Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KiteAuraan posted:

There is a whole big fandom of people that are basically like Klingon nerds but for Mandalorians. They learn the language, make the armor, try to live like in the Traviss books, it's p. funny.

i want to see these people. i imagine they do crossfit because it looks hardcore and is marketed as a warrior code and is equally dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KiteAuraan posted:

close, krav maga, swords and "lightsaber training".

But I thought mangos hated Jedi

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

keep up with the thread, according to that really bad author they are the ones who teach the padawans their lightsaber skills

Oh ok. I had encyclopedic knowledge of the movie stuff at one point due to the card game but never the EU past a couple books. This is confusing lol

Imagine if they made wraith squadron into a miniseries. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

reminder that EU stuff is all folk tales and urban legends star wars people tell each other around the campfire, so it doesn't really have a bearing on anything and boba fett is just some dude who likes dressing up as them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saalkin posted:

Boba fett is a big beta bitch

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Acne Rain posted:

tell me something funny that happened in the expanded universe

like luke fell in love with a computer program or something?

Top gun in space featuring an Ewok pilot

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I clicked on the legends explanation on wookieepedia and sure enough there's a lengthy explanation about it that is probably longer than the theological apocrypha slap fights that's been going on for hundreds of years

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Same this is only acceptable if there's a jedi graboid whose mouth tentacles each have a lightsaber

Who would win between that guy and lightsaber knees??

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crowsbeak posted:

I never knew Aaron Aliston died, he actually wrote fun stuff. We got the Gamorean fighter pilot from him. :(

Oh no :ohdear: those books were the only good ones from the EU

Don Gato posted:

Just imagine what new terrible heights the EU can go from a completely fresh start. Maybe every character and object from the trailer will get elaborate backstories and turn out to have saved the universe. Even the faceless stormteoopers.

Oh boy I can't wait to hear the fans make jokes about the black storm trooper stealing the Death Star plans

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

5er posted:

He was a fat guy named 'Porkins'. His presence in the movie was a lovely pun. Some jackass was really inspired to try to develop a lovely pun joke that lasted barely enough time to bother remembering, into a 'kickass smuggler' backstory? This is kind of pathetic.

Why is Porkins in the Lego x-wing? There's an R2 droid and a Luke, but instead of Wedge or Biggs or Garvin Dreis there's Porkins lol

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/X-Wing-Starfighter-9493

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Little kid looking for a toy to ask Santa for Xmas, sees the row upon row of leftover toys since its Xmas eve. He looks behind all the Luke sky walkers and Han Solos and Darth Vader and looks disappointed. His parents grow confused. Don't you want these instead? Pointing to the famous characters. He shakes his head. I'm sorry son, why don't we ask Santa for one of these aliens instead? Maybe this man from cloud city with the ice cream maker? He's popular, right? No, all I want is the fat x-wing pilot. All my friends have him, he's really popular.

Well I'm sorry son, there doesn't seem to be one. He tearfully pulls out a piece of paper, looks down at the god tier that only has one name: Jek Porkins, and looks a few lines down to Tier 1a. He looks over once more and sees that little green alien that shot at Han, knowing he's got a rough year ahead of him.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dammit I was writing that up when someone posted first :mad:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, what's the story behind the red astromech droid the Jawas want to sell to the Skywalkers, but that explodes before the deal? What amazing adventures; which crime syndicate die it bust before Episode IV?

None. Wasn't in the prequels nor clone wars. Anything else is tall tales told around the campfire.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just wish there was more of a feeling behind Yoda's hermitage. If he hid not only due to being hunted down but as penance after realizing that those clone troopers weren't disposable people at all but that even he as a wise master didn't see that. :ohdear: Would've only taken like 30s of screen time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Inevitable posted:

Wait, Yoda made the clones? What the hell?

I seriously couldn't make any sense of those stupid movies.

He was complicit in their use. There's even evidence that he led them to battle and didn't flinch as legions of them died under his control. *then sheds a tear for the Jedi babies*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

"the executioner is the most mightiest ship in the galaxy"
*gets destroyed by a-wing flying into command tower*

hubris slays us all

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

blowfish posted:

ok let me help you out

:eek: this is even more sexualized and creepy than the other pic with the nice young woman.

PostNouveau posted:

Does the people in the EU ever get to Earth? How long is "a long time ago"? Tell me a Jedi built the pyramids with his force powers.

Han and Chewie went to the future through a wormhole. Chewie is actually the Yeti. The EU is dumb and nothing of value was lost when it was all demoted to legends status

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

yea ok

Nsfw~

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Is this goatse? Its goatse isn't it as that could be the only appropriate response?

It's plausibly canon if that's what you're asking

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sentient Data posted:

Askajian females: fat rolled multi-breasted.
:barf:
Wtf dude that's why I put a nsfw warning

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Which movie is this I want to see some Princess Leia titties

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The football droid was really cool. Should've been named G7-B1

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Boba Fett action figure was a mail-away and came out before the Empire Strikes Back was released. Boba Fett also showed up in the holiday special. They hyped up Boba Fett as "the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy" and said he was this mysterious badass in the marketing, but he didn't do much in the actual movies. Also, he looks cool.

