Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
why should I click on a youtube link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Coulda swore I saw this one but it came out in 2015 so here goes

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

Are there stairs involved?
The movie is set in South Africa, there are precious few stairs there.

Watched it last night and it was pretty far out there, with a lot of gratuitous dumb stuff thrown in. It does include a manual on the graboid reproductive cycle, and a lot of jokes about dutch/afrikaaner names. I miss Reba McIntyre though, she made Gummer a lot more interesting.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any opinions on Red Road which is up on netflix? I hadn't heard of or noticed it before, but the first episode was pretty engrossing. Reminds me a bit of a show pilot I saw that never had a followup, I think it was called Outlaw Country? It's around as a standalone movie but it is kind of sad because it was fun and portrayed an interesting country/western niche.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ryoshi posted:

Daredevil had incredible casting and just bizarrely weak pacing and writing. Like who the hell thought the priest episode was worth a solid hour? Anyone watching a tv show about Daredevil of all freaking superheroes is going to have endured that whole "should I kill this guy? I mean, killing is wrong, but this guy is SUPER MEAN" debate in literally every other piece of superhero media in the past three decades. It added nothing new to the characters or the debate itself and was just an hour of handwringing over something that was a foregone conclusion anyway.
It's a necessary part of the comic book hero character arc as "a thing", and hardcore fans of any comic book herop that got a show, would lose their poo poo if it wasn't included somewhere and somehow. Any hero who doesn't just kill errybody out of hand, eventually has to grapple with killing someone accidentally, killing an innocent accidentally, or consciously deciding to take out someone who's just too dangerous to leave walking around.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Suicide Theory is a dark drama about an assassin who's been hired to murder a man who supposedly can't be killed. Who ordered the hit? The potential victim himself. A terrific film.
Pretty sure I saw this one and quite liked it, it was really interesting although at first I was pretty dubious. This was a like british film and the immortal guy's face was all scarred and wrecked, right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gaunab posted:

Has anyone seen The Red Road? I watched the first two episodes but I want to know if it's worth watching. So far the daughter and her boyfriend are annoying and bad.
Yeah I dug it. Things get very dark very quickly, and you rapidly begin to despise almost everyone as being a real piece of poo poo, similar to breaking bad in that regard.

I am looking forward to the next season. What is up with the sludge!?!? :psyduck:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Why the gently caress does Triump The Insult Comic Dog have a special on Hulu

why is it about politically correct sjw millenials
For the same reason Jerry Seinfeld claims he can't do comedy at colleges anymore - the kids are all SJW politically correct whiners who don't grasp his edgy humor!

It seems like all the comics from the 90s just sort of ended up making GBS threads on SJW millennials. It's a running theme on Joe Rogan's podcast.

So basically, "they lost relevence, society moved on, they mad about it." I mean is triumph still even a thing on whatever show Conan's doing now?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
After Netflix recommending it to me for well over a year, I got bored and checked out Longmire since I'd run out of british crime drams and korean horror action flicks and all the other poo poo I'm usually into... And it's really good.

Maybe it's because the first season of the show is super understated and nothing really hits stride until the second season (then whoa!), or maybe because I eventually have to watch Lou Diamond Phillips in everything he's in eventually (for some reason I really, really love Renegades) because he was a huge part of my 80s/90s action movie options as a kid. I'm not sure why LDP chose to speak like some wampum-trading chieftain from a bad western flick, but his character is solid, and the show is solid, and if you get to S2Ep6, you'll either be in love or never go back.

But yeah, I'd rather watch Longmire than The Shield - if for no other reason than there's (probably) no Kid Rock theme song in the opening credits of every single loving episode... Also most of the cops are likable people with believable conflicts and hangups, instead of just pistol-whipping bangers in the face while taking all their money and drugs.

A good show. I think The Red Road is trying to ape it with an edgier showing and less-likable police. But yeah, Longmire's pretty boss.. Reminds me of my grandpa, and my dad, who were too stupid and close-mouthed to let people know when poo poo was going down so they might totally end up dying on a mountainside from hypothermia, or letting peoepl think they murdered someone because they'd never figured out how to take off their ten-gallon hat and deal with their feelings..

