Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hair metal's last stand in terrifying CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

My mum started teaching around 1990, and one of her stories is how, around 1994 or so, all the staff in the school she worked in at the time were sent to Internet classes, where they were all informed it was largely a formality and it'd never be much real use.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twister would later become the first movie released on DVD, with remarkable special features like "Play" and "Scene Select".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

Reminds me of the Warner Brothers store that a local mall used to have. It had a giant TV screen in the back that was always showing Dawson's Creek ads.

That (along with Anne Rice's vampire books) directly influenced this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhIEG3JYtg

(Disclaimer: I actually love this series, even though it is a twice-as-campy Canadian version of Angel with a fraction of the budget.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the most 90s I can pack into an image.

I wasn't into Nintendo, so I didn't get that magazine. I was into Sonic (mainly on PC, though my dad had a Mega Drive), so I got this, which was a highlight of my childhood:

SHARPER THAN A CYBER-RAZOR CUT!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

Was there really a period of time where Vanilla Ice was considered cool enough and well-known enough to headline a movie? What possible performance gave people that impression? I'm really asking.

I reckon Vanilla Ice was popular with people who couldn't handle the urban gangsta flavour of MC Hammer and the Fresh Prince.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Behold: cutscenes from a 1995 Star Wars PC game with cheaper CGI than an episode of Babylon 5. Fun stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

Jedi Knight was 1997. Dark Forces was 1995. :goonsay:

My mistake.

Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure the cut-scenes for that game are actually the only time yellow and orange lightsabers were ever seen in an "official" live-action production. They had a purple lightsaber (which was also double-bladed, except its blades were parallel to each other :kickinrad:) about five years before Samuel L. Jackson demanded he get one in Episode II.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Crash Bandicoot...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was born in 1991, so I need to ask, was there really a time when Bart Simpson was the edgiest character on the telly?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mum wouldn't let me watch Johnny Bravo because it once had the word "sexy" in it and she thought that was inappropriate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The correct answer is that it depends on where you're from. Here's a sort of long introduction about how the Simpsons broke all sorts of ground on American TV in the early 90s, but the sort of stuff that the Simpsons revolutionised -- deadbeat parents, very soft anti-establishmentarianisms, corrupt public officials or other types of authority etc. -- were all very well trodden ground in other countries, with that sort of stuff having been done for decades before in UK media at least (despite your link being from some guy from the UK).

I'm in the UK myself, but as I say I'm the wrong age to appreciate it.

The biggest thing I remember from my childhood was Pokémon. It's pretty insane looking back at just how big that was for maybe a year and a half. Sure, it's still popular, but it can't hold a candle to how popular it was from around 1997 or so to 1999; it must have been a high water mark for anime's profile in the public consciousness or something. I remember when I went to see the movie in the cinema, the highlight was actually getting the exclusive trading cards on the way out.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Dec 22, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Mullets were popular enough in the 90s they were seen in media a lot.

For instance:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Oh no! John Romero's about to make me his bitch!

Suck it down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What's the most 90s part of this image: the product advertised, or that kid's trousers?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the UK music scene, the 1990s had the best novelty songs. Sure, the early 2000s might have had ringtone music filling that niche, but it had nothing on Lindisfarne re-recording "Fog on the Tyne" with Paul Gascoigne on lead vocals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in the various New Religious Movements that sprung up during the 1990s (granted, some predated the decade, but rose to prominence then), associated with millenarianism, conspiracy theory and ufology; people like the Branch Davidians, Aum Shinrikyo, the Order of the Solar Temple, the Pana Wave Laboratory and so on, people who believed the evil planet Nibiru was hiding in the perihelion of Comet Hale-Bopp and would emerge from behind the Sun to destroy the Earth, that kind of thing.

If the pervasive fear of world communism ended with the USSR and the pervasive fear of radical Islamic terrorism emerged on 9/11, the pervasive fear of the 1990s was conspiracies and cabals and New World Orders. If they were conspiring with Reptilians or Reticulans, that was a bonus. It was the decade of The X-Files after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember writing an essay (for a module I didn't particularly want to do) about how abusive behaviour on social media and, more generally, social media itself, could conceivably be regulated effectively. The academic literature on this topic is essentially barren, filled with 20-year old articles discussing how LambdaMOO will always be relevant, and how the worst non-viral threat the Internet was ever likely to muster would be virtual rape.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VoteTedJameson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n3GJ-cYn6I

The Eyewitness song, and the series in general are pretty iconic of the nineties for me. My family owned a few and I remember being allowed to watch them when I was home sick from school. I think we had one about tigers? When a teacher showed one of these videos in school I felt like everyone else was intruding on my turf.

When I was little I was really interested in the planets and the solar system and what have you, so one year, my grandmother got me the Eyewitness astronomy video for my birthday. I remember very little that was distinctive about it, except for one bit in the section on Venus, where the narrator intones in the most menacing voice possible, "Many astronomers believe... that Venus... is the planet... CLOSEST... TO HELL!"

