Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fast cars loose anus posted:

I seem to remember Jim Carrey doing his In Living Color fireman thing during a Superbowl halftime but I'm not going to be upset if someone tells me otherwise

It may be that it was on another channel while the real halftime show was put on the network that was actually showing the game

Yeah, during Super Bowl XXVI in 1992, and it got pretty decent ratings compared to the actual halftime show (Which was some ice capades stuff and Washington was beating Buffalo 24-0). The next year the NFL had Michael Jackson for halftime and nobody seriously tried to compete with that (Even though the game was meh as Dallas was similarly beating up Buffalo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JediTalentAgent posted:

For example, I seem to recall maybe in the 90s when Fox got hold of either the NFL or NHL (?) for a few years there was seen as a turning point for modern sports. They increased the number and quality of cameras on the game, they added a ton of then new, now probably normal, effects and gimmicks to watching a game, you got a lot more coverage of what was going on.

Basically, yes. Fox got rights to the NFC package of NFL games prior to the 1994 season and it was a big reason why a lot of stations became Fox affiliates. They added extra cameras and were the first network to have on screen graphics like the scoring bug and the game clock, years before anyone else tried it. They also brought over basically everything from CBS (Most notably Pat Summerall and John Madden) so it further legitimized their coverage. It also didn’t hurt that the NFC was the dominate conference during that era, so they’d get all the high profile Dallas-San Francisco-Green Bay games.

They also got the NHL a short time later and even split some of the coverage of the Stanley Cup with ESPN for a year or two, but that didn’t last very long and wasn’t nearly as impactful.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's that live album / video that Poison did in 1991 or so where C.C. DeVille does something like a 10 minute guitar solo and it's not good. It's directionless, structureless, tasteless noodling and he can't pull it off because he was never that great of a player; he was never a Randy Rhoads or a Jake E. Lee.

A few years back some website/magazine did a poll where that was voted the worst guitar solo in rock history, describing as trying to watch a guy who swears he can totally do Eruption and loving can’t get it right for like ten minutes. It’s loving terrible/hilarious.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m not sure if it would happen from repeated plays, or simply because they were played so often that they got handled more often but I definitely had CDs that became skippy/unplayable after a while with no obvious scratches or marks.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I honestly can’t explain why some CDs became skippy and others didn’t. We had copies of Van Halen’s Best Of, Vol. 1 and Rush’s Moving Pictures, the former being bought new in 1996, and both got skippy to the point of needing new copies in the early 2000s. To be fair, those CDs ended up on every road trip, played at home and countless little Discman players for years, so they got a ton of wear and tear... Yet somehow, a CD copy of Frank Zappa’s Hot Rats from the early 90s went through all of that and still works fine to this day :shrug:

This is probably more of an early 2000s thing, but burned CD-R and CD-RW discs definitely had shorter lifespans than regular CDs. After a few months of heavy usage some of those became unplayable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

:goonsay: Crystal Pepsi was gone by the time the N64 hit.

Also, I badly want to know which tape is in that preowned box...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pastry of the Year posted:

I seem to remember this being sort of a scandalous movie at the time but I'll be damned if I can remember why

I just remember Milla Jovovich from it :swoon:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably not. He was extraordinarily popular and highly paid, but died only a few weeks after he headlined the Isle of Wight festival. He's famous not just because of his playing, but because he died at the peak of his career immediately after becoming famous. By comparison, Rush was around for about 40 years before Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson's health issues forced a retirement and they're one of the most famous bands in rock history with only a single Top 40 hit.

And the fact that it’s New World Man (Which I think only peaked in the mid-20s) is kinda funny too, considering they have a bunch of other songs that are far better known and recognizable (Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio being the biggest examples).

Time to find a way to get The Fountain of Lamneth to the top of the charts!

Wait, this is the 90s thread, so let’s say Roll the Bones with it’s glorious rap section :canada:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...or did he? Apparently he's massively popular musician in Europe in general but Germany specifically. How many Americans even know he was ever a musician? One of his albums went platinum in Europe but was mostly ignored in the States.

It wasn’t unheard of. Aside from Knight Rider being a cult hit people remembered, Hasselhoff’s insane German music popularity was pretty well known and often spoofed. I think it Saturday Night Live (Or maybe just Norm MacDonald) made fun of it fairly often, and it was something that popped up in popular culture a fair bit (I’m sure The Simpsons did it at some point).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Speaking of playhouses, I'm still surprised Chuck E. Cheese is still a thing.

