Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Works posted:

Leftover sous vide round steak cuts on toast briefly grilled with a bit of munster on top. Also a heavy tomato soup, thickened a bit with a baked yam for sweetness and some heft, wanted something pretty filling with a lot of overpowering flavors on an extremely cold day.

What about beef on toast with melted muenster screams "overpowering flavors"? I'm certainly not trying to poo poo on your post (since I'd happily eat the hell out of all of that), I'm simply curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tried my hand at Modernist mac & cheese for the first time last night. It was so loving stupidly dead simple, I wonder why I ever settled for the boxed crap before. Absolutely amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sharkattack posted:

roasted parmesan garlic acorn squash

That looks INSANELY delicious and thank you for always linking the recipes embedded in the photo. Also the tofu and kale salad looks bomb.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

cryptoclastic posted:

Was good but a bit too much kimchi.

Is that a thing? I didn't think that was a thing.

(would eat)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sharkattack posted:

fried duck egg sandwich with prosciutto di san daniele and lemon + oil dressed arugula

I couldn't help but read the bolded part above in Lynn Rossetto Kasper's voice.

All your poo poo always looks so good, but shame on you for letting the yolk leak onto the (what looks to me like an Ikea) table! ;)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

blixa posted:

It was a pizza kinda night.

The platonic ideal of pizza, good poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scallops over a warm brussels sprouts slaw with pancetta, a basic risotto, and artichoke and feta focaccia. Was all relatively simple and super good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

I bet this was delicious but your plates are hilarious.

It was delicious and those are actually holdovers from when my girlfriend moved in with me. She's into flowery poo poo, whatever. We've been looking at getting some nice new ones but haven't found a set we agree on (I like square, she likes round).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No-knead dough, colby jack cheese, pepperoni, in cast iron at 550 for around 20 minutes. It was delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Sausage, onion, shroom pizza

Carbonara

Carbonara looks to die for.

What's up with the crust on that pizza? Not sure if it's just the angle but it looks tortilla-thin.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Guanciale is so much better than bacon or panchetta it's not even the same dish with those. So dang good.

The pizza is thin, but I think it just looks super thin in that pic. It's a basic long ferment sourdough that I keep in the freezer and thawed out. To get it that nice thin, juuust crisp texture, I start the pizza in a round pan, then once it sets but is still pale, I slide it off the pan and directly onto the rack to crisp up.

Woof. Absolutely would.

neonbregna posted:

Grilled muenster cheese pastrami on rye with hot pepper spread it owned

That looks loving delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

guppy posted:

Deep dish pizza a la King Arthur:

Money shot NOW please. It looks amazing, but more like an amazing lasagna than a deep dish pizza - let's see some innards!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nacho'd last night. Modernist Cuisine cheese sauce (used jalapeno cheddar, monterey jack, and some queso fresco), guac, some "red chile peppers" (ripened jalapenos), cilantro, and crisped chorizo. I was so loving stuffed I didn't know what to do with myself.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boneless ribeye, with a tomato salad and jalapeņo cheddar bread. Owned.

VVVVVVVVVVV - thanks franco, I was phoneposting after a little too much merlot with the steak :)

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 27, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like fries with mayo, I really do, but the proportion there just seems way off. Way too much mayo. And I love mayo!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Olpainless posted:

I burg'd.

1/2 pounder brisket and rump, with gouda, streaky bacon, sweet potato fries seasoned with sumac, and smoked garlic mayo.
(And a dram of Talisker 10 year.)

Looks awesome!! What kind of bun is that? Is it ciabatta? I've tried to burg on ciabatta buns before but always found them too tough/chewy to really work well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Queso fresco, chorizo, and frijole 'dilla with habanero salsa and sour cream hell yeah

Ra-amun posted:

Fuuuuuuuuu it's too early to see this, my god

Yuuuuuuuuup, gat drat that quesadilla looks amazing

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recipe for the kofte please!!! Just got a grill, need to work it out!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

feelz good man posted:

Beef tongue pastrami

!!!

Looks incredible.

Here's my low-effort Memorial Day food that actually came out pretty well:

Boneless chicken thighs with BBQ sauce, cucumber salad, bacon-wrapped cream cheese stuffed banana peppers (yes it's turkey bacon, the woman doesn't eat the regular kind :()

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iajanus posted:

Slow barbecu roasted a butterflied lamb leg marinated in mint and various herbs. Came out super tender with a little nice burntness on the extremities :D

I like it a little less done, but still... :love::love::love:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I dosed charcoal 15 minutes ago, trip report to follow.

Dosed as in dosed with lighter fluid, or...? If so...don't do that. Get a chimney and drink a beer while the coal gets ready.

There is a lot of good looking poo poo on this page. Nice work to all!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

First was a Greek-ish pizza with green bell pepper, grape tomatoes, feta, kalamata olives, parsley, and pepperoncini.

