Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

42s are quite capable of going down the coconut run to Australia

it's what a number of my boat purchase/offshore equipping advisor's clients have done, the Aussies love the boats and they sell them there for more than they bought them for here

It's not a go-anywhere boat but it is a go-most-places boat

As John Kretschmer says in his 2008 review of the 42s:

Congratulations! You know what they say about the best two days of owning a boat...

Could you talk more about how you selected down to this boat? Also could you talk about how much sailing experience you have and what your intended usage is? I know thats basically asking for an essay but any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at sailboats literally my entire life, and its basically now or never. I've sailed before, insomuch as been on a sailboat under way and someone said 'pull this line some', but my parents had a ski boat & uncles were commercial divers so I've been on the water most of my life. I'm looking for something large enough to make passage, and the Catalinas have appealed to me. As pointed out itt, they're not really the traditional bluewater boats but a lot of people have sailed them pretty much everywhere. Performance is not a concern whatsoever, ease of sailing and comfort and durability is my number one concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

Sure, first my sailing experience, I learned to sail in 2013, got my ASA courses up through 106 including 114 between 2013-2014. Been doing charters not quite every year since, one in the BVIs, one down in Mexico, the rest in the San Juans up here in Puget Sound. Also have done plenty of daysailing on Puget Sound through a local sailing club.

How I selected this boat? I paid for this service and based on what I want to do, my age, budget, etc, I had a set of filters on YachtWorld with some of my parameters. I looked every week and also had auto-alerts set up, which is how this one came up.

I had not actually been looking at Catalinas before the consultant told me I should be. For some reason some people think they are like Hunters but they're quite well built, especially these 42s.

My plans are pretty loose, but I'm looking at spending the next 2-ish years here in the Puget Sound area learning the boat, maintaining it, upgrading it, and (though not yet) living on it. Once it's ready and I'm ready, my partner and I will start heading South, then who knows from there--either across the Pacific or through the Panama Canal into the Caribbean.

It's also possible that after a few years I decide that while this boat is super comfy to live on, I'd rather cross oceans in something a bit more substantial. This boat will not be hard to sell, if needed.

I just had the survey and sea trial today. It went really well. The surveyor said this is one of the cleanest and best maintained boats he's seen in a while. Heck the guy at the yard hauling it out commented on how good condition it was in.

Thank you for the answers, and using a consulting service is brilliant. Sorting through boats is worse than horse trading haha. Would you mind sharing some of the other boat models you were considering? It seems like we have very similar goals (2 people, sail locally on the west coast for 1-2 years while upgrading / retrofitting, and then either going south to Panama or across the Pacific)

Again, congrats on the boat. I wasn't familiar with this specific model and its really a beautiful boat. Catalinas just seem to 'fit' in so much more boat than other models the same length.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

I really liked the look of a 1994 Passport 44 that was for sale down in Portland, but it was sale pending before I had a chance to go down and look at it.

Honestly the list of models was huge, I was even willing to look at one-offs and custom boats for the right price, as I really enjoy DIY and am looking forward to maintaining this boat. Mostly though I can tell you I generally ignored listing for Hunters and C&Cs as neither is suitable to my desires. There's nothing wrong with them for coastal sailing, though! I also had other preferences that eliminated perfectly-good-for-my-purpose models such as Pacific Seacraft. (I really don't like double-enders or big overhanging sterns)

It really came down to what was in my size & budget. I was looking at 38'-50' boats, no older than I am (so, 1984 or newer), with a focus on 42'-46' vessels, which is of course what I ended up with. Generally my searches were set about 30-50% higher than my budget so I could get good comparisons with boats just out of my reach financially.

Part of the benefit of Catalina is that the company still exists and has excellent customer support, even for their older models. Also there's a ton out there, so the owners network is also huge.