There’s one about a mile or two from me (Yes, Florida) that I remember going to when I was young and I took my cousins to a few times when they were little. Kids under 10 still like the games and redeeming tokens for stuff. It looks like it’s still a popular place for birthdays, sports team things, and summer school/daycare field trips, the same poo poo it always good for.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

namlosh posted:

This may be true, but Aerosmith was pretty popular when I was in high school in the early 90’s

Early stuff like ragdoll was still awesome.
They cratered the aforementioned boomers heads by teaming up with Run DMC for “walk this way”
The Pump album

They were legit, at least where I came from and had a rotation in my CD player alongside STP, Pearl Jam and RHCP among others of course :)

Not sure if :thejoke: or not, but Ragdoll wasn’t an early song from the 70s like Sweet Emotion or the original Walk This Way. It was released in 1988 and was very much part of their late 80s/90s revival.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Gone Fashing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCiXKpO94g
this is the one i saw most often along with pure moods

poo poo, I remember this still getting played on Comedy Central well into the 2000s, although I vaguely recall that they updated it to include Every Rose Has Its Thorn...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

rockinricky posted:

To me, the 80s began in 1978, when Van Halen released their first album.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
My family had been buying CDs for the home stereo in the early 90s, if not earlier, but tapes definitely were still being bought in the late 90s, if not the early 00s, because all the cars still had tape players. We didn’t get our first car with a CD player until 2002 or 2003 and it was really at that point that the tapes mostly disappeared.

There was very much a period in the late 90s where our home stereo had CD, tape, and vinyl all set up (My dad has maintained his sizable record collection since the early 70s), and I very much recall making mixes on cassettes from CDs for stuff we wanted to listen to in the car. I think I still have the case from one of them in a box somewhere...

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 05:10 on May 8, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

This was information I didn’t need, cause I’ll absolutely buy a pack if I see them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

The Wonder Years was an odd case. It was very popular in the early 90's, and then seemed to be ubiquitous in syndication until around 1998 when it just seemed to blink out of existence all together. I just looked it up, and the full series didn't appear on DVD until 2014/2015.

I was going to say, I think that’s when Nick at Nite got it, and for what it’s worth that’s what Wikipedia says:

quote:

Reruns of the show aired in syndication between September 1992 and September 1997. Nick at Nite then reran the show from October 13, 1997 to February 2, 2001. It also reran on The New TNN (January 22, 2001 to September 28, 2001), ABC Family (November 12, 2001 to October 2, 2004), Ion Television (April 2, 2007 to October 4, 2007), and The Hub (October 11, 2010 to August 31, 2012).

I’m too young to have seen the show during its original airing, and I don’t recall any of my local channels having it in syndication all that often, but I definitely recall it’s stint on Nick at Nite.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Like, I get what you’re referencing, but I don’t recall it originating from one specific show or movie or something like that. It just seemed an evolution of the exact same hand gesture and saying “crazy” or “cuckoo bird” or whatever which I remember from old Bugs Bunny cartoons and whatnot going back to the 40’s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m the VHS copy of Forrest Gump that my dad may still have in a box somewhere.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Having Bo Jackson so far down the uncool thing a few months after the hip injury that effectively ended his sports career is... odd to me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I can’t say if there was a glut of them in the 90’s off hand, but I definitely remember made for TV movies still being done into the 00’s. Even places like Comedy Central did a few around 2002-2003, and I’m pretty sure the kids channels like Nickelodeon and Disney did a bunch of TV movies as well (Either stand alone works or stuff based on a series). A lot of them, and a lot of miniseries that would have been on networks previously, seemed to move first to regular cable. A&E had a ton, IIRC, and I know networks like TBS, TNT, and USA did some as well, and then places like HBO did a number of both made for TV movies and miniseries.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I liked the Nightmares and Dreamscapes one they did on TBS in the mid-00’s, which is half the reason I know miniseries kept going at least till like 2005 or so.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For some reason (cultural cringe I suppose) it was really uncool to like Silverchair in Australia, at least where I grew up it was. People would call them Nirvana in Pyjamas. But hearing it now it's kinda nuts how good they were for 15yos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Frogstomp was pretty popular in the U.S. as well when it came out and Tomorrow got a ton of play both on radio and MTV in the last years when they were still heavily playing videos.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

wesleywillis posted:

We've kinda sorta talked about this before, but in your city/ neighborhood, who was Marilyn Manson?

Where I come from he was "the kid" (never specified which one) from Mr Belvedere.

