Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I watched Clive Barker's Nightbreed last night. Not very good, but I also didn't enjoy Hellraiser, so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Boardwalk Empire is as good as it gets for HBO on Amazon Prime. Plus it's over so you can pick up the final season on DVD or whatever if you like closure.

Counterpoints:

Deadwood

The Wire

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

I am glad I never spent any money on Anchorman 2.

I redboxed it and was mad about the 99 cents I lost.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Twitch posted:

I, Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie I've seen all year. One of the first scenes is a montage of Frankenstein doing martial arts training in the woods. And of course, he wears a trench coat and fingerless gloves through most of the movie.

It's like a worse Blade/Underworld sequel. Honestly, I don't understand how it actually got released, other than that had already spent the money so they might as well release it and see what they can recoup.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Brick Mansions before, wow, that was incredibly poorly acted movie. I like Bobby Digital and all, but goddamn if RZA is not movie cancer. In theme with my comments above regarding I, Frankenstein, Brick Mansions seemed like a terrible District B13 sequel.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He did do the soundtrack to Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which is a pretty great movie.

Exactly. He is awesome as a memeber of Wu-tang and otherwise making music (he and GZA also did the soundtrack for Kill Bill, if I remember correctly), but if he is acting in it, you can basically just write the movie off. Example: The Man with the Iron Fists.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Aren't I struggling to not remember a Steven Seagal movie with RZA, some buddy prison-escape movie or some poo poo?

I believe you are thinking of Half Past Dead with Ja Rule. Pretty terrible in its own right, but I feel like with a Steven Seagal movie you know what you are getting in to.

"I'm going to take you to the bank, Senator Trent... the blood bank."

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

"Terrible pun action" is my favorite bad genre. Does that make sense?

Totally. *Pierces bad guy with a pipe through a steam pipe* "Let off some steam."

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

withak posted:

Everyone who like Snowpiercer should check out this great review:

http://the-toast.net/2015/01/22/meat-processing-professional-reviews-snowpiercer/

It did hit on one of my biggest WTF?! issues with Snowpiercer, at least. bug bars, bad; baby flesh, good

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

If you've never given Peep Show a shot, I highly recommend it. It takes an episode or two to get going, but the third season forward is 100% gold.

In the same vein (i.e. British Television), Black Adder is pretty good (the second season in particular), if a little more high brow.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just watched Chef, which I highly recommend. I like Jon Favreau's work generally, but this one was particularly good about not falling into tropes, etc. Very positive (if not a little bit unrealistic), especially if you are going through a transitional part of your life.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Puddin posted:

All this talk of Babadook makes me remember that when i first saw it, I just wanted to steal my movie buff friends phone who loved the movie and make the ringtone the scratching and the Babadook-dook speech, then ring him at like 2am.

My girlfriend gets incredibly upset with me when I whisper "BaBa-dook-dook-dook as she is falling asleep. Totally worth it though.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Baxter posted:

Watched Babadook and while I don't think its exactly a classic, it's different and mildly disturbing enough to stick with you for a while.

I've been walking around the house calling the dog babadook for no good reason, and now my kids are wanting to know what it is. (8 & 12). Wonder if it'd freak them out.

I was freaked out by Jurassic Park when I was that age, so you are looking at some pretty extensive therapy bills if you do it. Totally worth it though.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

What's it like to be a total wuss baby? I sat in the front row by myself (my parents were a few rows back, duh) at age 5 to watch Jurassic Park and fuckin' loved it. :smug:

You must be so tough. Look at Mr. tough guy over here, everybody. Every body please stop to congratulate Mr. tough guy on his tough guyness.

Edit: also, I keep forgetting that the entirety of Comedy Central Presents is in Amazon Prime. So many seasons are just pure gold.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 07:19 on May 14, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nightcrawler just got put up on Netflix. Highly recommended. Jake Gyllenhaal puts on the performance of his career.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

They just added Transformers: Age of Extinction, and I have to say, this movie sucks so bad it's ridiculous. They have a guy carry around a card in his wallet validating the legality of his underage relationship, and between him and the yellow car, I couldn't understand 40% of the speech in the movie.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a storyline. There were way too many main characters, to the point where you'd forget certain ones existed. The movie is 2.5 hours long. The lead underage girl looks like someone pointed an airbrush directly at her face. Nothing is accomplished. I could go on forever about how Michael Bay needs to be shot out of a cannon.