I mean one scene in season 2 involves Longmire dying from hypothermia on a mountainside while a serial killer kicks the hell out of him.. He gets up off the ground, puts his hat back on, and only then gets back into the fight. :clint:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 4 is by far the best season. Being made to be on Netflix instead of cable means each episode can be longer, and they aren't beholden to a case-of-the-week format. I think there's all of three investigations for the whole season. It's a show that likes to take its time and Netflix let them do that.
Yeah I'm glad I waited to start watching the show until they announced there was going to be a final season coming, because now I desperately gotta know what happens. That last ep in season 4 was crushing in so many ways.. Even the people who got what they wanted, I still felt really bad for them because you just know it's going to still tear all their relationships apart when those close to them find out what they've gotten into..! :ohdear:

Also after seeing some chatter on TV gossip sites etc, it actually exactly sounds like The Red Road really was aping Longmire, while aiming at a younger, edgier audience.. Apparently when Netflix picked up Longmire they got a HUGE bump in middle-aged and older subscribers, and are going to try to keep them by making the last season finally. It woulda been a pretty crushing thing to see that episode, get left on that cliffhanger, and then just assume the show was never coming back.

But the sheriff in The Red Road is basically Branch Connelly, with less access to huge amounts of money.

wormil posted:

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.
So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It was pretty obvious that most of the footage was edited to provide a better plot, but I flat-out grew up around people who run over cats for kicks and point guns at each other when they get drunk in the hills partying. It's why I moved to the city and advocate stronger gun control. The small-town cops there were also well-known for being nasty, spiteful POSes who'd cite you for bullshit or follow you around town each day hoping to catch you doing something they could gently caress with you over, small town cops are mean motherfuckers you don't wanna cross.

The incest/abuse stuff was made clear several times, I have absolutely no doubt that many of the branches of that family tree loop back into the trunk, but again, I grew up going to school with kids like that - they were born into it and mainly do not have the facilities to ever get out of it - even if they were aware of just how awful their circumstances are.

I'm probably soft though because my parents are both teachers and they'd regularly pick up filthy, smelly children to bring them to school when they drove me to school. I loving despised those kids when I was young, they would get in fights with me at school, leave my family's vehicles covered in mud, but it really wasn't the fault of those kids, and once they grow up, they're never going to go anywhere - I've literally driven down the highway past someone I went to middle school with, we're both in our mid 30s now, but I'm driving and they're walking a couple bags of empties 10 miles toward town from the trailer park they grew up in (which has been repeatedly fined for having sewage leaking into the water supply which those people use). They're the kind of people who can literally spend their entire life without going more than 40 miles from their hometown... Ever. I mean it used to blow my mind that someone could live and die without even going to the beach once, but they're there, and they're not hateful people, and they're not deserving of hate and disdain. They need help, and nobody gives a poo poo because they're too busy judging how they killed animals for sport as kids, and got abused while a child then repeated the cycle as an adult.

It doesn't excuse terrible behavior however, you can't judge someone from a high horse without seeing how hard their existence actually is. When a kid with IQ of 68 who's growing up in a junkyard/quarry points a gun at someone or lights a cat on fire in his adolescence/teens, he simply doesn't understand that it's wrong. I lost a few cats growing up in the country - you just get used to the fact that you either have an indoor pet, or it'll come home with .177 caliber pellets buried in its neck once in a while.

edit: it's kind of funny how people have no problem dumping on the poor and ignorant, while judges let rich people walk away from killing multiple people while drunk-driving, on the literal excuse that "they were too rich to know right from wrong." Why is "dumber than a bag of rocks and sexually/physically abused their whole life," a weaker defense, and more prone to having one thrown in jail nor prison? I grew up with my uncles and grandfathers all bragging about their drunk-driving exploits, for instance, and when I grew up I realized how dangerous and wrong it was. I have relatives who still live in the hills, and they do it all the time and would be pissed off if you tried to explain how wrong their weekend ritual is.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Feb 26, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not 100% sure but either netflix figured out how to circumvent smartflix, or there's another wave of ddos attacks going on which are loving up my viewing of netflix via proxy. I've been getting "you're using a proxy" for over an hour now.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Mar 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I don't want to be a dick about it however, I've simply run out of content to stream. Maybe I'll subscribe like every third month just to see if there's new poo poo worth seeing.. I guess it's a fortunate thing that I'm going to be spending a ton of my time taking classes online in the next few months, maybe netflix can get their poo poo together

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hit up netflix support, they confirmed they're "expanding their global catalog" at the expense of stronger security. Canceled.

If they could manage to keep the US region catalog from stagnating for months at a stretch, it would be worthwhile, but I can just eyeball redbox.com and see what's new.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got an email from Smartlix:

quote:

Netflix is currently using a new geo-restriction video stream blocking method, which will prevent the use of VPNs, proxies, and other unblocking utilities.

We estimate at this point in time, 30% of our users are blocked (and this unfortunately includes you). We are working on remedying this as fast as we can.

