Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dely Apple posted:

Wow even the blue elephant guy had a name

The fat dude who cried on the rancor had a name

I bet every single thing in the cantina has a name and a lightsaber

every single character who is onscreen for a second in the original trilogy probably has some terrible book all about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Wicker Man posted:

Isn't there supposed to be some EU guy that's an alien who exudes sex hormones that are so strong it's like poison or burns people or some stupid poo poo like that?

oh, that guys me

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Leviathan Song posted:

I can't believe no one has mentioned Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Luke and Leia go to a swamp planet looking for a ruby that amplifies force powers to infinity. They bang in the cockpit of a Y-Wing. Then they kill Darth Vader by pushing him down a well. It's actually worse than it sounds.

should have been how the movie went imo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lmao willrow hood.

god drat george lucas made so much money.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

e: ^^ oh my god darth insanius?

ThePutty posted:

why don't the writers just tell george lucas to go gently caress himself and write what they want

like why is george THAT involved in dumb glorified fan-fiction

because george lucas is a sperg control freak idiot who got free reign on a media empire.

the only eu thing i ever had besides video games was this big illustrated book of characters from the movies and eu stuff. there were a couple characters who seemed kind of cool but even in the official lucas-approved media 90% of the eu characters sounded goofy as gently caress. to a child.

oh speaking of video games, can we talk about masters of teras kasi? it had it all, lovely virtua fighter aping gameplay, lightsabers you could bonk on people 20 times before they fell down, and an eu character who was basically just "lovely knockoff boba fett"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skywalker_Tour

like, sure, if there was a savior of the universe that everyone knew about as it was happening, im sure there'd be touristy poo poo about said savior of the universe

at the same time you're putting tour groups with fanny packs in your book?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

dog buttz posted:

Cortosis would short out any blade which hit it and that seems kind of gimmicky. If it was made of phrik or mandalorian iron it would just block it.

yeah youre right those explanations are total bullshit. where's the science abrams!!!!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Some people are mad there's a black Stormtrooper in the episode VII trailer because all the Empire soldiers were British and apparently there is no such thing as a black British guy.

yeah but theres no black space british people

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

kingcom posted:

The longer the EU lasted the more it turns out that there were no villains ever and the constantly rampage of destruction across the galaxy was actually just a series of social mistakes.

but then lucas comes in bumbling with some project that creates the most GGURRRRRR GOOD GUYS GOOD BAD GUYS BAD dichotomy possible.

then the eu starts anew

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lmao "hey did anyone happen to ever take a picture of chewbacca? i should have asked before i started working on this sculpture, this one looks like a mongoloid."

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lmao i looked up that blue dude cause i forgot who that was (didnt watch the prequels more than once because they are bad) and i completely forgot that the person they have propose giving more power to palpatine was god drat jar jar

this isnt even eu this is real-rear end canon, jar jar binks is chiefly responsible for the star wars universe getting so jacked up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Sleazebaggano

jesus christ what is wrong with george lucas, he is a grown rear end man.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

did anyone ever write a story about luke skywalker or han kickin the bucket?

like, the balls on that guy

im just kidding lucas would never ever put a main character in mortal danger, qui-gon was the closest he got and he only put that dude in one movie.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Then Han limps home to his space apartment and Carrie Fisher is leaning against the hearth trying to be sexy in the Jabba slave outfit. All across America, shocked and unexpectedly erect nerds drown in movie theaters filled to the ceiling with vomit.

have you seen carrie fisher lately?

spoiler alert: would

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

looking back im actually pretty proud of the restraint george lucas showed by not naming him mace calrissian

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

dog buttz posted:

Samuel L. Jackson was originally slated to appear as Grando Calrissian, Lando's father. Even when there isn't a connection, there was supposed to be a connection.

ahahaha oh my god you arent kidding

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

the calrissian family was famous and widespread. a cousin of lando's was a famous actor in the theaters of coruscant, brando calrissian

his uncle was a ferocious warrior and bounty hunter, mando calrissian

his brother owned an 1/8th of the surface of tattooine, sando calrissian

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

heres a drawing of princess leia kicking something called prince xixor in the dick

i believe this is the only part of the eu that is still canon

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

very successful failures

wait we're talking about eu writers who came up with the bullshit reasoning behind it, not lucas

i wouldnt mark garbage-tier writers as very successful

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

how much do y'all think those eu writers brought in for those books vs. lucas?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

enough that to call them failures at their craft is ignorant

yeah but very successful is pushing it was my particular point

george lucas is extremely successful

your average eu writer is getting paid to write, which is pretty good considering your average writer, but i wouldnt go "oh wow he's so successful, he wrote 4 terrible star wars books"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

SaltLick posted:

http://time.com/3630886/star-wars-vii-the-force-awakens-trailer-names/

new star wars names are just as bad

boy im so scared of a dark jedi named kylo ren :jerkbag:

black guy named Finn you see it harkens back to mark twain its poetry

im gonna write the first poe dameron book, get out in front of that

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

allegience was pretty cool with the rouge stormtroopers

im pretty sure the rouge stormtroopers are just the imperial guard guys

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Wedge is also Ewan McGregor's real life Uncle.

learned a lot of completely useless trivia today

the darth maul fight is actually pretty dope. between that and the podracing video game episode 1 actually had some redeeming features.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

star wars zombies should have been the last eu book and then shut it down and slit the throat of the author as a ritual sacrifice at the altar of creative bankruptcy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

did you know that mace windu, one of three black people in star wars, technically isnt human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

yep there's a special black people sub-species of humans in the eu.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

wasnt dash rendar basically "han solo but cooler"?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

(The Force in the Korun language, the literal translation was "jungle mind")

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

quote:

The frog-dog Buboicullaar lived as "Bubo," a pet to a tribe of Jawas, even allowing them to keep him on a leash. In reality, Buboicullaar was secretly plotting to kill Jabba the Hutt.
christ

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

requesting namechange to trillrow hood

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Technically it's real but the EU Council of Elders basically retconned it all to "never happened" status because the writer went off the reservation. As opposed to Pheremone Date Rape Guy, whose storyline was the focus of a massive marketing push with a video game and everything.

