Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its because theyre lazy populist bureaucrats that only care about sustaining ratings with practiced methods of hiring chevy chase-types and john belushi-types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Who exactly qualified as a chevy chase type? Unless you just mean white male? I can't think of anyone they've had who's like chase.

straight white straightman that can still be very silly. chase, murray, myers, sandler, norm, ferrell, sudeikis, bennett, etc etc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
HIRE! MORE! SASSOS!!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

life is a joke posted:

I'm not saying that criticism is nice, and I didn't say everyone likes it, just that it is most definitely absolutely going to happen if you put yourself out there at all, and sometimes people are telling you valuable things that you might need to hear. The difference with him is that he's a huge whiney baby about it, yeah Donald Glover doesn't like criticism but he also doesn't post rants like "you know what I do this FOR FREE and i am done. So done ugh!". Donald Glover told Kimmel that he's sensitive and avoids the internet, not that people are ruining his good time and pissing him off. That's a lot different.

Like I said I just started from the ep 1, and somewhat recently got to the one following him being criticized for reading other people's work word-for-word and giving no credit, and instead of saying something even remotely cool he has this sarcastic whine about how SOME PEOPLE think there should be sources and will begrudgingly post them online, and then "apologises" on r/thedollop and does more of a sorry-not-sorry about fair use and copyright.

So whatever the source is, reddit or otherwise, he is a baby and withholds content and fan engagement, and sounds like a petulant turd justifying himself.

e: also just because there's no fee to download an episode does not mean that a.) it's being done out of the goodness of someone's heart and they make nothing for it, and b.) obvious flaws may not be discussed for some reason? because it's free?

i think im coming in a little hot on the whole thing, i obviously love the show and the hosts since i still listen, it does annoy me a little but im not gonna ruin the thread about it anymore

disengage dude

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

echomadman posted:

Gareth scooped Dan Carlin, Hiro Onada is a big part of the start of the newest hardcore history episode.

haha nice

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Real Quaid posted:

Cool. What percentage of the vote did Nazis get in the 1940 US election?

44.8%

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hes raging against the dying of the light

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Personally I don't want them to ever mention anything that has any paralells to current events again. Everytime they do, I have to shut the episode off out of sheer depression.

ah....i have some bad news about the relationship between history and reality

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Veskit posted:

I mean they do have paid researchers and they do cite everything soooooo....??? Seems like pretty old news

no, they dont have on mic citations, so its not legitimate citation. u dont know ANYTHING about proper MLA formatting for podcasts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think it makes more sense for nothing to change because nobody cares and it doesnt matter

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Slanderer posted:

it is rarely mentioned on the podcast, versus the description that no one sees unless they look. what's your point?

whats YOUR point? they have sources for every episode, are u mad they dont spend an additional ten minutes at the top listing news articles and books? why dont u send an email to dave anthony about it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Nobody is saying that the entire concept of the Dollop is morally indefensible. The Soylent episode having a ton of sources is a good thing. But if they're going to base an episode almost entirely around a single source--like the welfare queen one, and I assume others like the hippo one--the absolute least they could do is give credit to that source specifically. It would add an extra 15 seconds or so to a podcast that regularly doesn't get started until minute 12.

the welfare queen and hippo episodes are both over two years old?????

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Maybe dave anthony should spend less time traumatizing his son and more time redistributing the value of the labor he stole :)

die

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I never watched the West Wing but am I correct in assuming that people hate it now because they blame the show for making politicians think they can simply debate everything calmly like civilized people instead of screaming at each other and that no longer applies?

it lionized the bipartisan

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm sure that this request has been asked before, but I didn't see it in any recent posts: I started listening to the Dollop when they dropped their episodes on Trump, and while I'm not a regular listener (the audio recordings from some of their live shows tend to be a turn-off for me, so I usually end up skipping those episodes), my favorite episodes have been about other assholes like McCain, Bush, Reagan, etc. or events like the Veterans' Stand or the Third Wave. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar episodes?

huey long, tesla vs edison, jim traficant, proctor and satan, the resnicks,

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
erik prince

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
and, of course, the LAPD saga

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all the reverse dollops are amazing. pulgasari is a must-listen

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
jade helm episode is great as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
been thinking about my favorite episodes all day.....thanks for asking this question op

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I really want to enjoy this podcast because they cover some interesting stuff, but the comedian guy is one of the most annoying people I’ve ever heard in my life. Every time he interrupts the other guy mid sentence with some unfunny, insanely loud bit I just want to clock him.

you suck, dave’s asides are much worse than gareths

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
part of the fun of this show really is how aware the listener is of how little gareth knows

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not mad they want to make money off their show that I enjoy. They jam all the ads together in one block that's easy to skip through, so it's fine.

yeah i just mash the skip 30 sec button until it seems like the episode has started, then keep mashing when i realize it hasnt

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ohhh bert kreischer is the quicksand fetish guy. i forgot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i always listen to podcasts out of a marshall stack so this is no issue for me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the recent ronald reagan 2 parter is hilarious

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

How are the Abbie Hoffman episodes? I've been afraid to listen.

theyre very funny

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whats the school? is it the citadel?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

So is this one worth 20 bucks?

without having watched it, no

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

The Batavia Shipwreck.

gareth is really not having a good time in this episode. seems like a drunk audience member is being super annoying and constantly distracting him

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bollig posted:

So I have been either busy or without a commute for the past two years or so and I've only gotten to listen to a few (Reagan, bridges of Milwaukee, Mince Pie) but are there a couple heavy hitters you'd recommend during that time? BTW I had been seeing references to can openers and beans so thanks for helping me out there

find the dollop uk feed snd listen to surgeon joseph lister, and the gin craze

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe the proctor & gamble & satan episode too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Just listened to The Cereal Man and Two Indigenous Actors episodes. Gareth's reactions to who they were about were the best. What other episodes have him finally connect the dots at some point?
Like, it took him so long finally figure out who the Kellogg was in the Cereal episode and it was :discourse:

john pemberton’s drug tonics

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

If it's got Wil Anderson as a guest, it's probably going to be a pretty good episode, even if the story itself isn't amazing. However, Marion Zioncheck is amazing.

-

I'm going through the back catalog (again), and I forgot about the celebrity cameos in the Kidnapping of Brooke Hart.

"Brooke wasn't on the ship. Do you know who was on the ship? Babe Ruth!" "What? Why?" "I don't know, he was just there."

"Naturally, [the pillowcase floating in the bay] brings us to child actor Jackie Coogan." "Okay, buddy, I'm gonna take off. I'll see you later" (I love that joke every time it happens; when Dave says something that's just too much for Gareth so he's 'done'). Dave then diverts the story to talk about Jackie Coogan and how, for some reason, people thought his pillowcase was in the bay and therefore he had something to do with the kidnapping.

Also, the bit where the kidnappers want a radio installed in the Studebaker reminded me of a bit from another episode but I can't remember the episode: "You're gonna take a nice trip on the train and get off at murdah" in stereotypical "Noo Yawk" accents, and I think they keep adding more elaborate stops and instructions ending in "get off at murder." Anyone else know what I'm talking about from that brief terrible description?

Edit: What is everyone's favorite Reverse Dollop (or Pollod, as nobody but Gareth calls them)? I like Nim the Chimp, Domino's Pizza, and The Story of Atari. Atari has the smallest amount of sad/bad stuff, so I guess if I had to pick one as an absolute favorite, it'd be that one.

phantom of the open is the best reverse dollop imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

youre doing gods work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I get a scary vibe from Dave sometimes. Like, someday he could commit a murder-suicide to spare his family from climate change. I don't think he will, but I certain can't imagine Laurie Kilmartin or Patton Oswalt killing their kids.

lol this is such an insane post

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ok do better than being this way. Like, as a person.

youre insane lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
itll probably be biden or kamala or some other relevant political figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

That's not the one with Col. Sanders, is it? Because that slow revelation is so good.

its the one with the men who invented cereal. youre thinking of the episode called colonel harlan sanders