Second was a muenster, pepperoni, and grilled chicken calzone. No inner pic, but I'm getting better at shaping my calzones and was particularly proud of this one.

Protip: Old Bay on top (on a whim) brought this calzone to the next level.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Filosofem posted:

Double bacon 'cheeseburger' with deep fried frozen waffle fries, fake cheese slices and fried onions. I was drunk as hell making the burger so I'm sorry it's not presented on a plate!

Dang man go post that sexy in the burger thread, that's hot poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I managed to get my girlfriend from "lifetime vegetarian" to "eating red meat" and it only took 3 years :smugdog:

Shallots, onion, sharp cheddar, and pan roasted garlic on a gluten-free bun

How do you eat those

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

check out whati had for lunch today!!

Nooner, it is not cool to lie about what you had for lunch when it was actually someone else. Please edit your post and apologize.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Made Kenji's tomato & smoked feta tart. Doesn't look that great, was really good.

I think that looks goddamn amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

overdesigned posted:

I made a couple hundred potstickers today, because I needed a project.

:eyepop:

I will eat all of your pot stickers.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

Probably. I'm on gas and the burners are only a pathetic 2.5", my clad SS or my older aluminium/copper disc based SS pans probably spread the heat better than CI and get hotter much quicker. While an electric stove has a wider heat spread, and a slow heat increase, so CI works better for you.

Definitely, Like mich I have a crappy electric range and can definitely get a much better sear using my cast iron than a stainless pan. Granted, I have lovely stainless cookware, but still.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

prinneh posted:

What's a good place (website, probably) for newbie ramen cooking? I enjoyed it in Japan a few times, but I was there in the summer and quaffing hot soup wasn't high on my to do list, but it's getting colder now as we're getting into the autumn and I feel like piping hot bowls of noodles with a split hard boiled egg and a beefy broth sounds both delicious and frugal if done right?

edit: Normally I'd just google something like this, but it sounds like there are a few goons who live in japan in this thread, so I thought it might be worth to ask. thanks.

Here's a good recipe, and it's mostly afterthought pig and chicken parts and cheap veggies. Read the accompanying article as it's pretty interesting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

My birthday dinner. Unfortunately, I wasn't the finger on the shutter so I ended up with a shot missing the obvious desirable trait in a steak--the loving red. Ah well.

Suffice to say, the interior was one of the best rare steaks I've ever cooked, thanks entirely to this forum. I got a nice thick cut, did the oven to 125, rested, seared hard.

Served with caramelized onions, roasted brussels sprouts, bacon.

I love that, when offered my choice of restaurants for my birthday dinner, I choose to go shopping for a nice steak and spend all night prepping a nice meal. I have a weird idea of pampering.

That's not weird at all. I think the only thing that separates a restaurant steak from a home-cooked one is the fact that higher-end steakhouses are going to default to prime beef, which is a bit trickier but not at all that difficult for the discerning home cook to find. You got the steak you wanted, you cooked it the way you wanted, had a banging birthday meal, and didn't have to tip. What's not to love?

Looks terrific, by the by.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

paraquat posted:

Google them, they're awesome
and I should make a big batch of them again, thanks for the reminder FdF
after cooking them, I love to bake them with a bit of bacon. Will be doing the onion thing as well next time though

My favorite way to prepare a pierogi is to boil them through to warm the filling and cook the dough, then crisp up the bottom in a skillet with a bunch of butter. Top with sour cream and lots of fresh ground black pepper, and...:yum:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thanksgiving dinner, which was way overkill as it was just me and my wife. The long casserole dish is broccoli casserole (the low-rent version I grew up with and still love), we did rutabaga in lieu of mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (both homemade and the jellied kind, for which I maintain a fondness), pearl onions, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, fresh baked bread, and turkey. All in all it was a great success, we timed everything pretty much perfectly, and had a shitload of leftovers to work through so we froze a bunch. Fat and happy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wookums posted:

Fried chicken

Goddamn

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stinky_Pete posted:

I finally got Cook's Illustrated's Science of Good Cooking, and made eggs that tasted better than I thought was possible for me. Today I followed their arugula, sun dried tomatoes, and goat cheese recipe, which calls for a dozen eggs, and I didn't bother scaling it down because I was afraid of using the wrong size pan. So I just dumped all the goat cheese on top, but I'm planning on reheating some of it later. Do you think it'll be bad to have the goat cheese on it in the microwave? The recipe says to put the cheese on after cooking but I think I might like it better melted on.

It'll be fine, goat cheese doesn't really melt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks! Technique is important, but unless you have an oven that can get over 800f, there's not a ton that you can do, the chemistry just doesn't work out. You can add a little oil to help browning, but it's just not the same. I've tried the pizza steel, max temp, then under broiler for 20 minutes, and any other "home pizza tips!" you have ever heard of. Not even close.