Oh, I did forget a certain series of video games that I'm glad happened earlier:

SUPER STAR WARS

Vaguely follow the plot of the first three movies, meeting all the cast of characters who incidentally appeared, and slaughter them. It's one of the better Super Nintendo games. Also the bottom of the sand crawler has a lava monster that kidnapped R2D2. You know, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb39BV6Gs40&t=1030s

Super Star Wars was fairly challenging but I never beat Super Return of the Jedi because escaping out of the exploding Death Star was just about impossible, so in my Official Super Star Wars continuity, the black guy dies at the end. I never got Super Empire Strikes Back but I hear Darth Vader was similarly difficult.

i had the game boy versions of the empire and rotj games

rotj was pretty great (as far as i remember) and i got to flying the millenium falcon into the second death star. never beat it cause it got hard and i lose patience with video games. empire was super clunky and not nearly as fun.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Man, that guy was a weirdo. If I remember correctly, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" has a group marriage where the youngest wife (I think she was underage as well) married into her own parent's marriage.

didnt know warren jeffs wrote scifi, cool

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

5er posted:

Haha it's so cute, the little things they come up with to give the concept of the Force simple, lovely gimmicks. 'Lol he never learned 'basic' so his mind can't be jedi tricked,' or 'lol there's a lizard that makes a no-force bubble I CALLED IT NO TAKEBACKS INFINITY'. It's not magic, it's Calvinball for towering spergfernos with power fantasies.

which just makes the squabbling over that god drat lightsaber in the new trailer even sillier

the eu has a long, proud history of just making poo poo up to justify whatever "cool" thing the author wants to jam into the story.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

A lot of the issues with the prequels are directly related to this, tho.

if you discount the literally retarded scripts sure

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

But Boner from Growing Pains is obviously the best Joker ever, much better than all those award winning actors who portrayed him in so call "real" Batman movies.

well now youve done it i had to go look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7d3lIAkes
please tell me fatman getting hosed up by predators is considered top-tier fan film poo poo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

actualy its hilarious bc porkins is revered as one of the all time greatest heroes of the rebellion

eu writers know their audience

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Spakstik posted:

Tarkin's first name is Grand Moff, just like how Palpatine's first name is Emperor. Why do EU authors not get this

the names really got out of control.

ben, han, luke, those are normal-ish names (han's a little weird but not unheard of) yep the emperor's name is sheev!!

tbh its not like lucas didn't make some dumbass names in the ot

mon mothma hm yep that sounds good.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Welp. After all these years you have put into words what I've always disliked about LOTR and Dune. I couldn't ever really figure it out but now I know. Those genealogies and over explained historical footnotes that nobody cares about right there. And you're punished for it if you don't look in one of the 50 appendices at the back cuz the book assumes you've memorized it already.

oh man, you'd really hate asoiaf then

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

this loving thread gave me an addiction to reading wookiepedia.

anyway, y'all heard of centerpoint station?

apparently its this huge tractor beam that has the power to move planets around. specifically, it was used to create the corellia system for... whatever reason. oddly, that's not explained in obnoxious detail. then everyone forgot about it for thousands and thousands of years because sometimes you lose track of something bigger than the death star just hanging out near one of the 5 planets that is brought up in nearly every star wars story.

oh also people lived in the middle of it because there was an artificial "sun" on the inside and i guess you could farm in it somehow? whatever, the sun was the power source for the tractor beam/lasers/other poo poo and someone fired the laser and it incinerated all the people who lived there lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Omally posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Millennial

"It was known by the ancients that a Dark Lord with three eyes has a secret strength possessed by none other."
―Trioculus[src]

Darth Millennial was a three-eyed mutant Sith Lord and Shadow Hand, heir to the lineage of Darth Bane, who lived almost a thousand years before the Battle of Yavin. Apprenticed to Darth Cognus, Millennial was powerful in the Force and had the ability to see the future. However, he and his Master disagreed on many aspects about the Sith, and Millennial became disillusioned with the Rule of Two, which he felt was far too restrictive, and saw far more sense in Lord Kaan's Rule by the Strong.

Eventually, he left his enraged Master and founded the Dark Force religion, which would later become the Prophets of the Dark Side on the planet Dromund Kaas. Proclaiming himself as a prophet chosen by the will of the Force, he attracted many Force-users from across the galaxy to his religion before passing away.

i think my new favorite thing to do on wookiepedia is scrolling down to the "appearances" section and see how many times the character with the 1500 word bio actually appeared in a book, comic, or movie.

the answer here is actually never, he was mentioned in 3 books, and apparently one of them was a retcon.

• Locked thread