This is part of Netflix's crackdown on VPN's, more information on which can be found here: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-proxy-detection-as-a-global-service

If you want to keep up to date, we'll be replying and updating on Reddit all day: https://www.reddit.com/r/smartflix/comments/48r9ho/smartflix_current_ongoing_issues_3rd_march_2016/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Awesome like last season or they fixed the pacing issues awesome?
A lot of folks are still complaining about pacing and how it seems disjointed because they've shoveled three different major (well, at least two, I never thought Elektra was super important in the MCU, but maybe I'm just misogynistic and ignored her books as a kid,) characters and subsequent storylines into one show. I wasn't super fond of Elektra because her showing up causes Matt to just become a bumbling idiot who manages to gently caress up everything he's supposed to be doing because *old girlfriend*. The ninjas were a bit over the top and silly to me however, they are pretty much canonical to the source material. There are only a couple loose ends which don't seem to be dealt with by the end of S2 (the hole :argh: ) but it sounds as though they will be used to lead into more MCU show branch-offs. I think my personal least-favorite bits were the flashbacks which show Matt and Elektra's history, because, well, she's never been much more than a boring ninja in a silly outfit to me personally.

The casting for Frank Castle is bar-none the best part of the second season imho, and while a bunch of goons hated on Karen Page and "her terrible writing" I enjoyed seeing her get some screen time. The excuse for Castle's ridiculous combat aptitude is pretty reasonable (he got shot in the head which leaves him in permanent fight-or-flight state, giving him the ability to be running on pure adrenaline basically at all times - although it's not as cool as Death just having a boner for him.)

An extremely satisfying season, most of the failings of the show were more of the failings of the source material from what I recall of reading DD books, such as the back and forth fighting between Foggy and Matt, which has been going on ever since DD began and will probably never ever end, despite how infantile it often seems.

They also bring Fisk back in and show one of my personal favorite, penultimate Punisher scenes ( not much of a spoiler if you're familiar with anything about Punisher the prison fight.)

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Mar 23, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Yeah, I'm probably done with DD. Enjoyed the comic as a kid but not the series.
If nothing else, look up which episode has the Punisher in prison. It's maybe the best ep of the season, and one of only two eps from s02 with Vincent Donofrio, iirc..

I liked Agents of Shield because it's fun and funny, the later seasons got kinda complicated and I petered out on watching them. I liked Agent Carter but haven't gotten around to seeing the newer episodes yet, for some reason it reminds me a lot of Torchwood.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No, crass blue collar comedies from that era are garbage. Why would you expect it to hold up?

Try Married, With Children next up and let us know how great it used to be when you were 20-30 years younger.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

10 Beers posted:

Holy poo poo, is this ever true. I was getting ready for work the other day and noticed that MwC was on, and thought "Oh, neat!" I made it through about five minutes before I couldn't handle it anymore.
I saw some write-up the other day about Friends and how the entire premise and progression of the show was the only character with half a brain and who most people forget was literally a scientist, slowly lost his mind by hanging out with one-dimensional people. Oh poor Ross, how the mighty have fallen

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Rewatching Peaky Blinders and I'm dying laughing right now, I forgot the scene where Polly is making a bunch of sandwiches while she talks to her son about his father..

She's making shrimp, pressed ham ham, and butter sandwiches. :barf:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Woof, the ending to Peaky Blinders season 3 was almost worth the flailing around to get to it.

But good lord the finale closing scene (do not spoil this is you haven't seen it) :goatsecx:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1redflag posted:

Stranger Things is a Netflix original sci-fi/thriller series starring Winona Ryder, Matthew Modine, and a few other people I recognize. Show revolves around supernatural elements and MKULTRA conspiracies. Pretty good so far (about halfway through), although the second episode was a little slow. My girlfriend, who does not usually care for sci-fi, is really into it, FYI.

A good show

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Longmire is legit good, and you can recommend it to your grandma.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

It's improv so it doesn't have to be funny.
Yes, and..?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trojan.exe posted:

Borgia on Netflix. Not to be confused with Showtime's "The Borgias" which is also on Netflix. Honestly both are worth watching, but for different reasons.
I think one of them had queen Maergery Tyrell from GOT, otherwise both were differing levels of boring political drama about dead people who gently caress a lot and have some edgy-ish criticism about Catholicism

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching Hell on Wheels on Netflix the other day and have really gotten into it. It's centered around the building of the UP railroad and the town that traveled along with it. I'd never heard of the show but it has 6 seasons I think, so I'll stick with it until I get bored with it.

