Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Food Wishes Chicken Tikka Masala
That resolution's way too high. WHOOPS!

Now, it tastes great, don't get me wrong and maybe it's just because I saw how the sausage got made, but I think it needs something. My dad says it's great but the tomato paste comes on a little strong, maybe. I'm bad at opinions.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

ColHannibal posted:

I never liked mixing bacon into the grind on my beef, you miss out on the texture and have to cook the hell out of your beef.

I wouldn't know, but I think if you crisp up the bacon beforehand it should solve that problem.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

5 lbs of onions
2 lbs of pasta
No regrets

Rigatoni alla Genovese!

It's from Food Wishes. I always compare every pasta dish I make against the spaghetti sauce my dad made for us when we were growing up, and since he never made it the same way twice, it never quite lives up to it. But this meat sauce is pretty amazing nonetheless.
Got some good use out of the mandolin too, despite what Chef John says. It kind of tastes like beef stew. My dad suggested adding garlic to it, but since it cooks for 8-10 hours I think whatever I add will be diminished long after its been added. Unless it's garlic powder maybe? Maybe I should roast it and add it near the end? Also my dad suggested mushrooms which I'm definitely not averse to.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 4, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

redweird posted:

Can I have the recipe for the rigatoni? I'm intrigued by it because I think it would either be super gross or super tasty.
Yeah, here you go Food Wishes Rigatoni Alla Genovese. And here's the video if you just want to watch that.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you liked it you should try pissaladière. It's basically an onion tart and it's both easy and delicious

Interesting. I never would've thought onions could be in anything dessert-like, but it makes sense when you think about it. I'm really tempted to try it. To quote Redweird again in the same post, pissaladière looks like it's could be either astoundingly yummy or a learning experience to look back on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

angor posted:

Sunday morning shakshuka.

I really want to make this sometime. It looks difficult, if only because all eggs hate me.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

THE MACHO MAN posted:

it's stupidly easy and changes your life - do it!

angor posted:

Don't be scared! I totally overcooked the eggs and it was still delicious. Shakshuka is really, really easy to make, and quite forgiving. I totally cheated and used a nonstick to cook this in then transferred to a (warmed) stainless so it was that much more fool proof.

Alright, I'll do it! I'm going to Toxx myself to do it by the end of this upcoming Saturday. I know that's not how Toxxes work, but I'll know and I'll punish myself if I don't do it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Scotch eggs & scotch ales!
Hard boiled eggs from our chickens, wrapped in pork sausage, dusted with seasoned flour, dredged in bread crumbs and double-deep-fried. Served with a dipping sauce of mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Side salad.
That's the first dish they serve you in heaven
He thinks he's people :kimchi:

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

No, that is how toxx works. Quoting for :toxx:
Don't worry, shakshuka is so easy and good that if you don't pull through, you deserve to lose ten bux.
MrSlam eat the eggs
One day I'm gonna get burned by a toxx, but that day is not today.
I found a recipe for shakshuka, so it looks like the hardest part for me will be washing a sink full of dishes beforehand :v:
As a side note, a toxx cooking thread kind of sounds interesting, but I think I'd be the only person in it. I have tons of things I'd love to cook but only enough energy for one recipe or so a week.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Alright, I'll do it! I'm going to Toxx myself to do it by the end of this upcoming Saturday. I know that's not how Toxxes work, but I'll know and I'll punish myself if I don't do it.

No, that is how toxx works. Quoting for :toxx:
Don't worry, shakshuka is so easy and good that if you don't pull through, you deserve to lose ten bux.
E: content for a snipe
MrSlam eat the eggs

WELP! Shakshuka! Sorry for the Naked Lunch pics. That's feta cheese on top. Thanks goats!

I added sausage, a poblano, and an anaheim pepper to the recipe. Unfortunately, all the vegetable chunks were larger than was probably called for. I have horrible knife skills so they're always big and chunky, but they still cook fine. They're not raw or anything. So to make it more saucy and consistent I added tomato sauce (plus more spices) and simmered it for fifteen more minutes. It's really really good, but like I said...eggs hate me. By the time I plated them they skirted the line between barely runny and hard boiled and I was hoping for sunny side up consistency. Oh well. I'll pull them out five minutes earlier next time.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 16, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

angor posted:

Dude, that looks awesome!

Thanks! Now I gotta figure out what exotic foreign recipe (that uses basic ingredients and isn't too hard) to cook next.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Tackled a crawdad/crawfish boil last night. Still not sure what to make of it. Since we're hicks from the southwest crawdads aren't our typical fare (though I guess our state is lousy with them). The biggest challenge was figuring out how to eat the drat things. I eventually learned my own method:
1). Break the back
2). Twist the tail
3). Suck the meat
4). Open it sidewise like a treasure chest
5). Shovel out the carcass

Still though, I don't think it's for me. It's one of those meals that always looks more appetizing to me than it is. It tasted good and we all ate a lot but there was a lot more left sitting around and we're not too keen on the leftovers. Eating it is more a chore than a luxury at this point. Plus throwing away all that boil liquid felt like such a waste. Still, had a fun time. It was good food and a great experiment.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 22, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much did you cook? That plate sure looks empty, haha. You need to dump that stuff on a table outside and go to town.

