Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

If you never noticed, this was a reconciliation episode, do I'm sure the worst in each other will be less and less now.
Brilliant all the same it was.

Yeah, I do like the way it did that - I think it was a better season-ender than the actual one.

And even though Clara was starting to get on my nerves near the end of the season, I also appreciate that 12 / Clara both got the deception out of the way. Not that either will stop lying, I don't believe, but they got the biggest ones out of the way, and more importantly (if they didn't realize it already), each has more an appreciation of how far the other will go.

Danny coming "back" was a nice touch.

This episode reminded me of the "Dream Lord", wonder if he'll ever make a re-appearance.

Angela Christine posted:

He is a time alien, maybe he sees time a bit differently than us? He seemed to have moments where he slipped between seeing Amy as she was, and as she had been as a little girl despite only knowing little Amelia for a few hours. A little non-linear perception where timelords sometimes perceive people as they were, are, and may become wouldn't be totally out of line. It could even help them recognise old timelords in new faces, a thing they've been able to do some of the time.

He's had a demonstrated history of recognizing people when seeing them at vastly different ages, maybe that same trait sometimes hinders his ability to recognize if they're really old/young? In other words, he doesn't care if you're 4 or 40, you're still the same "you".

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The fact that The Doctor himself was apparently attacked in a volcano is strange too. Maybe someone plotted it or something.

He was just making double-triple sure that Clara actually hadn't thrown any of the spare keys in the lava, because that was done in a dream state too? No? Well it makes sense to ME. :colbert:

happyhippy posted:

One thing though, how the gently caress does dinner sized blue crabs get around the UK without being seen once.

They crawl on the ceiling.

Seriously. Nobody ever looks up. Not EVER. (OK, once, during Impossible Planet, but only after 10 told them to, to find the body).
As far as outside... um, they're crawling on the skybox. That's it.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

They should've left her dead in the last episode. She's an abysmal "character." All she ever talks about is her dad.

Maybe they're trying "too hard" to get us to like her through her dad... "Hey you all like the Brig right? This is his daughter, that means you have to like her too!!!" "Remember, this is the Brig's daughter! You remember the Brig, right?!" "Hey, the Brig may be gone, but he had a daughter! This is her, right here!!!" And so on...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Rhyno posted:

If the Doctor Who threads were just more of this for the next year I would be 100% absolutely okay with it.

Well, its quite something to fill the void in-between seasons (and audios).

Speaking of seasons, I heard a rumor that the last couple of Moffat Series were over-budget, but the big gap (waiting 'till August) we recently experienced fixed that. Any clues as to how this Series went financially? I'd hate to have another long delay until the start of the next Series, or whatever they do to fix budget shortfalls.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

gently caress, those things scared the crap out of me when it was first shown and I was a little boy. Almost as much as that one time the doctor was pulled apart in some kind of machine he stepped into.

The Leisure Hive?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jsor posted:

I'm pretty sure someone has. At least I've seen it before and I'm pretty sure it was from one of our Who threads.

Same. And I could've sworn I've seen it in one of these threads. Remember, there used to be a thread per episode until recently...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Pff, all these new sci-fi shows are just cribbing Doctor Who :rolleyes:

Doctor Who shot first?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

"Doctor, who shot first?" or "The Doctor who shot first"?

Or is this a headline from 1989 about a large number of BBC series being put out to pasture? :ohdear:

None of the above. Just an idea for someone to get revenge for everyone cribbing Doctor Who: edit a scene to where the Doctor shoots first (or at all, actually).

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

In less being hazed news, everyone's favorite creepy alien sex simulator is coming back!

OK, I can get behind this. Will they ever come close to CotE agian...?

Solaris Knight posted:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/13/torchwood-is-returning-as-a-series-of-radio-plays-says-star-john-barrowman-5020919/
Basically at a Arrow conference, John Barrowman said Torchwood. radio plays with the help of Rusty and Julie Gardner are A Thing that will happen soon.

Radio!? Haven't people heard? Video killed the radio star!