Thanks again for the response. I agree w/r/t Hunters and C&Cs, I've been on one of each and they struck me as fine for daysailing but I wouldn't want to travel the world with them. Of course people have sailed all sorts of boats all over the place. I'd been looking at a more traditional double ender because I'm more concerned about passage performance, but it makes it less fun to use in the day to day. I haven't chartered or taken any sailing courses yet, so I should probably do that before committing to anything.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So this is probably opening up a can of worms, but as someone who understands nothing about sailing nor sailing culture -

Whats the deal with motorsailers? It seems like they can motor, or they can sail, or they can motor AND sail at the same time... but its my understanding even the term is a bit of a misnomer because any sailboat with a motor is technically a motorsailer? From the research I've done, it seems like specific motorsailors incorporate certain powerboat features to be easier to motor while making compromises on the ease & performance of sailing. Also it seems like every traditional sail/powerboat captain sorta hates them, but from an outsider perspective they seem like an easy way to get into cruising?

Does anyone happen to know anything about the LM30 specifically?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with them at all if that fits your use case, but most folks consider them to be for older people who don't want to pull on lines as often.

Thank you! I got an old people vibe from a lot of the motorsailers I'd browsed, just from the decor and the descriptions.

Kenshin posted:

You can motor just fine in most sailboats if you want.

thank you, that was my understanding as well but I was questioning the reason to build or name something specific.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

Motor sailers are fine I guess, depends on your use case. They're probably good for the east coast where you need a shallow draft

The guy one slip over from me lives on a motorsailer with his 14 year old son and it's got an awesome floorplan, but probably sucks balls to actually sail

A J/105 is a keel boat so it's inherently not gonna sail like a dinghy, but between a J/105 and a motor sailer, the J/105 would still have sailing characteristics representative of a dinghy, whereas the motor sailer is going to be more like a sailing barge. That's mostly talking about 35+ footers

Then you have stuff like the macgregor 26 which is an odd duck, I think some/all of them have water ballast. They're loving weird and I don't know why you'd want one but they built them continuously for like 30 years until very recently so I guess they scratch an itch for somebody

For a livaboard motor sailer is perfectly fine, they have better layouts for that IMO. If you're gonna do weekend trips something like a Catalina might be a better option

Funny you mention the Macgregor 26, I've seen that come up a lot. Its weirdness intrigues me - it seems like it incorporates a lot of innovative features that never took off in the sailing community at large. The macgregor and other motorsailers I've seen, specifically Lancers, seem like they also make a lot of concessions to be trailerable. (I'm not getting a Macgregor)

Ultimately I am looking for a liveaboard with weekend trips to Catalina. Like every other internet sailor I've got aspirations to circumnavigate, but tbh if I made the Baja Ha Ha that would be a genuine bucket list achievement.

FAKE EDIT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was googling some of the weirder features about the Macgregor that I half-remembered, and I ran across this video of a dude water skiing behind it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHneDA6vwm8&t=36s :rubby:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

The macgregor 26 doesn't have any structural bulkheads (that I remember) its basically a tupperware box with a 60hp outboard engine, probably a good lake sailor to drink beers on, I've seen many in person but never stepped foot on one. They sold a lot of them though

For a liveaboard maybe look at the Catalina 36? That's a reasonable sized boat, under $100k (i think, covid made prices crazy) full featured and is totally designed to sail back and forth between LA and catalina island, and hundreds have made the trip down to mexico and back. And when/if you decide to circumnavigate you can probably sell it for 75% of what you paid for it and get the right boat for that project

IIRC the macgregor is built like a ski boat - a combination of spray-in fiberglass and pour-in foam for positive flotation. I've never been on one either, but like you said people seem to love them.

Thank you for the recommendation and I agree - I've been thinking Catalina 30 or 36. I like the encapsulated keel, the layouts are generous, and they're ubiquitous so parts are readily available. Seems like a 36 can still be flubbed around singlehanded pretty easily?