Oh boy you're in for a hell of a ride.. The mormon stuff is kind of slow paced in the later seasons but it changes pace and location a ton, which i something that killed me when i watched Deadwood.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pumped for S5 in a few weeks.
Oh you've got to be kidding :supaburn:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I liked the pilots/teasers for that So Dark/SoPretty show on Amazon, wouldn't mind seeing a season or two of it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bogmonster posted:

I was reading about some upcoming Netflix stuff and found out that BBC America are doing a new Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency with Sam Barnett and Elijah Wood.

I was kind of hoping they would carry on the BBC4 version with Stephen Mangan as I thought that was ace, but this new one could be pretty good I guess.
100% more flying sex scenes in this one then

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Also watched Jean Claude Van Johnson. The concept reminded me of an 80's series called Cover Up. The dialogue was rough and the script felt rushed, like it was written during the car ride to the set, during a hangover, with no editing or rewrites. One good proofreading would have improved it considerably. The pacing was a little slow but the end was a blast. If they fix the problems I would definitely watch the series.
You may not quite remember the Cover Up show as clearly as you think. It wasn't that funny, and it was also so bad that one of the main stars shot himself in the head - on set. The premise of a female "photographer" having a male model and then he's a undercover special forces soldier was pretty groundbreaking at the time but meh

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The new season of Longmire just popped up this afternoon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RNG posted:

Watching The Siege of Jadotville on Netflix and it seems pretty good if you were into Beasts of No Nation, etc.
The two movies have almost nothing in common except for the fact that there are soldiers with guns in both. Also they're both set in Africa.

I guess all of these movies look the same to you?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

I seem to remember people saying there is a point where Bojack Horseman gets good, is that during S1 or later? We watched 3 episodes earlier and I don't care if I ever watch another.
4 or so, but it's not a show that you should be walking in and out of the room and chatting with people while it's going on or you'll be totally lost and bored, and "we watched it but" is perennially guilty of that

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

I seem to remember people saying there is a point where Bojack Horseman gets good, is that during S1 or later? We watched 3 episodes earlier and I don't care if I ever watch another.
here's a breakdown of the themes behind this cartoon show about a talking horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORIDYHOFTQ

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Mercenary is really something. It's the story of a young pacific islander who accepts a contract to go to France to play rugby professionally - and then things do not go according to plan at all. It's really bleak for most of the movie and the ending was really something. I went in expecting that the kid would end up joining to French Foreign Legion and becoming Major Badass, but that is not what happened at all. Largely it is about being a minority in a niche career and what sacrifices you have to make. "Come on - show us a haka - just a little one! Why you gotta be such a punk!?"

I also saw Supremacy, which is a fictionalized retelling of the window of freedom that Walter Scully Jr experienced before returning to captivity after killing a police officer and taking a family hostage. Danny Glover really kills it, and the cameo by Anson Mount was great - I nearly didn't recognize him until I heard his voice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

I'm Not A Serial Killer is a movie about a teenage sociopath in smalltown America struggling with his condition.
There's more to it but any horror fan should see it.
It's really fun and funny, and it's based on a YA series of YA crime novels about a wannabe-sociopath who's basically Fox Mulder.

Knowing that it's based on a long-running series of novels also helps explain a few of the things which seem to be left just kind of hanging or unexplained - such as the hot chick who's into th protagnist but he never really notices or acknowledges her the whole time (because they get together in later books). It's also weird that this is an indie Irish movie but almost everyone is not Irish except for the shrink.

I'm kinda interested in looking up the John Wayne Cleaver novels because they sound fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime and it's really good so far. Bryan Cranston is in it and is writer/producer. Giovanni Ribisi is the lead
But its lead is mainly Character-actress Margot Martindale!!!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bussamove posted:

Thirding this. Its really a series where the supporting cast shines. Elliot is the biggest, gayest treasure and I really hope there's a lot more of him in season 2.

well the thread for the show in TVIV was discussing rare styles of tying your tie knot so yeah

"Are you ... wearing my vest? ... Keep it!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you watch Mercenary on netflix first (before the ending episode of OA), it might help you not gooning the gently caress out over the ending.

Probably not though - enjoy!

Also OA was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

syscall girl posted:

I had never heard of this site but just searching it from your post I see Aimee Mann, Norah Jones, Sleigh Bells, Gorillaz on their recents so if they have any insight it'd probably be fairly educational. Thanks.

fake edit: everything on this list of bands is interesting to me and it's going on my short list of podcasts that don't suck
The game of thrones episode is transcendental