Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Do the prequel movies count as the EU?
Because I count them and EP: V as noncanonical fanfiction. Especially Midichlorians. As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is a duology and I'm raising my children up to believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

suspicious donkey! posted:

so why did that r2 unit have a bad motivator?? i need to know the epic back story

The droid was actually force sensetive and just as it was heading over to Uncle Owen, it had a premonition of the important events to come and how vital it was that R2 D2 play a part in them. It used its force powers to blow its own motivator.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

paranoid randroid posted:

also, requesting namechange to Jizz Instruments tia mods

Aww But your current username is so cool and distinct.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cnut the Great posted:

why are people defending that clone wars cartoon

it was the same poo poo as the prequels, don't even try to say it wasn't

Which Clone Wars? The Tartakovsky one or the CGI one?
Doesn't matter, they were both better than the prequel films.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cnut the Great posted:

the tartakovsky one was okay in a hyperactive seven-year-old cartoon network way

the one that came out that looked like a nintendo 64 game was just plain awful from all that i saw of it. i don't care if it's better than the prequels by whatever weird metric your're using, awful poo poo is awful poo poo and if you like it you're a stunted moron who got trolled into sucking george lucas's cock right up to the very end

Allegedly it comes into its own around season three or whatever, and has won some awards but I've never been able to make it that far to verify for myself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

oh, that guys me

Would you say you have "Shiksappeal"?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foyes36 posted:

I mean the whole prequal arc is basically a simplification of the Roman civil wars.

Oh I thought it was a metaphor for Hitler.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im calling it first, gonna get rich with Dwarf Fortress novels.

I call Terraria.
I've never played it but I've already got the first two books written.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So how does Ashoka end up getting offed?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

Ahsoka is our collective waifu and as such is still alive and well in the rebels cartoon.

Right but Anakin murders her at the end of the cartoon series I'm assuming?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solfrann posted:

Disney will never kill off Ahsoka. She'll get her own spinoff series so they can keep monetizing her. She's a girl jedi with 2 lightsabers and recognizable tailhead things. The costumes alone are worth keeping her.

Well canonically she has to be killed at some point prior to the original trilogy because Yoda and Ben are the last surviving Jedi in the galaxy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

lol is this an unironic statement?

I'm just wondering how they resolve Ahsoka's definitely canon death with the fact that as a character in a children's cartoon she can never be killed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Rebels has already hinted that that simply isn't going to be the case, just the rest are either in hiding or turned. Obi Wan and Yoda are just the last two surviving Jedi MASTERS

Booooooooooooo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

You're thinking of someone different, Wedge was technically played by two people in ANH.

Briefing room Wedge was dubbed over, Cockpit Wedge was Denis Lawson and was not dubbed over and went on to play the character in the rest of the movies, and a video game, and I think a couple audiobooks.

Dude does audiobooks but TFA would have "bored him."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gammatron 64 posted:

Here's my awful thought of the day: Does Darth Vader's dick still work?

People call that evil Indiana Jones Girl from the Vader comics his waifu and I just thought how awful it would be if they hosed because he looks like uncle fester covered in scabs lol

Though I'm pretty sure if he can still get it up, he probably still isn't over Padme and would just break down into tears which would make things even worse

Looking at the state of him after he fell into lava in Episode III I'm gonna go ahead and say his dick was almost certainly burned off.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

He's literally voiced by a Jamaican actor

Accents are inherently racist.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When I briefly played Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Sith side was infinitely more compelling.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

should i try it? I was thinking sith warrior or questioner.

It's a pretty good MMO. I liked it better than WoW and Wildstar, but, like all MMO's, ultimately a huge timesink for very little payoff. Depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

I played a Sith Warrior and their storyline was pretty fun.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume the gameplay is like the previous kotor games

Probably? I never played.

List of Starwars Games I have played:
Star Wars (1983)
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Rogue Leader for Gamecube (the best one)
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Applewhite if you own a joystick you need to PM me your steam deets because you HAVE to play TIE Fighter

I own an X box controller, does that work?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

It shouldn't. TIE fighter is one of those games where every key on the keyboard does something (as does Alt + every key, and Ctrl + every key).

ughnnnnnnn
No thx.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

There are a few others I used a lot in addition to those (cycling target ship components, countermeasures, saving designated targets for later retrieval, squad mate commands, clearing the targeting computer for dumb fire purposes, targeting ships attacking target)

That seems like a lot of stuff for a TIE fighter. I thought the whole point of them was they were just a cockpit with guns on the front and rockets on the back that could be mass produced and overwhelm the enemy with superior numbers?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sinking belle posted:

Doctor who EU chat a few pages back made me wonder: are there any expanded universes shittier than what star wars had going on? I know star trek has some really dumb poo poo going on in its novels, but what about, I don't know, stargate? Are there stargate novels/comics/whatever? In fact isn't all of stargate except the original movie "expanded universe" when you think about it? And how about more recent properties like Lost? I vaguely recall there being at least a couple novels + a game that explored stuff that wasn't in the show at all.

The Almost Human EU where we find out it's a prequel to Judge Dredd.

The Brazil EU which treats the "happy" ending as canon and Sam Lowry goes on further adventures battling the evil Ministry of Information.

Rebecca Sugar's run on the Power Ranger's EU.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually they didn't make any Alien movies after Aliens and Newt is still alive.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also:

The "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" prequel comics that feature the origin story of Judge Doom (AKA Baron Von Rotten).

The Harry Potter EU which takes one-line gags from the series and spins whole backstories for them.

The Singing Ship stories about that girl who was quadriplegic or whatever but whose brain was uploaded into a spaceship. She has a surprisingly large number of adventures by different authors for a character nobody's heard of.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I think we can all agree that podracing was the only good thing to come out of the prequels (except that gif of Ewan and Hayden spinning lightsabers I could watch that all day)

Actually I hated the podracing and I think it was lovely.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sinking belle posted:

lmfao fun fact Darth Maul is still alive even in the new non-EU canon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Legacy

They should have given his legs a cybernetic top half as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sinking belle posted:

i will never get over the fact that robert picardo was in one of those fuckin things

TBF he was perfect for the role.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lord of Pie posted:

Star Trek ended one of its novels with a pie fight so I'd have to believe it's not nearly as up its own rear end as the Star Wars EU was before the great purge

A pie fight would also not have been out of place on any of the TV series either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

Okay so Im several episodes into Clone Wars and I'm still unclear on something.

How come every time Ashoka and Anakin are in a scene together, Anakin has to say something extremely filthy and inappropriate for children's TV, followed immediately by him looking straight into the camera and doing an eyebrow thing? His bow-tie even did a goofy spin that one time. I'm okay with this kind of stuff in my TV shows, but usually there's some kind of explanation in the first few episodes why a character would keep doing that.

Just wait until S2E15 "the Aristocrats."

• Locked thread