I can't tell what covid did to prices specifically, but it feels like the boats i'm looking at today are significantly less expensive than they were a year ago. Also I did some research on Baja Naval in Ensenada MX, and talked to a couple of their people. Seems like a solid yard thats desperate for work in covid times with fantastic prices. Shot in the dark, but does ITT have any experience with them?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Again i know nothing, but I believe Cat 30s+ had a poured ballast and no keel bolts. It was my understanding this is why they get the notorious smile - the fiberglass holding the ballast weight pulls away from the hull. Speaking of horrific keel bolts, I looked at a nice I36 a year+ ago and its keel bolts were solid rust on the outside. As you said, its a maintenance item, but in my research it was also dumb expensive. Keel bolts snapping is my #1 irrational fear, so whatever I can do to avoid that (and not spend half the boats value on getting them repaired)

EDIT - seems like its keel bolts and hten they put fiberglass around it.. huh. So if the bolts snapped than maybe the boat doesnt flip over and drown you instantly...

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 24, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

So the US Navy has a program where every ~10 years or so they comission a fleet of 5-12 sailboats called "Navy 44" and they just abuse the hell out of them in proper military fashion, so they're built to be just absolutely bullet proof

Anyways eventually they are decommissioned and sold off when they have the new fleet delivered. These boats get bought at government auction prices, then refurbished and sold for a pretty penny since they have legendary build quality + maintained to the highest standard since they're sort of the red headed stepchild boating program to the blue angels

Anyways anyways, there are some for sale, current bid is $20k

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=31QSCI22023004

Thats cool, thanks for the tip. I've seen a lot of auxiliary boats listed on the West Coast and I had sorta wondered what the story was. It didn't occur to me that the Navy, Coast Guard, or Sea Scouts would be building new fiberglass ships.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-lm-30-pilothouse-motor-sailer-8056760/

As I may have mentioned previously ITT, I'm very seriously considering a liveaboard. This 1988 LM30 boat checks a lot of boxes, but I don't really know anything about boats. Seems like this is a rare motorsailor that sails well, its a bit of an oddball model for its location but they're generally recognized as well built, and it seems like its in excellent condition. Of course none of that means anything until I've physically seen the boat, but what am I missing?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

Chances are that you'll recoup your expenses within 6-9 months if you're already living in SF proper, within 18 months for anywhere else

Be aware that the dating pool of women who will date a guy who lives on a boat has almost zero overlap with women who will date a guy who doesn't live on a boat, although the livaboard pool make for some great stories

Don't be a live aboard at Pier 39, the logistics of getting in and out of there, especially on weekends is loving miserable, even if you're walking or biking, Emeryville stopped enforcing parking restrictions sometime in 2018 so it gets very sketch after 10pm, and I have a very high tolerance for sketch

TL;DR go for it, living aboard in SF is sort of the "it's insane but you'll almost certainly come out ahead" wildcard of boat ownership

That's a very clean boat for 1983 but I wouldn't trust it to go to Mexico, or our the gate for that matter, until you've had it properly inspected and seen the engine start from cold

Thank you for the advice. You hit the nail on the head - it'll be crazy, but the cost of living is so much cheaper that it makes a stupid kind of sense. Plus my career has changed with covid - I'm location agnostic so I like the idea of being able to take my home up and down the coast, albeit with serious time and effort.
Also completely agree on not getting out of the "Gate - there's a lot of stuff that I need to see work, work well, and work numerous times before I think about going anywhere. TBH I'm excited - this ship coooooould be the world cruising platform I've been dreaming about. Ideally I'd convert the diesel to electric and add some batteries and solar and have a real pocket cruiser.

EDIT: re: dating pool - I quit drinking 9+ years ago. From my experience on dating apps, I'd guess that I'm already dating in the liveaboard pool anyway :v:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 1, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

Yeah with a boat cost of living zeros out pretty quick, and that's assuming you just walk away from the boat and leave it for salvage. If you manage to sell the boat at any price, the payback period decreases dramatically

I mean this in all sincerity, good luck being the one non functional-alcoholic in the entire marina. I don't personally care about whatever, but be aware most boats are floating tiki bars, so, at least you know what you're getting yourself into when making neighbors

yeah, my relationship with alcohol is not traditional by any means - never attended a single meeting, just decided to quit one day after a really rough weekend. TBH if I really understood the ostracism of not drinking, I never would've quit, but that's not a story for the boat thread! I've worked in enterprise sales through all of it, so I'm really cool with hanging out with booze lovers. Also, :350: until the Sun melts.

