forward to this entering the discourse on the Iran nuclear deal, since I assume that's the reason to leak it now. Signalling that if Israel tries to sabotage the deal then America will give them the headache of being an undeclared nuclear state is a pretty clever threat, especially since it's hard for opponents to hit Obama on without giving the game away themselves - Netanyahu can hardly give a press release saying "Don't mention our nukes!", can he?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, its because those sites were used to launch terrorist attacks against Israel. Any site used to launch an attack is open to retaliation. Don't like it? Gaza should police itself.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember that, during last years conflict, one of the very first Israeli bombings was specifically to assassinate a police chief who put a lot of effort into curtailing Palestinian rocket launches.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im having trouble finding news articles stating an update to either thing, have the Palestinians wrongly re-arrested during Brothers Keeper been re-released, or are they p much fated to live their lives in prison? And, did Israel ever dis-establish their '3km buffer zone' created last year, or did they totally just annex half of Gaza?

Also, something thats confusing me is posters repeating such things as 'Hamas will never be a member of peace talks,' and 'that, due to how aggressive Hamas is, Israel was right in smashing Gaza last year.'

Like, please correct me if I'm mis-remembering, in June Hamas had not just ceased their attacks for near two years, but began actively working towards a lasting peace with their attempt to formally reintegrate Gaza into the PA. Israeli government members repeatedly stated a signing of such a re-unification agreement would bring an end to peace, so, three weeks after the declaration, they started destroying Gaza.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 2, 2015

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not inherently, but Capital B BDS - the kind that wants to boycott all of Israel until it ceases to exist in favor of a binational state - there's a meaningful distinction between that and boycotting settlements for example. While neither idea is inherently anti-Semitic, it boils down to many BDS proponents either exclusively criticizing Israel, or criticizing Israel and then lionizing even worse abusers in some sort of third worldist solidarity nonsense. How many BDS proponents will wildly protest other instances of collective punishment when perpetuated by Israel?

Much the notion of shadowy cabals of international financiers, the whole idea of boycotts in general brings up very ugly historical imagery. Then, if you're a believer in the whole notion of disparate impact, then yes, BDS does inherently discriminate on the basis of national origin
I don't feel that a commercial boycott of Israeli companies can rightly be directly compared to the bombing and blockade of Palestine. Also, IMO, such a civil boycott inconveniencing citizens not actively involved, but who are able to change their course with their vote, is a good thing. Without such 'collective punishment' many boycotts wouldn't be as worthwhile.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel has no responsibilities towards non-citizens unless those responsibilities are clearly outlined in Israeli law.
IMO Israel should let go of territories containing non-citizens if they want to have no responsibilities concerning them. Until such a thing happens, the most moral democracy has over 4 and a half million permanent subjects who are unacceptably disenfranchised (and under other hardships).

I don't feel like such a divorce of Israel and Palestine is ever likely to happen. Citizenship needs to be granted to such subjects, and it will need to happen without formally restricting rights based on ethnic or religious group.

As long as neither choice is made, I think pointing to South African apartheid is really a super hopeful and relatively kind comparison to make.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 13, 2015

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ytlaya posted:

I think the key problem is, as a few other people have mentioned, the fact that he was (apparently) the only one asked to give this statement. Given the fact that he's not even Israeli himself, I can't help but think that there's some antisemitism involved.

Also, remember that antisemitism is actually a pretty big thing in many parts of Europe, likely including Spain.
I feel like Jewish Israeli performers not being asked to also make such a statement is a sure sign that their reasoning wasn't simply antisemitism, rather it sounds to me like his past statements against Palestine's right to exist really was their focus.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Insect Court posted:

When BDSers single out a performer because he is a Jew and demand of him a written statement or video appearance where he condemns Israel or Zionism it is blindingly, inarguably antisemitic.
Do you really feel like any statement in support of Palestine is inherently condemning Israel?

Considering that Hatikva 6 hasn't been asked to make any statements, I'm pretty sure Matisyahu was singled out due to his professed political views, and not his race or his religion,

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Insect Court posted:

When you post :tinfoil: stuff like this, it's usually a good idea to post some kind of source. Note, please make a halfway legitimate source, no whatreallyhappened or IHS.
I always thought Israel does assassinate scientists, and I haven't really seen anything to sway my mind. Do you know any conflicting sources we should read?

NBC: Israel teams with terror group to kill Iran's nuclear scientists
The Atlantic: The Real Reason Israel Kills Iranian Nuclear Scientists?
CBS: U.S. pushing Israel to stop assassinating Iranian nuclear scientists
Haaratz: Ya'alon Hints Israel May Target Iranian Scientists
International Business Times: Israel hints at resuming assassinations of Iran nuclear scientists

SPIEGEL: So will we see further deaths of Iranian nuclear scientists through attacks or malware compromising Iranian computer networks?
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon: We should be ready to defend ourselves. I'm not responsible for the lives of Iranian scientists.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

• Locked thread