Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The balance of the Force thing aint that stupid because the "Light Side" is the natural state of the Force and the Dark Side is a corruption. This is pretty obvious in the original films. It's why KOTOR 2's Force stuff is stupid.

Also the rest of the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's imbalanced because the corruption weighs an end down or something. Lucas is poo poo but thinking it meant two of Jedi and two of the other is stupid and means you didn't understand the Force in the movies.

There aint two sides of the Force, there's the Force and then a corruption. I guess he means balanced in a zen way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean it blows because it makes Anakin into the central character and savior when that isn't the case in the good movies. And also prophecies suck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

in the prequels

i should have specified the OT

Any thinking man knows the prequels are EU so you shouldn't have had to clarify.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

*draws blood to check for special cells*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There is no quality control because the premise of the EU is stupid. Star Wars isn't droids and lightsabers and the Force it's Han and Luke and Vader, etc and the specific story of the Original Trilogy. It's why the sequels are probably going to be mediocre at best because Disney is planning to release spin off movies and poo poo which is entirely missing the point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I still think dumbest EU thing is the hellraisers from outside the Force that killed trillions of people 'cause that's about as unstarwars as it gets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It looks like she's just doing a dance in front of him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That gif is the prequels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The prequels are EU.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Present posted:

The guy that played Darth Maul was their actual movie fight choreographer or something like that so that's why all his fights were super sweet.

Best part of Episode One. Not like that is saying much.

No the fights were hella dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that anyone over the age of 12 thought the EU was "cool" or had any merit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

honestly it's really kind of depressing that people are getting worked up over what is "canon" and what isn't. it's all fictional. like watching the youtube videos of idiot nerd losers screaming in outrage about how dare the mouse say those stories aren't real is honestly starting to make me :smith:

like seriously I've struggled with depression and hated my life for years but I can't even begin to contemplate how terrible their lives must be if they choose to exist in a fantasy world like this. it's just so sad and pathetic.

But if you're gonna get your gundarks in a knot over your fiction at least let it be not embarrassingly bad. EU is some Dr Who level poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shiksa posted:

did you know that mace windu, one of three black people in star wars, technically isnt human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

yep there's a special black people sub-species of humans in the eu.

lmao this is amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lfield posted:

A Mofference was a secret conference held by the Imperial Central Committee of Grand Moffs in the secluded Mofference room of their Moffship.

Really thought this one was fake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

Just wanted to skip forward in time and tell everyone that the Doom novels were unironically better than the totality of EU writing

ok, back to page 25

This is a legit good book and the voice it's written in is fantastic.

But man those third and fourth books really go off the rails.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pentyne posted:

What, the magical finger-chopstick aliens or the "Mormons take over the world"?

Also, the 2nd book was crazy sensible when 2 marine grunts jury a space shuttle together to fly from Phobos to Earth.

I meant go off the rails in the sense that the first book is certainly Doom and the second book is definitely Doom II. Once the explanation for why everything happened well..it just kinda spirals down from there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

starship troopers is also like really right wing pro-military ooh rah war is great, only soldiers are allowed to vote

Untrue.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Starship Troopers the book was 95% military fellatio

You don't have to work in the military to vote in the book you're confusing it with the film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still can't get over that Mofference thing being a real EU thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

door Door door posted:

Yep, that's right. The force only works on someone as long as you speak the same language. That makes sense. Great job, EU.

lol EU is the best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shiksa posted:

which just makes the squabbling over that god drat lightsaber in the new trailer even sillier

the eu has a long, proud history of just making poo poo up to justify whatever "cool" thing the author wants to jam into the story.

That's actually why the lightsaber is stupid it's a total EU kinda thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah it's already "cool" enough as it is and like I said it's EU to start adding poo poo to make it "cooler". Hell one of the EU trademarks is increasingly stupid lightsaber type weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aRtupiY9Dw

lol neckbeard holy poo poo you're dumb

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nobody normal objects to the style-over-substance space magic movie trying to look cool

A lot of the issues with the prequels are directly related to this, tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It can only cut through everything in the EU (prequels count as EU). Oh no I lied there's that special metal in the EU. But in the original movies metal and poo poo stops it and Luke at one point doesn't just cut through Vader's body when he hits him.

The "but it'd cut off his hands or body" for the new lightsaber is a dumb complaint - the thing just looks stupid is all.

shiksa posted:

if you discount the literally retarded scripts sure

I said a lot, not all. Hell they're even tied together since Lucas thought a bunch of fanservice and stupidly long silly fights for no reason were more important than emotion and character development.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Please tell this to whichever jackoff working at Bioware thought that Hoth should be the place for a major battlefield in The Old Republic MMO.

lol is this actually in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

...of SCIENCE! posted:

fan films are the saddest loving thing, it's basically everybody involved admitting that they can't hack it in the real world so instead they ride the coattails of a popular thing in exchange for never being able to profit off of or even officially show the drat thing

The longest fictional work in the English language is a Smash Bros fan fiction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bible is about 800,000 words long.

The fan fiction in question clocks in at 3.5 million.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

Wait are you serious

Very.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's buzzfeed but an interview with the guy who wrote the fanfic

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/meet-the-college-junior-behind-the-longest-fan-fiction-ever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only bit in Robot Chicken Star Wars that made me laugh was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zLbgXElsA&t=21s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh the Cryptkeeper one is kinda good too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'd be ok with robot chicken doing the Trioculus saga...

...slowly.

This is hutt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

Movies do this too, the fuckin emperor has meetings with the most powerful jedi constantly and they live like next door and they don't loving know any better.

Well yeah the prequels are stupid and kinda go against a lot of poo poo the original movies put in place.

Also a Porkins action figure got made because there was a Star Wars fan encyclopedia that I love called the Red 6 Archive or something like that and they petitioned for it. Don't know if the site is still around.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 23, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

If you think about it, planets like Naboo and Alderaan produced literally nothing except a handful of aristocratic families... "We're a peaceful planet" is practically code for "we're a garden planet for the rich tjat produces npthing and sucks resources like a hoover," which is why Naboo virtually collapsed after maybe a month under blockade.... I bet Palpatine ignored Naboo and their whole service/tourism economy collapsed during the war. That old bearded advisor dude from Ep 1 was probably hawking his silverware to survive lol

Naboo never collapses and it looks like they face zero hardships during the blockade.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Padme says ppl are dying in the senate or w/e, and it's not b/c the battledroids are just shooting random Naboos... I ain't seen the movie in 10 yrs gimme a break

They say that but they don't show it. Naboo always looks fine in the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah Lucas is just a garbo writer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

Also, while reading this thread I was struck by how stupid it is that they call them the "Clone" wars. Winners usually name wars after the defeated party, not the victors.

I think literally everyone but Lucas assumed when they heard "Clone Wars" in A New Hope it was a war fought against clones.

Elukka posted:

It's been the only major galactic power for a long time. There's nobody to fight and the various local militaries that later made up the separatists worked just fine for keeping the order. It would have kept working fine if it weren't for ol' Sheev and his conspiracy.

The Separatists used droids not conscripts. They'd have an army.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hey guys an assassinated Jedi ordered these clones for some reason let's use them in our war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was kinda stupid everyone just accepted the word of the scary monster guy and were like yeah you're dictator now.

• Locked thread