I just watched this last night and completely agree. Also. It seems like it went through several re-writes, as the editing and storylines do not mesh together well at all; plot lines are picked up and dropped randomly, new characters are added and then forgotten, and the "transforming" aspect is of little to no value to the movie itself. In a word: trash. It frankly amazes me that this is one of the highest grossing movies of all time (seriously, go look it up; domestic sales were lackluster, but it killed internationally).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

wormil posted:

I stumbled across an HBO series on Amazon called Hung, about a down and out basketball coach with a big penis. I watched 2 episodes expecting it to be a comedy but strangely it's not. What's the skinny, worth watching? The 2 eps I watched were okay but the series seems very predictable.

First two seasons are alright, third season takes a nose dive and then it got cancelled. Not worth putting in the time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

How does it compare to the other two? I liked the first one but have never finished the second. Every time I started Expendables 2,I either fell asleep or ended up doing something else.

Watched it last night. Worse than the first, comparable with the second. Series went down hill quick.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

It's even worse. They throw in a token 'Murican soldier for no particular reason except :911: . The main actors spend a lot of time parroting their own most-famous lines from movies that people liked.

Arnold literally says "get to the choppa!" Or some variation thereof no less than three times in the movie. He is only in the movie for about 15 minutes combined.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Aziz Ansari's new Netflix series, Master of None, is pretty great so far.

Agreed.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

jodai posted:

W/ Bob and David is on Netflix. I've only watched a few episodes but there are some very funny sketches and they all weave together just like Mr. Show.

I really like sketch comedy, but never really liked Mr. Show. Unfortunately, it is the same with W/ Bob and David. It's just... too over the top, and the laugh track (live audience, whatever) is too in your face. Different strokes, etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I actually loved A Very Murray Christmas. It's getting mixed reviews and a lot of people say it's lacking a "Christmas Spirit", but I think it's there. I think it's kind of aimed at a lonely Christmas type. In my 20's I spent several Xmases by myself, and the tone of this really hit me the right way.

Got a little dusty in here during a couple of the songs

Scrooged is easily the superior Murray Christmas movie.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

They just put Rumble in the Bronx and a few other Jackie Chan movies up on Netflix. Cinematography is excellent, even if you aren't a huge action movie fan.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Uncle John is a small but really well done movie about a man who murdered someone and his nephew who's trying to get a date with his new manager. It's really good.

Seconding Uncle John. Also, Season 1 of Better Call Saul is on Netflix, and is very good.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

So what you're saying is that you've completely bought into whatever agenda the documentary producers had?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

It was pretty obvious that most of the footage was edited to provide a better plot, but I flat-out grew up around people who run over cats for kicks and point guns at each other when they get drunk in the hills partying. It's why I moved to the city and advocate stronger gun control. The small-town cops there were also well-known for being nasty, spiteful POSes who'd cite you for bullshit or follow you around town each day hoping to catch you doing something they could gently caress with you over, small town cops are mean motherfuckers you don't wanna cross.

The incest/abuse stuff was made clear several times, I have absolutely no doubt that many of the branches of that family tree loop back into the trunk, but again, I grew up going to school with kids like that - they were born into it and mainly do not have the facilities to ever get out of it - even if they were aware of just how awful their circumstances are.

I'm probably soft though because my parents are both teachers and they'd regularly pick up filthy, smelly children to bring them to school when they drove me to school. I loving despised those kids when I was young, they would get in fights with me at school, leave my family's vehicles covered in mud, but it really wasn't the fault of those kids, and once they grow up, they're never going to go anywhere - I've literally driven down the highway past someone I went to middle school with, we're both in our mid 30s now, but I'm driving and they're walking a couple bags of empties 10 miles toward town from the trailer park they grew up in (which has been repeatedly fined for having sewage leaking into the water supply which those people use). They're the kind of people who can literally spend their entire life without going more than 40 miles from their hometown... Ever. I mean it used to blow my mind that someone could live and die without even going to the beach once, but they're there, and they're not hateful people, and they're not deserving of hate and disdain. They need help, and nobody gives a poo poo because they're too busy judging how they killed animals for sport as kids, and got abused while a child then repeated the cycle as an adult.