Also yeah the cost of living on a boat is pennies compared to rent - if I could make this boat work for a year or two, the money I'd save would either buy a much larger and nicer boat, or it could work towards a down payment on a house (:lol: i'm never going to afford a house in california, even the crappy parts)
Even if I only go day sailing, or just motor around whichever Bay i'm anchored in and hire a crew to move it up and down the coast, its STILL cheap as chips compared to buying or renting. Quite frankly the marinas here in SD are nicer, cleaner, safer, and have way more amenities than any of the shithole apartments I've rented lately. Having a pool and laundry on site would be a big step up :rubby:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

As someone who works remotely and just bought a sailboat and is going to live on it and work from it starting soon, a few things to consider:

Make sure the boat isn't just comfortable to live on, but also work on (unless you're the type to work entirely from cafes). Make sure the salon or cockpit are comfortable, dry places for you to be typing on your laptop. Think about ergonomics, too!

Look into 4G or 5G hotspot modems and plans. For Puget Sound, T-Mobile has the best coverage with 5G all the way up through the San Juans, so I'm planning on getting an unlocked Netgear MR5200 to use (primarily) T-Mobile data-only plans on.

Make sure you have power generation figured out. Presumably you won't be able to find a liveaboard marina slip on short notice so you'll be living at anchor. Maybe you'll get lucky and will have a marina slip so you'll have power and this isn't as much as a worry, but that also defeats the point of having a boat! Ensure your battery capacity and power generation (alternator + solar(?) + wind(?)) are sufficient for your power needs. (I'm still figuring this last one out)

Yes to all of this! Actually a big reason why I want to jump on this particular boat https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-lm-30-pilothouse-motor-sailer-8056760/ - The pilothouse will be a nice area to do laptop stuff or even mount a screen, and I'm fairly confident I can convert the setee to a full desk if I want.
I havent gotten quite this far re: internet access yet. All of the marinas I've looked at here in SD had wifi + you could sign up for residential internet out to the slip. i'm going to really dig into this once I have more particulars on the boat & marina.
re: electricity - this is one of my biggest concerns. real meaningful solar that gets consistent sun seems to be a real challenge on a sailboat. In a perfect world I'd convert everything that consumes fuel to electric - electric stove top and grille, electric water heater, electric inboard -but I've only started to scratch the surface on how that would all work. I'm a pretty big nerd (check the reg date :lol:) so I feel confident I can figure out a laptop and a battery and a solar panel as a minimum, but its going to be a huge learning process beyond that. I've already talked myself out of through-hulls for a saltwater cooling loop for a custom low wattage gaming PC. :v:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've installed wifi for a marina before, and if you want to rely on marina wifi, you're going to want an extender kit that places an antenna outside your boat that connects to the marina wifi, then a router of your own inside to provide ethernet ports and rebroadcast the wifi to your devices. The materials boats are made out of, as well as being close to or below waterline doesn't do well for connecting to wifi inside the boat.

Something like this: https://wifiranger.com/shop/bundles/teton-pack/

Thanks for the link. I had sorta figured I would want/need some sort of range extender package to bring wifi down into the boat properly. I also wanted to look at directional wifi antennas, but I'm not sure how to mount that high enough to clear ground clutter, while also not so high that its oscillating 8 feet back and forth as the boat rocks in the slip or at anchor.

Karma Comedian posted:

You can also get yourself on waiting lists for marina liveaboard slips and then bounce around marinas maxing out their transient dockage until you get the call

I've given this some thought as well. I dont know about specifically in the Bay, but at least in SD there are transient anchorages run by the port with decent facilities and a very sheltered location that are available to out-of-towners.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I know exactly nothing about blow boats, but this made me think of the San Francisco Bird Boats

https://supernaturaldesign.com/bird-boats

I think they're longer but pretty similar

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

As someone who took their boat off the market I can confirm it's past it's peak

Well paying white collar jobs getting the axe lately + interest rates for boats near 10% is going to soften the market considerably. Especially boats over 30' that need a slip at a marina. $350/mo + another $100/mo insurance to leave a boat on the market eats into any perceived "profit" real fast. A $50k boat might drop their list to $40k to move it at $36 just to get out from under the note on it (plus depreciation)

chiming in to say that I've been on the craigslist and yachtworld weekly-ish for the last few years, and boats are in freefall right now. This is usually the best time of year to boat shop anyway, but it feels like there's real value to be had as compared to the last few years were supply was tight and prices were inflated. Also a lot of :airquote: Good :airquote: boats have seemingly sat on the market for a while. I'm looking mostly in the SoCal area which seems to be its own little niche when it comes to boat availability and pricing FWIW