I picked up one of these guys: http://uuni.net/

For only $300, it is pretty excellent. It takes a tremendous amount of micromanagement for heat, has very brief windows where the chamber is hot enough, but not fully engulfed in flame, etc... If anyone gets one, let me know and I can tell you how to actually make it work as advertised. It's nowhere near as easy as the marketing videos for it suggest, but even though it is a pain in the rear end, it's 1/4 the price of the next cheapest thing that can do what it can.

General tips:

- Stop putting stuff in your pizza sauce. There is nothing even close to as good as fantastic tomatoes, passed through a food mill with salt. Carmelina brand won out as the top pick for all 3 of us doing the taste test, cooked and raw. Strianese is the industry standard at most pizzerias, and was a semi-close second for us in the taste test.

- Use less sauce. You are basically just looking for a thin, transparent layer of red. There will be spots of pulp that are completely opaque, but the majority of your sauce should be thin enough to easily see the dough through.

- You need A fat. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the standard to top with. Use a little before the bake, and a decent bit after the bake. If you have a greasy meat on there like salami, forgo the oil entirely, plenty will cook out of the meat.

- Sauce closer to the edge of the dough than you think you should. It will expand significantly, and you will have plenty of crust. I'd say I have about 1/3 inch unsauced edge before cooking, and end up with as much crust as is in those photos.

- When you take your pizza out, it will be steaming from the bottom. If you don't want instant soggy pizza, get some of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KE5OBY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

- Choose your fresh basil by smell. The majority of supermarket basil is the pointier leaf, with a strong licorice aroma/flavor. This sucks. Find the rounder leaf basil that doesn't smell like licorice. Sweet basil? But not the weird thin, domed, light green leaf.

- Buffalo mozzarella is better, but not 3x the price better. Whatever mozzarella you get, break it up into pieces with your hands, and if it comes packed in water, let it sit on paper towels for a bit to absorb excess moisture.

Dough!!!

1000g Caputo 00 flour (red bag, blue also works)
630g water
20g fine sea salt
5g active dry yeast

Mix 80g of warm water with the yeast and a tiny pinch of flour, and let sit for 30 minutes. I have the best results when the yeast is seriously frothy on top.

Mix the flour with the salt, then add the 550g cold water and water/yeast mixture. Mix it up until fully combined, then stop. Let sit for 30 minutes. After that, knead for 20 minutes on the low setting of your mixer with the dough hook. Note: Many people will say not to add the salt at first, because the salt kills the yeast. I watched one of the best pizzaiolos in Italy add the salt straight to the yeast/water mixture, and everything is fine. I add mine with the flour and have never had a problem with it.

Place the whole bowl of dough in the fridge (I keep mine at 37f) for 24 hours. Pull it out, punch it down well, then scrape it out onto a floured cutting board, and portion into 9oz balls. You should get almost exactly 6. Make a ring with your thumb and forefinger, then press the dough through that in order to get a very smooth ball, pinch the bottom together. Put those dough balls into your dough proofing boxes, and back into the fridge for 2 days.

After 2 days, pull the dough out about an hour before you want to use it. Dough temp when forming makes a HUGE difference. Too cold and it will not stretch thin enough. Too warm and it becomes fragile and will tear/get too thin really easily. It should still be slightly cool to the touch, below room temp.

Shape the dough however you want, but the less flour you use, while still not sticking to the board or the peel, the better.

This is how I personally do it, with results that I like. There are a ton of variations, that I am pretty convinced only make minor, if any difference. If you have any other questions, I can get spergier! Just shoot me a PM so I don't further bloat this thread with the rantings of a pizza madman.

This is a great post. I know you said that cooking the pizza in a home oven won't come close to your results (with the gorgeous leopard spots), but I'm okay with that since I'm not going to drop three bills on an outdoor oven I have no room for. Would you make any alterations to your dough recipe if cooked in a standard oven?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Plinkey posted:

I just looked these up and god drat they are pricey. I want one.

I saw these at Marshall's a couple weeks ago for $40. They may also be available at TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, etc..

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Baked falafel pita sandwiches and a Greek-ish salad. It was good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

gipskrampf posted:

Did you make the pitas yourself? If yes do you have a recipe? Mine never inflate that well.

Ha, nope! That is 100% pure grade-A Publix brand pitas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Honeycrisp apples are delicious but too goddamn expensive for goddamn apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ogopogo posted:

Hot drat that looks incredible. I imagine there's wine and bread just out of that picture.

Also, more of the same for lunch. Small bits of parm and gouda that I scrounged, Humboldt Fog, Merlot Bellavitano, some mustard, soppressata and prosciutto.

This looks delicious and now I'm hungry after eating breakfast just a couple hours ago.

Was there color correction on the photo, or was the outside of that avocado really that brilliantly bright green color?

• Locked thread