Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Was Faith no More never that successful in america? A bunch of their songs still get regular radio play here in Australia and any rock/metal head is pretty familiar with Mike Patton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Kiedis and Patton were both signed to Warner, who ended up doing zero marketing for Mr Bungle's California and bumped it back because the Chili Peppers were releasing Californication at the same time in 1999, which Kiedis wasn't happy about. Kiedis also got Mr Bungle kicked out of a bunch of festivals because part of his contract gave him a say in who could and couldn't perform.

Patton has claimed he has no idea why Kiedis has such a grudge, but it allegedly started in 1990 when Kiedis said in an interview "My drummer says he’s gonna kidnap [Patton], shave his hair off and cut off one of his feet, just so he’ll be forced to find a style of his own". Patton repeatedly said to the press that he didn't really care what Kiedis thought, and that he felt the two bands sounded very different (with RHCP being more funk, FNM being more rock - and after The Real Thing FNM never made an album that sounded even remotely like RHCP).

So after Kiedis completely hosed over Mr Bungle, the band did a few gigs where they did covers of RHCP songs (not even taking the piss, they were decent covers) and Kiedis got even more mad. California sold really poorly and Mr Bungle ended up disbanding. FNM did get back together for a very good new album a few years ago, though!

PS: One Hot Minute is the best RHCP album, and it's nowhere near as good as anything FNM or Mr Bungle ever put out.

“I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the gently caress is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” - Nick Cave

Nutsngum has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Jul 31, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

lol

RHCP is much, much better than a one hit wonder like FNM or a no hit wonder like Mr Bungle.

More like Red Hot lovely Poopers.

Seriously though, Anthony Keledis is an awful singer and its a miracle they can get him sounding even remotely decent for the studio albums.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking how its weird the Cure song I hear the most is Friday I'm In Love. I guess it was their last major hit? It's just weird because like Just Like Heaven is a superior song but its just as poppy and happy as the other.

Im not gonna comment on personal taste, but Just like heaven is nowhere near as catchy or has even close to as good a hook as Friday im in love. Makes perfect sense to me.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlZiRYlo6k

every hot 100 billboard song of the 90s, ranked by performance

There is a massive heap of forgotten music in there, certainly a bunch I cant really remember. Also I forgot how much Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson dominated that time period.

Also LOL at Smooth being up at no1 there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Just Like Heaven is better, don't @me

A fight in which everybody wins.

Randaconda posted:

Right? I can remember every year of the 90s, and there's some songs I can't remember at all.

Every decade seems to be like this though. If you go and watch Todd in the shadow's worst songs of XXXX year they are inevitably half full of wretched songs that no one has remembered since they first charted.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

drat I can totally hear Riker saying that.

First 2 seasons of TNG are extra 90s with their music choices. So many synths and windchimes.

Thats impressively 90s for a show that started in 1987. :v:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh god, I just remembered Pay if forward. If there's one good thing to come from Spacey's outing, it's that catholic schools will no longer play that movie endlessly.

In Australia there were a couple of free internet providers that "made money" by playing ads to the user from a background client. This loving movie was constantly played through that ad program and to this day the entire concept of it makes me want to vomit.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS: DRAGONS!

The secret ingredient is always teamwork you complete bufoon. Or is it love?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

Wasn't psx its codename in production or something like that?

It makes sense considering the Play Station (two words) was the name of the super nintendo CD addon Sony was developing with Nintendo until they got shafted and went their own way.

Tack on the X and its their "2nd" prototype/console in a way.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I've seen lists like "top one hit wonders of the 80s" that are nothing but New Order, depeche mode, the smiths, the cure, souxsie and the banshees, becuase they only ever had one no 1 single, even though they produced hits and well selling albums for years, even if they never had another no 1. No a one hit wonder if someone who comes out, had a HUGE MASSIVE HIT and the just never lives up to it. Imagine if Lady Gaga came out with Just Dance and then Poker Face just utterly failed. I'd also put the cavet of One Hit Wonder in your county, because I'd love to know what stuff that were huge in the US were one in the UK, i know Rage Against the Machine did that. And Blur was huge in the UK and the US only ever had Song 2 I think be a hit? If I remember Boys and Girls charted pretty high in Canada.

Maybe I'll necro it when I have some time. When I post a yt link I always try to at least lable it, if not have a personal anecdote about why i posted it.

Todd in the Shadows's one hit wonderland basically narrows it down to "Bands that are known for just one song" which helps remove well known bands that never charted well but had long critically acclaimed and successful careers. He even says himself though that its flawed with bands that barely break into the US but were massive overseas or in their home countries.

Its strange as an Australian being exposed to a lot of popular british music that you find out just never went anywhere in America. Or discovering that what you thought were well known hit songs from years ago were actually always local bands that never went anywhere in other countries.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Gone Fashing posted:

yeah that episode of one hit wonderland is one of my favorites, because Midnight Oil is a really cool band and Peter Garrett owns, but as an american i just vaguely remember hearing that song on the radio a few times when i was a kid

Its extremely weird hearing about Midnight Oil from people in other countries as the band is so quintessentially Australian from the sound to the lyrics to the politics behind it all that they've become a cultural icon as well as a rock band. Its not the kind of thing that really translates well to overseas.

Made it weirder driving through Switzerland and suddenly Beds are Burning came on the radio.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

namlosh posted:

Yeah I don’t know how you love Airheads and hate Empire Records.

IMO, Airheads is fine but Empire Records is way better. But I’m no film critic

Plus I admit that I do have skin in the game since I say this all the time:
“drat the man! Save the empire!”

My biggest issue with Empire Records is that for an ensemble character movie there isnt any likeable characters at all. They lean into insufferably bad character traits and it all kind of just comes together at the end in an unearned fashion that doesnt redeem any of them.

Perhaps I should give it another shot but I tried honestly to watch it in my late 20's and it just did not work.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

So yea. I used to think AiC unplugged was like the tightest hour long set, but it turns out the 50 some minutes of music took over 6 hours to film. You can hear their manager audibly cry on the album, because he did not think Layne could possibly perform.

Came to basically say this. There were a few songs that took about 4 goes to get right. Layne is just so out of it even by then. :(

Nirvana is the one that is basically one long take, theres basically only a bit of dialogue that is exempt from the "album" release and considering Cobain was all over the shop when live it was its absolute lightning in a bottle as far as quality.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

You're all clearly not spending enough time in the Simpsons memes thread

Yeah thats a pretty common "x is missing, ill tell the children" meme on the simpsons groups I look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For some reason (cultural cringe I suppose) it was really uncool to like Silverchair in Australia, at least where I grew up it was. People would call them Nirvana in Pyjamas. But hearing it now it's kinda nuts how good they were for 15yos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Odd, in my school Silverchair were huge when Freakshow came out. They were really very very talented but I wish Daniel Johns had just retired the name entirely and just made a new band as the Young Modern album was just an entirely different form of music.