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/newport-beach-1978-pacific-seacraft/7580841967.html

Seems like a banging price on a very very solid boat that needs a lot of elbow grease? Whole boat is dirty as poo poo, the teak is sorta/kinda hosed but could potentially be rehabed, and it obviously needs a bottom scrub and paint. The engine looks like what I'd expect a 43 year old diesel to look? :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

I've never seen a chain just chilling on the outside before, that's... very interesting. I'm always worried a wave comes and sucks my tshirt into the belt while I'm diagnosing a fuel problem and it's running. Exposed chain with sprocket teeth is next level finger chopper

$9k is... charitable

$4500 for new standing rigging
$2000 for new running rigging
$2000 for a new main sail (the other sails can wait)

Probably $2000 in random repairs up front just to get it insured to put it in a marina

Half the exterior hardware will probably need replacement

Probably 25K to get in good enough shape you'd want to take a photo of it, plus $450/mo slip fee

Probably budget another $6000 for a rebuilt marine diesel because that one looks like it only has another 2 or 3 seasons left in it, probably

If you were gonna buy a half-derilict sailboat, pacific seacraft would be near the top of my list

I would attack the teak absolute last, teak work destroys your soul and spirit. Teak work is what you do when you're on anchor in Fiji after you've gotten the rest of the boat in bristol quality and already are using it

:haibrow: Thank you for the input. It being a pacific seacraft, and the interior being decent, is what caught my eye. 25k in refits seems like a lot, but I think thats sorta to be expected on any boat thats as old as I am :shrug: it also seems like this is the kinda boat I actually could take to Fiji, although it would be slow AF.

Also yeah I would want to do something with the engine. My heart wants to go electric for numerous reasons but it seems unrealistic on a boat this heavy/old.

EDIT

also heavily agreed on the teak. Assuming nothing is leaking through, and AFAIK the pacific seacraft are solid core decks? that poo poo can be done one-handed somewhere tropical, upgrading to two hands if sufficiently buzzed :v:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Hybrid diesel-electric is an option these days too. Seems to provide a lot of benefit for more than just propulsion too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohxmwPfctg&t=1497s

Kenshin posted:

It's also hilariously expensive. I'd love a system like that but it would completely blow my cruising budget and I'm doing a full lithium upgrade, new electronics, new sails, a hard solar array, and new running rigging this year.

:hmmyes: I've done some math on costs for batteries and such, and it gets wild really fast. There's a dude on Youtube who spent 250k 5 years ago on batteries. solar panels, electric drives, and diesel gensets to convert his Cat to entirely electric drive, no sails. LiPo and flexible solar panels have come a long way in efficiency in that short time, and all of the stuff is significantly less expensive, but still. If those toroidal props actually pan out to be 20% improvement, especially in capturing electricity as the boat sails, then it may be realistic to start refitting boats. Otherwise, with the costs and performance tradeoffs and overall engineering challenges of building a new system into an existing boat, it makes more sense to go absolutely ham and have someone build you a boat.

If I won the lottery I would probably call Neel, hand them the black card, and tell them to figure out a hybrid 47 for me :v: but right now it just doesn't seem feasible.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I'm assuming this is so inexpensive because finding a place to store it is practically impossible?

These sorts of listings are always a crackup. Buncha disjointed pictures, practically no description of the boat itself, at least two faux-artsy pics of the same thing taken at slightly different angles.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Or just because a 52 year old wooden boat of that size is just a giant sucking black hole for money? As it's a custom build there will be zero parts available and every single repair will be a custom job (other than minor stuff or maybe engine parts).