Pretty sure I took to I skipping over that bit every time I rewatched it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

These 90's CD commercials

Thanks to adverts like these, there's a handful of songs I can't listen to without mentally seguing into another one. "Alone" by Heart, "You're the Voice" by John Farnham, "The Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera and "All Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield; all featured as "yellow" track names in the list scrolling up the screen on an advert for some love songs compilation I saw when I was a kid, all inseparable from one another.

"Knowing together that we did it all for the glory of looooYOU'RE THE VOICE TRY AND UNDERSTAND, YEAH!"

Sort of like that. It's hard to explain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I love how it has all these glamorous, good-looking young people, then Mr Bean doing a silly pose at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I recently heard Marilyn mansons new song a few times on the local rock radio station. I wonder if parents these days are still worried about their kids listening and watching mansons shocking and abhorrent behavior.

Marilyn Manson was menacing and threatening until a man who had a lot more authentic anger which came from a very real place (Eminem) started getting mainstream attention.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ryonguy posted:

Which is why bailing after the first season was hilarious. Poster boy for hubris for the remainder of the decade.

David Caruso responds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Acaila posted:

I found two hours of UK tv ads from the 90s on youtube last week. So much nostalgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5jGlMSffp0

There is one advert from the late 1990s (it might have been the very early 2000s; I'm not sure) which has stuck in my mind for years, which nobody else I've ever spoken to can remember. It was a kind of found footage thing, set in a Piggly Wiggly supermarket (I distinctly remember that being the name and it's very odd, because that's a chain that has zero presence whatsoever in the United Kingdom), presenting a man wearing a large, garish Chinese dragon mask stalking about the store and terrorising customers. You'd see things like someone walking their trolley off screen, followed by the unmanned trolley rolling back into view because the fellow had seemingly jumped out and grabbed them. The last shot I recall was the guy being marched out and pushed into a police car, still wearing the mask.

I can't even remember what it was advertising, or even what on Earth it could have been advertising; maybe it was a true crime or reality TV thing, and I've been conflating it with an advertisement all this time? It was the most bizarre thing, but it made an impression on my young mind.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dalax posted:

Good to see Jerry O'Connell flogging spot cream before he was famous.

Sliders is also pretty 1990s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was into the Disney Afternoon stuff like Darkwing Duck (:swoon:) and TaleSpin. I remember the Disney Channel in Britain had this sort of "all day Live and Kicking" set-up, where there'd be stuff with presenters in the studio in between cartoons, who'd run competitions and take viewer calls. Then there was always a movie at 7pm.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was into dinosaurs in the 1990s, but I think I may have clearer memories of this than I do of Jurassic Park.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Let's-get-dangerous.

When there's trouble you call DW.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There was also one on Cartoon Network called Dink, the Little Dinosaur, which is one of the cartoons I saw when I was very young, forgot about completely for about 15 years, then rediscovered via the Internet.

See also: Fish Police; The Pirates of Dark Water; The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest; Chris Colorado.

There was another one, though the name escapes me, where the only thing I remember was the opening theme, which had the main characters (a team of scientists) with a flying (?) island base who ride these flying discs through the air; I'm pretty sure their cat had an "and starring" credit or something. A likely holdover from the 1980s, I imagine. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think so - I think it had a mind of Hanna Barbera aesthetic; sort of like the Godzilla cartoon. Like I say, it may very well have been a 1980s holdover.

I have a peculiar notion that the cat was called Julius Caesar or something like that.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 08:26 on May 12, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow posted:

Real Adventures was cool because they decided to go all modern conspiracy theory stuff instead of the jungle poo poo.

Also Questworld

There's one episode where they fight a Medusa in Questworld; pretty sure it gave me nightmares when I was little. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't allowed to watch (but did anyway) Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken. My mum thought the former was a bit too sexually suggestive (!) and probably just didn't like the latter. Cow and Chicken made much more of an impression on me - I suppose it was Cartoon Network trying to do a John K style gross-out show. I definitely remember they once advertised it with these fake product adverts extolling pork butts 'n' taters as part of a balanced diet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NonzeroCircle posted:

Johnny Bravo was dirty as gently caress, wasn't even subtle half the time.

Haha, it may well have been. I probably didn't understand it at the time, and I've never had any inclination to revisit it in the intervening years. Dexter's Laboratory was my favourite on Cartoon Network.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

The local alt rock station near me still plays songs off of dookie pretty much daily. I really think they need to give it a rest, it's been 20 years.

Green Day will be classic rock in five years, if they aren't already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder when Coldplay will become classic rock?

They're alternative rock at the minute, which is confusing because they are neither alternative nor rock. :v:

How about the Red Hot Chili Peppers? They've been recording music since 1983 (for reference, their first album came out in the same year as Pyromania by Def Leppard, and one year before Bon Jovi's first album) and I don't think I've ever seen them called classic rock.

Are Nirvana classic rock yet, or are they insulated from the label forever? Foo Fighters are called dad rock, but Nirvana gets a pass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sjurygg posted:

Foo Fighters ain't dad rock. Dad rock is stuff like Gerry Rafferty and Steely Dan and BTO. goddammit I'm old

I'm not saying they are dad rock, I'm saying the music press is calling them dad rock.