Anyways, you guys enjoy it (I think everyone here listens to the Big Audio radio plays?) and hopefully it'll be good. (Or at least consistently on for more than a year. )

More Whoniverse material is always good. (Well, we'll just forget about The Creature from the Pit, OK?)

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Tom's interviews about being in the special were so hilarious. Like first of all, he was like "Listen, I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in that thing, but I am," and then he just seemed kind of confused by whole process of sitting around and waiting for other people to film their scenes. I really hope he lives forever so when they're filming the 75th Anniversary, he can just walk by in a key scene, tap his nose, and wink.

Even if he doesn't live forever (he will!), he'll be in the 75th.

CGI. Think about CGI tech 25 years ago to now. So in 25 more years...

CGI. Digitized voice. Calling it now.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I love the name, I thought it summed them up pretty well both from a physical standpoint as well as the fact they're basically cruel, cowardly creatures who attacked those who couldn't fight back and taunted them as they did it.

I hated the name. The name should've been something more closely related to their nature. 12 could have easily called them the Skinless, the Bloodless, the Shirtless, the Nailless, the Eyeless...

(Maybe someone could come up with some analogs between their bodies and hours? If that was done, then you could probably find something that gives their bodies order/structure... their equivalent to bones...)

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

After The War posted:

Let that be your last yearly licence negotiation.

... at 20 credit per unit?!? TWENTYYYYYYYYYY............

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't get it to open. The BACK opens, but the clock face seems jammed. I don't want to break it, though. And I can hear it faintly, when I put my ear up against the glass when the back's open.

No problem. I'm sure you transferred yourself into the watch sometime in the future, and your "watch" self will remind yourself how to open it... when necessary. Meanwhile, just leave it alone. This is how you meant it to be, after all.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

But it has automatic sand!

Yeah, but does Space Florida have a Space Cape Canaveral that launches ships into... Space?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, me too actually.

And even though he wasn't in that particular episode, Sabalom Glitz, was I think, a most amusing character.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I really like this, the time vortex particularly looks amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEjx6XUbfQ

Looks like he's redecorated the Dematerialisation sequence. Hum. Don't like it.

He even got the audio wrong! (He used the Rematerialisation audio for the Dematerialisation audio, and a simple "Thump!" for the Rematerialisation audio!)

:mad:

(Yes, the actual series screws this up to occasionaly, doesn't make it right!)

Couple things I did like:

The "tunnel" effect, on its own, was nice. As in, that's some nice not-associated-with-the-time-vortex random piece of art.

The circling effect (since it was supposed to be from the TARDIS's point of view) before take off.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

qntm posted:

I thought we agreed it was going to be called "Hissy" from now on.

Yes, because "Histress" just doesn't have the same ring to it...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

So apparently Tom Baker sends people autographed photos of himself holding a pile of kittens.

Of COURSE he does.

Now, all he needs is a blue cat carrier per kitten, with a white handle on top...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Astroman posted:

Now we truly know what the Dalek Civil War was about...

Not only that, now we know the real reason why those early episodes were all in black and white. They knew this day was coming, so they stalled as long as possible. Later, they got complacent, thinking, "nah, that will never happen", and so started making episodes in color. The rest... is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

To be honest, I do worry I'm kind of cluttering up the thread with these reviews, but I figured it's the quiet part of the year for Doctor Who news anyway. Still, I'd be more than happy to see any other aspect of the show (classic, revival etc) be brought up, I just hope I'm not scaring people off with all this talk about a different aspect of the show.

No worries. Any Who talk is good talk. (Even Twin Dilemma talk.)

docbeard posted:

This is probably for the best, and I say that as someone who loves them. I honestly think they would work best as a Who-free spinoff, ideally run by Mark Gatiss.

Who-free? You mean, like rare-visits like SJA had, or "none" (once every 4 years or so) at all? Would more visits mean The Doctor would out-shine the Gang if he visited often? Just wondering why people would like Who-free spinoffs. I think more visits would be better to shake things up more dramatically, and would be a great excuse to get other Doctors to visit! (MORE EIGHT PLEASE.)

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 19, 2015

• Locked thread