Hadlock posted:

Half the time if you call the guy you'll get the entire play by play of both circumnavigations

They're selling the boat basically for the value of the perkins diesel and a handful of other big ticket items like the windlass and probably generator and the six tons of bronze fittings

A boat that size is nice in some hosed up ways, because it's so massive and overbuilt, nothing really wears out you just need to replace the consumables and repaint everything once a year or so. You just need infinite time to keep up with the maintenance. Like when you're busy doing a circumnavigation. Probably not an ideal candidate for marina queen whose owner only goes to the dock twice a month

54' slips in my area go for looks like $795 and $942, per month, they'll definitely allow you an exception to keep a 57' boat in a 54' slip

:hmmyes: This was sorta my view on it.. its so huge and solidly built, and it needs so much ongoing maintenance, that basically you buy this thing if you plan on sailing to Fiji the second you can get a crew together. Its care and feeding are going to be nearly identical sitting at anchor or in the South Pacific, and while its sorta weird that every single repair will be a custom job, thats how most homes are :shrug: at a certain level it also makes things a lot easier - its always going to involve woodworking and some sort of epoxy :v:

I wish I were anywhere close to the Bay because I'd go take a look.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

It's almost certainly a hulk that is nearly falling apart

Pham Nuwen posted:

They were actively sailing it up until covid hit, it looks like: http://www.sailingacross.com/

The first COVID furloughs were nearly 3 years ago. Plenty of time for a boat like that to pick up some really nasty incurable diseases. On the other hand, also totally possible that the thing is a floating tank and (cosmetic poo poo aside) is ready for another circumnavigation. If it were a Coast Guard approved charter, that implies some sort of initial and potentially ongoing safety inspections, at least to satisfy insurance? :shrug: Its way too much boat for me anyway; Wooden boats are cool as hell, and I know this is a statistical improbability, but on a circumnavigation I'd be concerned about the ship breaking apart in some freak climate-change related storm.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

This sweet drone footage popped up in my youtube recommends and I thought it was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBgGBHv1rk

:stare: that fancy flying boat is doing its best to become a submarine :stare:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:stare::stare::stare:

:lol::lmao: at the climate change imagery of houseboats catching fire while huddled in (what visually amounts to) a puddle.

Double :lol: since the water has been so low on Lake Powell, nobody has really been using these houseboats, which means thousands of hours of deferred maintenance across that marina.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Supradog posted:

I spotted this over in the osha thread and thought of this thread.

:stare::stare::stare:

They're doing thunderboat poo poo in a wooden ski boat. I didnt see any restraints, life jackets, or helmets. Literally if anything goes wrong, they're dead

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

the military always have the bigger toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIP77rlh8I&t=578s

this one is weird though, the engines (there's three of them) are italian, isotta fraschini, 18 cylinders in a W configuration, 57 liters displacement, twin turbos, sodium cooled exhaust valves and 1500 hp at 2000 rpm. gasoline, originally, but then later converted to diesel which apparently was a thing you could do, and and now they're at 1650 hp each with better fuel economy too.

the next logical step is to go to turbines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mtraBA2qA

this thing started its life as a torpedo boat but later they added some missiles on top and called it a missile boat. three rolls royce turbines with 4500 hp each. thing displaces like 250 metric tons and doesn't even plane but behaves like a MTB anyway

:monocle:

Were these things intended to intercept the Caspian Sea Monster

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Do boat sales go the way of motorcycle sales in the winter and you can get a great deal? There's some decent lil boats that include a slip for the 6 weeks of sailing left but if I can get something better in the offseason I'd probably just do that

February is boat-buying season; It is known. :haibrower:

(California) boat registration renews on a calendar year, its the coldest/shittiest weather of the year, and everyone has to pay taxes. September after Labor Day would be a distant 2nd IMO.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:monocle:

all the details, now :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
You're looking for a ski bridle. It's basically a Y-shaped piece of rope with a little float at the junction so the rope doesnt get sucked into the prop when you stop. Some of the fancy bridles will have a pulley so the tow rope can swing way out of the wake. Check your boat manual but you're probably fine hooking them to the trailer eyelets on the back.