(That being said, I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl is only about five or six years younger than my dad.)

Of course, one article I read also insisted that "dad rock" is racist because it has guitars (of course it mentioned that basically all the classic rock bands are, for the most part, a bunch of white guys, but the writer seemed really hung up on the guitars for whatever raeson), so whatever. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've found an op-ed piece from billboard.com (you can read it here) on the topic. I do not think this is the article I originally saw, because it doesn't talk about guitars as much, but there's one bit which seems to reflect the sentiment that I've quoted below:

quote:

Dad rock -- which used to be called “classic rock,” and before that, “rock” -- has become a target because of its template: white male auteurs, guitar solos, heroism and narrative songs. It’s music for squares. The younger, more multicultural world views it as not just passive, but patriarchal, because its values exclude almost all people of color, anyone who uses a turntable or a sampler and a wide range of female artists, from Taylor Swift to Azealia Banks. A vote against dad rock is a vote for inclusiveness.

In that case, the point about instrumentation being discriminatory is mixed in with comments about the lack of diversity in classic rock, but I am almost certain I read an article which made a big point about guitars making it racist because (I think) the dominance of the guitar is / was excluding uniquely non-white instruments or performance styles.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Jun 14, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said, it doesn't really "feel" like the 90's started until grunge and gangsta rap took over. Both completely changed music, fashion, and the general attitude of the youth of America. Before that was all day-glo colors and parachute pants.

There is a certain degree of symbolism in Nevermind replacing Dangerous by Michael Jackson at number-one on the album charts.

Just as there's a certain degree of symbolism in Nevermind being replaced itself after one week by a Garth Brooks album that was number-one for about three months.

It's curious that while the 1990s are the decade when grunge and gangsta rap (and "alternative" music more generally) broke through, the biggest-selling artists of the decade in America were people like Céline Dion, Bryan Adams, Garth Brooks and Mariah Carey. Of course, I suppose that's true of any decade - I was recently reading about all these largely forgotten British pop groups from the 1960s who spent more time on the sales charts than the Kinks, the Who and the Small Faces put together.

One thing I think is quite interesting is how all modern country is basically eighties arena rock with southern accents, cowboy hats and occasionally steel guitars - the basic thrust of the idea is that when grunge became popular, the entire network of producers and session musicians who worked on basically every single record that came out of Los Angeles since around 1976 all found themselves out of fashion, so they all went to Nashville, which still had the kind of system they were used to. Guys like Dann Huff, Van Stephenson, Mitch Malloy and (most famously) Mutt Lange, who were huge names in mainstream country music for most of the 2000s, were all in hair metal bands, wrote songs for hair metal bands or produced hair metal bands in the 1980s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Something to include with that billboard talk is that the 90's was also peak soccer-mom time for the baby boomers. So it's only natural that the generation that disposable income reached it's plateau at before declining would dominate sales figures, and buy the most vanilla soft adult contemporary and country that tangentially sounded like the songs from when they were young enough to still be kinda hip to pop culture stuff. This was also when MTV was at its swansong, transitioning its paradigm to being no longer about music by the end of the decade. Music television was always a double-edged sword of "hey, there's a new song I see, I'll buy the album!" vs "Meh, I'll just wait til they show the video again and not spend my money" and cable in homes was much bigger in the 90's than the 80's (see the above about the baby boomers) so that effect was felt a lot stronger.

One other point that bears mentioning is that for a large part of the 1990s, the Hot 100 only took account of songs that sold a lot of physical singles, but there were lots of songs that were hugely popular radio hits but, because they either weren't released as physical singles or only had limited releases, didn't make it onto the Hot 100 chart (though these songs tended to be really huge on the airplay chart). The famous examples: "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia, "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, more than one Oasis song (I think the big one was "Champagne Supernova" but, while "Wonderwall" was a Top 10 Hot 100 hit, it would've gone all the way to number-one if Billboard had factored in airplay at the time).

One funny story from a couple of years ago when they changed the formula for their genre charts - for a long time, the country chart (for example) was compiled based exclusively on airplay figures reported by country radio stations, but then Billboard introduced new rules which meant that all airplay (and I think sales and streaming) of country songs would be taken into account. Seems fair enough; it should present a clearer picture of what country fans are buying and listening to. The only problem was that Billboard proceeded to put "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift at the top of the country chart because it was a huge pop hit, even though country fans had rejected it, and everybody accused Billboard of changing the rules to benefit Taylor Swift individually (because apparently the editor of the magazine is a huge creep about her). So you had the ridiculous spectacle of Billboard spending the ensuing weeks desperately trying to cast "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" as a "pop-leaning" country song.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Axel F" made it to #1 on the UK Billboard Singles Chart back in '05, beating loving Coldplay to the top.

I'm actually not surprised by that. Even if the weird Crazy Frog toasting thing they added over the top was really, really annoying, you can still dance to "Axel F". Coldplay's stock in trade was and still is immeasurably dull dirge music.

A couple of years ago, I did a Sporcle quiz on the biggest singles in the UK in the 1990s, I've just remembered.