I think a couple other people on here mentioned that where they were from, he was either Eddie Haskell of Leave It To Beaver fame, or Paul from The Wonder Years.

Brian Warner :v:

I live in South Florida, so people who were old enough either saw him when he was first starting out or even saw him around Broward College. Later on those rumors, namely the Wonder Years one, came up, but rarely got traction cause him starting in the area made him pretty well known.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

Also he had two ribs removed so he could suck his own dick.

Yeah, I remember hearing that rumor a lot more than anything about his origin.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pastry of the Year posted:

Pro wrestlers in the 90s unironically loved Zubaz.

They were also basically the official sideline pants of NFL players, coaches, and staff in the early 90’s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Killingyouguy! posted:

I completely forgot I did but I totally did

Same and same. I definitely had two or three, or somehow ended up with them...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, they're usually in the same section as the Klondike Bars, since I think they're made by them. I didn't even know Choco Tacos had gone away for any length of time...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Heath posted:

In the US Cadbury is generally just associated with Easter because of the eggs. I'm pretty sure they're always kind of, y'know, around, but not a brand name on anyone's mind until Easter.

Pretty much. This commercial, albeit in a slightly shorter form without the turtle, still airs every single year in the weeks before Easter, and it’s the only time you’ll ever see an add for Cadbury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WXqzvH4-Q

Which is fitting for this thread since it’s apparently from 1994. Unlike a lot of other old and reused commercials, such as the Hershey’s holiday bells one, the Cadbury one has never been redone and clearly shows it’s age when it’s on TV.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
It also marks the spot :pirate:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Nah, that looks earlier, like 92-93.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yes. The design is called Jazz and it's about as peak 90s as you can get. It owns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Having to watch Doug would put me on suicide watch too.

I say this, having not watched it in over 20 years, but the loving theme song is still in my head :argh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Dakota.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I think both radio and CD versions of the first Doors album from 1967 were still muting the word ‘high’ (As in “She gets high”) from Break On Through to the Other Side until like the mid-00s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

GPTribefan posted:

The one I can’t believe hasn’t been censored yet is “poo poo” in ZZ Tops’ “Legs”. That song has been played into the ground for 3+ decades and it still airs unedited every single time.

Depends on the radio station I guess, cause I’ve heard the censored version on radio more often. Of course, there’s like three or four different versions of the song to begin with (Album version and a couple different lengths of the single remix) so it doesn’t surprise me that some are edited and some aren’t.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

They still air this and the same Cadbury bunny commercial from the 90s (or earlier?) around Easter, don't they?

Yes. It’s still basically in the original aspect ratio, I think they remove a few animals from it to make it 20 or 30 seconds now, but is otherwise unchanged. It’s come up here before, as it’s apparently from 1994.

fartknocker posted:

Pretty much. This commercial, albeit in a slightly shorter form without the turtle, still airs every single year in the weeks before Easter, and it’s the only time you’ll ever see an add for Cadbury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26WXqzvH4-Q

Which is fitting for this thread since it’s apparently from 1994. Unlike a lot of other old and reused commercials, such as the Hershey’s holiday bells one, the Cadbury one has never been redone and clearly shows it’s age when it’s on TV.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m the vinyl copy of Somewhere in Time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Neito posted:

Layaway feels like a mad 90s things; do stores even do layaway anymore?

Not many or it’s not often advertised like it was back in the day. Walmart did it up until a year or two ago. I know Toys R Us was doing it until they went out of business.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

The sequel trilogy needs at least 7-10 more years before it can obtain cult like meme status. It’s future memes will be hilarious though, just gotta hold out till then.

The Clone Wars show played a big part of making people go back and reevaluate the prequels.

To make this a bit more 90s related, it’s fun noticing how the old EU books and stuff like the previously mentioned WEG sources talked about the Clone Wars before the prequels came out. The timeline and everything related to it was vague but very clearly different from what Lucas later went with.

Also the Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo N64 games were cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Splint Chesthair posted:

The only lasting memory I have of Kennedy was Martin Landau giving her poo poo on the red carpet for the first Mission Impossible movie because she didn’t know it was a TV show first.

Not that that’s a crime or anything, but I’m sure working for Fox News hasn’t changed her rigorous journalistic approach one whit.

The only reason I ever remember her is Nirvana’s Unplugged show.

At one point near the end, they jokingly ask for suggestions or requests on what to play and a woman loudly yells “Rape Me!”. Everyone laughs a little, I think Dave Grohl asks “Is that Kennedy?”, and Cobain smirks and says “I don’t think MTV would let us play that.”