Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This is one of the best new podcasts this year and it would tragic if it kept going without a thread.

What is The Dollop?

From the ashes(?) of Walking the Room, Dave Anthony started his own podcast called The Dollop. The first few episodes were by himself, about small subjects or topics Dave wanted to complain about mostly. But soon he added a guest named Gary Reynolds, and it switched focus to the strangest tales from American history. Every week, Dave finds another tale to share with Gary and us.

If you're familiar with Walking The Room, you can expect the same kind of humor, (Wil Anderson of TOFOP appeared at the Podfest episode, Patton Oswalt will be on a future episode,) but more focused and less about terrible neighbors. If you're not familiar, expect a lot of strong language and explicit discussions.

The Hosts:

Dave Anthony

GarethGary Reynolds

Where should I start?
The whole run can be found here. You should be able to start at the beginning and go from there, but anywhere is good to jump in. Personal favorites of mine are Dolphins, David Hahn, and The Two Dog Men.

Other:
LA Podfest 2014 show with Wil Anderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlw3vIa66tI

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/thedollop

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/thedollop?ty=h

Maduo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

New episode is up and it's on the internet's favorite history subject:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Wow, that looks really nice. Do they still operate on the pay-what-you-want system and give out sassy newspapers?

I'm glad this one ended on a happy ending ( :haw: ), the 3rd chapter of this story is probably not going to be as sweet.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That is exactly what hooked me as well. You think you know the story of the guy who fed acid to dolphins and then all of a sudden dicks start getting removed bloodlessly.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rodyle posted:

I couldn't finish the test site episode because of their idiocy regarding nuclear politics.
I'm super pro-nuclear but I didn't really mind them on this one, it could have been much worse.

Rodyle posted:

(oh my god that Talleyrand poo poo)
This drove me fuckin crazy though.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I thought Luke McGregor got a lot better by the second half of that one, once he slowed down and stopped squeaking enough that I could understand what he was saying. I also don't get bothered by the audio problems as much but I've been listening through speakers a lot more than headphones lately so :shrug:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

abraham linksys posted:

holy poo poo did my face light up when I saw the subject of today's episode

♪ Come huff spray paint and shoot your friends! At Action Park! ♪

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm not a huge audio dork or anything, but the two channel hiccup on the funeral home episode is making it very tough to listen to for some reason.

This reminds me; last week a dollop finally had the audio go bad enough that Dave didn't post it on the main feed. Instead he put it up Here. If you can stand a loud buzzing noise for 8 minutes, I thought it was a pretty funny one. I have a feeling some people will find this less annoying than some of the other issues :v:.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

In general I find live podcasts to be a crapshoot because so many clubs have horrendous recording setups and/or the recording gets mangled. We Hate Movies live episodes are consistently unlistenable.

caligulamprey posted:

Didn't they ask for suggestions via email early on in the show? I remember sending in a few, but never got a response. My guess is they got enough entries in that first push to last for awhile.

I figure that because there's no other explanation for not having a Smallop on Bubbles the Chimp. Every sentence in that Wikipedia article is insane.

They asked a few episodes back as well, and there's a submission form up on the website. I doubt they're running out any time soon but I sent in a local story for kicks anyway.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

tnimark posted:

Honestly when I first heard about this I kinda assumed Dave would be a dick about it, although I'm disappointed to be right. He's always come across as a bit of a self-righteous prick. I don't think he's the 'admit fault and apologise' kind of guy.

Yeah unfortunately this is kind of par for the course. If I had to make guesses at the future I'd say he'll probably change things around or find some way to credit his sources but be a real rear end in a top hat about it for a month or so.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

You don't even need to hire a dude for research, just skim a couple internet pages about a historical event and then just retell it to Gary. Literally using the exact same words is just pointless and dumb

Eh, it needs to be written in a way that's easy to present and coherent, and I can see the argument that he just doesn't have the time to do that himself twice a week and still do comedy shows and write for TV. There's just a lot of gulf between that and having zero citations whatsoever. Just a little citation page on his website would be sufficient for me.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Practical Demon posted:

I don't think a citation on a show page that most listeners won't see, or a mention at the very end will be enough for damninteresting, though.

The way that post sounded, I don't think anything would be enough for damninteresting at this point. It's just enough to acknowledge that Dave is not writing these things and that the content of the show is really him and Gareth's banter and reactions. That seems to be enough to placate a lot of people here, and I assume a majority of fans.

Whether that's enough for places like damninteresting that carry stories like this is a crazy gray area that a lot of internet content is skidding into, but Dave has to at least make an effort to be in that gray area.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Good thing I came into this podcast not thinking anything of Dave to begin with

This is the correct approach. Dave Anthony is a very funny, deeply flawed man. I half-expected he would register an account to call us all cunts for poo poo talking him like this.

That said he did the thing I wanted about as well as I thought he would, so I don't really feel any guilt listening to this going forward. Of course, assuming he's not lifting from DI or anyone against him citing their work for profit anymore. Again, content in the internet age: a series of crazy gray areas.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

toanoradian posted:

Also the twentieth president and first feline president of the USA, famously so.

You could probably do a whole series on famous people murdered by awful 18th and 19th century doctors.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

But that's the weird thing, the audio quality really wasn't bad at all. I could think of several podcasts put out this week, by people being paid real money from someone other than patreon, with much worse audio quality than that episode. At this point i'm much more annoyed by the people who complain constantly about audio quality than Dave Anthony's crazy spite brain.