You're basically there on how to eat them. Pull the tail off, squeeze the head and suck out the juice (only works if you let them soak long enough). Peel off the first couple of tail segments, pull out the meat with your teeth or hands. Move to the next one. The whole process should take about three seconds.
We cooked about 5lbs. Yeah I ditched the plate almost immediately. After taking the pictures it just looked silly. We ate straight out of the bowl most of the night and we ended up using the plates to hold all the discarded shells. I wish I bought more corn! That was the best part of the meal.

FaradayCage posted:

beer, butter, and barbecue sauces are what make crawfish boils amazing.
I knew I forgot something! Butter would've improved this immensely. Not sure about the barbecue sauce though. Next time I make this (if I ever make it again) it'll be for an outdoor get-together instead of an indoor TV-tray night

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I want to go on a date your shakshuka. That looks amazing

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Stinky_Pete posted:

My setup for shrimp tikka masala (used to do chicken but apparently the breed of chicken I have access to is bred with a tiny heart relative to its large body and that ruined it for me).

Not pictured: extra salt, 2/3 cup of heavy cream

Mixin' masala (before the can of crushed tomatoes goes in)

Final product (forgot to get a pic of the shrimp out of the oven)

Very nice! Be sure to post in the Indian food thread!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Tonight I made a fancy obscure American dish. A little something called Green Bean Casserole.

You ever browse the grocery store, see an ingredient, and realize you had to make something with it immediately? Well the green bean harvests have started coming in so I knew I needed to make this right away.

No, I didn't use a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup or fake onions

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

I have an aversion to most green bean casserole. Yours is the stuff I would eat, no question. That is gorgeous.

I would like to know your recipe for this. I tried making GBC from real ingredients one Thanksgiving and it came out even shittier than the canned soup version.
From that point I believed the dish was probably invented by Campbell's to sell their otherwise-inedible cream of mushroom soup, but your pics indicate it is possible to do it for real

Thanks so much! I used the Good Eats recipe with one or two minor adjustments. Adjustments like writing down the recipe in its entirety and then losing the notebook and trying to remember all the ingredient amounts. I substituted paprika for cayenne since we're an unspicy household and I forgot to spray the baking sheet with canola oil so I had to pry the onions off the tinfoil, but the upside is that it did make for some good caramelization. I got mini-bellas and CRIMINY for the mushrooms. This recipe calls for blanching the beans for 5 minutes, but if you like green beans soft and mushy like my dad and not slightly crisp like me then you may want to boil them longer.

If you ever come across a recipe that calls for a can of mushroom soup, the non-processed equivalent I guess is:
-Cook 12oz mushrooms in butter, seasoned in salt and pepper, over medium high for 5 minutes
-add 2 cloves minced garlic and 1/4th tsp nutmeg, cook 1-2 minutes
-add 2 tbs flour, cook 1 minute
-add 1 cup broth, cook 1 minute
-lower temperature to medium-low, add half-and-half, cook 6-8 minutes

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 6, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Cross-posting from the Indian thread

MrSlam posted:

Chicken (and Shrimp) Tikka Masala!

It turned out great! My dad bought a box of Indian spices most of which I know nothing about. I threw in some smoke powder, Ajwain seeds, and Pomegranate Powder. I don't know what difference they made but this was a lot better than the last version. I also used "whole" coconut milk and the tomato paste that comes from a tube rather than the canned kind. This is probably the best tasting thing I've made all year.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

That Works posted:

I'm no expert on cajun food either but just started one since its something I like to cook and we didn't have a central thread on.

You can totally do one, just make sure to leave a lot of space in the OP and make a few reserved posts right after and update them with links to / summaries of other peoples content as good stuff rolls in. Threads that have good OP's and are curated well as good things come in are useful even if the content isn't yours / your specialty.

Suggestion for Thread Title: "Southern Food: It is a good day to fry. Do you want to live forever?"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I would do a lot of dark stuff for those fries right about now

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I've been transcribing my late grandma's index card recipe box. A lot of the recipes are barebones 50's-70's housewife recipes, specifically a housewife who lived in the boonies and didn't know/care much about gastronomy or the culinary arts.

On a whim I decided to give one of the recipes a shot. It's the exact opposite of GWS material, but here you go. This is her Sour Cream Chicken:

I was going to write down the recipe here, but it's a can of Mushroom Soup, a cup of sour cream, and 6 chicken breasts. Since we're not savages we coated the chicken in spices, thinned the sauce in milk, and used a low sodium can of mushroom soup.
We served it over rice made with chicken broth. It wasn't bad, my dad definitely liked it. But since I'm cutting back on salt I tasted the distinct lack thereof. The sauce it made was pretty yummy though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

ColHannibal posted:

Please burn the leftovers in a fire and hope they don't come back and haunt you.

