Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

maniacdevnull posted:

just wanted to pop in and remind everyone of the obvious and unquestionable truth of avr supremacy

please go into detail because I was raised on PICs and know nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
the only programming languages i have ever been half-way competent at are python and pic assembly. nothing inbetween

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

this thread has got me itching and now I want to learn ARM microcontrollers

is this a good idea/what should I buy?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Bloody posted:

I bought a tm4c launchpad board last night. 20 bucks and a cortex m4 and a zillion peripherals n poo poo

I have ordered this board. will post trip report.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

not joking, I once partially wrote some pic assembly code to read output from ps2 devices and it was easy as hell. writing a usb interface from scratch would be a nightmare though

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Werthog 95 posted:

i'm either gonna get a pic or hook up the bus pirate to this teensy thing and see what's goin on i guess thx for the help

when I tried to figure out how usb worked on a low level in order to program a usb device it got way too complicated for me almost immediately. I do not recommend this unless you are a better programmer than me (probable) or you can find someone online who already has 90% of the work done (also probable)

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

putting "pic microcontrollers" on my resume got me a job interview once. that's pretty much the only salient pro I have.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

I was never that good at microcontrollers I just liked them because I thought "wow you can take a circuit that requires hundreds of logic gates and just program a single chip to do it!" :blush:

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite now because I don't like high level programming but I want to know how to build things out of transistors

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

re-teaching myself microcontrollers update: I have received the texas instruments tm4c1294 launchpad and managed to program an led to blink on and off with some example code. very satisfied so far.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

this thing's been sitting around forever and I finally tested it. it works fine

there should be some use for it

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

also while testing junk I realized the old adjustable dc power supply I have is rated for up to 6 amps :eyepop:

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

I don't even have a non-scrub-tier voltmeter

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Mido posted:

you hook up probes to the inputs

you connect probes to loops or conductors

you can now visually map the electrical characteristics of a conductor on a screen

you can configure trigger points when certain edges or thresholds occur, so yo ucan capture pulses of logic happening at realtime

for example you might have three bus lines, one clock, one data, one chip select

when you program the SoC to send some data, it pulls chip select low, clock/data wobble around between 3.3v and 0v (or whatever signal voltage), when it's done transmitting it puts chip select back up at 3.3

to troubleshoot the data you can set up a trigger on the chip select line going high and leave the other line just watching data, you send the data, the scope triggers on that moment in time that the chip select line changed, now you can look at what happened

imagine you're reading a circuits voltage, and simulatenously you're drawing with a pencil horizontally across a piece of graph paper at a constant speed. now while moving the pencil is moving horizontally at the constant speed, you move it vertically up or down to match how high or low the voltage is

you're an oscilloscope!

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Captain Foo posted:

Thanks to u both :)

I feel oscilloscopes probably deserve better than to be described as just fancy voltmeters but I dunno

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

can someone help me pick out a display to buy to hook up to a microcontroller? previous experience: making a single 7-segment display spell out "yourE gAy" one letter at a time.

I'm looking at stuff like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/661 http://www.adafruit.com/products/358 but I dunno what products/stores are good

I don't have any specific goal in mind I just wanna buy one and goof around with it

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Mido posted:

generate wave forms, push them onto the DAC, pray the DAC characteristics aren't total poo poo

just use filtering caps. filtering caps can fix anything

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Usagi-Sauce posted:

help me yospos i have a cool as balls tektronix analogue scope from like 1980 i pulled out of a skip a few years back in storage at my dad's place

as far as i know it just needs a new fuse and now i want a cool excuse to haul it across national borders to my new place

my electronics work goes as far as dicking around with an arduino a few times so I don't have the highest hopes for being able to justify this.

hook it up to a microphone and see what your voice looks like :eyepop:

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

where do you even get probes for something like that?

e: have you considered "donating" it for a tax write off?

Tin Gang fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 31, 2014

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

most of my electrical stuff lately has been less "cool projects" and more "learning a poo poo ton of math"

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Bloody posted:

Cool let's talk about math then

did you know that the basic equation describing the attraction between charges has never needed to be corrected in hundreds of years? it is as accurate for systems the size of an atom as it is for entire galaxies

take that mechanical engineers!

Tin Gang fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 1, 2015

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Sagebrush posted:

Also, the Pythagorean theorem has never been disproven or needed any additional coefficients added in the thousands of years since it was first created.

mathetical proofs are not equivalent to laws of physics!!!

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

if I specced these out wrong BOY am I gonna look really stupid

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Bloody posted:

those are some expensive caps what are they

they are caps that can handle super high frequencies/high voltages for a tesla coil. if the thing gets an hour of run time before something burns out I'm calling it a victory

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

p sweet alpha channel

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

thing I heard from an old engineer the other day:

you know at a high enough frequency, electricity will destory your nerves before anything else, so you can't even feel it killing you. so what is the first thing you notice when being shocked by a high frequency voltage?

the smell of flesh burning, of course!

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

currently planning to try getting sound output from a microcontroller. I think I'll use an msp430 to read sound data in AU format from an SD card and output everything to an external DAC

welp that's the tin gang half-baked electronics project update hope you liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

Bloody posted:

in my inbox: "microchip acquires atmel"

:rip:

two great tastes that go great together, imo

• Locked thread