It doesn't excuse terrible behavior however, you can't judge someone from a high horse without seeing how hard their existence actually is. When a kid with IQ of 68 who's growing up in a junkyard/quarry points a gun at someone or lights a cat on fire in his adolescence/teens, he simply doesn't understand that it's wrong. I lost a few cats growing up in the country - you just get used to the fact that you either have an indoor pet, or it'll come home with .177 caliber pellets buried in its neck once in a while.

edit: it's kind of funny how people have no problem dumping on the poor and ignorant, while judges let rich people walk away from killing multiple people while drunk-driving, on the literal excuse that "they were too rich to know right from wrong." Why is "dumber than a bag of rocks and sexually/physically abused their whole life," a weaker defense, and more prone to having one thrown in jail nor prison? I grew up with my uncles and grandfathers all bragging about their drunk-driving exploits, for instance, and when I grew up I realized how dangerous and wrong it was. I have relatives who still live in the hills, and they do it all the time and would be pissed off if you tried to explain how wrong their weekend ritual is.

Oh, okay.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Stranger Things is a Netflix original sci-fi/thriller series starring Winona Ryder, Matthew Modine, and a few other people I recognize. Show revolves around supernatural elements and MKULTRA conspiracies. Pretty good so far (about halfway through), although the second episode was a little slow. My girlfriend, who does not usually care for sci-fi, is really into it, FYI.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

At first glance, that smacked of an ABC Family preteen sci-fi/drama. Did I count it out too soon?

I'd definitely watch the first episode in its entirety to see if you'd like it, but realize it slow burns the first two episodes then gets pretty crazy. Definitely not an ABC family preteen show.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It's all in the reflexes

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying not to spoil poo poo for the person who wants to watch it. The premise is kind of lovely though, I agree.

Says the dude who quotes huge spoilers in his post. :classiclol:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

a kitten posted:

It Follows just showed up on netflix and everyone should watch it if you want a good movie that is also pretty scary.

Yea, this is a pretty creepy movie. Would also recommend.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Any thoughts on the martial arts and samurai flicks on Netflix?

The IP Man movies are good, but they do get worse as you get further through the series. There are a ton of old Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies which are hit or miss, but usually pretty good (especially Chan's older stuff). The Man from Tai Chi is good, and if you haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle you should definitely check that out. They used to have a bunch of Bruce Lee's films on there, but they can get a little meh (there really was an asiansploitation period). Chuck Norris has some okay films, but they are often 70/80's cliche as gently caress.

Edit: also, Tony Jaa's stuff is pretty good, although Ong Bak 1 & the protector 1 are my two favorite of his.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

-Awww, can't we just have one more sacrifice?

-No, it's past your bed time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Fargo S2 is up on Hulu

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I can understand not being into Trek stuff but thinking "sci-fi = Stargate SG-1" and not finishing that thought with "proving sci-fi is the BEST GENRE" means it's fuckin divorce time goonfriend

:goonsay:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea, it's great, very underrated Coen Bros. movie I think.

Despite loving most of the Coen Brothers work, I personally didn't care for it. Still think The Man Who Wasn't There doesn't get enough attention though.

E. Autocorrect

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

30 Rock especially is one of the greatest TV comedies ever

Meh.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pendragon posted:

I tried it out. Made it through the second episode before I realized I was just waiting for them to figure out the important stuff. Does it get better?

It's a slow burn for the first few episodes, but very much worth making it through. Really really good show.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

JCVD is on Amazon Prime. Highly highly recommend, especially if you like cheesy 80's action movies (note that it is not a cheesy action movie).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

. I wish JCVD (the movie) was streaming somewhere.

Lol, it is streaming on Amazon Prime. That's what I was referring to in my original post, NOT Jean Claude Van Johnson. That show is pretty good, and I like how it plays with tropes, but THE MOVIE - JCVD is much better imo.

E.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait were me and the other guy talking about two different things? I was talking about the series Jean Claude Van Johnson. I didnt know there was a movie called JCVD.

Lol, yea, two separate things. If you liked the show, you'll like the movie (which I believe was also called "Van Dammage" in certain regions). Like I said, it's streaming free in Amazon Prime right now, too.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

wormil posted:

Oops, I should have figured that out.

I felt like making him actually creepy was a sell out. It would have been more interesting if it had just been her imagination running away. Wasn't that also the plot of a Twilight Zone episode, or one of the TZ copies? Some woman is trapped in a bunker with a guy who seems crazy, telling her nuclear war happened and he saved her life. In the end it turns out that a local atomic plant had a melt down and the rest of the country if fine.

I don't remember that episode, but the very first episode of TZ deals with a guy who thinks he is the only survivor of a neutron bomb attack but is in fact being studied by the government to see how the mind would react to such a situation.