Ironically to exorcise my grandma's spirit I'd have to salt the leftovers.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Kumbamontu posted:

I tried leeks for the very first time a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. I cut the dark green bits off then slice in half lengthwise (then wash them vigorously cause of all the grit), use about 1/2 T olive oil to coat them and liberally sprinkle with kosher salt. I put them under the broiler when the steak had ~3 minutes left to cook, with the cut side down. Super easy and really, really tasty.

I'm definitely cooking with them when I get home tonight. They look and sound fantastic.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

This isn't fair. Now I have to eat fried chicken and I don't have any ingredients for it.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 22, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Pies for the Pie God

Two of the pies have dough made from scratch that I snuck a little apple cider into. It made me realize both how fulfilling it is to make dough from scratch and how much more convenient pre-made dough really is. I'll probably end up buying my pie dough from now on.

The berry pies were originally supposed to be strawberry-rhubarb, but rhubarb's going out of season here so it's hard to find. I hear there's another harvest coming in near the end of July but til then I'll just have to settle for triple-berry custard pie instead.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Civetta posted:

I wanted to make something as a thank-you to my friend for catsitting and settled on cheesecake. I've never made cheesecake before, but despite almost ruining it twice it came out decently well! Used the white chocolate raspberry recipe on the GWS wiki, but went with an oreo crust instead of vanilla wafers.

That looks gorgeous. How did you get it to ribbon like that?

edit: My endorsement of your cooking is in no way a reflection of the other gorgeous foods in this thread I didn't comment on

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Save me jeebus posted:

I made 72 hour SV shortribs...pho!

That looks a hella lot more appetizing than the one I had at a restaurant served to us by a 15 years old kid. I guess I'm adding Pho to the giant list of things I need to cook now.

angor posted:

Cross post from the pizza thread.

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/HHmIE
And pizza too! Hot drat!

Jamsta posted:

All I ever post in here is fried chicken, but today I've upped my seasoning game:

How could anyone go wrong with cock-flavored anything? How did it taste? Also, what's your go-to fried chicken recipe?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

This weekend I made Switchel! An old timey 18th Century ""energy"" drink. It's water, molasses, ginger, and apple cider vinegar. It's not bad! Dad wanted me to make him some for his graveyard shift hence why it's in the water bottle.

I also made beef jerky, dried in the oven! It's pretty good, but I realize now I like the taste of the marinade more than the beefiness of the jerky so I should've marinated it longer. it's fine just the way it is. I forgot to mention this before but I added some Balsamic Vinegar to the marinade because we had it and I think that was a great idea.

Farking Bastage posted:

This was the thickest cut of Pork Chop I've ever attempted and I am happy to say I nailed it.

Over 2" thick. I did a little marinade of oil, chili, paprika, rosemary, garlic, Coriander, Thyme and star anise. Gave it a good hard sear in in cast iron with Kerrygold butter then finished in the oven at 425F. Turned out a perfect barely pink. I'm happy :)

Just gorgeous

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 10, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Also, I made Persian Style Rice with real $12.99 Saffron! It's a really delicious technique I'm definitely making again sometime soon! Also in the shot, a delicious Corn Chowder my dad made. Didn't think to take a picture til I was on my second bowl.

1. Soak the rice for a half hour
2. Parboil it for 7 minutes
3. Heat some olive oil on medium
4. Place 1 layer of sliced potatoes on oil
5. Season with salt and cumin
6. Lightly shovel rice on top of potatoes with slices of butter on top
7. Cover with paper towel and lid
8. Set heat to low, steam 45 minutes
9. Mash saffron strands and bloom with hot water
10. Pour saffron water on top

Best part is the crispy rice that got in between the potatoes. If you time it right the potatoes get crispy too.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Morepics

Made Red Beans and Rice

Here it is in the proto Holy Trinity stage. This is as pretty as this is going to get

Now it's boiling, the only difference I made was using Ham Shanks instead of a Ham Hock

Here it is near the end, you can see how much it's reduced in 3-4 hours of cooking, and that I've been mashin' beans

And here's the final product all plated up, absolutely delicious

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I need emergency pork right now, fresh from the pig

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

It's not the best fried chicken I've ever tasted, but it's the best I've ever made

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

William Stoner posted:

Alton Brown's protein bar.

Needed a good snack to put in my bag for outside adventures. This works well, made about 20.

I considered making those once, how did they turn out? Any modifications you'd suggest?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

charliebravo77 posted:

Did some sous vide NY strips, mashed potatoes and sprouts. Turned out pretty well though even with the chimney starter searing it didn't get crusty enough.

Your steak is making me feel inadequate about my meat

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Fenrir posted:

Not sure about the cracked cast iron (how the gently caress does that happen?)

They were defending Hastings from the Normans :black101:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Screw plating! Screw presentation! Here's a big ol dutch oven (half) full of Curry Stand Tikka Masala

I don't feel right using store-bought curry powder so I made my own with Chow Hound's "Traditional" British Curry Powder

Turned out pretty good. Could've used a bit more salt. Plus I used actual ginger instead of ground ginger which I think would've given it more kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

The thing is that those are creole, and that basically counts as its own country.

Doesn't matter, had sex.

• Locked thread