Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Could be wrong but I always assumed the reason it doesn't have sound is because it's filmed in Quebec so they'd be speaking a mix of french, english and frenglish. This way they can show it on both french and english stations without having to subtitle it or whatever.
It's the resulting universality that makes it a great addition to airplane entertainment-on-demand systems, so travelers from all over the world can enjoy it. There are worse ways to while away a long flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They're gorgeous. We see the occasional waxwing here, too, but they tend to eat fermenting berries off the neighbor's tree and fly into our front windows. :( Buzzed flying is drunk flying!
We buried one of those unfortunate cedar waxwings once; it was shocking how beautiful it was up close.

Then the squirrels get into the act:

But I love birds and despise squirrels, and the squirrels never seem to fling themselves headlong at our house. At least...not without help.

:getin:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

http://www.birdsavers.com/
It has a DIY guide to making curtains to stop birds from hitting windows.
Thanks very much for that; the usual suggestions weren't helping. Although I did enjoy the male cardinal who would hang out at our window all day during mating season challenging his reflection by pecking at the glass.

(not the cardinal in question)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I always focus on the liver for some reason. That thing gets wrecked.
And that's why you're not supposed to drink while pregnant.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

David Bowie has heterochromia? :aaa:
Old eye injury that blew one pupil.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I know this isn't the ideal thread to ask but does anyone have a link to something that explains how to get those corrupted video effects where the video sort of freezes up and it can end up looking like a drat nightmare? I'm having no luck googling it and I could really use it for a project.
It's called datamoshing. There look to be tons of tutorials online. Good luck!

e: :argh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

This, however, is real.

No, it isn't.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

And again, please?
The one with Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe is A Young Doctor's Notebook. Google is your friend.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do you even know a kid that size needs glasses? And how do you figure out the right prescription? These questions keep me up at night.
From what I read about that particular cutie (I'm on my tablet and can't check easily right now), she had a genetic issue that included poor eyesight as a known symptom. That answers your first question, at least: They saw it coming expected her to need them pretty much out of the gate, so to speak.

That first big smile is her seeing her mom for the first time, I think. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hobojim posted:

A bit late, but why the hell would a paint presentation have an anti-cancer drug on their presentation slide? I'm very confused. :psyduck:
Because it's a cleverly disguised ad for said anti-cancer drug?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

No one notices the car on the right. :saddowns:

There's a very mundane explanation, of course.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fire Storm posted:

Australia, based on the news reports I've seen. And someone DID shoot one of them.
Nah, that was just a rumor.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

At what point will a steel tanker implode on itself due to a substantial pressure differential among outside forces.

It can be done reliably on a smaller scale at home by boiling water in a metal container, sealing it, and dousing it in a metal container.
Isn't this what they do at, say, Starbucks, when they shoot steam inside an empty milk jug to collapse it?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

You can also fill bottles using steam vacuation.
I think this is how my coffeemaker works.

http://i.imgur.com/oD7HkYO.webm

(Mine's electric.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I've got a box of about 6 of those Cona coffee makers of various ages. They're really fun and make an ok cup of coffee.
Did the shirtless old man come with, or was he sold separately?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think my favorite MXC moment still has to be when a contestant carefully peeked around a corner in the giant-rock maze only to see someone standing there who proceeds to bean her with a giant rock. :allears: If I have the time, I'll try to find it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And the mob on the ridge shouting "GET ON WITH IT!" Please. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I see he's reached the catnip center. :catdrugs:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Now that belongs in the knockoffs thread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Man, even the next first spouse is going to be disappointing? :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Knight2m posted:

He's good. Usually you need a reed.
Not SERGIO!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Recently Japan has had to make laws on what the upper-limits should be for game shows after that one guy lived in isolation for months on live TV and could only get food if a certain sports team won a game.
Nasubi? Fifteen months, can you believe that? :stare:

The link to Quirky Japan Homepage at the bottom of that page is a good one, too. Lots of pictures.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Trivia posted:

My WWII-era grandparents would always give me those when they came to visit, and they sucked.

Just awful.
The real ones (Bontan Ame) are fantastic, though--always soft, delicately flavored. They never last long around me, so I'm glad they're relatively hard to find (and pricey) here in metro Detroit.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm impressed that they had the forethought to turn on the hazards. Unless the lightning did that for them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Unperson_47 posted:

Now I need to see more as-see-on-TV commercial alternate reality full of gently caress-ups from other countries.
Oh, man, that'd be great. :allears:

Believe it or not, that's the "after" footage. (It's a commercial for a snap-and-sell app called Mercari. That's just what the guy wanted, and he's ever so grateful he didn't have to pay full retail price for his new-to-him nunchucks!)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Turning left, from the centre lane, while having zero visibility due to a utility truck, then slamming into a cop car. Jesus.
Stuff like that should really be license revoked for life. Sorry you're just not cut out to operate a vehicle on public streets.
It wasn't even the center lane--that, at least, is a turn lane (though pretty full of people waiting for their, uh, turn). This guy went above and beyond, truly.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

In the US the stickers on fruits and veggies are food grade, made with edible paper and adhesive.
They're not. Probably won't kill you if you eat one, but they're not made to be edible.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It hardly matters now; The Mooch has resigned.

But I'd like to see them, too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

sandoz posted:

the what?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So there were two of them? Color me surprised. :geno:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Somfin posted:

That's a hosed title if I ever heard one.

E:
The Last Guardian 2: Another One.
The Last Guardian 2: Recount.
The Last Guardian 2: Whoops.
The Other Last Guardian
The Last Guardian, uh, 2?: poo poo.

Final Fantasy XV.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My kid got a version of that in an inexpensive magic kit. Here's a nicer version.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Cooking gifs?

Oh! I translated that. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Why does this look like it's on the Married with Children set?
Because it's from Married with Children.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

its just boilogy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat. I can actually hear the Pointer Sisters watching that gif.
No poo poo. It stayed frozen on the first frame and I was like aw, man

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I'm now watching a bunch of clips of Akira 100%'s act on YouTube and it is all very good.
:agreed:
I caught him on live TV a couple times last year and it's great watching the guests and audience react. I was pleasantly surprised to see those GIFs here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tommy gun