EDIT: also for the curious you didn't miss much, Ulysses S. Grant really, really hated jews, then pretended he didn't

Maduo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 21, 2015

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

But did they celebrate and was it so nice?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I was amazed how much material there was on 'these two dudes wanted to gently caress each other's wives' but it just kept coming.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Drunkboxer posted:

Because, although funny, both of these men are idiots

Honestly, it's better this way.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Toxxupation posted:

when it comes to crazy videogame stories, pretty much everything after ET is much more interesting than what came before. I mean, Sega's whole "extreme" attitude with Sonic all tappin' his feet and poo poo helped usher in the cultural sensibilities of the 90s, and it's pretty much the only reason that Sega even had a chance against the dual monsters of the NES and SNES. Sega was able to market itself as cooler and edgier which is what the 90s were all about

And then you get stuff like same-day announcement and release of the Saturn, or the implosion and death of the Dreamcast and Sega as a console manufacturer, or Microsoft's hilariously mixed entry into the console market: going from a technically revolutionary but deadweight system that they immediately abandoned in favor of a forced, immediate upgrade to the seventh generation that was so accelerated and so jumping-the-gun that microsoft ended up having to pay literal billions in hardware failures. But it still worked because of Sony's $600 price tag and dumb poo poo like the "working two jobs"comment and the 18 month advantage that the 360 had, combined with the revolutionary improvements to Live reversing Microsoft's fortunes to go from distant last place to clear first place and definitive dominance in a nine-year span. Which Microsoft then somehow pissed away all of that goodwill in, like, gently caress...a two month timespan? with the announcement of the policies they were implementing in the Xbone permanently, irrevocably tainting their brand in a way that they'll never recover from this console cycle. Like the Xbone poo poo is so crazy and such an amazing confluence of the worst possible business decision made at every possible time one could make a business decision that Sony ended up getting heaps of crazed praise simply by literally going "yeah, we're...not gonna do any of that"

That stuff is interesting in a History Of Videogames sense, but compared to other dollops the Atari story lines up better. The 599 US dollars and always online xbone stuff is dumb and funny in their own context, but it's not like Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick were doing rails of coke in an abandoned roller rink. If anything there's some large chunks of the Atari story that were left out, like how the people actually making the games for the 2600 made almost no money off them and got no credit, or the real sputtering tail end Atari stuff like a couple of people have mentioned.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Rory Scovel is really loving funny and he was good (albeit maybe overly silly) in the live ep imho

Agreed. He was channeling a little Todd Glass, which I guess is not everyone's thing?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That's what I meant by him channeling Todd Glass. He was trying to get that laugh to wrap around back to being funny again real hard. It just about squeaked over that line for me but boy am I not surprised it didn't make it there for others.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

oatgan posted:

all the best dollops are about baseball

As the most American sport it should be no surprise its history is riddled with insanity

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I love yelling about politics too guys, but we shouldn't force it on normal people and there are like 20 threads elsewhere on this forum you can have this discussion.

I will say I do miss Greg though, I wish he'd guest on a dollop. That might go horribly wrong, but oh well.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The ones people have mentioned are definitely contenders but I'd like to add Nim The Chimp to the list of huge bummers to avoid. I'd also agree that most of the bummer episodes are really strong in their own right, (Macquarie Island might be my favorite episode now because I'm an awful person I guess,) so if you're in a certain mood, maybe swing back around to a couple of them.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

:stare: Worlds are colliding here, goddamn.
Wonder how well Chapo's irony-heavy humor will mesh the Dollop's focus on reacting to crazy poo poo.

I think it depends on if they know whatever story Dave pulls. They've done some good reaction poo poo before.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

AriadneThread posted:

a sponsorship with a therapist seems a little on the nose

I like it when podcasters use the products they advertise for, it feels more authentic.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Unfinish3d posted:

Been really into this podcast recently, after being recommended the episodes on Trump and the Iraq war, which are still some of my favorites. Are there any more episodes on recent political history stuff?

also it's amazing how boring schools make history seem, if they threw in just a little bit of the hosed up stories that The Dollop covers I think there'd be a lot more people interested in history in general.

also

gonna listen to this one now

edit: also want to say that their intro is kind of terrible, but that's alright

Jade Helm does double duty in being recent political history and a hosed up thing you probably don't know the whole story on. It doesn't leave quite as big ripples on current politics like the Trump or Iraq episodes, but the parts with Alex Jones are maybe more relevant now than when the episode came out.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rodyle posted:

yeah I was about to say, jesus christ Dave

It's not gonna stop until trump buys that talkspace subscription

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The complaint this time seems less like a direct accusation of plagiarism and more "sure I was cited but in the least respectful way possible." The Dollop is in a weird space between the comedy and history worlds at this point and the latter is way more rigid about how citations and transformative use works than the former, although the method of dealing with it being "yell at them in public until everyone boos them enough for them to stop" seems the same.

Reading back on this thread the last time this came up (2015 was 4 years ago what is time) I thought what they're doing now would be sufficient. Now that I see how other podcasts handle the same kind of lane, it does come off as the bare minimum. I don't know that it's outright malicious though, and as I guessed last time Dave will probably make a stink and then come around to whatever makes sense, at least for single article Dollops like this one.