Then the EU and prequels went hog wild capitalizing on his popularity. If getting beaten by a blind man and getting eaten by a sand vagina doesn't ruin his mystique, all the plethora of Boba Fett EU stories and seeing him as a little kid in episode II sure do.

The thing is, some things are just best left up to the imagination and are best left unsaid. Something a lot of people found appealing about Star Wars was how it we were suddenly thrust into a bizarre alien world with weird stuff left and right that they didn't explain felt like it was part of a bigger universe. The Clone Wars? What was that? What's the deal with that Boba Fett guy?

The EU explains everything. Every single alien in the Cantina has a backstory. And he's probably a badass and knows the main characters somehow. The Star Wars movies were filled to the brim with imagination and wonder. The EU explains every little detail and sweeps it all away. If there was a character in the movies who was an alien, all members of his species do what he does. Every other person with a Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler or Politician. There aren't any other walks of life. The Force has no mystery - it's become mundane. The Star Wars EU is a black hole of imagination. It takes creativity and drowns it.

Welp. After all these years you have put into words what I've always disliked about LOTR and Dune. I couldn't ever really figure it out but now I know. Those genealogies and over explained historical footnotes that nobody cares about right there. And you're punished for it if you don't look in one of the 50 appendices at the back cuz the book assumes you've memorized it already.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

shiksa posted:

oh man, you'd really hate asoiaf then

Pretend I found and quoted that poo poo water passage here

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's a convenience thing used as a literary tool, just like stereotypes. And Vader's box for aesthetics like someone said a page back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pink Fett is cool and graffitis everywhere. Little kid has a weaker version of Chewbacca's bowcaster so it's no more stupid than that, a future laser crossbow

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beanieson posted:

How the gently caress do you ban a naturally occurring crystal galaxy wide??????

The U.S. can't even keep drugs from crossing the border lol

Ask the diamond industry how they go about keeping an artificially inflated price

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The added blu Ray scene with Luke making his saber was actually p good. They should've made it an '80s style montage with goggles like the Dagobah training montage

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

muscles like this? posted:

The Luke bit was a legit deleted scene that hadn't been seen before.

Yeah it was a good scene imo. It wasn't like the Lucas adding rocks to R2D2 scene

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Booblord Zagats posted:

Incase the kid playing with it drops it, it can still be canon?

Lol, p heavy for a kid imo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I remember the card game and toys had the word with but don't think it was ever in the OT. When I did hear it, I thought it was just a synonym for dark Jedi.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember a book as a kid that was all just back stories for the aliens and poo poo in the Cantina when Luke and Han were there, almost all of them were awful, but the worst was the dude that looked like a walking penis being this huge plant biologist there to meet with someone about the fate of the universe revolving around some gay tree he was trying to save or find or some poo poo.

Half the meetings at that bar were all things that put the fate of the galaxy on their shoulders. I wonder how many times a decision worth more than the cost of a good DUI lawyer has been made at a Chili's

They were all drug deals, if my local Chili's is indicative. That tree is a drug tree

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Both that and breasts are not canon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

beanieson posted:

Kotor still owns btw, I ressurected a long dormant steam account & $6 later I'm living it up on tattoine hunting krayt dragons:snoop:

In trying to run the old discs but it won't work and I don't want to pony up more money for it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elukka posted:

You knew Darth Vader's glove couldn't be just a glove:

He once grabbed a dude in the films, so obviously he wears a special Mandalorian glove- sorry, Crushgaunt - with grip-augmentation circuitry.

Dac is another name for Mon Calamari.

Ahahaha of course someone used the name of the tiger from Jungle Book. There's space squids and space hot chocolate, of course there are space tigers :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

blowfish posted:

You left out the best part:

:goonsay:

But did it have plans to the Death Star???

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Calling dibs on the part where the garbage man runs into R2 in the sand crawler while being a hobo before finding life's true calling

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Janitor did a brief stint as a bounty hunter cleaning up scum and villainy but even he was too extreme for Vader's request, so he put on a Trandoshan costume he found in the first Death Star compactor and went under the alias Bossk

Lucky for Han, Fett got there first

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hingehead posted:

To be fair, the rancor part happens a split second in a moment of chao. As for the speeder, they don't outright call it snowspeeder.

Oh yeah I found a few more

- Wicket
- Gammorean Guard
- Bib Fortuna
- Mon Calimari Cruiser
- Prune face
- B Wing ( That we only saw for a split second in a far distance shot)
- A wing
- Blockade Runner
- Tantive IV
- Ugnaught
- Lobot
- Dengar / IG-88 / Bossk / 4 Lom / Zuckess

I actually like the way they did it instead of the successors like transformers which specified the correct name of the toy every time it was mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn't know the new Star Wars came out Wednesday so when I went to the shop today they were all sold out of the nice variant cover. :(

• Locked thread