Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zook
Not really sure where to post this, since it seems to cover stuff in Business, Finance, Careers, YLLS, and maybe TCC or E/N, so I guess this forum is like a catch all?

Anyway, I introspecting earlier today and looking at the parts of myself I want to change or improve. I started to wonder how realistic it is for sometime to make a radical shift in the way they live their life, especially without any major triggering event, so hey, why not try it myself and find out.

A little background on myself, I'm in my mid-20's, don't really have any depression or emotional stuff like that, in a pretty happy relationship, however;

• I drink 2-4 energy drinks a day
  • I have 1-3 drinks 2-4 days on the week days
  • I binge drink (5-14 drinks) every Friday and Saturday
  • I smoke a pack a day
  • I constantly eat out or eat junk food
  • I work out ~4 times a week, but not as much/as well as I used to
  • I'm currently between 10-20lbs overweight

Things I want to do to change this:

• Quit Smoking
  • Cut out all Caffeine
  • Limit my drinking to 1-3 beers on Friday and Saturday, no drinking on the Weekdays
  • Don't eat out, don't buy junkfood/crap
  • Spend more time in the Gym/Running

I'm going to use this thread to maintain accountability of myself, listing my daily spending, posting if I gently caress up and smoke, or if I drink during the week or binge drink on the weekends, as well as keeping track of any caffeine I have. I'll also post how much/how I work out daily.

I think it will be interesting to document how my attitude/mental well being changes with these effects and to really test my own willpower/resolve.

If anyone else has similar goals and would like to post them or piggy back onto this thread feel free. Cheers. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage For The Winjun

lol

Mathhole

rot in hell, wonderbread.
Awwwww poo poo! It begin.

Good luck friend

Full-Bodied Flavor

hello zook, it looks like you have come to the right place for advice on life improvement!

Full-Bodied Flavor

have you ever had a bit of the.... how do you say.. 420?

Savage For The Winjun

a drunk girl once told me weed increases ur metabolism by 50% and i have believed this ever since

Zook

Full-Bodied Flavor posted:

have you ever had a bit of the.... how do you say.. 420?

I used to smoke pot, when I was a teenager, but I haven't in a few years now. It makes me pretty lazy/unmotivated, I think because when I smoke it I'm pretty content with sitting around doing nothing, or watching cartoons or whatever. I don't have anything against people who does use it though.

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Zook posted:

I used to smoke pot, when I was a teenager, but I haven't in a few years now. It makes me pretty lazy/unmotivated, I think because when I smoke it I'm pretty content with sitting around doing nothing, or watching cartoons or whatever. I don't have anything against people who does use it though.

you're smoking the wrong pot, brother

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
good weed should make you a highly prolific, contributing member of society. you know, like snoop dogg

City of Glompton

sitting around doing nothing sounds like a pretty good way to solve some (admittedly not all) of the problems in your op, actually.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Zook posted:

• I smoke a pack a day

These are all expensive things. You'd actually save money if you quit all of them and only took up weed (though I'm not saying to do so). Keep in mind every time you buy a pack of cigarettes, or buy alcohol or an energy drink, or go out to eat, how much you are spending. It adds up. That's money you could be spending on something cool that will last you a lot longer.

FluffieDuckie

the best i can tell, zook actually posted this here. i had assumed it got moved here from another forum.

zook honey you're going to get 5 pages of "smoke weed" advice with several interspersed "kill yourself"s for good measure.

but i'll go ahead and wish you luck. we could all stand to improve ourselves, i'm just not sure documenting it here is going to be your best choice

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Blazing Zero

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
please dont kill yourself

Savage For The Winjun

probate anyone who says kill urself, that is unchill as gently caress

Zook
I have no interest in taking up smoking weed again, I know how it effects me, and all it does is make me complacent with whatever is normally going on in my life. I used to be a "every day" weed smoker when I was younger, and the result is not one that is for me personally. Thanks for the advice/encouragement though.

edit: Also I'm not suicidal, or even depressed, so you don't have to worry about me killing myself.

FluffieDuckie

Blazing Zero posted:

please dont kill yourself

Twilight Matrix posted:

probate anyone who says kill urself, that is unchill as gently caress

you're both good people

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Blazing Zero

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Zook posted:

I have no interest in taking up smoking weed again, I know how it effects me, and all it does is make me complacent with whatever is normally going on in my life. I used to be a "every day" weed smoker when I was younger, and the result is not one that is for me personally. Thanks for the advice/encouragement though.

edit: Also I'm not suicidal, or even depressed, so you don't have to worry about me killing myself.
if you do anything a lot and every day, it's bad for you. if you love caffeine and want to switch it up, look up a tea called yerba mate. it has a stimulant but its different from caffeine. the smell might put you off, but it tastes really good with creamer.

the unabonger

Zook posted:

• I smoke a pack a day
  • I work out ~4 times a week, but not as much/as well as I used to
  • I'm currently between 10-20lbs overweight

Things I want to do to change this:

• Quit Smoking
  • Cut out all Caffeine
  • Limit my drinking to 1-3 beers on Friday and Saturday, no drinking on the Weekdays
  • Don't eat out, don't buy junkfood/crap
  • Spend more time in the Gym/Running

Stop doing the smoking and the energy drinks and junk food and you can have extra money for the bae. Add some workout with the bae for more time together and a workout partner (super helpful for making sure you actually get up and do things) Also, cut out the drinks and junk food and some of the drinking and you might lose the weight just from those. Changed my diet last year and lost 15 lbs without adding any movement.

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
quit smoking cigarettes, altering your mind with alcohol, and getting high on caffeine by smoking weed, altering your mind with weed, and getting high on weed.

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month
serious reply: find a buddy that also wants to quit smoking\reduce alcohol consumption\maintain a healthier lifestyle. try to set similar goals for both of you and check up on each other as much as possible.

this will add the ego factor (not wanting to look like a weak-willed pussy) to the process, and improve your chances.

I do the same with running, works relatively well.

pogi

don't kill yourself and smoke weed only if you want to OP

seriously tho i gotta give you props for improving yourself man

cuntman.net

find a hobby

Louis
I don't think you should drink so many energy drinks.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
start posting on byob regularly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Good luck.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Louis posted:

I don't think you should drink so many energy drinks.

City of Glompton

good morning zook, how are you feeling today? are things going well on the road to improvement?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Sleepy Sip

did you try murdereing you're famil?

Dexters Secret

http://www.amazon.com/ProLab-Caffeine-Maximum-Potency-100-Count/dp/B0011865IQ get these and a pill cutter for your caffeine addiction OP, going cold turkey is doable but it's not worth it

dogdisaster

by Lowtax
cutting back on your liquor will do wonders for your exercise/gains/whatever

good luck, on your journey

----------------

froward

by Azathoth
OP you should anticipate that your friends who still drink/smoke/caffienate will pressure you into picking up your old habits, so they don't feel bad about their poor habits. This leads to one of the hardest things about breaking addiction (for some people): ending old friendships and building new ones, from scratch. It isn't easy.

best of luck, let us know how it goes!

----------------

mags
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
wtf is a bae

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
the unabonger

CAT BRUSH posted:

wtf is a bae

just a term of endearment

the unabonger
me and the bae finna hit up the weed spot and get blazed as gently caress

heard u like girls

i wish you the best of luck OP

id advise against trying to quit too many things at once but alcohol and smoking kinda go hand in hand

----------------

alnilam

ZooOOooOooOok

bwatts

another byob success story

Carecat

I'm sick, help me instead

emmie

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing